• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tina Fey on Weekend Update on Protesting After Charlottesville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I've been reading some hot takes about Fey all day on Twitter, was it because of this? Because I don't really see why, anyone enlighten me?

a448a84d57.jpg

Jofamo

Has anyone ever like... watched SNL or Weekend Update before?

It's not a platform like Last Week Tonight where they seriously give advice on how to deal with real world issues.

It's a sketch comedy show.

Do you seriously think Tina's advice on how to tackle the Nazi issue is to ignore it and eat cake. It's a joke. On a comedy show.

PudieRSC

I think there's a truth to her statement of "Don't go out there. Don't get involved in violence" which is a totally valid stance to hold. Part of that as well seemed to be "just don't give them the voice or stage. Ignore them". The cake was just for comedic effect.

Exactly.

A big part of this issue is "hide and let them scream into the void" that shit does NOT work. Putting real consequences out there, marching against them, showing them you aren't afraid of their shit, etc. That's resisting. That's sticking up for what's right. That's showing the public how it's done.

When you continously sit inside and become inactive, they win. They get to trample minorities and run into women. With no barrier of resistance, they get to recruit, build, and get bigger. Things get more realized, more powerful, and start snowballing.

They've been screaming into the void for the longest, and found each other. That's the problem. We let this shit boil on too long without stopping it. Putting cake in your ass and plugging your ears isn't going to stop anything they do. They are dangerous, they are shitheads, and they have shown they will attack. Tina Fey's hot takes are a "mean well" sort of thing, but are completely stupid in our current climate. Now is not the time to baby the issue.

It's not a platform like Last Week Tonight where they seriously give advice on how to deal with real world issues.

Do you seriously think Tina's advice on how to tackle the Nazi issue is to ignore it and eat cake. It's a joke. On a comedy show.

The problem is, she's not being ironic. Or at least, if she is, she did a horrible job of doing so. So she's making a joke about a current situation that's pretty fucked up. And that's fine - comedians can do that. But people can rightfully give her heat for it because it's braindead as fuck to say "avoid Nazis :)"

Not saying everyone needs to start getting into fistfights, but inactivity is dumb and bullshit and kind of (most likely) the reason we got here.

I thought this as well... but maybe we're at a point where we need to stop joking about this. I know that's how people can cope but even on this forum, sarcasm and jokes are lost in the conversation and make people look like they're supporting some pretty bad stuff.

Indeed. Tina Fey's entire comedic style is based around deadpan absurdity. She's playing a character.

I know we all get our news from comedy shows these days but let's not take them as actual, like, advice or opinions.

seriously can these liberal comedians not just have the stupidest shit to say on important things

like white supremacists are murdering people, nobody gives a fuck about your rich ass

Comedy has been a political and social tool since the dawn of time. Take a load off dude.

Ignoring threats does not eliminate the danger they pose.

Ignore them as long as you want. Feel free to also ignore the political norms they erode, the institutions they hijack, the power and influence they gain, and the people they hurt. We'll be sure to remember how you felt about it as our neighbors disappear.

EDIT: Stress cake sounds good though.

DOUBLE EDIT: It's been over a half hour and I'm actually still thinking about eating an entire cake. So I'm actually changing my mind. I will stand against oppression but also enjoy a cake by myself.

ScribbleD

A lot of the counterpoints to people criticizing Tina Fey seem to boil down to, "She's just joking!"

Can someone explain what the joke is in saying "Hey, just sit home and don't engage them." Maybe I just don't get what's supposed to be funny there, or which part is supposed to be the joke.

PudieRSC

A lot of the counterpoints to people criticizing Tina Fey seem to boil down to, "She's just joking!"

Can someone explain what the joke is in saying "Hey, just sit home and don't engage them." Maybe I just don't get what's supposed to be funny there, or which part is supposed to be the joke.

I took it as the message(truth) behind it was "Don't engage them" whereas the joke was "do something absurd" instead.

Comedy has been a political and social tool since the dawn of time. Take a load off dude.

But this isn't a tool, it's a fucking waste of breath. I'm so sick of these rich new york liberals spewing out their meaningless bullshit when they could make comedy and art that inspires people to take action. It's a bunch of apolitical masturbating about serious shit with no end but to give themselves attention.

There are nazis in the street and these motherfuckers are literally saying let them eat cake.

Glass Rebel

This board has a strange fascination with the kinds of jokes where someone says something dumb/sexist/racist but because apparently it's not serious, it's funny and completely fine.

Indeed. Tina Fey's entire comedic style is based around deadpan absurdity. She's playing a character.

I know we all get our news from comedy shows these days but let's not take them as actual, like, advice or opinions.

What character? Seems like she's playing it fairly straight here. Is she the absent-minded liberal who refuses to be active even in the most dire of situations? Or is just a regular joe who wants this to wash over without involving herself?

Or maybe it's just Tina Fey making jokes in a sweatshirt and telling people to eat sheetcake.

Guevara

Here's a tip: listen for when the studio audience is laughing. Those are the jokes.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I'm going to guess here, but I think the part about staying home and eating cake to deal with the issue is the joke.

But this isn't a tool, it's a fucking waste of breath. I'm so sick of these rich new york liberals spewing out their meaningless bullshit when they could make comedy and art that inspires people to take action. It's a bunch of apolitical masturbating about serious shit with no end but to give themselves attention.

There are nazis in the street and these motherfuckers are literally saying let them eat cake.

Laughing only second to sex. She's selling the left.

Magilla

Banned
It failed as a joke and it failed as social commentary. That is why people are annoyed. If at had at least been a good joke then maybe I could overlook the shitty "message".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom