• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what sells more Injustice 2 or Marvel vs Capcom: Infinity?

Neoxon

Outside the cinematic and some parts of the Marvel TV universe, Marvel's name doesn't hold as much clout like DC does except for some characters (Spider-Man, Wolverine, Deadpool and so on).

I can see Marvel taking this only if IJ2 is incredibly bad.
You realize that they're all MCU, right?

Also, beyond Batman & Superman, Marvel's running the show in the eyes of the average joe. That said, I still expect Injustice 2 to do better.

Dysun

Nether Realm Studios games resonate much more with a general audience. The ease of picking it up and playing it, the single player content, the high production values are unrivaled.
MvCI has none of that, although I'm sure it will appeal to the Evo crowd to a far bigger degree.

Outside of Smash Brothers, there isn't a fighting series that can sell as much as Mortal Kombat or Injustice.

Fraeon

The fighting game community is a non-factor at the current moment. SF5 is pretty much running the FGC yet it's on track to being one of the worst street fighters in the franchise.

Calling the FGC a non-factor is kind of inaccurate considering NRS and Namco still want their games in the big tournaments. Direct sales, maybe, the community isn't that big of a chunk in sales but without the community these games would have a fraction of their current visibility.

As far as the ease of play argument goes, I've always found that just to be a parroted perception more than anything. Injustice was essentially Street Fighter with Mortal Kombat physics and I wouldn't at all say that the game is simpler than SF5.

Shadoken

Also people keep underestimating the profitability of a long lasting community. If the FGC wasnt important you wouldnt see NRS and Namco dumping money to get their games big in tourneys. People who are invested in the game are likely to spend a lot on DLC and merchandise. Its a lot more profitability per person than someone buying a game for $20 on a sale and just playing it for a few hours.

Injustice 2 easily. Marvel might be bigger than DC by a bit, but NRS fighters are bigger sellers than Capcom fighters by a ton.
The fuk kinda hyperbole is this? One stinky SFV release and suddenly NRS sells a "Ton" more? MK9,SFIV,IJ1,MVC3 were all very comparable and more or less within the same ballpark. MvC3 being harder to judge since UMvC3 came out literally months later. That said they both did 2.2m and 1.2m respectively.

That said I expect IJ2 to sell more than MvC I (IF MvC launches with no big issues like SFV) , but maybe 1-1.5m copies more at best. "A TON" more is what I would describe the Smash games since they are in the 8-10m range.

Nether Realm Studios games resonate much more with a general audience. The ease of picking it up and playing it, the single player content, the high production values are unrivaled.
MvCI has none of that, although I'm sure it will appeal to the Evo crowd to a far bigger degree.

Outside of Smash Brothers, there isn't a fighting series that can sell as much as Mortal Kombat or Injustice.

Tekken 6 - 3.9m
SFIV - 3.5m
SSFIV ( Only including standalone AE,Ultra and not DLC) - 5m+

I dont think its the franchise that holds back other series. Its the fact that they dont have that WB games Sugar daddy like NRS does.

Neonep

Outside the cinematic and some parts of the Marvel TV universe, Marvel's name doesn't hold as much clout like DC does except for some characters (Spider-Man, Wolverine, Deadpool and so on).

I can see Marvel taking this only if IJ2 is incredibly bad.
Wow, you have no idea what you are talking about. DC can't make or sell anything good that doesn't involve Batman.

I think Injustice easy due to how well NRS is cultivating the casual audience and can cater to their demands alongside the competitive crowd. They innovate with single player content (which Tekken does successfully too) already, but the new gear system is on a whole nother level. Taking mobile game sensibilities and injecting them to every play session will be so popular.

Also the much larger budget will help Injustice immensely

sephi22

The fuk kinda hyperbole is this? One stinky SFV release and suddenly NRS sells a "Ton" more? MK9,SFIV,IJ1,MVC3 were all very comparable and more or less within the same ballpark.
Are you saying SFV would've done close to 5million had it not been the way it was? Barring any sequels or rereleases, I consider 3 million as a cap for Capcoms fighting game releases nowadays (in a single year).

I feel like fighting games are not as popular as they were in the 09-11 era. I don't know any solid numbers to back this, but anecdotally looking at tournament or casual streams, KOF14 seems to have lesser exposure than 13, guilty gear is doing worse than Blazblue back then, sfv isnt everywhere like sf4 was. Competitively NRS will have it's loyalists but in public mindspace they get bigger by the release it seems.

5 mil is significantly more than 3mil. I don't expect injustice to do 5 million though. I expect Ij2 to do about 4 million and MVCI <2million

OsirisBlack

Banned
Dies it not gave 6 chars as DLC announced or is that just costumes?

Both games have Future dlc characters ij2 has the ultimate edition which gives you their dlc characters over the course of the year and MvCI had their season pass. Only ij2 has day 1 char dlc in Darkseid to my knowledge.

Lightbreaker

Neo Member
Worst in what way?

Copies sold.

Didn't SF3 sell way worse than SFV? People tend to exaggerate things.

I said "one of" not " the".

You realize that they're all MCU, right?

Also, beyond Batman & Superman, Marvel's running the show in the eyes of the average joe. That said, I still expect Injustice 2 to do better.

Are you sure? I know that both the tv and film line report to different people. If I'm wrong, I do apologize.

Calling the FGC a non-factor is kind of inaccurate considering NRS and Namco still want their games in the big tournaments. Direct sales, maybe, the community isn't that big of a chunk in sales but without the community these games would have a fraction of their current visibility.

Wanting your game to be a part of something is all good and nice, but that doesn't wipe away the fact that in sales, the FGC would be considered a non-factor.

Lightbreaker

Neo Member
Wow, you have no idea what you are talking about. DC can't make or sell anything good that doesn't involve Batman.

Yet, DC comics are outpacing Marvel's comics most of the time.

(I'm not saying your fact isn't correct, I'm saying that it isn't always the truth).

Injustice 2 will sell more but the community will fall off a cliff after a month or two.

MvC:I will sell less but the community will still be going strong 5+ years later.

Yet, DC comics are outpacing Marvel's comics most of the time.

The top 8 DC comics last month were all either Batman directly (Batman, Detective Comics, All-Star Batman, Dark Knight) or including Batman (Justice League).

Whereas Marvel's top 8 include... Spider-Man, Iron Fist, Star Wars, X-Men, Inhumans, and Deadpool.

Sure, on average, DC outpaces Marvel; but it's also pretty clear that they lean heavily - almost exclusively - on Batman in the top 10.

Shadoken

Are you saying SFV would've done close to 5million had it not been the way it was? Barring any sequels or rereleases, I consider 3 million as a cap for Capcoms fighting game releases nowadays (in a single year).

5 mil is significantly more than 3mil. I don't expect injustice to do 5 million though. I expect Ij2 to do about 4 million and MVCI <2million

No I would have expected SFV to do maybe 3.5m had it launched with way more content like MKX and no launch issues and also on all 3 platforms. Even Capcom expected it to sell 2m within the first 2 months. But given the state it was in , that was impossible.
1-1.5m more sales is not "A TON" more. People here are acting like NRS games are in Smash territory.

That said Capcom expects MvCI to do 2M in 2 months. So Idk what makes them believe that , maybe a lot more content at E3? or Maybe Marvel going big on marketing.

Neonep

Injustice 2 will sell more but the community will fall off a cliff after a month or two.

MvC:I will sell less but the community will still be going strong 5+ years later.
This... Guarantee people will be playing MVC:I 2 years from now, can't say the same about Injustice 2.

Tyaren

And injustice 2 hasn't gotten criticism over the supremely ugly models...??

Injustice 2: Horriblly designed next gen HD models.

You might want to take a look at those horrible and supremely ugly Injustice 2 character models again.

tumblr_oc3558hkg61txj8weo2_500.gif

6LSZhVd.gif

tumblr_op1lbp7n0o1qiodg3o4_400.gif

tumblr_olj0wi68K11usrgjso2_540.gif

Neoxon

Are you sure? I know that both the tv and film line report to different people. If I'm wrong, I do apologize.
The split didn't occur until recently, so the TV shows are still tied to the MCU (with SHIELD having the strongest ties). Hell, Feige even worked on Agent Carter (on ABC).

This, basically. Though I'd give Injustice 2 about 1.5-2 years rather than 1-2 months thanks to NRS improving their support of the FGC.

Fraeon

Wanting your game to be a part of something is all good and nice, but that doesn't wipe away the fact that in sales, the FGC would be considered a non-factor.

Why do NRS, Capcom and Namco want their games to be played at FGC events if the community is a non-factor? NRS could easily just not bother supporting their game and start work on their next title for instance like they did before SF4's release. There obviously is some (monetary) value to cultivating a community, otherwise you wouldn't see people bothering.

Shadoken

You might want to take a look at those horrible and supremely ugly Injustice 2 character models again.

tumblr_op1lbp7n0o1qiodgf

tumblr_olj0wi68K11usrgjso2_540.gif

I dont get how the cutscenes and super moves are so well animated. Yet in game animations ( Like Blocking,hitstun and general movement ) feel soo stiff and rigid.

I disagree, sure Chun looks weird, but she still looks better than 90% the entire NRS cast of women.

I think the games are standing like this right now:

MVCI: Stylized low spec models.
Injustice 2: Horriblly designed next gen HD models.

Injustice 2s character models are incredible. Male and female. This isn't MK9 / Injustice 1

I have no idea why this thread is still continuing since Capcom said they expect to sell 2 mil in the initial period

Even they're being more realistic with it

Lightbreaker

Neo Member
Why do NRS, Capcom and Namco want their games to be played at FGC events if the community is a non-factor? NRS could easily just not bother supporting their game and start work on their next title for instance like they did before SF4's release. There obviously is some (monetary) value to cultivating a community, otherwise you wouldn't see people bothering.

I'm not saying that there isn't any value investing the FGC, all I'm saying is that I would be surprised if NRS didn't consider them as an afterthought.

Most of these games are going to make most of their sales in the first or second month, it would make sense if that was NRS's priority first.

The Joker trailer passed the million mark in less than a day. The Darkseid trailer is getting there.

Edit: Correction, Darkseid is at 1.1 million and Joker has hit 1.5 already.

Injustice will sell more but Marvel will be the one that is a 'better' figuring game and will likely be played for much longer.

vg260

I'm not sure if you mean hardcore competitive community or general online community. I think most would agree the Marvel competitive community will have the longest legs, but that's mostly irrelevant to getting larger sales numbers.

However, if we are talking about community life, Injustice 2 has the potential to have a longer life in terms of an online player base than past NR games because of the vastly improved netcode right out of the gate. That has always been a huge hindrance to their sustainability.

Even if MvC:I has a 5+ year community online, but it's all elite players way above most people's skill levels and you can't get an even matchup, it becomes moot.

Hopefully both games do well because they are good products and meet their sales projections because it only benefits the genre when that happens.

Harley's face is still bad, but Poison Ivy's looks good and I'm surprised they tweaked Aquaman's. IJ2 is a big improvement over IJ1 in graphics, and NRS animations are looking less stiff now. Just not so interested in the gameplay though, and I feel the supers or w/e you call them in IJ are too over the top and disjointing...
She looks much better in motion than in a still, but yeah true

Compbros

Advertisement. FGC tournaments happen nearly every weekend not to mention weeklies/monthlies, it's hundreds of thousands of eyeballs on your product showcased at the highest level possible.

Penguin

I'm intrigued why folks think outside interest or disinterest in the MCU/DCEU/TV will effect folks interest in buying these games

I mean, it's a diff beast but having huge brands like Star Wars and Marvel didn't help Disney Infinity and that seemed a lot more approachable for your average Joe.

There's also that RPG coming out this year.

I don't think you'll be hurting to find Marvel content in gaming so not only avenue.

I do think game will sell well but don't think success or negativity around either universe will move the needle a ton.

Neoxon

Advertisement. FGC tournaments happen nearly every weekend not to mention weeklies/monthlies, it's hundreds of thousands of eyeballs on your product showcased at the highest level possible.
In that case, NRS probably isn't happy that Injustice 2 won't get main Sunday stage exposure at EVO this year. Granted, the game will sell regardless, but it won't get as much competitive exposure as the Sunday games.

I'm intrigued why folks think outside interest or disinterest in the MCU/DCEU/TV will effect folks interest in buying these games

I mean, it's a diff beast but having huge brands like Star Wars and Marvel didn't help Disney Infinity and that seemed a lot more approachable for your average Joe.

There's also that RPG coming out this year.

I don't think you'll be hurting to find Marvel content in gaming so not only avenue.

I do think game will sell well but don't think success or negativity around either universe will move the needle a ton.
The Square Enix Avengers game won't be ready for this year.

mas8705

Part of me really wanted to say that MvC:I will outsell, but then I realized that "Outselling" and "Being more popular" are two different things.

Don't get me wrong, Marvel definitely has the "Legacy" thing going for them and most likely people will be more than happy to yell out, "WHEN MARVEL!?" when they get the chance. However, with what happened with SFV and how that was handled, it does feel like an edge does go to Injustice 2 for being a more feasible fighter for casual fighters would enjoy more than MvC:I.

Now... If we were going to ask which game will last longer, then I would have to put my money on Marvel. Not to say that Injustice 2 won't last long, but with how NetherRealm has handled fighting games, the moment the new fighting game comes out, that's basically it for the game. Chances are that come E3 2018, we'll get word on MK11 and then when it comes out 2019, Injustice 2 will have their ultimate edition and all focus will change back to the flagship series. Not that this is a bad thing, but considering the pattern of "MK" "DC" "MK" "DC" that we've seen, it seems most likely that will be the case.

Going to be fun to see how things will shape up too when we look at this towards the end of the year (although it could be unfair to compare the games if there is a four month gap in between these two games)

Compbros

In that case, NRS probably isn't happy that Injustice 2 won't get main Sunday stage exposure at EVO this year. Granted, the game will sell regardless, but it won't get as much competitive exposure as the Sunday games.

The Squate Enix Avengers game won't be ready for this year.

Which is odd considering the new NRS game us always in the top 4 entrants

Penguin

The Squate Enix Avengers game won't be ready for this year.

I meant Omega Heroes, but guess closer to a dungeon crawler

Q8D3vil

maybe scheduling seeing how both smash games always have huge number of entrees.

Im expecting IN2 to have strong legs at least in competitive online thanks to their new godly netcode.

Compbros

maybe scheduling seeing how both smash games always have huge number of entrees.

Im expecting IN2 to have strong legs at least in competitive online thanks to their new godly netcode.

They usually only put one smash game on Sunday (Smash wiiu this year) so I don't see why. The Sunday games are SFV, Blazblue, Smash wiiU, Tekken 7, and the game that got in through fan voting.

Neoxon

The last EVO entrant update we had had these games in the Top 4.
  1. Street Fighter V
  2. Smash 4
  3. Melee
  4. Tekken 7

They usually only put one smash game on Sunday (Smash wiiu this year) so I don't see why. The Sunday games are SFV, Blazblue, Smash wiiU, Tekken 7, and the game that got in through fan voting.
That fan game is UMvC3.

JeTmAn81

lol what

mvc3 will never be the melee of this series, it already has one of those in mvc2

Nobody plays MVC2 anymore. MVC3 definitely could be the Melee of the series, MVCI is different enough that people will keep playing the last one as well.

Injustice 2 wont get my purchase. Hated the first game and this one seems no different. MvC on the other hand was probably the most anticipated game of my life so I want to believe it will sell more.

Compbros

I don't know why community/tournament numbers are being spoken about in a thread about sales numbers. Regardless, most tournament fighters fall off a cliff within the first 6 months as "casual" players move on or back to their game and stop playing the new fighter. Only a few games see actual growth year 2 vs. year 1. Even SFV had a massive drop off, look at Final Round 19 (1021 entrants) last year vs. Final Round 20 (468 entrants) this year. You hear it a ton about NRS games but it's just how it usually goes.

sephi22

Sorry for the bump but this thread looks funny now that Injustice 2 is out and MVC:I's roster is leaked.

Anyone want to make any corrections? I doubt MVCI will clear 1.5million.

Isn't the roster in MvC:I the same size as Injustice 2? I'm sure both rosters will get a lot bigger via DLC/season passes. I don't think the general public is going to care too much that niche Capcom characters like Okami and Viewtiful Joe aren't there.

Top Bottom