• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Singleton's Snowfall - Full Season 1 Trailer Up - premieres July 5th on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUX0tDlKU-k

Set in 1983, Snowfall is a drama set against the infancy of the crack cocaine epidemic in Los Angeles. The story follows numerous characters on a violent collision course, including a young street entrepreneur, a Mexican wrestler caught in a struggle within a crime family, a CIA operative running from a dark past, and the daughter of a Mexican crime lord. Snowfall premieres Summer 2017 on FX.

Mod Abuse:

The full trailer for Snowfall is up.

1viXlUe.jpg

Fury451

Banned
FX is killing it with the show concepts for the past few years.Probably one of my favorite content producers right now.

Excited for more black representation on TV. A lot of black directors would be better suited there instead of film since tv's on a diversity kick rn.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Excited for more black representation on TV. A lot of black directors would be better suited there instead of film since tv's on a diversity kick rn.

I was just thinking the same thing. Hollywood is really yearning for more black people in shows about drug epidemics in the inner city. That's a story that just hasn't really been explored at all.

(to be clear-- I'm ecstatic that it's John Singleton getting a show. Just not sold yet on whether we need another drug drama with black youths so white assholes can fawn over it and say "aw it's so great they're making their own art!" Maybe I'm just cranky though. I should go eat a snickers, haha.)

hydruxo

FX is killing it with the show concepts for the past few years.Probably one of my favorite content producers right now.

FX is so great. They're more concerned with quality than ratings so they don't mind taking risks on shows like Legion and others.

Snowfall looks awesome, can't wait to check it out.

I was just thinking the same thing. Hollywood is really yearning for more black people in shows about drug epidemics in the inner city. That's a story that just hasn't really been explored at all.

(to be clear-- I'm ecstatic that it's John Singleton getting a show. Just not sold yet on whether we need another drug drama with black youths so white assholes can fawn over it and say "aw it's so great they're making their own art!" Maybe I'm just cranky though. I should go eat a snickers, haha.)

Did you even read the synopsis of the show I posted in the OP?

YOOOOOO! This looks GREAT.

He's not letting up in 2017. He has another show in development for The CW as well.

I'll definitely check out Snowfall and Rebel.

...WTF this looks crazy good.

Snowfall too, of course.

Ever since The New Edition Story, BET has been stepping up it's game to compete with other networks in the scripted drama TV shows with high production values.

Snowfall has a premiere date: July 5th at 10/9c.
Set against the infancy of the crack cocaine epidemic and its ultimate radical impact on the culture as we know it, the story follows numerous characters on a violent collision course, including Franklin Saint (played by Damson Idris), young street entrepreneur on a quest for power; Gustavo “El Oso” Zapata (Sergio Peris-Mencheta, Isabel), a Mexican wrestler caught up in a power struggle within a crime family; Teddy McDonald (Carter Hudson), a CIA operative running from a dark past who begins an off-book operation to fund the Nicaraguan Contras; and Lucia Villanueva (Emily Rios, The Bridge), the self-possessed daughter of a Mexican crime lord.

Socreges

Banned
Just saw a commercial on ABC. Great sell. Except:

THIS
IS
HOW
CRACK
BEGAN

That was weird. Almost like they're glorifying it.

- Washington Post on Snowfall:
Complicated? Yes, but once again an FX series artfully demonstrates the narrative discipline it takes to launch a story with multiple characters and perspectives and accomplish it with the structural nuisance of commercial breaks. “Snowfall” is lean, mean and precise. Though it fictionalizes and chronicles a depressing (and violent) American crisis, it belongs on everyone’s must-watch list this summer. Grade: A-

I wonder if the show is edited like it is in the trailer with all the filters and quick cuts. Would be best if it's more raw but I know they wanna show it's about ~drugs.

Dammit, this is one of the only new shows I was looking forward to this summer. I'll be interested to see what the other reviews have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom