• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

gehrig38

I put a post up on our official forums around the total game play time 'issue' for anyone interested.
Bottom line is I was clearly wrong in my comments as it relates to the bleeding edge, beat the crap out of your game faster than your QA team did, finish fast player:)
Thankfully those folks (of which I am proud to say I used to be one) are in the minority.

ReaperXL7

I put a post up on our official forums around the total game play time 'issue' for anyone interested.
Bottom line is I was clearly wrong in my comments as it relates to the bleeding edge, beat the crap out of your game faster than your QA team did, finish fast player:)
Thankfully those folks (of which I am proud to say I used to be one) are in the minority.

Ehh id say don't beat yourself up over it curt, different people will play the game in various ways and will get more or less mileage out of it depending on their play style.

Ill use myself as an example, I'm creeping up on 40 hours right now and I still have not left dalentarth yet. However I don't use fast travel I listen to all of the dialog, read every book, enjoy collecting the sets, and uniques. I rely solely on random drops because I prefer uniques and sets over crafted stuff. I have no plans to respecc as when I want to roll another characterr ill do with a second or third playthrough. I enjoy just taking time and exploring the worl, just today for instance I noticed the evil monkeys in the trees while farming sets in ettenmire.

Some people will run through and get various playtimes, some will get 70 hours out of it and be done. Someone like myself though will try to take everything in and play multiple times and get more mileage out of it.

scy

I feel bad about the way that topic went. I just chimed in there because some people were claiming that it flat out wasn't possible to be done with the game in that amount of time let alone the near 100% completion rate some of us are boasting. I half remember the comment you made about the time but, honestly, I didn't think much on it. The fact that anyone is really complaining about the actual amount of content is kind of funny, especially since most the ones complaining aren't even through most of it :x

Edit: Time to murder chickens in the name of damage testing. Huzzah.

Trigunner

I'm surprised people in that thread completed the game, side quests and all at 70 or so hours. No way I'll reach 200, but 100 will probably happen. I'll be kind of sad when I finish; KoA has been a great time killer/distraction for me since I'm unemployed and going through some emotional things.

Log4Girlz

I'm not taking my time at all, just hitting most side quests...I'm already at 31 hours. I am not sure how far into the game I am but I would say half way if not a bit more than that.

1stStrike

Banned
I'm level 26; two main missions done; 79 side quests and about a dozen more finished but I haven't accepted the rewards yet so I don't level up as quickly. Usually I exhaust all dialogue options in games, but I've been skipping a lot of the non quest NPC's here since it's a chore to watch the scenes without being able to disable subs. I'm going to keep just doing side stuff, then faction, then the main story. So far I haven't been burnt out yet even though most of the quests and lore aren't engaging. I started Detyre this afternoon; I don't like the scenery as much as the Plains. I need to start reading the books; they're taking too much space in my stash.

I highly recommeend reading the books. Most of them are quite interesting and very well crafted. They add a lot to characters and the back story of the world. Although, I have found quite a few spelling errors in them. :(

Trigunner

I highly recommeend reading the books. Most of them are quite interesting and very well crafted. They add a lot to characters and the back story of the world. Although, I have found quite a few spelling errors in them. :(

I read the really short ones to make inventory/stash space. I liked the one about the blind prince and the singer. When I need a break from quests I'll start going through them.

I've only noticed one spelling error so far; I believe in a weapon description.

Grinchy

Banned
If I were you I wouldn't wait for the second playthrough. Respeccing costs nothing and is a really easy and fun process and adds freshness to the combat. Just my 2 cents, I think you should try all kinds of builds in the first playthrough. The game is so long and huge that multiple playthroughs might be hard to do anyway. Ignore the cost for respeccing, you will be filthy rich... respec 10+ times if you want.

Edit, and that's to Grinchy too.

Oh yeah, I've actually respecced once. The only reason I'd make a new character for might is so it could be a dude. Plus, I wouldn't mind a 2nd playthrough where I don't really do any side stuff, or only do side stuff I didn't do the first time through.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Grinding for levels seem unnecessary... just go where your heart tells you (my this sound so corny) and fight whatever enemies that happen to stand in your way.

Question guys:

1. Does the health/mana regen stacks? If you equipped armors with multiple health/mana regens, say four 1.5 mana/second regen, does that mean your character enjoy 6 mana/second regen? I've slotted several health regen gems and it seems the effects do stack, although I'm not really 100% sure.

2. Selling books/skulls/documents. It's safe right? Everything that can be sent to Junk is safe to sell, am I correct to assume this?

scy

1. Does the health/mana regen stacks? If you equipped armors with multiple health/mana regens, say four 1.5 mana/second regen, does that mean your character enjoy 6 mana/second regen? I've slotted several health regen gems and it seems the effects do stack, although I'm not really 100% sure.

They stack. It can get ridiculous if you take it too far. Off-hand, I can't think of any effect that doesn't stack.

2. Selling books/skulls/documents. It's safe right? Everything that can be sent to Junk is safe to sell, am I correct to assume this?

Pretty much. Anything you need for a Quest will be unjunkable during the quest (at least, I didn't see any otherwise) and any books that lead to a quest will be marked as such in your inventory.

Can you keep playing after you finish the main quest?

If not, when is a good point to make a save that I can come back to?

You can keep playing post-ending.

1stStrike

Banned
They stack. It can get ridiculous if you take it too far. Off-hand, I can't think of any effect that doesn't stack.

I'm specced for mana regen right now on my mage. Just got these on top of what I already have:

gloves9wbie.png

Mana potion? Who needs those? I'm a mana regening machine.

When I cast meteor storm my mana bar doesn't move lol.

Pretty much. Anything you need for a Quest will be unjunkable during the quest (at least, I didn't see any otherwise) and any books that lead to a quest will be marked as such in your inventory.

You can keep playing post-ending.

Thanks!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The only thing I really wish the game had right now (I'm still very early on) is more control config options. I'd really like to be able to switch the run and dodge buttons. X to dodge and O to run would just feel so much better for me.

Also, this is the first game I've ever played on Hard right from the beginning. We'll see how it goes.

I can't believe Curt Schilling's involvement in this, though. I mean, hell, I had his baseball cards growing up, and now dude's bringing me amazing video games. Just unreal. Thanks, Curt! :D

scy

I'm specced for mana regen right now on my mage. Just got these on top of what I already have:

Mana potion? Who needs those? I'm a mana regening machine.

When I cast meteor storm my mana bar doesn't move lol.

I switched to Shadowcaster on my Finesse/Sorcery build to try it out. Blow all my mana? Swing twice, back to full and waiting on cooldowns. It's a strange, but nice, feeling.

I'm contemplating what to do on my Might/Finesse build since it totally lacks good regen from the Destinies and I expect a lot of Quake use for the stun in my future. Guess I'll just let it ride and see what happens.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Damn. While potions *may* be necessary for enemies that hit really hard, this fact alone invalidates maybe 90% reasoning to carry health/mana potions.

...Especially when last night I bought Trollhide sets from the second Warsworn fortress (forget the name) where there are one armor gem slot and two utility gem slots in the armor, leggings, and shoes... all for a measly price around 3000-4000 gold each! Hahaha.

1stStrike

Banned
I switched to Shadowcaster on my Finesse/Sorcery build to try it out. Blow all my mana? Swing twice, back to full and waiting on cooldowns. It's a strange, but nice, feeling.

I'm contemplating what to do on my Might/Finesse build since it totally lacks good regen from the Destinies and I expect a lot of Quake use for the stun in my future. Guess I'll just let it ride and see what happens.

That's a pretty cool combo. Give the transference skill a try + the faer gorta summon. He's a little bit of a pain to keep up, since you have to re-summon him ever couple of minutes, but with him out and my mana regen stuff... I end every battle at fully HP/MP without having to use healing potions. It takes a fight with like 4 or 5 casters to actually get me to use potions, since they all have those annoying homing fireballs and shit.

I feel way, way overpowered at this point lol. They need to add a hardcore mode in a patch or something, as hard is just not hard enough. It would be awesome if the game remained difficult all the way through, rather than getting massively easy once you get some good gear.

How so I create master equipments with the Blacksmithing skill? Do I just build a normal weapon or w/e and I'd have the chance to get it at master level?

Jrmint

Whats the story with The Travelers faction?

I went and did the first quest and realized all of their quests revolve around stealing and committing crimes. I don't want to complete this faction and then have every major town in the world hating me or wanting a 10k+ bribe. Is it worth completing this faction from the rewards and twist of fate at the end?

I don't see anyone talking about them on here so I'm assuming others aren't doing it.

I went and did the first quest and realized all of their quests revolve around stealing and committing crimes. I don't want to complete this faction and then have every major town in the world hating me or wanting a 10k+ bribe. Is it worth completing this faction from the rewards and twist of fate at the end?

I don't see anyone talking about them on here so I'm assuming others aren't doing it.

I am, It's actually one of the most fun storyline to me.

Wallach

Well... don't get caught!

It's definitely a faction of bards and rogues, so I'd expect a lot of stealth shenanigans and Finesse-oriented rewards.

scy

Travelers in a nutshell is
one of the members gets betrayed and left for capture and you're stuck in the middle of figuring out who's responsible for the conspiracy at large
. As for the stealing,
you do one set of stealing quests per faction base so it's only three in all; there's alternate ways to get a few of them besides straight stealing. And, if you do it right, you're not seen anyway...

Armor set from it isn't bad though only one piece by itself is really nice; the Chest is
+32% Critical Damage
which is nice and the first two set bonuses (2 and 3 piece) are nice at
+15% Crit Chance and +25% Fire Damage; the 4th bonus is +10% EXP which isn't all that spectacular
. The Twist of Fate is
+6% Piercing Damage or Dodge, I think, depending on how you resolve the end of it and they both have +1 Finesse Abilities

Edit: Guess my memory is bad, checked in game and
the rest of the set is pretty bad for bonuses on the Armor itself :(
. You do get a
+1 Finesse Abilities Shield
during the quest chain, however, which is really nice to keep around.

scy

I'd love to not get caught, but for the very first quest I had to kill a guy in the middle of Didenhill to get his medallion in front of everyone.

Not sure how I was supposed to avoid that.

Steal it from him? That's what I did. He patrols and is out of view of anyone at a few parts (notably the bridge).

Apeboy

I decided get it done and out of the way early once I saw it was "go here steal this" but it turned out to be pretty decent plot line. The fines arent much. The last quest reward is
definitely for Finesse players. A full set of armor made from cloth used during the quest. I'm not big on the looks of it but nice way to get a complete set.

ReaperXL7

AlqqEIWCEAAnndb.jpg:large

Really liked this full set of rogue gear.

Pretty awesome lookin hannar, I just found the legs to a finesse set called the wanderer, it has a pretty awesome barbarian look to it that's perfect for my character. Really want to see the rest of the set, but I usually tend to roll with finesse legs then might gloves, boots. Head depends on how much I like the look wether or not I use a finesse or might piece. Going shirtless has added to the challange abit for me, gnarsh almost one shotted me with every hit.

I'd love to not get caught, but for the very first quest I had to kill a guy in the middle of Didenhill to get his medallion in front of everyone.

Not sure how I was supposed to avoid that.
Not sure if you're aware, but you can actually pickpocket people. Just go into stealth, make sure they don't see you, then press 'x' when you're near the guy. There'll be a button prompt when you can steal.

Wallach

Not sure if you're aware, but you can actually pickpocket people. Just go into stealth, make sure they don't see you, then press 'x' when you're near the guy. There'll be a button prompt when you can steal.

Yeah, and if you need help there are potions that can grant you invisibility. Without high stealth some folks that are rarely alone are hard to pickpocket.

Jrmint

Damnit didn't realize, I definitely killed him.

Oh well, at least I'll know for the future quests for these guys.

I just found the legs to a finesse set called the wanderer, it has a pretty awesome barbarian look to it that's perfect for my character. Really want to see the rest of the set

You'll see it soon, only one piece missing here :D

Anyway, someone said before that I'm very lucky, well I think he was right. I love Detyre, I had so many great drops here, it almost feel like raining with unique/set stuff. Here are some things I got so far from Detyre, (plus some sets drops, but I'll show those later) and I barely finished one location there. Might not be the greatest stuff, but I'll take anything that's gold and purple :)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7064/6879378559_7f2c674146_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7055/6879378563_d7b768623b_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7185/6879378571_d90b7b6469_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7201/6879378579_cb4b984e30_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7067/6879378595_25a2b9f051_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7188/6879378589_aaf8952992_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7070/6879384907_7b7c66a90f_z.jpg

mujun

A melee class repetitive? Hmm.. you don't say.

For loot, I've been the exact opposite. Every shop I visit has loot that is WAY weaker than what I currently have equipped. I've got more money than I know what to do with because I never find anything to spend it on other than training.

Thanks for the sarcasm!

I like melee class. I suppose the onus is on me to play a class I don't like, not for the devs to figure out ways to make it fun?

Not to mention the fact that the devs have been talking up the combat since day one. About how it's like God of War, like an action game, designer was a hardcore Tekken player, etc. Not my fault I had high expectations. I actually enjoy the combat in Skyrim more, surprising after all the comparisons (favorable in favor of this game) and Ken Rolston basically saying that Skyrim's combat is crap.

At lvl 5 I was already finding loot better that I could buy/afford. At lvl 12 I was able to blacksmith better stuff than I could buy or any loot I was finding.

Sorry you don't like the game.

If that's the case then it makes it pretty obvious that this game is just plain badly designed. At about 10-12 hours in I was able to buy a hammer that does 200 damage or a longsword that does 160. Nothing I ever found in the game got close to that in any area from the starting one all the way up to the final boss area. Picking up loot became nothing more than an exercise in adding to my junk pile so that I could accrue money to buy the best gear with. Big detractor in my book.

Dresden

I actually enjoy the combat in Skyrim more, surprising after all the comparisons (favorable in favor of this game) and Ken Rolston basically saying that Skyrim's combat is crap.
Uh, alright.

If that's the case then it makes it pretty obvious that this game is just plain badly designed. At about 10-12 hours in I was able to buy a hammer that does 200 damage or a longsword that does 160. Nothing I ever found in the game got close to that in any area from the starting one all the way up to the final boss area. Picking up loot became nothing more than an exercise in adding to my junk pile so that I could accrue money to buy the best gear with. Big detractor in my book.

random loot

Just found out something I wasn't too happy with: The +x to skills caps out at 2. I just found someone with a +1 ring and was salivating over how ridiculous it would make me, but it didn't. Oh well, still loving this game!

Trigunner

That guy was kind of a jerk anyway.

I wish I had a horse.

I wish I had constant music; it feels too lonely and empty, although a horse would work too.

I love Detyre, I had so many great drops here,

Good for you. :-( I played in Detyre for a few hours tonight and all I got were a few junky purples.

Good explanation. You would think that they could increase the chances of finding better "random loot" if I didn't find anything better in 10 hours of play (20 hours total but 10 or so in the higher level areas).

i wish you'd try to level more and open up your might combat abilities .. but life goes on.. sorry its not clicking for you, but after leveling my smithed life stealing high critical rate longsword to do a combo after parrying an attack and smoothly slaughtering 4 bolgon without getting hit, i experienced a zen unlike any ive felt for an RPG of any type .. 65 hrs in, i discovered how to use greatswords efficiently, and smithed one that causes bleeding so that hits hurt more after the blood flows, and i'm still having a solid blast.

Daante

Started a new character, and deleted my sorcerer. Wanted to go full melee/might/warlord.
Guess im kinda stuck with "that" after Demon/Dark Souls last year :p

I really enjoy this game, though it feels like i havent even begin touching or seeing how much the game has to offer. I found myself standing still at random times in first quest area just looking around and sucking in the world. I think this game looks great!

Kevtones

F!!!!!!!

Beat the House of Ballads boss on HARD (pretty challenging until I restocked) and I got an AWESOME SET DROP only to find myself in a corner beside two PLANT TRAPS that immediately killed me. LOOT LOST.

I beat the boss 8 more times and got nothing close to that set piece :(

EDarkness

I just wanted to say that Alyn Shir looks awesome. I dig the outfit and it would be awesome if we get to hook up with her in the future. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Top Bottom