• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice there are now pages of people scoffing at the idea of people eventually getting a system because it ends up with a good number of games they would enjoy for it.

PC: SC2/TF2/BL2. Already own.
PS4: Multiple games I would enjoy for the next year.
XB1: Multiple game I would enjoy for the next year.
PS3: Multiple games I will enjoy for the next year. Already own.
Vita: Multiple games I will enjoy for the next year. Already own.

Some of us don't have time to play on multiple systems. So yes, that's why even though a system might have great games, it doesn't make sense to get every system. This is the reason I never picked up a 360. I just don't have the time.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I notice there are now pages of people scoffing at the idea of people eventually getting a system because it ends up with a good number of games they would enjoy for it.

"Come on you can't resist any gaming system that gets released!" Isn't much of an argument.

Plenty of people do that. All the time. Anyone who owns just a Wii, 360 or just a PS3 has already demonstrated this IMPOSSIBLE IRON WILL.

BigDug13

Who would want to become a Game Developer if the future is that games cease to exist after being turned off at the server level? What's the point in creating something if it's completely temporary and will not live on through time?

Steroyd

Every single person who is in every single thread hating on the Xbox One will buy it eventually if it has a games that they would really like to play. TRUTHFACT

Not when the competition has alternatives of the same genre's.

Halo --> Killzone
Gears of War --> Uncharted
Forza --> Gran Turismo
Banjo Kazooie --> Ratchet and Clank (?)
Crackdown --> Infamous

And more.

Of course you might think one is better than the other because of reasons, but much like through the whole generation the PS3 and Xbox 360 have been nicknamed the "HD Twins"

Personally I've never felt like I lost anything not owning a Xbox 360 because of this.

Gestault

"Come on you can't resist any gaming system that gets released!" Isn't much of an argument.

Plenty of people do that. All the time. Anyone who owns just a Wii, 360 or just a PS3 has already demonstrated this IMPOSSIBLE IRON WILL.

The way you paraphrased the offending sentence perfectly spells out the point I was trying to make. You were trying to convey what was wrong with the original statement, which would have been helpful. The problem is, the original sentence is right there, and its not too long, so we don't even need to paraphrase it. So here it is:

"Every single person who is in every single thread hating on the Xbox One will buy it eventually if it has games that they would really like to play."

These don't have even close to the same meaning. You, and many others, ignored what was actually said because what was actually said wasn't bad. People who like games will be willing to buy a system if it gets enough of the games they like for it. Like I said, it's laughable that we're at a point in time where that's an offensive thing to say.

im just assuming as well of course, i mean if peoples copies of Halo 5 single player stop working there will be rioting in the streets.

I wouldn't worry about riots

images

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
PC: SC2/TF2/BL2. Already own.
PS4: Multiple games I would enjoy for the next year.
XB1: Multiple game I would enjoy for the next year.
PS3: Multiple games I will enjoy for the next year. Already own.
Vita: Multiple games I will enjoy for the next year. Already own.

Some of us don't have time to play on multiple systems. So yes, that's why even though a system might have great games, it doesn't make sense to get every system. This is the reason I never picked up a 360. I just don't have the time.

Yep. I've got a bigger backlog than I'd like from having both a 360 and PS3 currently (and bought a Wii a couple of times throughout this gen too).

I won't do that next time. I'll wait a year or so at least and see which has the better line up, features etc. for my tastes and just go with one console next time.

I just don't have the time for/interest in gaming to justify owning more than one console anymore. I just can't keep up with the games. I doubt I could even keep up with all the games I'd like to play on just one console, much less two or three. And I also have a 3DS that I plan on keeping and enjoying.

Gestault

Not when the competition has alternatives of the same genre's.

Halo --> Killzone
Gears of War --> Uncharted
Forza --> Gran Turismo
Banjo Kazooie --> Ratchet and Clank (?)
Crackdown --> Infamous

And more.

Of course you might think one is better than the other because of reasons, but much like through the whole generation the PS3 and Xbox 360 have been nicknamed the "HD Twins"

Personally I've never felt like I lost anything not owning a Xbox 360 because of this.

If games are so interchangeable to you, I think you may not be appreciating a lot of the nuance that's actually present. I'm a happy PS3 owner, but I hope you can understand why reducing these games down to category checklists so you can justify not trying other titles sounds so sad. It's like saying "I have no interest in playing Chrono Trigger because Phantasy Star IV exists."

Also, even if we're thinking about this like hobbyists, in terms of industry dynamics, pretending that the sales performance of something like Forza is comparable to Gran Turismo, or that Killzone is comparable to Halo is just ignoring real-life.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
The way you paraphrased the offending sentence perfectly spells out the point I was trying to make. You were trying to convey what was wrong with the original statement, which would have been helpful. The problem is, the original sentence is right there, and its not too long, so we don't even need to paraphrase it. So here it is:
The point is not everyone's willing to sit down and eat a shit sandwich if potato salad is served as well.

Saying in essence "Meh. You're all full of BS. You all know you'll buy it because games." Isn't a valid point.

Why do people assume the games are going to become unplayable in 5-10 years? Maybe with their 300,000 servers theyll keep the games up forever, or maybe there will be an update patch or whatever that lets you play the game offline before they take the servers down.

I doubt that. They turned H2 PC MM off and that was probably running on a creaking 10 year old P4. XB1 servers went offline a few years after they stopped shipping the console.

I dont think servers will be turned off as soon as this gen ends but lets face it, it will have a time limit. Why would they keep them on when they are no longer manufacturing the X1 or making games for it?

I imagine 10 years would be the shelf life of any X1 game you get. After that, maybe MS will have some other solution but I seriously doubt they will leave the servers running. So even if by some miracle they take the DRM out, games that are heavily dependent on the internet (cloud or gameplay based) will be dead.

Gestault

I doubt that. They turned H2 PC MM off and that was probably running on a creaking 10 year old P4. XB1 servers went offline a few years after they stopped shipping the console.

I dont think servers will be turned off as soon as this gen ends but lets face it, it will have a time limit. Why would they keep them on when they are no longer manufacturing the X1 or making games for it?

I imagine 10 years would be the shelf life of any X1 game you get. After that, maybe MS will have some other solution but I seriously doubt they will leave the servers running. So even if by some miracle they take the DRM out, games that are heavily dependent on the internet (cloud or gameplay based) will be dead.

What's funny is, I'd be perfectly happy with that element of it (the mandatory network confirmations) if they'd just say that before they do eventually turn off the servers down they road, they'll make an update available that'll disable the requirement. I've seen other companies say as much, and while I don't assume these servers will just up and disappear unreasonbly soon, I don't want to be purchasing content for the system until I know for sure one way or the other.

The XB1 is the last system on my "want" list for this coming generation unless their clarifications also include some particular elements like this.

Steroyd

If games are so interchangeable to you, I think you may not be appreciating a lot of the nuance that's actually present. I'm a happy PS3 owner, but I hope you can understand why reducing these games down to category checklists so you can justify not trying other titles sounds so sad. It's like saying "I have no interest in playing Chrono Trigger because Phantasy Star IV exists."

Also, even if we're thinking about this like hobbyists, in terms of industry dynamics, pretending that the sales performance of something like Forza is comparable to Gran Turismo, or that Killzone is comparable to Halo is just ignoring real-life.

I'm not saying they're interchangeable I'm saying they're good enough alternatives to each other genre wise if you own either a PS3 or a Xbox 360. At the very least they're all good enough to not make you jelly that the other console has x game or y game or at the very least I've always felt the PS3 and Xbox 360 were too samey to own both.

Sales does not always equate to the quality of the game either, yes Halo and Gran Turismo are juggernauts of games but that doesn't mean Killzone and Forza are utter shit either.

Biker19

Banned
Well let's be honest, Digital Foundry is the most irrelevant site on the internet.

Endless comparison videos that only serve to make gamers dissatisfied. Oh no! I'm only getting 3 fps in combat scenes then the 360 / PS3 version. Sell Console, even though I can't tell from the videos....but *I now know it's 3fps less* For a site that claims to be the bastion of the hardcore gamer, NeoGaf certainly seems to be full of people more interested in megagigatessilationrender pixels then the actual content of the games. Not saying MS haven't screwed up, but at least they had some ambition outside just another box that plays games, what have Sony given you with PS4? Exactly the same thing they gave you with PS3. Then again, I backed the loser with the Dreamcast and it's then all new online console gaming and had to say goodbye because all you Sony fuckers bought PS2 instead.

You can't be serious, can you? A lot of people who buy gaming consoles buy it to play games. They couldn't care less about TV among other nonsense.

Second, Digital Foundry is very reliable in their comparisons (along with Beyond 3D).

Third, you ought to watch with the insulting inside the bold.

Biker19

Banned
Every single person who is in every single thread hating on the Xbox One will buy it eventually if it has a games that they would really like to play. TRUTHFACT

No. I'm going for PS4 for three simple reasons:

1.) I'm guaranteed more 1st/2nd party games later down the road,

2.) I'm guaranteed Japanese 3rd party support, &

3.) Online play might still be free.

DocSeuss

I'm not saying they're interchangeable I'm saying they're good enough alternatives to each other genre wise if you own either a PS3 or a Xbox 360. At the very least they're all good enough to not make you jelly that the other console has x game or y game or at the very least I've always felt the PS3 and Xbox 360 were too samey to own both.

Sales does not always equate to the quality of the game either, yes Halo and Gran Turismo are juggernauts of games but that doesn't mean Killzone and Forza are utter shit either.

They aren't good enough alternatives. Forza and Infamous are the only ones on that list that actually compete with/surpass their equivalents. Microsoft wins in every other case. Killzone in particular--that stuff's awful, as was Resistance (except 3, which was cool).

Raist

Banned
Wow this is pathetic... you just want it to be true even if they come out and say it's false?

It's the guy who posted a 360 vs PS3 comparison (and did something similar this timne around too) adding BW numbers randomly to make his company's console look much more powerful, while anyone with the tiniest bit of HW knowledge knows that it doesn't make any sense whatsoever to do that kind of "maths".

What do you think?

kingocfs

It's undeniably weird that he would reject a rumor about fucking esram from a message board. Especially a rumor that wasn't even getting traction from any sort of press.

FordGTGuy

Banned
It's the guy who posted a 360 vs PS3 comparison (and did something similar this timne around too) adding BW numbers randomly to make his company's console look much more powerful, while anyone with the tiniest bit of HW knowledge knows that it doesn't make any sense whatsoever to do that kind of "maths".

What do you think?

See as he is a Microsoft employee that would actually know something like this... I'm going to take his side yes.

Wow this is pathetic... you just want it to be true even if they come out and say it's false?

Maybe because he already knew it was false?

How familiar are you of the events of the RROD fiasco?

http://www.dailytech.com/Xbox+360+Failures+The+Inside+Story/article12892.htm

just saying, microsoft is not known for honesty....

Just want to say that Larry stonewalls questions he can't/won't answer, that he answered this at all is the most interesting thing.

SenjutsuSage redeemed?

No. You guys are just grasping at straws.

Multiple GAF insiders, all of which have been right time and and time again against a PR rep on a forum of communication that has already got one MS employee fired.

Raist

Banned
Just want to say that Larry stonewalls questions he can't/won't answer, that he answered this at all is the most interesting thing.

SenjutsuSage redeemed?

"I've got answers. Just need to round them up!"

That was a week ago.
Please.

SenjutsuSage redeemed?

I think it's interesting that his response pretty much confirms he is reading this thread. Otherwise how would he know about the "ESRAM issue" rumor without further context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom