• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ark

VdTkZeT.gif

gLYY7hk.png

Azerbaijan, Baku
25th June

iWvDRY3.png

skysports-f1-calendar_3843359.jpg

0VZ7D2l.png

MERCEDES
Race drivers: Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas
Engines: Mercedes

RED BULL
Race drivers: Daniel Ricciardo and JosMax Verstappen
Reserve driver: Pierre Gasly
Engines: TAG Heuer-badged Renault

FERRARI
Race drivers: Sebastian Vettel and Bwoah!
Third driver: Bwoah!
Engines: Bwoah!
Team Principle: Bwoah?

FORCE INDIA
Race drivers: Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon
Test driver: Alfonso Celis

WILLIAMS
Race drivers: Felipe Massa and Lance Stroll

MCLAREN-HONDA
Race drivers: Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne
Third driver: Jenson Button
Chief Strategist: Wax Free Vanilla
Engines: F2 Leftovers
Fuel: The tears of Spain
Trivia: McLaren-Honda about to have a higher unemployment rate than the youth of Spain.

TORO ROSSO
Race drivers: Carlos Sainz and Daniil Kvyat
Reserve driver: Pierre Gasly
Engines: Renault

FerrariHAAS
Race drivers: Romain Grosjean and Kevin 'The last driver to score a podium for McLaren' Magnussen
Engines: Ferrari

RENAULT
Race drivers: Nico Hulkenberg and Jolyon Palmer
Reserve driver: Sergey Sirotkin
Engines: Renault

Sauber
Race drivers: Marcus Ericsson and Pascal Wehrlein
Engines: Ferrari (2016 spec)

0OGFMLA.png

2017 features one of the biggest regulation shake-ups since the introduction of hybrid turbo power units in 2014. This time bodywork and tyres are the centre of attention, with both getting wider in order to boost downforce and grip, making the cars both faster and physically harder to drive. In fact, a reduction in lap time of around 3 to 5 seconds is expected.

Tyres
Tyres are around 25 percent wider than in 2016, with rear width up from 325mm to 405, and front width raised from 245 to 305. Tyre diameter has also increased very slightly, though wheel rim size remains unchanged at 13 inches.

Bodywork

Front wing

As shown in the drawings below from technical artist Giorgio Piola, front wing span is increased from 1650mm to 1800mm. Note also that the overall width of the car is up from 1800 to 2000mm.

Rear wing and rear diffuser

As shown in the drawings below, the height of the rear wing is reduced to a maximum of 800mm, down from 950 previously. Meanwhile, the diffuser is more powerful thanks to increased height - up from 125mm to 175 - and width - up from 1000mm to 1050. It is also longer, now extending ahead of the rear wheel axle line.

Sidepods

As shown below, bodywork is now wider, with maximum width up from 1400mm to 1600mm.

Weight

Maximum weight is increased from 702kg to 722kg plus tyres.

Power units

A rule change has been made to prevent drivers stockpiling spare power unit elements. During any single event, if a driver introduces more than one of a power unit element that is subject to a grid penalty, only the last element fitted may be used at subsequent events without further penalty. A number of changes have also been introduced aimed at reducing power unit costs, guaranteeing supply for customer teams, and closing the performance gap between engines:

- The power unit price for customer teams has been reduced by €1m per season compared to 2016.

- To ensure the supply of power units to customer teams, the homologation procedure now includes an ‘obligation to supply' that is activated in the event of a team facing an absence of supply.

- The previous ‘token' system for in-season engine development has been removed.

- Additionally, constraints on power unit part weights, dimensions and materials, and on boost pressure, are being introduced in 2017 and in 2018.

Other changes

Wet-weather standing starts

If a safety car is deemed to be required for the beginning of a race due to wet weather, unlike previously a normal standing start will occur once the track is deemed safe to race. The process will see the safety car return to the pit lane and the cars assemble on the grid for the start.

Helmet livery

Drivers must continue to use essentially the same helmet design at all races for easy recognition of the driver in the car. However, each driver is now allowed to use a special livery at one event of his choosing, such as a home race for example. Drivers will also be allowed to change their helmet liveries if changing teams during the season.

untitled-89vun1.gif

Zaru

Times mean nothing until Q3 but that won't stop me from reading into practice times anyway
Gonna stay up past my bedtime to watch FP1 (if I find some stream)

TCRS

Banned
let's go! bring glory back to maranello!!

also can't wait for alonso to commit sudoku in the middle of the track

dakun

I'm very excited for the start of this season. So much so that i took the day off tomorrow so i can watch FP1&2

Ark

I have to confess: This is probably my weakest OT ever. It'll probably get revamped with more Alonso gifs.

Now someone make this gif McLaren-Honda / Alonso related

2423558-4098763091-iydgE.gif

First time reading about the car changes, wider, flatter, bigger wheels? they look really cool.

Last year I was unable to watch many races but this year I have sky go on my work pc, so i'm all set!

That OP is good. Great stuff, really.

Can't wait for Ferrari not being able to challenge Mercedes at the top. I'm ready for something new this season!

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Hey, did you have to get permission to make this OT? I'm planning on making an Indycar one when I get thread reaction privileges.

Chris R

Suck it Europe, one of the few races on at a reasonable time for me.

9PM Saturday night, can't fucking wait.

Just hoping Lewis wins a VERY close race. If he drives off with it I'll probably just DVR the rest of the races I'm not normally awake for.

tomtom94

Dunno if it's just me being in a bad mood, but I think the OP is probably a little heavy on the jokes. In particular, you could at least put in the actual time of the Grand Prix and not rely on a joke about Sauber that's what, three years old?

KdotIX

MCLAREN - HONDA
Race drivers: Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Hasslestoff
Third driver: Jenson Button
Chief Strategist: Wax Free Vanilla
Engines: F2 Leftovers
Fuel: The tears of Spain
Trivia: McLaren-Honda about to have a higher unemployment rate than the youth of Spain.

[

This is so brutal but so god damn funny.

McNum

Kevin 'The last driver to score a podium for McLaren' Magnussen
Really? And then they fired him and haven't gotten a podium since.

This season's cars are looking much better than last year. Now if that means better races remains to be seen...

Ark

Dunno if it's just me being in a bad mood, but I think the OP is probably a little heavy on the jokes. In particular, you could at least put in the actual time of the Grand Prix and not rely on a joke about Sauber that's what, three years old?

I actually toned the jokes back believe it or not. To be fair about Sauber, the only joke they have other than Giedo Van Der Garde, is the actual team itself.

I will actually put the times in the OP, don't you worry.

Is Ferrari good again?

They genuinely looked very good in testing. I did throw in the Montezemolo gif just in case though.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
At least there's talk of getting rid of the fins and t-wings for next year. These cars are the best they've looked in years.

spuckthew

Finally my weekends have purpose again :p

That "A" at the beginning of the thread title is bugging the shit out me :S

Ark

Just a reminder of how much nicer they look

NyTiVEo.jpg

https://images.scribblelive.com/2017/2/27/eb3296fd-23b7-47b9-a6e1-52d830a59d75_800.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]https://images.scribblelive.com/2017/2/27/ec19b2ef-a607-4430-ba85-79b96f25eb52_800.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

I really hope the Toro Rosso is as quick as it looks this year.

[quote="spuckthew, post: 232647917"]Finally my weekends have purpose again :P

[spoiler]That "A" at the beginning of the thread title is bugging the shit out me :S[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Oh for fucks sake. I do this [i]every[/i] season OT. PM'd a mod.

Randdalf

From all the interviews, the only thing I know about Lance Stroll so far is that he's had very intense media training.

tomtom94

I actually toned the jokes back believe it or not. To be fair about Sauber, the only joke they have other than Giedo Van Der Garde, is the actual team itself.

Fair. I just felt upon opening it that if I were someone who didn't get all of our lovely F1 in-jokes I'd feel really alienated and a bit put off commenting.

I also really don't understand what people still have against Sauber but w/e

They genuinely looked very good in testing. I did throw in the Montezemolo gif just in case though.

But now that he mentioned it, it is very heavy on the jokes and not really that helpful for outsiders. I didn't even get the Sauber joke.

Chris R

But now that he mentioned it, it is very heavy on the jokes and not really that helpful for outsiders. I didn't even get the Sauber joke.

It's this kinda stuff that gets a thread banished to the OT-Community section faster than a Honda engine can die :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom