• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Licensed games better than their source material

Sheroking

I don't think i could say Butcher Bay is better than Pitch Black.
Comparable maybe.

It depends on what you consider "source material" here.

You could say Riddick spun-off from Pitch Black and Butcher Bay's source material was Chronicles of Riddick, in which case, Butcher Bay was definitely better.

The Darkness: Starbreeze turned an embarrassing relic of the Dark Age of Comics into a genuinely good story mixing a mafia revenge tale with Lovecraftian horror.

Parasite Eve: While I admit I never read it I always heard the original novel sucked unlike Parasite Eve 1 and 2.

Walking Dead: Season 1: Superior to both the original comic and TV show.

Tales from the Borderlands: Borderlands doesn't deserve a game that fantastic.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This Goldeneye slander is unacceptable. The movie has held up a hell of a lot better than the game that's for damn sure.

You really can't compare the two mediums on this front. At least the game was (rightly) considered amazing at one point. Doubt anyone ever thought as highly of the movie.

Goldeneye Wii/Reloaded is better than the movie too.

This is where I draw the line, that game is an abomination.

Goldeneye

A mediocre film (at best) that spawned the greatest shooter of all time

Hahahaha. Oh wait. You might be serious.

Goldeneye aint got shit on quake, blood, duke 3d or final doom.

But as a licensed property i guess goldeneyw fits that bill. It was a good console shooter.

My pick is the lost world. The psone platform game was pretty good at the time.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Hahahaha. Oh wait. You might be serious.

Goldeneye aint got shit on quake, blood, duke 3d or final doom.

I am deadly serious, no other shooter has ever come close to how much I enjoyed GoldenEye. It's pretty much the only game I played for two years straight.

Goldeneye is the best brosnan bond movie.

You guys are nuts.

It's really just me that's criticising it, and I also said earlier that it's easily the best of the Brosnan movies. That's not a high bar to clear though.

chefboy

Neo Member
Yeah, first thing I thought of. Wolf Among Us is also excellent, so I wonder if it's better than the comics.

I can definitively tell you; No, it's not. It's a great game, but the first couple of arcs in that series was awesome. The game barely even touched on Jack of the Fables, who was such a popular character he got his own side story. And it didn't mention Prince Charming or Goldilocks at all, who were great in the first arc. The game was great, and I am definitely looking forward to season 2, but the graphic novels were just so much better.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Ultimate Ninja Storm is basically "would you like to see these fights consistently animated with way more attention to detail than the show?"

The Da Vinci Code book and movie are terrible, the game is merely mediocre.

likewise the quite solid The Punisher (PS2/Xbox) posits itself as a sequel to the worst film version of the character (yup, Dolph's film was better).

and I think the first Captain America film is one of Marvel's weakest films (shame cause they got Red Skull just right), but the Sega games based off of it were pretty good.

nkarafo

Goldeneye 007 (N64) and Riddick (XBOX) are the best examples of this.

Especially Goldeneye. I think the game is even more popular/known/remembered than the movie nowadays.

Subjective as fuck, but what I played of Alien: Isolation surpassed even the experience of watching the original movie. It's sublime.

KDC720

I feel like one could make an argument for Peter Jackson's King Kong, the game is pretty solid but I think I like the movie slightly better.

The first Lego Star Wars game is collectively better than the prequel trilogy.

Know how I know you didn't read the series?
The problem for us English folk is that the translations were god awful. So while the short stories hold up the full-on novels read really, REALLY blandly. I have no doubt that the original source material is better than the games, but I can completely understand why some people think the games are better if they've only read the English translations of the books without knowledge of how badly they were handled.

Markitron

Subjective as fuck, but what I played of Alien: Isolation surpassed even the experience of watching the original movie. It's sublime.

I think Alien is one of the best films ever made, and I would still agree with you. The way that they transferred that atmosphere from one medium to another is staggering. Experiencing that dread as a player is an even better experience than watching the movie.

I would do horrible, unspeakable things for a sequel.

Vengal

The problem for us English folk is that the translations were god awful. So while the short stories hold up the full-on novels read really, REALLY blandly. I have no doubt that the original source material is better than the games, but I can completely understand why some people think the games are better if they've only read the English translations of the books without knowledge of how badly they were handled.

Sometimes the narrator of an audio book can band-aid over bland writing with good acting. I went through all the witcher books available in audio book form in english last year on the way to work and had no issue with them. Going through them before playing the games also complicated my opinion of those games. The concessions games make to add gameplay weakened the product for me, like adding random monsters in the forest, or fighting so many bandits, ect. I get that without that kind of stuff it would just be a point and click adventure but Geralt in the books wasn't running around raiding bandit camps for money and leather.

Hasney

As bad as the games are, gun to my head, I'd probably rather play WWE 2k17 than watch Raw or Smackdown right now.

Justinh

To be fair, Pitch Black was pretty good.

I don't think i could say Butcher Bay is better than Pitch Black.
Comparable maybe.
Yeah, I only played a little bit of Butcher Bay on PC and again on 360 I think for a while, and even though I thought it was pretty good, I really, really like Pitch Black.
It depends on what you consider "source material" here.

You could say Riddick spun-off from Pitch Black and Butcher Bay's source material was Chronicles of Riddick, in which case, Butcher Bay was definitely better.
Okay then, I guess I can see this point of view. Chronicles of Riddick is pretty terrible after all.
It's not really source material but Batman AA and AC are better than any Batman movie IMO
Even Mask of the Phantasm? I don't know if I can... I just can't man.

edit: I wonder if this game will be Dragon Ball FighterZ in the future for people. I can't be for me (the series has always just meant so much to me), but I bet for some people it will absolutely be.

Super Mario Bros is so much better than the movie.

I hope there's an NPC walking around in Odyssey that looks just like Bob Hoskins and he's dragging around his idiot brother that looks like John Leguizamo (with Princess Daisy toting a flame thrower).

Star Wars Episode I Racer

This, also the PS1 game was good too. I mean, I'm sure it doesn't stand up now, but I loved it at the time, and it's certainly better than the film. Used to use invincibility cheats and kill everyone.

Man, I miss movie tie in games where you literally played through the plot of the movie.

Markitron

Man, I miss movie tie in games where you literally played through the plot of the movie.

I don't as 99% of them were shit. When they got it right though.........

The Lion King
Aladdin (Mega Drive version)
GoldenEye
The Two Towers
The Return of the King.

All classics, I also quite liked the Episode 1 and 3 games.

I don't as 99% of them were shit. When they got it right though.........

Well yes, there is a certain amount of irony in my love of them. I just love that very single minded approach. "Hmm, a video game shaped peg and a movie shaped hole? WE WILL MAKE IT FIT DAMN YOU."

Galang

Banned
Naruto Clash of Ninja and Ultimate Ninja games. Fighting is nowhere near as deep as most fighting games, but it's still tons of fun, and it gives you all the best parts of the series (characters, action, etc.) with none of the bullshit.

Inclined to agree.

Wish Bleach had gotten the same treatment

Markitron

Well yes, there is a certain amount of irony in my love of them. I just love that very single minded approach. "Hmm, a video game shaped peg and a movie shaped hole? WE WILL MAKE IT FIT DAMN YOU."

It was always so funny when they started adding in plot to pad out the games. Spiderman 2 was particularly egregious at this.

Ydelnae

Maybe not straight up better, but Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth was on par with the first seasons of the anime and definitely better than the later ones.

I also liked TW3 much more than the first book, but since I haven't played all the games and I haven't every book, I can't judge for sure if one adaptation is better than the other one. Since the source material is good, the game improves more thing that it messes up, in my opinion.

Markitron

Yeah, it's hard to find a wider gap than this, honestly. The game was a ton of fun while the movie was so bad that you probably needed brain damage to not despise it.

Another terrible thing about that film (to add to my earlier post) Gambit completely dropping his accent after his first scene.

Another vote for the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games. Actually the best and most efficient way of experiencing that series. It almost makes it enjoyable.

Big Nikus

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I hear the English translation of The Witcher novels is terrible, which may certainly put those below the games.

Two months ago I was debating with myself wether I should read the novels in french or in english. I asked on GAF but couldn't get an answer about the english translation, but since then I've read multiple times in other places that it was indeed a bad, and bland translation. I've started reading in french and it's perfectly fine. And it seems it gets even better from the fourth book onwards.

Top Bottom