• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Zoe

Antiochus said:
Possibly. But currently, the reverse is happening. Those interested in more diverse genres of music are repelled by the perceived singular focus on "mainstream" pop music, rather or not its true.

Which is why there's the other thread...

Antiochus

Hiromi Uehara's Time Control (2007)

Genre: Jazz/fusion jazz/nu-jazz/acid jazz

folder.jpg

What is the nature of time? How do we perceive it? Is it real or not? If you come with these questions to this album, don't bother. It will never be answered. What will be answered however is your thirst for music that dares to play with your expectations and senses. Jazz fans, abandon your preconceptions henceforth. Those who never to listen to Jazz and think it mundane, listen to this and repent godspeed. Ms. Uehara, who graduated from the same musical institution as trance DJ BT, is primarily a pianist by training, and it shows. Her playing brings classical influences to the foray, yet she sprinkles if not floods it with out of the blue spontaneity and energy on par with any hip hop DJ. Her approach to jazz is simple: the best way to recreate something is to destroy it first, then assemble the pieces back into something shocking . Thus her unconventional structures within each song, layered with electronic synths, and her frenetic energy that livens, not relaxes. To show her seriousness even a bass guitar was brought along for the ride. If there's gateway drug to Jazz in this decade, this is it.

For an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loDy4bAsCF4

Antiochus

Risette's ......Risette (2008)

Genre: Indie pop/Lounge/Shibuya Kei

jk.jpg

Perhaps one of the most obscure underground acts in Japan right now. Precious little is known about them, but what can be gathered is relatively straightforward. Founded in 1995 by students in Waseda University, they performed thanklessly in lounges, bars, etc. before finally releasing their first album "Your Own Sweet Way". Headed by two guitarists and vocalist Yu Tokiwa, their style can be best described as lounge pop passed through an acoustic filter, then sprinkled with tidbits of electric elements. Comparisons with certain Swedish pop acts is not unwarranted. But more than anything, Tokiwa's voice is the standout of this group, where she brings a lush, lucid quality to the music. Risette's eponymous album in 08 was roundly ignored, which is a shame, because this is the band at their best, expanding their acoustic palette with certain chillout/downtempo overtones, while Tokiwa's voice has never been so delicate and touching. An excellent way to meander through an afternoon.

Their live acts, by the way, are even better than their records
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sky8fNnAq4s

Priz

My personal favorite album of the decade was Superfly's Box Emotions. I've been listening to J-pop since the early 90's (and my favorite J-Rock band Luna Sea since 1996) and heard of many groups but I discovered her by sheer accident on my Japan Airlines flight as they had "Hanky Panky" on the plane's audio system as one of the featured songs that month.

WPZL-30158.jpg

I picked up her album at Tower Records in Aki and started checking out her stuff. Really liked her songs (starting with "Alright!!", the first track on the album and やさしい気持ちで which is just a beautiful song) and looked into more info. I found out that she did a song with two of the members of Jet, performed at Woodstock's 40th anniversary and was actually decently popular. She even played at Budokan recently, which I picked up the Blu-ray of the concert.

She also sang the official song of Samurai Blue, the Japan World Cup team.

It's been a crazy year, let alone a decade. I went to Japan last October for the first time since 1997 and we saw like 8 groups perform on stage, and in 5 days in Japan, went to concerts on 4 of them (the other day was at Tokyo Disneysea so we saw music on stage, BUT not really the same thing... :) ) I saw Peelander Z, TsuShiMaMiRe, The Emeralds, Luna Sea, Hikaru Utada and the Pillows - all from Japan, all for their first shows in the US. (Many people know most of these bands, but very very few know Superfly, so I'm working to change that and hopefully get her here before 2012.)

One of the other favorite albums I've listened to way too much is Halko Momoi's Sunday Early Morning. I've been talking to Halko since 1998 and now she's famous enough... the Japanese fans of hers (Momoists) call me "American Momoist no Ichiban". They're amazing people, too. They'll go to some event in Japan where you have to buy 10 copies of a CD single to get some promo item, so they'll buy 10 or 20 copies... and then give them or the promo posters they have in case we're missing anything. I think the first time my friend Li met them at her first US appearance, they gave him a basket with over $4000 worth of CD's/DVD's/etc.

It's enjoyable to hang out with everyone and due to her events, and poking by the few regulars in California, I turned 40 in 2010 and have traveled more in the last 3 years than I have in my entire lifetime! I went to Hawaii for the first time for the Honolulu Festival, I went to Canada for the first time for Anime North, to Vegas (only went once in 1995 for Winter CES, haven't been since) for Momoi Night, and so on. Having a great time with good friends. :)

4XCEY.jpg

Romantic Summer is such a great song to dance to... plus I believe this is the Missile Chewbacca edit, which has a version of Miserlou mixed in there.

Cowie

I recently discovered Chatmonchy (Thanks, Kuragehime!) and fell in love. There are few things in this world I like more than some good ol Girl Rock. It feels like Japan's just got it's finger on the pulse of Girl Power, because when I need a hit it's almost always where I go, dating back to my discovery of Judy and Mary in the late 90's.

I also recently discovered that they came to the US in the last year, and I had no idea who they were then =(

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Are there any fans of Buffalo Daughter or Ooioo around here? I never see them mentioned in these threads, but they're probably my favorite two groups from Japanland. Not that I count myself as an expert.

Antiochus

Chatmonchy is by no means a bad group. Many of their early stuff had a sweet, attractive vibe that managed not to stray into treacly territory. Unfortunately, post major label transition, they are far less viable than before.

shahkur said:
GAF, I REALLY recommend the following when it come to J-music.

EXILE

RZCD-45862_t_01_400.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSEksNCHi30

And

DA PUMP

4109051234.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN7qhyYBoJY

And

J SOUL BROTHERS

mainly.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLPmR_ZmPLU

In order:
YES. yes. and YEEEESSSSSS

I really wish I liked Issa's voice though... Anyway, J Soul Brothers have the potential to be beastly. Ryuji & Hiromi still need a lot of training (dancing & singing) but they will get there. They look like dear caught in headlights when performing live :lol or maybe just 'slightly awkward'

Antiochus

With New Year's dinner over, back to work!

Takagi Masakatsu's Coeida (2004)

Genre: Modern Classical/Nu-Classical/Electronic/Ambient/

R-333636-1127312163.jpg

Conventional historians of classical music usually chronicle it's trials and tribulations right into the 50's and 60's of this century before ending. Its understandable. Classical music made a transition from being a breathing, constantly evolving tradition to one that concerns itself only with tradition and nothing else. How else to explain the absence of our Mozarts and Beethovens on the Billboard charts? True, but thankfully,misleadingly so.

Starting around two decades ago we began to receive new musicians, though not necessarily from a classical background, managed to create intrepid works that shared the spirit and vision, if not the structure and melodies, of their 18th/19th century luminaries. One of them is Takagi Masakatsu. Surprisingly, but perhaps not so surprisingly, Mr. Masakatsu made his career first as a painter, graphics artist, video director, and all around visual media artist.His work was good enough to put up on galleries and win awards. He has been featured in Apple iTunes. Despite this, he decided to move to actually composing his own music.

Since his forte lies in directing and arranging various static and moving visuals, his albums, especially this one, start off with that as the foundation. The pictures before the sound. Moving the cart before the horse? Maybe, but the results speak for themselves. By basing his music on the images, he not only syncs those two together, but also manages to create audio pieces that evoke those pictures effortlessly without them. This album is nothing less than a pure exercise in synesthesia, and what a glorious exercise it is. Pianos, violins, cellos, and percussion form the mainstay, with arrangements truly indistinguishable from things two centuries ago. However, they are spiced up with varopis electronica riffs and synths. Half of the album could be played in 19th century Parisian cafe and no one would bat an eye(or ear). The other half fits seamlessly into any acid jazz album. Regardless of what they are, they all share the same thing: overwhelmingly beautiful melodies. Melodies that not only paints new landscapes, but melodies that uplifts your spirit to ever greater heights. Classical music isn't dead. Like the dinosaurs, they've merely evolved into something more nimbler and flexible than before.

Samples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEQV_YmhZcE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHrOsaDgXbI

Solune

Been waiting for a Jpop thread :D
luka said:
Yesss.. Over the distance is great.
cvxfreak said:
Many good recommendations in this thread.

Another I would recommend is Ken Hirai, who is more R&B than J-Pop, although he considers himself a Japanese pop singer. Very unique voice and he's got a good mix of songs. POP STAR is his most internationally recognized hit. Loving his recent song Sing Forever.

Awesome, Winter Lover version of Pop Star is so good. Fits the time of year too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4X9nvPK_Dg

gray_fox224 said:
No Mika Nakashima up in this mug?
Indeed
Sakurairo Maukoro - Piano in this is really good.

Alot of good songs in so far in this thread, some random recommendations from me.

JUJU - Sakura Ame
Kusuo feat. Hiroko - Tegami
Home Made Kazoku - Nukumori
Home Made Kazoku - You ~Anata ga Soba ni Iru Shiawase~
Yuna Ito - Alone Again
Sugawara Sayuri - Kimi ni Okuru Uta

Antiochus

Luminous Orange's Drop You Vivid Colors (2002)

Genre: Indie rock/Shoegaze

luminousorange2.jpg

On the subject of long "moribund" but "revived" genres, shoegaze is probably one of the most guilty offender of this. After My Bloody Valentine, any aspiring shoegaze band will be forever condemned to be compared to them. Considering their towering status, it is not a surprise that for a better part of a decade little to no shoegazing occurred in the Western world.
But in Japan, things were different. Out came Luminous Orange in 1992, founded by vocalist and guitarist Rie Takeuchi. Originally an all girl band, the lineup has changed so much its simply not worth keeping track of all of the members, except for one, and that is the one and only Ms.Takeuchi. To say this album is similar to MBV is inaccurate; it was completely inspired by them and build from the ground up as their spiritual successor. By and large, Luminous Orange succeeds in this endeavor. The classic distorted and oozy guitar riffs are omnipresent here, along with the expected raw, throaty production. Old, somewhat archaic, yet fresh. Ms.Takeuchi's vocals help things out as well by corraling those guitars into something more tranquil and subtle. Since it was 2002, the band also added some shibuya kei elements to spice things up. Are they better than MBV? Of course not, but being their heir 1 step down is no mean feat. Drop you vivid colors indeed.

Unfortunately, Youtube is not cooperating with this album. These songs aren't from DYVC, but they give a good taste of what to expect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVfC20x1VIY

Note: Song title should be "Tears of Honey", NOT "Astral Honey"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXpWS5nHnZM

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Blablurn said:
Ayumi Hamasaki confirmed that she is going to marry this austrian guy, mannie!

I'm not sure if it's going to be a promising relationship if the guy's twitter name is "Mannie69". I hope it works out well though, her career is amazing. also.....prenup please

Antiochus

Clammbon's 2010 (2010)

Genre: Indie pop/Electropop/Art rock

clammbon_2010.jpg

Headed by the bubbly and subdued, cute yet intense Harada Ikuko (who's serves as the group's vocalist and pianist), Clammbon is quite possibly one of the most innovative indie J- pop trio of this decade. More than once words fail to capture what their style really is, but this will have to suffice. Their style, passionate, irreverent, off beat and humorous. Their earliest work, generous dollops of jazz pianos, accompanied by nearly off key vocals from Harada. As time moved on, more genres were blended in. 2010's offered anywhere from orchestral pieces to hip hop beats, rap, and electric synths to pico pop and lo fi acoustics. The amount of charm is off the charts, and despite the eclectic nature, the album holds and flows well. The lyrics, poetic and clever. As mentioned before, words are difficult to describe, so its best to experience for yourself.

Keystone song from the album
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQLwGdZVJoA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU9o29_sA_M

faridmon

Listening to Oblivion Dust - Oblivion Dust (Post-Grunge, Prog. Rock)

obliviondust2.jpg

Really great Album, If you love the old Nirvana, Alice in Chains Albums, you will love this. added electronic effect is just icing on the cake.

oh and Haze is one of the best songs I ever heard

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Great posts Antiochus. I'm more inclined to check a link from your posts where things are slightly more detailed out in description compared to some lazy shill posting an album cover and a link with zero emphasis as to why I should bother clicking on it.

louis89

MattJon said:
Errr, okay :D When I first went to Japan in 2008, it was pure co-incidence that Ayu had a concert in Tokyo during my stay. I got a ticket from a reseller shop, and went along. It was pretty awesome to be honest, and I met a couple of other non-Japanese there too, we got talking and arranged to do it all again the next year.

Last year we saw Ayu again, and also catched Perfume's "Disco!Disco!Disco!" concert, which was insane - in a good way! It was more like a nightclub than a concert.

People figured out that Ayu was recording her new album in London, so I went along and got to meet her in person too. She signed a couple of my cd's, so that was nice.

I also saw Hikki on the last night of her tour in London. Had to stand in line for hours in the freezing cold, but it was worth it in the end, as I was right near the stage, haha.

This year we saw Ayu yet again(!) and then went over to Osaka to see Kumi Koda's "Universe" tour, which was really good too. We also saw Yasutaka Nakata's (capsule) set at Club Asia.

Oh, and then my flight home was cancelled for a week due to the volcano, and I've vowed never to return to Japan! With the exchange rate the way it is, I'll give it a miss next year...

I'd like to see m-flo too - think I missed the boat on that one though They do the occasional club party, but I guess we have to wait until (if) they release another album to get touring again.
wat

Post it on GAF next time :3

I've never been to a concert in Japan... I wanted to see Hoover's Ooover (which nobody has heard of but is my favourite Japanese band ever) the last time I went but the dates/locations of their shows didn't match up.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Maximum the hormone is really nice like many have noted already. Saw them live in SummerSonic last year and they are fantastic live.
MTG - Zetsubou Billy

Asian Kung-fu generation is really nice too. Sort of Weezer-like rock.
Ajikan - Rewrite
Loads of nice albums from them so if you like them you are covered.
'Understand' is good in Karaoke too hint hint.

I also like Ayaka who is a more relaxing female singer that has nice vocal range.
Ayaka - Mikatsuki

Kobukuro is a duo that plays some more mellow, lovesong type stuff. Good singers so again I bought their album.
Kobukuro - Kaze
This on is good in karaoke too and as a duet it's a nice variation for the normal single singer type stuff.

Of course Ayaka and Kobukuro made some duets, so here is a bonus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UAZwJ6lbzA
(again, good in Karaoke)

I will add more when I remember them.

Blablurn

Zoe said:
Sanspo's reporting they got married last night in Vegas with a small group of friends and staff.

Edit: Mannie confirmed on Twitter: http://twitpic.com/3md0qq

i wonder how this will end. she had a boyfriend for 7 years and didnt marry him. now, she sees this austrian guy and marrys him immediately.

btw, did anyone saw her virgin road performance at kouhaku 2010? very impressive :-o

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Antiochus said:

Luminous Orange's Drop You Vivid Colors (2002)

Genre: Indie rock/Shoegaze
On a another note this band released a album last year titled - Songs of Innocence. And it's probably one of my favorites of the year - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbNCLnBcPpo. Some of their EPs such as sugarplastic, sugarcoated are also very good and have some of their best songs.

Zoe

Morning Musume's back to 9 members

YMrLX.jpg

Three new girls, one from the Eggs.

Sayashi Riho (12)
Suzuki Kanon (12)
Ikuta Erina (13)
Fukumura Mizuki (14) (Hello! Project Egg)

Zoe

Well this thread didn't last long.

It's okay, Namie's back!

MswiEl.jpg

New collaboration album coming out on 3/23

・Wonder Woman / 安室奈美恵 feat.AI&土屋アンナ<新曲>
・make it happen / 安室奈美恵 feat.AFTERSCHOOL<新曲>
・#1 / 安室奈美恵 feat.川畑 要(CHEMISTRY)<新曲>
・UNUSUAL / 安室奈美恵 feat.山下智久<新曲>
・BLACK OUT feat.Lil Wayne&Namie Amuro / VERBAL
・FAKE/AI feat.安室奈美恵
・ROCK U feat. 安室奈美恵/ravex
・BLACK DIAMOND / DOUBLE × 安室奈美恵
・Do What U Gotta Do feat. AI, 安室奈美恵&Mummy-D/ZEEBRA
・Luvotomy/m-flo loves 安室奈美恵
・Do or Die feat.安室奈美恵/JHETT
・AFTER PARTY feat.安室奈美恵/ZEEBRA
・Wet'N Wild feat. SUITE CHIC/Heartsdales

Big surprises are YamaP, After School, and Lil Wayne (lol).

Previews: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh2ea9_cww_music

A video for Verbal's song has been made, but it won't be included on the CD+DVD version.

Capsule are releasing a new album in a few weeks (march 23rd) :D
Called 'Killerwave' - they released one of their tracks to sample, World of Fantasy
1. "OPEN THE GATE"
2. "WORLD OF FANTASY"
3. "I JUST WANNA XXX YOU"
4. "STRIKER"
5. "KEEP HOPE ALIVE"
6. "I WILL"
7. "WHAT IS LOVE"
8. "I CANT SAY I LIKE YOU"
9. "PRIME TIME"
10. "CLOSE THE GATE"

Blablurn

sounds awesome. she will always have a special place in my heart. love her music. and the new song with anna and AI sounds pretty awesome.

louis89

Zoe said:
Well this thread didn't last long.

It's okay, Namie's back!

New collaboration album coming out on 3/23

・Wonder Woman / 安室奈美恵 feat.AI&土屋アンナ<新曲>
・make it happen / 安室奈美恵 feat.AFTERSCHOOL<新曲>
・#1 / 安室奈美恵 feat.川畑 要(CHEMISTRY)<新曲>
・UNUSUAL / 安室奈美恵 feat.山下智久<新曲>
・BLACK OUT feat.Lil Wayne&Namie Amuro / VERBAL
・FAKE/AI feat.安室奈美恵
・ROCK U feat. 安室奈美恵/ravex
・BLACK DIAMOND / DOUBLE × 安室奈美恵
・Do What U Gotta Do feat. AI, 安室奈美恵&Mummy-D/ZEEBRA
・Luvotomy/m-flo loves 安室奈美恵
・Do or Die feat.安室奈美恵/JHETT
・AFTER PARTY feat.安室奈美恵/ZEEBRA
・Wet'N Wild feat. SUITE CHIC/Heartsdales

Big surprises are YamaP, After School, and Lil Wayne (lol).

Previews: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh2ea9_cww_music

A video for Verbal's song has been made, but it won't be included on the CD+DVD version.
I got into learning Japanese after listening to 60s/70s/80s... so I'm up for new stuff from her. But how much of this is new? Black Diamond is years old

BlazingDarkness said:
Capsule are releasing a new album in a few weeks (march 23rd) :D
Called 'Killerwave' - they released one of their tracks to sample, World of Fantasy
1. "OPEN THE GATE"
2. "WORLD OF FANTASY"
3. "I JUST WANNA XXX YOU"
4. "STRIKER"
5. "KEEP HOPE ALIVE"
6. "I WILL"
7. "WHAT IS LOVE"
8. "I CANT SAY I LIKE YOU"
9. "PRIME TIME"
10. "CLOSE THE GATE"
I don't like the single but I'm still hyped for this. I love pretty much everything Yasutaka Nakata does.

Top Bottom