• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are Strategy RPGS not as popular as the other RPG subgenres?

ST2K

I adore SRPGs that respect your time.

Far too many don't, and so I play much fewer than I'd like.

Doukou

I enjoy srpgs but I feel like the systems contradict each other a bit, which has lead to its slow popularity. You could have made all the right strategic moves but the character wasn't high enough lvl, or you didn't max all the right stats or you got a crit.

autoduelist

SRPGs focus on combat mechanics. While this is my number one preference in games [I love SRPGs], it's no surprise that they're too complicated for most to care about.

I think mobile games have 'prepped' more people for SRPGs in some ways, since they've popularized the concept of 'map with dots, each dot is a mission' sort of world/battle menu.

I think people think they're too hard as well, which is silly, since most allow grinding and actually are far too easy. Once you understand their systems, of course.

Voliko

I enjoy srpgs but I feel like the systems contradict each other a bit, which has lead to its slow popularity. You could have made all the right strategic moves but the character wasn't high enough lvl, or you didn't max all the right stats or you got a crit.
Good point that doesn't get mentioned as much as it should. I think the best SRPGs try to downplay or outright circumvent RNG elements and the influence of stats. Too many seem to embrace these elements, if only because of tradition.

Because they don't involve the strategy part. Strategy requires actual thinking which is a malus though other things can play an additional role.

PopeReal

Ogre Battle 64 is still a super fun game to me. Way more engaging than the typical tactics style in my opinion.

I am still waiting for a sequel.

It's just not an accessible genre, generally.

I played Final Fantasy Tactics for the first time a little while ago and even though it's lauded as one of the best examples of the genre, it's really got a lot of things going on that could put people off. With no guide or foreknowledge it's deeply intimidating and confusing, and there are literally endless combinations of jobs and classes that form horrible, nonviable parties that will eventually lead to your demise. Failing is especially frustrating because control is ripped away from you while the camera spins and pans like mad and the enemy goes through their turns. Your really just thrown into the deep end completely. The general pace is also very slow (I mean, duh).

Great game, but I mean, I can't say I don't understand why not everyone loves or wants to get into the genre.

FFT and Tactics Ogre were in some ways bad for the genre. They introduced a lot of stuff that has become almost synonymous with the genre but it also led to ridiculously complicated political stories , where you had to read optional in game stuff to understand the main story. Which is not great when there's probably an hour worth of battle in between story chunks.

duckroll

Let's examine the claim that strategy RPGs are not as popular as other RPG subgenres.

What are said other RPG subgenres? Turn based encounter RPGs? Real time with pause RPGs? Action RPGs? Command based MMO style RPGs? Shooter RPGs? Dungeon RPGs?

It's hard to see how Strategy RPGs are less popular to anything other than Action RPGs which largely dominate the genre these days simply because of volume of output. It's really odd to "exclude" Fire Emblem from the analysis when it is the poster child for the subgenre. It would be like saying "excluding WoW and FFXIV, why are MMOs generally not that successful?"

In fact, I would say that realistically dungeon RPGs are probably the least popular subgenre in RPGs. They have a hardcore fanbase, but they have never really gotten a ton of sales ever. Even the most popular ones don't sell as well as popular strategy RPGs.

Strategy games in general are fairly niche, especially outside of PC, and most SRPGs are on console. Combine that with the general high difficulty of the genre and the lack of exploration style of gameplay popular in many RPGs and you've got yourself a niche subgenre. It's my favorite type of game though. There are still lots of SRPGs made though, they just aren't usually high budget affairs.

I think the only SPRG I ever liked and completed was the first Valkyria.

Does Darkest Dungeon count as SRPG? I just started that earlier tonight and I was digging it a lot.

There has been a variety of good ones that I bought or rented back in the day. FFtactics, Ogre Battle, etc but I think younger me couldn't mentally do what the game needed me to do in order to play them effectively back then.

Maybe now that I'm older a game like FFTactics would make sense to me, but I recall a lot of grinding back in the day was needed.

SRPGs need to just meld other genre elements to be successful again.

Darkest Dungeon is closer to an RPG, "row based" positioning is found in some very old RPGs. Though the way requiring and only targetting certain positions works is more in-depth for the most part.

SRPGs have 2.5d movement (sometimes 2D or 3D) using a grid, hexagon or sphere (free movement within a radius of where you started) movement system as their defining feature.

Let's examine the claim that strategy RPGs are not as popular as other RPG subgenres.

What are said other RPG subgenres? Turn based encounter RPGs? Real time with pause RPGs? Action RPGs? Command based MMO style RPGs? Shooter RPGs? Dungeon RPGs?

It's hard to see how Strategy RPGs are less popular to anything other than Action RPGs which largely dominate the genre these days simply because of volume of output. It's really odd to "exclude" Fire Emblem from the analysis when it is the poster child for the subgenre. It would be like saying "excluding WoW and FFXIV, why are MMOs generally not that successful?"

In fact, I would say that realistically dungeon RPGs are probably the least popular subgenre in RPGs. They have a hardcore fanbase, but they have never really gotten a ton of sales ever. Even the most popular ones don't sell as well as popular strategy RPGs.

I think DRPGs have had their lunch eaten to some extent by Dungeon Crawlers which are very similar like most SMT games. If you just looked at say a screenshot of a single battle it's hard to tell SMTIV apart from say Demon Gaze. I'm not even sure if they should really be considered separate some of the time.

OuterLimits

The 3DS has a decent amount of them.

Devil Survivor 1, and 2
Three Fire Emblem games
Project X Zone 1, and 2
Stella Glow
Mercenaries Saga 2, and 3
The terrible Langrisser game
Lord of Magna
Codename Steam

Most in the genre tend to be on portable systems now. Which I kind of prefer since the genre is great when traveling. The PS3 had a couple I liked such as Valkyria Chronicles, Tears to Tiara 2, and Disgaea 4 but most were on the PSP/Vita

Nyoro SF

Indeed.

The better question for the thread would be "Why are Strategy RPGs on home consoles not as popular as the other subgenres?" More of an interesting discussion to be had there.

Indeed.

The better question for the thread would be "Why are Strategy RPGs on home consoles not as popular as the other subgenres?" More of an interesting discussion to be had there.

This is a much more interesting question. One of the biggest reasons that I'm looking forward to Fire Emblem Switch is that it's the first console Fire Emblem in a decade and potentially one of the highest budgeted SRPGs to date.

Otherwise, console SRPGs have largely disappeared aside for a handful such as Disgaea 5 and Natural Doctrine (which is very very good).

I think it's due to the time investment on part of the player combined with the usually lower level presentation values which would not carry the same expectations as one would on a handheld. The cost of production for the expected level of production values is probably beyond the level of profitability for most of these developers. A few like Valkyria Chronicles managed to breach the gap in presentation (probably due to being built for a console first) but failed in marketing until years later on Steam.

Indeed.

Probably because they've spent the last 2 Gens primarily being on portable systems (and to a lesser extent PC) I guess ? SRPGs are a genre that has a hard time with the cost increase of the 3D leap since they tend to have a lot of characters that need to be distinctive visually. More so with Job system type SRPGs where it's traditional for the Job to effect appearance too.

I mean, what makes Fire Emblem gained the new momentum in popularity? Yes, waifus.

Other SRPGs need to follow the formula to gain popularity.

Boring, slow and yeah boring. Ive tried them and it is not for me. I remember when i first tried final fantasy tactics. I was expecting a ff game never have i said so loud "wtf is this shit" lol.

I get some people love them so respect but really is not my cup of tea.

patapuf

I mean, what makes Fire Emblem gained the new momentum in popularity? Yes, waifus.

Other SRPGs need to follow the formula to gain popularity.

I know this was meant as a joke, but the game still needs to be good.

Generally, if an SRPG is full of waifus, it's terrible.

DocSeuss

I generally find most turn-based games to be really really boring. XCOM is the main exception. I'd kill to play a strategy RPG like XCOM...

Moonlight

Banned
SRPGs ride a fine line between depth of mechanics and accessibility, and it's not a line that many ride particularly well. Either they demand what feels like all of your time in order to fully grasp what the ruleset is and what 'correct strategy' looks like, or they're so barren of underlying considerations they can make you ask why it's even taking your time at all. FFT and Tactics Ogre are brilliant games, but I know plenty of people who look at how in-depth the tutorial gets and get intimidated. Not to mention they're not entirely easy games to navigate in general amid all the menus and various QoL considerations. Disgaea kinda falls into a similar category but it carved its' own sort of niche as the 'forever game'. But you can't evolve that niche much and so I don't think the audience had a much higher ceiling than the first few games.

And there's a million forgettable SRPGs that decide that a grid and some basic gimmicks constitute strategy. Zzz.

This is what FE gets right compared to so many other SRPGs. FE is fundamentally intuitive in a way that most other SRPGs simply aren't. The underlying mechanics are quick to grasp but harder to master. A lot of the 'strategy' of the game can be initially understood at a pretty simple level, where correct positioning and making logical assumptions about what the enemy will or can do in the current game state is what's most highly rewarded.

And I think most importantly, and it's something really small but essential, it's that FE feels good to play. Navigating menus can and often does feel like a chore in other games, but FE makes it simple and fast. It doesn't feel like the game gets in front of you or overwhelms you with options while still insinuating that there's more to discover.

Ecksby

Neo Member
I've enjoyed some that I've played, but the best in the genre always come back to me not having to grind to enjoy them. When I play a strategy RPG, I want it to be based around just that. Not whatever Disgaea is supposed to be. (I get 3-4 chapters in and I'm done with those games.)

takoyaki

This definitely applied to me. My first console was a N64 which didn't exactly have a treasure-trove of great RPGs. So it took me a while to get into RPGs and SRPGs.

Normal Action games give you direct controls, you push a button and something happens on-screen. It's instantly gratifying and in most cases, there's not a lot of learning required to have fun.

Classic JRPGs are slower, you have to think a few steps ahead and wait for a turn to see the effects of your button press. But you typically retain direct control over your character during exploration, so it's easier to see yourself in the role of the hero(s).

SRPGs have another level of abstraction, you feel like a commander directing troops from afar instead of the hero beating up monsters. You typically don't have those direct controls over your characters and the time it takes for an action to happen after you push a button can be quite long. The learning curve can be steep and SRPGs often require the biggest time investment out of those genres.

I'd compare Action games to playing with water guns or playing catch as a kid, JRPGs to classic board or card games that all follow similar rules, SRPGs to D&D or German designer boardgames. Those are all fun things to do, but the more time it takes to learn the rules and have fun doing it, the less people will be drawn to the activity.

Erheller

SRPGs ride a fine line between depth of mechanics and accessibility, and it's not a line that many ride particularly well. Either they demand what feels like all of your time in order to fully grasp what the ruleset is and what 'correct strategy' looks like, or they're so barren of underlying considerations they can make you ask why it's even taking your time at all. FFT and Tactics Ogre are brilliant games, but I know plenty of people who look at how in-depth the tutorial gets and get intimidated. Not to mention they're not entirely easy games to navigate in general amid all the menus and various QoL considerations. Disgaea kinda falls into a similar category but it carved its' own sort of niche as the 'forever game'. But you can't evolve that niche much and so I don't think the audience had a much higher ceiling than the first few games.

And there's a million forgettable SRPGs that decide that a grid and some basic gimmicks constitute strategy. Zzz.

This is what FE gets right compared to so many other SRPGs. FE is fundamentally intuitive in a way that most other SRPGs simply aren't. The underlying mechanics are quick to grasp but harder to master. A lot of the 'strategy' of the game can be initially understood at a pretty simple level, where correct positioning and making logical assumptions about what the enemy will or can do in the current game state is what's most highly rewarded.

And I think most importantly, and it's something really small but essential, it's that FE feels good to play. Navigating menus can and often does feel like a chore in other games, but FE makes it simple and fast. It doesn't feel like the game gets in front of you or overwhelms you with options while still insinuating that there's more to discover.

Yeah, this is one thing that FE really gets right. It's really easy to grasp, yet has a surprising amount of depth and complexity. Good map and encounter design goes a long way towards making maps fun and challenging, and Intelligent Systems has shown that they're capable of making some of the best maps in the genre.
whether they actually feel like making good maps or not is another story entirely.

duckroll

Indeed.

I think the answer to this is simply because they aren't made. Can't sell what isn't in the market. FFT sold over a million on the PS1 in Japan alone. Yet there was never a FFT2 and all subsequent S-E tactical games were on portables. Same with Front Mission.

Valkyria sold well on the PS3 too, yet they went portable and killed the franchise outside of Japan. X-Com does pretty well on PC and consoles as well.

I know this was meant as a joke, but the game still needs to be good.

Generally, if an SRPG is full of waifus, it's terrible.

378acc2e8d202db5148fd4d78a8c6745.jpg

This has just released last month and the OT barely reaches 100 posts.

Metacritic score is not so bad either. What's lacking is waifus.

vocab

Strategy games in general are just slow and difficult. Turn base tactics in particular are so mindnumbing in a lot of cases. I tried to like the genre, but I just cant be bothered anymore.

Theres 2 misconceptions that ruin it to most people.
1. They are too hard
2. If a guy dies i lose him forever.... but i wont play easy mode because thats cheating.

zMiiChy-

Banned

It's sad that FE's gameplay qualities are buried underneath mountains of disgusting fanservice now.

Radiant Dawn was elegant and classy with it's themes and plot, where most of that was thrown out the window with Awakening and beyond.

I heard Echoes isn't as bad though, so maybe I'll try that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Theres 2 misconceptions that ruin it to most people.
1. They are too hard
2. If a guy dies i lose him forever.... but i wont play easy mode because thats cheating.

Number 2 makes me laugh but I wouldn't be surprised if it was true for some people.

Moonlight

Banned
Putting everything else aside because that argument is destined to end poorly, Echoes is not really what you're looking for if you liked Radiant Dawn. It retains the soul of a very dated game in Gaiden and doesn't really seek to modernize anything other than the presentation and some QoL features. A lot of really simplistic maps with basically no objective variation beyond total routs and nearly terminal pacing. You're welcome to try, of course, but it's a regression in a lot of ways if you're more familiar with the GBA -> GC games.

It's sad that FE's gameplay qualities are buried underneath mountains of disgusting fanservice now.

Radiant Dawn was elegant and classy with it's themes and plot, where most of that was thrown out the window with Awakening and beyond.

yeah Echoes just tosses the gameplay instead whoops

Main reason I haven't picked up this game yet is because of the graphic. I don't know how they did it but it looks worse than 3ds games of the same genre.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

I see 3 potential waifus on that cover alone.

Phu

Banned
Main reason I haven't picked up this game yet is because of the graphic. I don't know how they did it but it looks worse than 3ds games of the same genre.

I can look past the graphical quality but I can't get over the insanely drab color pallet [and the muddy textures don't help either]. It's like my eyes are trying to reactively close because they weren't sending any information to my brain anyway.

redcrayon

Strategy games are inherently niche, the console audience prefers faster-paced stuff, and for the Japanese entries you're basically looking for a crossover of people who like both strategy games and jrpgs. The closest thing to an recent SRPG designed for broader western appeal is Xcom with its cover-based firefights, classes, level-ups and hit percentages, and even then, despite critical acclaim, poorer shooters sold far more.

I think they're generally too difficult to sell to a new audience and it's too time consuming for fans of the genre. For the casual audience, the lack of visual flaire and the commonly glacial gameplay in the trailers are a massive turn off. I don't think it's a coincidence that the more popular SRPGs like FFTactics and Fire Emblem have the benefit of being a part of a popular IP or game. For fans of the genre, it can be time consuming to learn a new game entirely, and even longer to "get good" and really get to the nitty gritty of the systems. So it's definitely an inherent problem of the genre, not too different from MOBAs and MMOs; There's an audience out there for them, but there's not enough to get players to play more than few at a time.

patapuf

If i look at the more "successful" SRPG's I don't see much reliance on Waifus.

Final Fantasy tactics
Disgaea
Xcom
Valkyria Chronicles (the first one)
Jagged Alliance

... I'm drawing blanks at successful SRPG's and now i'm sad.

Honestly, the relationship management aspect of FE could work just as well if it wasn't as focused on pairing people up imo. There's something there that could be genuinley interesting as a counterbalance to the fighting, i don't think IS is there yet.

They generally don't excel at many things other than combat and sometimes story. I think lots of people like RPGs for their exploration, on top of good solid combat mechanics.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
srpgs are less popular than final fantasy because they are hard and you can't push A to badass and they don't have epic FMVs where u can do like a flip and it's like tiiiiight

redcrayon

If you think God Wars isn't packed with 'waifus' and whatever the male equivalent is, you haven't played it. I'm about twenty hours in and already the subs bench is packed with young women in combat lingerie. Gameplay and jobs system is solid though, definite callback to FFT.

I generally find most turn-based games to be really really boring. XCOM is the main exception. I'd kill to play a strategy RPG like XCOM...
Are we not counting XCOM as an SRPG?

Also, I'm blown away by the number of people in here saying SRPGs are boring. Does "boring" in this case really translate to "requires too much thought"? (In my mind "boring" would mean "requires too little thought.")

patapuf

I can see picking out slevaria for valkyria but disgaea is pure (well, if i squint).

Regardless, neither series focuses on that and i don't think pushing that aspect would make them more sucessful. Or rather, reach a broader audience.

If you think God Wars isn't packed with 'waifus' and whatever the male equivalent is, you haven't played it. I'm about twenty hours in and already the subs bench is packed with young women in combat lingerie. Gameplay and jobs system is solid though, definite callback to FFT.

God Wars is very obviously someone's wishlist refinements of FFT with a Japanese flavored skin. There's even the barely disguised dancer and bard classes. I have to say I've enjoyed what I've played so far though. Its not filled with originality but it's a very solid execution of a genre variant you don't see a lot of these days (the Job System with Active Skill Groups/ Passive skill slots ).

I can see picking out slevaria for valkyria but disgaea is pure (well, if i squint).

Regardless, neither series focuses on that and i don't think pushing that aspect would make them more sucessful. Or rather, reach a broader audience.

I think of sorta depends what's meant by Waifus, which like fanservice is used to mean different things including "stuff that bothers me so it shouldn't exist". Disgaea definitely has both named characters and generics with appearances and personalities designed to appeal to various demographics but they aren't Waifus to me in that there's nothing about them other than that that's directed at the palyer or at the player via a proxy character.

Top Bottom