• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ozark - Official Trailer (Netflix original series starring Jason Bateman)

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It's 1:00 and I just finished ep 9 and I want to finish this so bad but I need to get up at six. Damn. I dig this show.

Dadasch

I'm seriously surprised by the overwhelmingly positive reactions here...
It's not bad but it felt to me like this show basically followed the same pattern from episode to episode.
Some fuck-up -> somebody notices or sees something he shouldn't have -> I have to tell him/her/them everything what I do -> oh, surprisingly everything is fucked -> Guys, everything is ok, don't worry, we're a family and we've our back

I don't really want to call it boring but it's definitely monotonous and unimaginative.

And regarding the BB comparisons: It's not like BB S1 was some masterpiece. I would actually argue that I did like Ozark S1 more despite my criticism.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Finished the show a couple of days ago.

It didn't grab me as much as I thought it would but it was a pretty decent show. While I REALLY liked the first episode, I think it gave the show the wrong president because it was really slow compared to the rest of the season. Being slow isn't an issue, but it kinda makes it just seem extra slower because of all the crazy shit that happens in the first episode.

TBH I think it's a lazy comparison on reviewers parts.
One of the notable differences between Marty Byrde and Walter White, for instance, is that Marty repeatedly just lays it out there in terms of the truth of things. He tells his wife, he tells the kids, he tells Ruth etc. He's not trying to hide behind concocted stories, he puts out the truth when he feels it's appropriate. That doesn't seem to be something reviewers have quite grasped.

Eps. 1 and 2:
Both have been incredibly subversive of the Drama For Drama's Sake trope.

Jason Bateman just can't play an intimidating man, when a scene calls for it. Maybe that's what makes this show unique in that its about a straight man put in a dire situation. But I really can't take him seriously.

Jason Bateman just can't play an intimidating man, when a scene calls for it. Maybe that's what makes this show unique in that its about a straight man put in a dire situation. But I really can't take him seriously.
I never saw him as trying to be intimidating. He's more of a paternal voice of compartmentalized hyper rationality. He's always engaged in a business transaction, explaining why things are the way they are and how, when you do the math, its a net benefit for others to go along with him.

I never saw him as trying to be intimidating. He's more of a paternal voice of compartmentalized hyper rationality. He's always engaged in a business transaction, explaining why things are the way they are and why, when you do the math, its a net benefit for others to go along with him.

That's a fair perspective. Maybe the show isn't for me. To me, he is a one-note actor. His characters all seem the same, so I can only ever really see him as Michael Bluth.

I watched up through episode 2.

It's a part of his character. Watch some more, his inability to be intimidating or violent in speech is played in situations yet he still finds a way to maneuver his way to success.

This show is pretty great, hopefully everybody gives it a shot eventually.

emrober5

I finished the show in 3 days or so. Just fantastic. Top tier television drama.

I hope it is getting a lot of views on Netflix, I do see it at the top of the trending now but I'm not sure how those things work.

It's a part of his character. Watch some more, his inability to be intimidating or violent in speech is played in situations yet he still finds a way to maneuver his way to success.

This show is pretty great, hopefully everybody gives it a shot eventually.

Alright, you've convinced me. I'll consider continuing it.

Just finished it. Amazing show. I do think the
flashback on episode 9
was really unnecessary, but I'll ignore it because of how good everything else is edited.

This deserves another season and more praise for sure. I also don't get the BB comparison. I don't see that many similarities in the story and the shows are filmed and edited in a completely different way, I just don't see it.

Dabanton

TBH I think it's a lazy comparison on reviewers parts.
One of the notable differences between Marty Byrde and Walter White, for instance, is that Marty repeatedly just lays it out there in terms of the truth of things. He tells his wife, he tells the kids, he tells Ruth etc. He's not trying to hide behind concocted stories, he puts out the truth when he feels it's appropriate. That doesn't seem to be something reviewers have quite grasped.

Also Breaking Bad becomes a tasteless power fantasy in the later seasons.

The thing I love in this show is Marty is a very smart but desperate man trying to stay ahead of the very real threat of his family getting killed probably in front of him.

No need for flash or being the 'boss'

Hjod

Banned
Just finished it and now I want more. I love how they play with your expectations. The show really moves, really fast paced.

Spoilers.

I want to know more about Buddy, something is off with that dude, I think he's done some bad shit before relocating to where he lives now

Just finished it and now I want more. I love how they play with your expectations. The show really moves, really fast paced.

Spoilers.

I want to know more about Buddy, something is off with that dude, I think he's done some bad shit before relocating to where he lives now

spoiler answer...
Maybe he really killed the union guy...he laughed it off...but you know ...

Sane_Man

I thought the show was really good overall. I became stronger and stronger each episode, which bodes well for season 2 (presuming they make it).

The Snell family are two of the most hatable characters I've ever seen in a show. God I want bad things to happen to them.

Episode 2 (BB related):
Marty's wife just punching him in the face was a more realistic and visceral reaction than any reaction Skylar had to Walt when she first got pulled into the business IMO

Edit: the first two episodes move really fast

blackflag

I never saw him as trying to be intimidating. He's more of a paternal voice of compartmentalized hyper rationality. He's always engaged in a business transaction, explaining why things are the way they are and how, when you do the math, its a net benefit for others to go along with him.

at no point was he ever trying to be intimidating. hes just stuck in a fucked up situation and trying to keep his family alive

Also two episodes in, I'm really not getting Breaking Bad vibes at all besides the basic similarities of a family involved in crime, money laundering, and a cartel. Everything else feels very different, in tone and pace, in the protagonist's motivations and how they deal with their problem, in the sources of conflict, etc.

The big difference is that Walter got into the business from a position of curiosity; while there was the threat of his cancer, the early show had a fun "learning the ropes" vibe, and also the fish out of water feeling as he learned and then improved.

Here, from episode one, it's pure desperation. The very real threat of their family being brutally murdered colors everything. Marty isn't a newcomer learning the trade; he's a pro desperately trying to save his family any way he can.

Hell, in episode 2,
he gives up and seriously plans to commit suicide
. That ever-present looming danger and the dynamic of survival versus education makes this feel very un-Breaking Bad. Even when Breaking Bad did make that shift later on, it felt more playful than this. You kind of always knew Walt would come out on top somehow; Marty seems way over his head from the get-go.

120v

finally finished... my main gripe is Ruth should've been written as 5 years or so older. like, what 19 year old has that kind of criminal wherewithal?

also it chaffed me that a well-off chicago financier would find himself embroiled in that scenario but the flashback episode more or less addressed those questions when i never thought the show would

either way, sign me up for the long haul

Another neat thing I love is the O at the beginning of each episode, with the 4 icons that are different every time. Like a "preview" or "clues" to what awaits in the next hour. So cool. Never seen that done before, or maybe it has, or maybe not.

stenbumling

Unconfirmed Member
I think the things it's saying are largely about the symbiosis between economies and drug money which you wouldnt have seen yet having watched the first episode

Do you normally turn movies off after ten minutes with that decleration?

Well, you're not wrong, that was a kinda stupid thing of me to say. I usually can get the feel of a show based on the first episode though. That said, I watched 3 more episodes and it's actually pretty damn great – it probably helped that I watched those alone and with more focus. Not the best show of the year or anything, but I am at least looking forward to watching the rest of the season this weekend.

Haines

Banned
Im up to ep 9 i think. Kalidescope?

Episode totallty lost me. Didnt follow most of it. Worked an 8 hour shift after an hour of sleep so maybe thats why.

Feels like its a breaking bad rip off. But jason bateman sucks in this show. A lot.

The boy kid, the thug girl, the fbi agent and the music are the best parts.

Rest of it is average.

Narcos is 10x the show. Will it get another season?

TTOOLL

Finished E03 and this show is good. The music is excellent.

I really don't know about the Breaking Bad vibes, very different shows for me.

It's difficult to see Bateman in this role but I'm enjoying it anyway.

I didn't realize it was a science fiction series that takes place in an alternate world where noone uses electrical lighting and the ozone emits atmosphere that bathes the Earth in grayish-blue.

Haines

Banned
I didn't realize it was a science fiction series that takes place in an alternate world where noone uses electrical lighting and the ozone emits atmosphere that bathes the Earth in grayish-blue.

Yeah it kind of goes overkill on the blue sometimes.

Thats my main problem with the show. Im not sucked in and believing like breaking bad. Im just watching the production tie everything together into a pretty bow going voilaaa its good right? Right? You like it right?

Actually if the lead role had a killer actor it might work, bateman falls so flat it hurts

highrider

Banned
Another neat thing I love is the O at the beginning of each episode, with the 4 icons that are different every time. Like a "preview" or "clues" to what awaits in the next hour. So cool. Never seen that done before, or maybe it has, or maybe not.

I thought that was super cool as well.

Bateman killed it imo. I'd like to see a scene of him falling apart more by himself. But the dude is calm and collected. Was not expecting that moment at the Farm Meeting.

He believes in the numbers.its just how his brain works.

Holy Shit that got Dark for a second with the Preacher. Whew.

Yeah I was worried there. Mostly, these shows handle Christian characters like hypocritical idiots and I thought that this was headed down the same path which would’ve been super disappointing. We’ll see if the show continues.

He believes in the numbers.its just how his brain works.
Frankly, it’s his super power. His ability to talk his way out of any situation is on some x-men level stuff. Entertaining but hilarious. The only reason why this works on this show - which I enjoyed - is because the villains(specifically the cartel) are so over the top bad that you NEED super powers to deal with them.

TTOOLL

Just finished it. Incredible show!

Ruth and Wendy were great characters, they really surprised me because I didn't like them at first.
That hillbilly family is the worst, I hope they get fucked really hard by the cartel next season.

The story was very good overall and I can't wait for the next season. Bring it on!!

daemissary

Only halfway through but I think this might be my favorite Netflix original series so far. Which is crazy cuz I love me some Netflix series.

F34R

I want Ruth to come live with me. hehe...

I didn't expect what happened in the last episode. Wow.
don't make fun of rednecks lol

Top Bottom