• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Defenders - Reviews Thread

Dysun

Ranking because why not. I'm still excited for Defenders even though it hasn't been great since the
Kingpin episode in Daredevil Season 2

Daredevil S1 > Daredevil S2 > Jessica Jones (first half) > Luke Cage (first half) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jessica Jones (2nd half) > Luke Cage (2nd half) >>>>>>>> Iron Fist

Pachimari

TV Guide
There are other villains introduced, characters who make surprising returns. And when I say Defenders isn't like Avengers, don't worry: there's an inciting incident at the end of the first episode that creates gigantic stakes for the heroes. This series is still pretty huge. But like we mentioned earlier, it comes down to them as individuals. It's about how their separate journeys bring them together. The episodes build, and build, getting faster, funnier and better as they go. If that continues in the back half, Defenders is going to be one hell of a ride.

Just don't call it an eight hour long movie.

It's odd that folks spit of Luke Cage, but not Daredevil Season 2.

Daredevil S1 > Luke Cage S1 Cottonmouth > Daredevil S2 Punisher > Jessica Jones > Luke Cage S1 Diamondback > Iron Fist >Daredevil S2 Elektra

woolley

People still pissed off because of the Hand huh

Those peeps should never read Daredevil comics or read up on other ressurections by the Hand.

Those include Wolverine and Hulk.

I liked all the shows so far but The Hand is trash tier so far. They keep saying how bad of guys they are but what have they actually done? They've been pretty boring at this point.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Yeesh, I must be the only one on GAF that enjoyed Jessica Jones.
JJ has such high highs but such low lows. It has wonderfully tense moments, but then it goes through these profound moments where characters have to act like complete idiots for the sake of Kilgrave escaping again...

I said this after it came out, and I stand by it. Jessica Jones had the best story to tell, but Daredevil was just better handled.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Elektra was great. Everything in her plotline involving the Hand was pure guff.
It only falters in the sense that the Hand plotline starts off vague, but is never well-defined past that. There is no payoff to these fun mysteries, which hey, maybe Defenders manages to fulfill that? But it never felt like they had a real clue as to what the fuck they were building to.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I don't think it's fair IMO, to split Luke Cage into 2 "seasons". If an Olympic diver face slams into the side of the pool after a perfect jump, they don't split for the vote like "10 for the dive, 0 for the part where she killed herself".

Half the season was garbage. It's sad cause Ep 1-7 where some of the best Marvel Netflix tv. But the show as a whole ending up being a disappointment. Still a good show though.

I loved the Hand stuff in DD season 2. It's textbook Daredevil. To each his own I guess.

Same. That was fantastic.

DD s2 was an up and down mess for me during the last few episodes. I hated the fight scene on the rooftop at the end with the hand where everyone on the ground can apparently see what's going on on a roof and somehow the cops don't A) call in a helicopter or B) surround the perimeter of the building, not to mention The Punisher showing up almost out of nowhere in a record time

KDC720

I want to be excited for this but the Netflix output has started to wane for me. Daredevil season 2 and Jessica Jones were all over the place quality wise, The first half of Luke Cage was great but the second half was a train wreck for the most part. I haven't even watched Iron Fist yet.

8 episodes might help to alleviate some of these pacing issues that these shows suffer from, but those early reviews aren't exactly glowing.

Kelsdesu

Four pages in and already derailed on show rankings.

Anyway. I am not too enthusiastic about this show after Iron Fist.

LotusHD

Banned

Nah, we're out there. It's just that some people really didn't like it on GAF. Outside of GAF however, the show is still well praised, so yea.

Most people here liked it. But the ones who didn't won't shut the fuck up.

This lol

LC's 2nd half really brought it down, it was so damn disheartening. Meanwhile no matter wanna say about DD's Hand subplot, it still has the neat martial arts to help you through any missteps, not that I disliked it as much as others seemed to. Also that brief Kingpin appearance was amazing.

GKnight

Banned
My only problem with the hand is how they aren't being used right.
Okay so they dont burst into flames... But why are they using guns and just seeming like gangsters when we see them? Why are they just smuggling drugs and not doing actual hand like things like summoning demons and stuff.

Who is Sigourney weaver, why is an old white lady in charge of the hand that makes no sense.
Stick is great though complainers about him are out of their mind.

Also Im wondering how long daredevil will have to go till they acknowledge his radar sense or will he just never have it?

Vic_Viper

Edit: didnt realize you meant split, not spit. My bad.

My only problem with the hand is how they aren't being used right.
Okay so they dont burst into flames... But why are they using guns and just seeming like gangsters when we see them? Why are they just smuggling drugs and not doing actual hand like things like summoning demons and stuff.

Also Im wondering how long daredevil will have to go till they acknowledge his radar sense or will he just never have it?

Did you see Daredevil lol? They were trying to bring in the Black Sky in season 1 and ended up finding it in season 2. Pretty sure the Defenders will be some sort of Shadowland style story too. Plus they had that giant hole in the ground in season 2 that still hasnt been explained. They are obviously just taking it slow and not going full on demons from the get go, you know trying to be more grounded.

They acknowledged his radar sense also already in season 1.

GKnight

Banned
They acknowledged his radar sense also already in season 1.

They showed a first person world on fire view which isn't radar sense, radar sense is 360 degree vision showing it in first person completely misconstrues it.
Aside from that they never said radar sense which he says all the time in the comic (it's in every intro page for daredevil comics)

Honestly if it wasn't for its 2nd half Luke Cage would be my second favorite Netflix series after DDS2. Its just man things CRASH so hard after
Cottonmouth dies
. Its a damn shame because the first half is so so so good. I actually enjoyed Iron Fist with all its problems more than the 2nd half of that season.

EYEL1NER

I think I might need to go through these again before Defenders drops.
I rewatched half of S2 of Daredevil and all of JJ right before Iron Fist came out. I think I'll run through S2 of Daredevil, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage again before Defenders. I might actually just watch them all again though; JJ is fantastic and if I'm rewatching DD S2, might as well blow through the first season again.

thats early

ive cooled off on netflix mcu a lot but will def check this out

same...i really love Daredevil but the rest, i'm kinda not so hot on it.

I gave up on JJ mid-season as the pacing is so off. Haven't watch Luke Cage and Iron Fist yet.

I binged through both seasons of DD on a single weekend.

Sojgat

Honestly if it wasn't for its 2nd half Luke Cage would be my second favorite Netflix series after DDS2. Its just man things CRASH so hard after
Cottonmouth dies
. Its a damn shame because the first half is so so so good. I actually enjoyed Iron Fist with all its problems more than the 2nd half of that season.

Second half of Luke Cage falls off, but it doesn't get truly terrible until the last two episodes. That's when it pretty much becomes a parody of itself. They've really got to work out how to wrap up these shows better. No matter how great the season is, the final episode is always a dud.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Didn't they make a big hole in the ground?

I'm still hoping that they dug the grave Punisher throws them in.

same...i really love Daredevil but the rest, i'm kinda not so hot on it.

I gave up on JJ mid-season as the pacing is so off. Haven't watch Luke Cage and Iron Fist yet.

I binged through both seasons of DD on a single weekend.

Pacing of JJ works for me because they nailed the feeling of depression. It's frustrating and even at it's brightest feels all consuming. Plus the anti-climatic ending is some powerful shit. Even if you tackle the problem, it doesn't guarantee you'll be any better.

Alienfan

You and me both. The only "Defenders" season I finished, watched it in like 2 days. David Tennant was fantastic as a villian, better than any Marvel villian I can think of (movies included).

I rewatched the first two episodes of Daredevil. Do we know anything about his mom? His dad called her on the phone before he died to take care of Matt, but she didn't follow through on that. I'm curious about her. I assume she's shit.

I really hope this turns out great, but the trailers haven't really excited me much. It just seems like more of the same and I get the impression they will squander the team up. Regarding the reviews, I know they only represent the first 4 episodes, but they have been building to this show since Daredevil, this should be a home run.

Second half of Luke Cage had a stupid plot, but I actually kinda liked Diamondback. I like hammy, scene-chewing villains in general though, so I understand why people don't like him. Last episode was shit though, no defending that.

Punisher DD S2 > DD S1 > Cottonmouth LC > JJ > Elektra DD S2 > Diamondback LC > IF

Iron Fist is the only series I think was actually bad though. Man it was bad.

Top Bottom