• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

May Wrasslin |OT| Vince McMahon doesn't give 5 million f**ks what you think.

RBH

Yes, that's what they do.

Santino: *inaudible*

Khali: mumblemumblemumble

Seriously.

Whenever they cut backstage to these random wrestlers during Ryback's matches., you can barely make out what they're even saying. It's simple shit, just have those wrestlers look on with a scared look on their face, say "WOW!" a few times during the match, and that's all it takes to make it seem like the roster fears him. Instead, they just have these wrestlers mumbling random shit backstage that actually detracts from the match.

jmdajr

How does Chikara do financially? Is it one of those things where they do it because they love it?
Do most of the roster have other jobs?

I figure it's like the crazy metal bands I listen to. They go on the road and tour, but they always comeback to their "real" jobs.

I think I already know the answer but I'd figure I'd ask.

So they fired their booker and lost their roster just as they got a TV deal?

Nah, Firing Gabe was around '07-08, can't remember exactly when - but that was just ahead of their original HDnet TV deal. It seemed to be because of some people not getting on with Gabe and the cost of all the fly-in's he wanted to make - also, the owners at the time didn't think he'd be right for booking TV (but then bizarrely put the inexperienced Pearce in the booking role). They subsequently lost Nigel, Tyler, Aries & Danielson to WWE & TNA over the next couple of years.

jmdajr said:
How does Chikara do financially? Is it one of those things where they do it because they love it?
Do most of the roster have other jobs?

I figure it's like the crazy metal bands I listen to. They go on the road and tour, but they always comeback to their "real" jobs.

Most of the guys at the top of the roster probably don't supplement their income with anything outside of wrestling, and a few are involved with running things backstage and training at CHIKARA's Wrestle Factory. I think it helps that CHIKARA students (who make up most of the roster) have a great reputation and always seem to be in demand in other promotions, but the lower-card guys probably have to work jobs outside of wrestling.

As for the promotion themselves, the steady increase in production values and flown-in talent over the past few years suggests they're doing pretty well financially.

Seriously.

Whenever they cut backstage to these random wrestlers during Ryback's matches., you can barely make out what they're even saying. It's simple shit, just have those wrestlers look on with a scared look on their face, say "WOW!" a few times during the match, and that's all it takes to make it seem like the roster fears him. Instead, they just have these wrestlers mumbling random shit backstage that actually detracts from the match.

The best excuse I can make is they are mumbling because they are lost for words, stunned in awe by Ryback's squashing prowess.

https://twitter.com/#!/ColtCabana/status/198123966966153216

iIAeHDNsHlfY9.jpg

Would surely be better than anything starring the Miz.

Man, CHIKARA have been going for over a decade now. That's crazy. I still remember seeing their early shows randomly via someone on the internet. Had no idea who anyone was, but decided it was the promotion for me after the LA PARKA & Mr. Zero tag match.

tm24

I watched that, I think, two weeks ago. They had a wrestler named, Black Warrior.

He was Black.

Black Warrior is actually Mexican!

Also, AAA's major heel faction are foreigners. So that is still the same from the states

Man, CHIKARA have been going for over a decade now. That's crazy. I still remember seeing their early shows randomly via someone on the internet. Had no idea who anyone was, but decided it was the promotion for me after the LA PARKA & Mr. Zero tag match.
PWG is going on 9 years soon. I was randomly at one of the first shows in Santa Ana then lost track of the promotion for about a year before I got internet access and got back into it hardcore

It's a number of things really - firing Gabe was such a huge shake-up, they lost a lot of fans immediately and many more when Pearce took a while to find his footing as booker. Also, losing Dragon, Nigel, Tyler & Aries were real big blows. Finally, with Cornette in charge ROH has been more focussed, but also is heading in a very specific direction rather than trying to appeal to every indy fan as they did in the past.

Personally, ROH has slipped below PWG & CHIKARA for me, maybe a bit below DGUSA too. The matches are still often great, but the roster feels very sparse, with little to get excited about other than Steen and I miss that they no longer fly in the best indy and puroresu talent for 'dream matches', which was a staple of the Gabe era.

In addition to that, ROH used to offer a very unique style. You couldn't really get ROH wrestling in say, PWG. Over the past few years, with DGUSA and EVOLVE, if you want to watch a more pure wrestling event, you have options. CHIKARA and PWG as you mentioned, have stepped up their game as well and jsut provide an overall more entertaining product.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
I am watching the Bret v HBK rivalry film on Netflix and it nostalgia overload. I miss wrestlers such as Hennig, Hart, Jannety, Razor, and even Neidhart. I will always be a Bret Hart mark/homer, but I do appreciate HBK. I have more interest watching the mid-sized (Jericho, Benoit, etc) and cruiserweights fighting rather than the behemoths (Hogan, Lesnar, Goldberg, etc) slugging it out.

I also miss the tag-team scene. In comparison to the women's division, at least the women get more screen time than the tag-teams. Maybe my interests in wrestling (cruiserweights, tag-team, technical fighters) aren't easy to sell to mass audiences and aren't at the top of the priority list for the WWE, but damn, I wish they were.

Rivalries like Bret/HBK, Piper/Hogan, Stone Cold/Bret, and the many others from yesteryear have yet to be replicated in the new decade.

Kaladin

The thing that really took ROH down a notch for me is that before they went to TV about 8/10 shows were must see, and those other two shows typically had some match or angle you wanted to pay $20 to see. Now, they just run regular house shows most of the time and the only things you have to watch are TV and iPPV. I know it's a small thing but it's not as special to me anymore.

NoRéN

Random but I recently came across this. It's old too so, sorry.

I was playing Fallout New Vegas and doing a quest for The King. The dude's a gang leader that looks and talks like Elvis.

Anyway, during a quest you're asked to go talk to some of his friends that are recovering from a beating. The name of the dudes recovering: Roy, Wayne, and Farris.

The thing that really took ROH down a notch for me is that before they went to TV about 8/10 shows were must see, and those other two shows typically had some match or angle you wanted to pay $20 to see. Now, they just run regular house shows most of the time and the only things you have to watch are TV and iPPV. I know it's a small thing but it's not as special to me anymore.

Definitely, I stopped buying DVD shows a good while ago because of this - and that's one thing that Gabe does well with DGUSA/EVOLVE, there's always matches I feel are worth the price of admission, whereas many of the non-iPPV ROH shows have a definite house show feel, like they're just treading water.

Quoting for the new page;

Clearly the best Sting, if it weren't for Joker Sting.

Colt/ Pierce match was awesome. The pinfall surprised me the most because I wouldn't had thought they would end the match like that...I was up late that night to watch it I lol'd and woke up my wife.....

PWG is king of the indy dream matches if you ask me.

I mean Steen vs Callihan. Seen first at PWG.

I've been supporting them since 2005-6ish. I remember when Davey was teaming with Super Dragon and then he won the ECWA tourney. Lots of great memories at the sweatbox and now at Reseda.

Kaladin

Definitely, I stopped buying DVD shows a good while ago because of this - and that's one thing that Gabe does well with DGUSA/EVOLVE, there's always matches I feel are worth the price of admission, whereas many of the non-iPPV ROH shows have a definite house show feel, like they're just treading water.

The last ROH DVD show I bought was the one where they had the crazy 8 man tag that lasted one hour and twenty minutes.

Yeah, there's no doubt about it - whenever they use Dragon Gate or ROH talent, I always find PWG book them in more compelling matches than either of those other promotions can offer.

The last ROH DVD show I bought was the one where they had the crazy 8 man tag that lasted one hour and twenty minutes.

Last one I bought was last year's Survival of the Fittest, and there wasn't really anything that awesome other than the final itself.

dream

By the way, I forgot to share this yesterday because it made me so happy that I went to take a walk and enjoy the beautiful day:

Before the show even started the disasters started. Sabu, scheduled to headline against Shane Douglas, didn’t come to the convention before the show, and didn’t arrive at the arena. Sabu has been having real problems of late with him complaining that his marriage had fallen apart among other things. When his hotel room was called and there was no answer and it was getting late, they went to knock on his door. When nobody answered, reportedly Mustafa Saed of the Gangstas broke down the door and they found Sabu passed out on the floor between the two beds. He was rushed to the hospital. There was a report that at one point he was put in a medically induced coma, but that when he was taken out of it, he just wanted to get out of the hospital. He checked himself out of the emergency room the next morning, called a cab, and told everyone who asked that he was fine.

Justin Credible fell asleep or was passed out in the dressing room during the show. He was reportedly given $100 and told to go home. He eventually left, but then came back, asked to be put on the show, but wasn’t. He then went from backstage into the crowd so people I guess could see that he was there. At one point he almost walked through the curtain when Sandman was doing his five minute ring entrance, and Douglas told people to stop him if he got near the curtain.

During the afternoon, we were told the place was a mess, with so many of the guys after the fan fest and before the show getting loaded.

And the sad issues didn’t end when the show was done. Axl Rotten, whose face was hanging down, speech was bad and could not close one eye due to an affliction he blamed on high blood pressure (it looked to people like he had Bell’s Palsy), then fell asleep at the wheel the next day driving from Philadelphia back to Baltimore. He crashed his car, broke his sternum and eight ribs, and at last report was hospitalized somewhere in Pennsylvania. In addition, in a separate incident, Damian Farren, who was Douglas’ right-hand man at the show, fell asleep driving home five minutes from his home in Maryland. He totaled his car, and suffered a broken neck vertebrae and was also still hospitalized at press time.

tm24

I mean Steen vs Callihan. Seen first at PWG.

I've been supporting them since 2005-6ish. I remember when Davey was teaming with Super Dragon and then he won the ECWA tourney. Lots of great memories at the sweatbox and now at Reseda.
You are my favorite new poster. I kind of miss The Sweatbox. But the legion is pretty great

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
By the way, I forgot to share this yesterday because it made me so happy that I went to take a walk and enjoy the beautiful day:

That's like a nightmare turning into reality. I hope these guys all are able to get a job somewhere that isn't wrestling related, and aren't ruined for life. Sad shit.

Zhengi

You know reading that bio on WWE.com. It really hurts me that Sting never had at least a year long run in the E. Its too bad. I know no one would even know who he is now, but it sucks.

He could have done some epic things at some point during the last 10 years. :'(

Like being fed to HHH.

That sounds good to me, I also need to watch the last show they released. But I can't wait to see.

What time are we thinking for Sunday like 4 or 5 EST?

I had high hopes for Del Rey vs Generico and the match exceeded my expectations. Like I said before the whole card was great. The highlights for me were Shard & The Swarm vs. The Colony & Jigsaw, Mixed Martial Archie, 3.0 & The Spectral Envoy vs. Tim Donst, Jakob Hammermeier & The Bravados, Kevin Steen vs. Eddie Kingston, and the already mentioned Del Rey and Generico match. This would be a great first show for some of you to watch. Hope some peeps will be joining in.

Steiner's at it again today.

Everytime hogan talks to the media without a script he sounds like a F'n idiot

Now hogan is sayin hes going to give more power to the fans get them more involved

Make them more important,BUT,thats all he can speak on it right now,FUCK

R U kidding me no other business in the world would allow 2 assholes to come into a company

Drive it to the lowest ratings EVER continue the low ratings for 2 1/2 cut down most employees

In the media,and still have a job,what is Tna n Spike Tv officials thinking

First off hogan there is nobody more important than the fans,without fans

There is no wrestling,dumbass,and second theres this new invention calld the nielson ratings system

And the fans are choosing not to be involved in the bullshit that you n bitchoff brought to Tna

And are using their power to change the channel

This new brand,concept will be a fraud just like changing it to impact wrestling where"wrestling matter"

Which was a crock of shit bcuz nothing changed,this is nothing but smoke

But they are not wrestlings target audience,wrestlings demographics are basically the same as nascar fans

Wrestler portraying the same on Tv,now i have NOTHING against gay ppl "to each his own"

Hogan brought in Orlando Jordan n introduced the wrestling audience to the first openly gay

Plus we were filming at universal where the fans were familys with kids from the park,at first

They did segments with Orlando in front of the live crowd n some familys were appaud n left

Bcuz his first stuff was him lusting over another wrestling which was bullshit,so then they starting doing

His segments backstage,so the live crowd wouldnt see them,so im talking with Sting in the impact

Zone one day,and we are both saying WTF is going on around here and he said he was going to

Say something and that he cant watch the show anymore,so i start asking questions and find out that

In the production meetings hogan thinks he could be the world champion,which i didnt understand

Why at the time,then later his ex-wife comes out n said he was gay,Hogan i know u think u have a

Strong brand name,but when yur ex-wife says yur gay You were Branded .:.....brother

Every PPv sunday tna would have chapel and sting was pissed at the hypocrisy of it all

But thats what hogan wanted,of course his business partner and lap dog was backing him

Sayin controversy creates cash ....bullshit ..

U motherfuckers need to get a grip

Hot Topic sells way too much WWE merchadise. It isn't even like official stuff, just shirts that say Raw and have a bunch of guys from the roster.

In other news, Hot Topic sucks.

Man, I'm hoping we get Flair vs Hogan at Slammiversary and they don't hold it off until BFG. I guess Hogan is going to have Garrett face Flair though.

Top Bottom