• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spoony Experiment

What a classy answer you have for everything.

I'm not super knowledgeable about american mental health care ect. but he really hasn't been doing anything to keep revenue coming from fans. If he is so sick that he cannot do any work (like, the last video posted on his channel is 8 months ago) then it's up to professionals to take care of him.

My two concerns are can Noah even afford medical help? And my more pressing one is will some one get him the help he needs before he does something dangerous :(

Yeah. When I see this thread bumped, I can't help but to peak inside.

I'm always hoping for good news. I generally liked his opinions on games/movies/wrestling even if he did exaggerate a tad.

He had a fan out of me.

Get well soon. Who knows what he is really going through.

I hope this becomes like a desperate dump of his content that he's been working on. Anything to stay afloat. I know he waited WAY WAY too long, but goddamn... I hope he pulls through.

Ray Down

Banned
Yeah was not expecting that kind of update when I saw it got bumped...

Hopfully Spoony can get help from his friends and family.

Jawmuncher

I STILL watch his reviews now. I have them in regular circulation.
So i'm still hoping for him to get the help he needs and to come back. Since despite everything I think he could.

s_mirage

Sad news, but not entirely unforseeable. Hopefully he can get help from his family.

I STILL watch his reviews now. I have them in regular circulation.
So i'm still hoping for him to get the help he needs and to come back. Since despite everything I think he could.

I do too, but I don't think the Patreon model would work again any time soon. I still suspect that the initial huge Patreon success was the worst thing that could have happened to Spoony.

Renekton

I'm not super knowledgeable about american mental health care ect. but he really hasn't been doing anything to keep revenue coming from fans. If he is so sick that he cannot do any work (like, the last video posted on his channel is 8 months ago) then it's up to professionals to take care of him.
I think healthcare-wise you're pretty fked there if you didn't land an employer with a good plan?

1upsuper

I mean... try to do some work for a change.

I know he has issues but if he truly is so sick that he cannot work at all it's time to really throw yourself at professional help.

So how will professional help pay his mortgage?

Most likely, he needs money and professional help, and your get a job or get help solution doesn't account for both simultaneously. If he's unable to work, the paperwork for unemployment/SSI isn't likely to be easy for him if he has poor mental health. It's a pretty grim combo, but I hope he manages to pull through.

Veelk

Banned
Well, he's been effectively running on fumes for a long time now.

I genuinely wonder what exactly changed in his life to bring him to this position.

Indelible

I would love to see Spoony get the help he needs and get back into making videos, he was really talented which makes this even more disappointing.

Well, he's been effectively running on fumes for a long time now.

I genuinely wonder what exactly changed in his life to bring him to this position.

Scarlett breaking up with him then getting fired by tgwtg seemed to have been when his mental health issues really exploded. Combine that with his addiction to twitter and the rest is history.

So how will professional help pay his mortgage?

Most likely, he needs money and professional help, and your get a job or get help solution doesn't account for both simultaneously. If he's unable to work, the paperwork for unemployment/SSI isn't likely to be easy for him if he has poor mental health. It's a pretty grim combo, but I hope he manages to pull through.

Over here if you are unable to work due to depression ect. you will be given enough money for an apartment and all other neccessities, just like regular unemployed people.

I'd hope USA isn't so far gone that every poor mental health patient is thrown to the streets. Also Spoony is lucky in the sense that he has family that I'd imagine would help sort this stuff out.

At the beginning, his patreon went into the 5000-10000 per month, so he could live off it.
That did not help him in the long run.
You could only rely on patreon for so long until people get fed up and stop pledging. He needs to start making content again with actual effort and money should start coming in. But that would involve him having to get his life together which is looking bleak right now

Pachinko

Noah has been battling a sleeping issue for over a year now which combined with the bipolar disorder makes for some bad times. The incident that hits him the most is "Jew wario" and his suicide years ago , brings that up during the anniversary every year. Twitter gives him a safe and easy outlet , I think we've all been there too , you lack some energy so you sit on a bed or lounge on a couch and just tweet or read tweets and before you know it , hours have passed.

All anyone can do is which him the best in recovering on his own terms. That's why mental illness is a real bastard of a disease.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Seeing that the thread is going strong at the moment. Maybe someone can answer a question about something that happened years ago. Before his meltdown. When he was still with his old girlfriend and part of CA.

I think he posted a video on his site, took it down later and added a short comment about it.

From what I remember he took it down because people attacked someone who was in the video with him. I think he said he is okay with people going after him but they should stay away from his family(?). Doubt it was his brother, because he was in later videos.

Maybe someone here remembers or even saw that video. Always wondered what that was about.
Scarlett showed herself on video as a kind of thank you at the end of a fundraising video or something.

The comments immediately went into swamp mode due to her weight.

TeaJay

Well, this is all kitchen psychology, but he really seemed like he was happy with April, with the new house, still making content, then it just started to dwindle down. Maybe he was just losing interest, out of ideas, etc. .. but you can't always rationalize depression and mental illness.

On the other hand I'm sad for him since I know very well about financial instability and the depression it causes (among other things) but on the other I feel like someone said, he had years to correct his situation. People giving him money in Patreon for basically his welfare was probably hurting him more than helping.

I sincerely hope he gets his things in order.

Feorax

Think it's going to take a major shift in his own mindset to change anything. I just don't think it's possible for him to willingly get help as he is right now. Terrible shame.

Mugen08

I'm also sad about Spoony's situation. Had such high hopes when he went to Patreon at first. But then depression is not to be taken easy, I have also had years of creative drought due to it. Not until I switched jobs this year did I feel I started to get interested in stuff again. It's hard for people around to help. One tends to compare with everyone else that seems that much more successful and "ahead" in life.

Feorax

The biggest thing hanging over his head professionally right now seems to be all the unfulfilled paternoster pledges (not just the movie). Sometimes you just need a clean slate.

posted on his twitter today:

My time is up. I'm out of money. I'm going to lose my house and everything else.
5:04 AM - 23 Jul 2017

https://twitter.com/TheSpoonyOne/status/889093831718731776
I clicked this thread hoping for good news, but knowing that wouldn't be the case.

I feel bad for him, I really do, but this has been brewing for years. The guy was making thousands a month on patreon and did not produce any contrnt afterwords. He never kept his patrons informed or updated. It was inevitable that the money would dry up after years of not doing anywork. If Spoony was producing regular work and this still happened to him somehow I would feel really bad and might even toss money in a fund to help the guy. It double sucks because Spoony was always one of the most talented and funny internet review guys. If he had regular work he could have continued to grow his fanbase after TGWTG and could be huge right now. Squandered potential.

I think patreon was probably the worst thing to happen to spoony as a creator. He never had the best work ethic and always had difficulty putting out regular content. But when you are dependent on add revenue, there's a force pushing you to get content out there. With patreon the money comes in regardless of whether you're putting out content, at least for a while. It took years of him doing nothing for his patreon to dry up.

I also have to imagine that when he lived with Miles and his parents they were on his ass about him pulling his weight more that April ever could.

Sucks for him but the ability to present this was there and it was spoony's sheer irresponsibility for years that lead to this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I totally understand how you can let it spiral because I've been there. You just can't face reality so it's easier to just put on blinders and go into mental fetal position and ignore everything else. I hope he gets some help, which begins with talking to someone who can give him some advice/a plan.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I mean honestly, where does he expect the money to come from, he's not creating content, he's not producing anything creative, he doesn't seem to have a regular job I presume and he's on Twitter (even still) 24/7.

And that's not for this week, but for years now. All he needs is one or two good videos and people would be back at his channel. I'm sorry, it's very hard to feel bad for him after seeing the whole story where he stole his fans' money to do.. nothing with it, I guess.

Zatoth

Scarlett showed herself on video as a kind of thank you at the end of a fundraising video or something.

The comments immediately went into swamp mode due to her weight.

Thanks for clearing that up.

As for Spoony's current situation. I really hope he gets the help he needs.

TeaJay

One thing that annoys me that Spoony has been so bad at organizing things for years, even when he was doing fine. He hasn't bothered to upload his old videos on his site or replace dead links. Some of the best stuff he's done is probably forever gone, since he's only uploaded a fraction of it to Youtube. I wish he'd had the sense of having someone as his editor/web site organizer when he was churning out stuff.

Or "forever gone" in the sense that "until Spoony gets around to digging the video files and uploading them again" and since it hasn't happened yet, it will probably never happen.

s_mirage

One thing that annoys me that Spoony has been so bad at organizing things for years, even when he was doing fine. He hasn't bothered to upload his old videos on his site or replace dead links. Some of the best stuff he's done is probably forever gone, since he's only uploaded a fraction of it to Youtube. I wish he'd had the sense of having someone as his editor/web site organizer when he was churning out stuff.

Or "forever gone" in the sense that "until Spoony gets around to digging the video files and uploading them again" and since it hasn't happened yet, it will probably never happen.

It's hard to make an accurate judgement about someone you don't know, but it does seem like Spoony makes things harder for himself than need be. He gives the distinct impression that he likes to do absolutely everything himself. That's fine if you can actually do that, but it doesn't seem like he can. Similarly, he needs to accept help for his mental health situation, which some of his tweets suggest he isn't that willing to do either.

IMO, the Patreon was a mistake. Without it, he would have been forced to take stock of his situation much earlier. As someone who can have motivational issues themself, I can imagine that suddenly getting ~5K a month with no oversight wouldn't do much to push me to work.

Jawmuncher

I have a good chunk of his older videos on a Hard Drive. Might looks into uploading them at some point. Since a large chunk of his videos do only exist as versions with Russian Subs.

Saoshyant

I have a good chunk of his older videos on a Hard Drive. Might looks into uploading them at some point. Since a large chunk of his videos do only exist as versions with Russian Subs.

Please do. You can always take down later on if Spoony uploads them himself and gets things back on track including seeking some professional counseling (hard to believe at this point, but I hope for the best).

I still have his rips of when he posted After Last Season on my system (before they got pulled by the company who made the movie). It's seriously a damn good riff.

Jawmuncher

Please do. You can always take down later on if Spoony uploads them himself and gets things back on track including seeking some professional counseling (hard to believe at this point, but I hope for the best).

Will look into doing it

I still have his rips of when he posted After Last Season on my system (before they got pulled by the company who made the movie). It's seriously a damn good riff.

This however I don't have.

Murkas

Saw the bump, saw his tweet, checked out his twitter account and he's back to posting about wrestling for hours. His girlfriend needs to delete the app and break his phone.

Side note, I saw his Tekken video a while back and noticed he'd call himself the Lord of Tekken, why is this? Not once I don't think he's ever:

Uploaded a video of him talking about Tekken or playing Tekken at a competent level
Given an impression he's aware of the lore and/or fighting game mechanics
Attend a tournament
Involved in the Tekken FGC in anyway
etc.

Always found that weird, it doesn't sound like he's saying it as a joke that's going right over my head...

Fury451

Banned
Saw the bump, saw his tweet, checked out his twitter account and he's back to posting about wrestling for hours. His girlfriend needs to delete the app and break his phone.

Side note, I saw his Tekken video a while back and noticed he'd call himself the Lord of Tekken, why is this? Not once I don't think he's ever:

Uploaded a video of him talking about Tekken or playing Tekken at a competent level
Attend a tournament
etc.

Always found that weird, it doesn't sound like he's saying it as a joke that's going right over my head...

I haven't watched Spoony in years now, but Lord of Tekken was an inside joke about something from a long time ago that I've since forgotten. I think it was referencing someone's username or something

Anyway, sad to see the latest bump isn't good. I've long since moved on from his content, but he was one of the legends.

SKINNER!

Banned

Attend a tournament
etc.

Was that the one with Film Brain? Can't stand that guy.

s_mirage

He called himself the lord of Tekken way back in the FMV Hell video about the Johnny Mnemonic game. I don't know if that was the first mention.

Was that the one with Film Brain? Can't stand that guy.

Neither can I. He's about as entertaining as haemorrhoids.

He called himself the lord of Tekken way back in the FMV Hell video about the Johnny Mnemonic game. I don't know if that was the first mention.

Neither can I. He's about as entertaining as haemorrhoids.

"I am the Lord of Tekken and will air juggle your ass" Hahah, still makes me laugh for some reason, his stuff he said was so out of left field. What a funny, random guy. Sad to see his descent like this.

s_mirage

"I am the Lord of Tekken and will air juggle your ass" Hahah, still makes me laugh for some reason. What a funny, random guy. Sad to see his descent like this.

Yeah, it really is. His videos stood out among a sea of AVGN ripoffs that were around at the time.

Probably wouldn't have achieved anything, but I half wonder if he would have been better off had he never started posting on Twitter. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that social media is decidedly bad for some people's mental health.

Top Bottom