• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice |OT| Khura'in, not Kurain

imBask

Banned
who cares about reviews? it's not a normal game, it's story-based for the most part. Reviews are particularly subjective and meaningless for the Ace Attorney franchise

Still can't believe there's no physical copy for the West. And yet, no signs of a digital release of the Great Ace Attorney.

Regardless, looking forward to this but first I haven't played Dual Destinies so gotta tackle that.

I can't believe it's been almost three years since Dual Destinies dropped
and I only just beat the DLC case.

Come on e-shop, just one more hour

Galafar

Neo Member
who cares about reviews? it's not a normal game, it's story-based for the most part. Reviews are particularly subjective and meaningless for the Ace Attorney franchise

I completely agree. Of course we know what to expect!

And to answer your other question it tends to usually update 7-9am PST so it's going to be a little while.

Kinsei

Banned

The AA series has been a pale shadow of it's former glory since T&T. It's nice to know what to expect quality wise before going in and that means reading reviews.

Lusankya

The AA series has been a pale shadow of it's former glory since T&T. It's nice to know what to expect quality wise before going in and that means reading reviews.

It's not a pale shadow when the second best game in the series was released 7 years later than T&T.

Gestahl

I don't think any game in the series since the original trilogy has had something so obviously outright contradictory and wrong (outright stupid still goes to Machi) as breaking Luke Atmey's psyche lock over the secret that he is literally making up and lying about

Sagely

So excited for this! Loved AA5, it's my second favourite in the series after T&T (and pretty much on par with the first game in my opinion). Looking forward to some dramatic shenanigans, crazy twists and awesome music tracks.

Man I love this series...it feels good to be so excited for a new release. This summer has been excellent for 3DS games between Zero Time Dilemma, AA6 and SMT4A coming soon.

MrBadger

I don't think any game in the series since the original trilogy has had something so obviously outright contradictory and wrong (outright stupid still goes to Machi) as breaking Luke Atmey's psyche lock over the secret that he is literally making up and lying about

Psyche Locks really have a funny way of working. In Dual Destinies, (huge spoilers)
you break Fulbright's psyche locks to get him to tell you about the Phantom that's haunting Blackquill. A phantom he just so happens to be, but doesn't mention.

Best to just think of them as a gameplay mechanic rather than a story mechanic. The anime leaves them out for this reason.

Swamped

Banned
Can't wait for this! Long time fan here so looking forward to the return of favorite characters. I don't even care if the game sucks, I'm just playing for the fanservice. The demo was fun too! But short lol.

MrBadger

Noice, downloading now! As naff as it is that it's digital only, it's nice that the launch price is lower as a result

Lol, 2 is fucking shit except for the final case and T&T, while the best in the series, is super overrated.

I like Apollo Justice more than 1 too.

There hasn't been a drop in quality since Takumi left. I'd agree that the post takumi games are different, "but pale shadow of it's former glory"....please...

Kinsei

Banned
Lol, 2 is fucking shit except for the final case and T&T, while the best in the series, is super overrated.

I like Apollo Justice more than 1 too.

There hasn't been a drop in quality since Takumi left. I'd agree that the post takumi games are different, "but pale shadow of it's former glory"....please...

2 has a great second case too. Turnabout Big Top is pretty bad but at least it's better than shit like Recipe for Turnabout and Turnabout Serenade.

Apollo Justice is awful outside of it's first case. The fourth case is entertaining but that' only because of how bad it is.

Dual Destinies is a step up from AJ quality wise but it's just so boring.

Dad

Anyone know the file size? My memory is nearly full

EDIT: Nevermind, saw it posted earlier in the thread

Gestahl

3-3 is probably the worst part of T&T. None of it really gels together very well. One second you're in a french restaurant, the next you're in tron world, and then mafia/yakuza lol gets crammed into the last day and suffocates the case even further. There's not even any good payoff on that end since Viola barely has any presence in the case and I don't think even shows up in court, and Tigre's tough guy sleazeball act flops like a dead fish once you get into the courtroom.

zethren

Banned
Woah! Had no idea this was coming out today. I'll be a passenger in a long road trip this weekend, so I'll probably give this a download.

I really don't know if I'll be finding time for this much with Cold Steel II out, but I'm definitely going to at least download it today.

Hopefully I can at least fit the first case in.

aravuus

Lol I had no idea this was happening today.

I have tons and tons of other games to play and I need to refresh my memory on whatever happened in the series before anyway, so I'll wait a bit before buying this one. Curious to see some impressions, too.

jtm33

Neo Member
A bit of a unique problem but I just tried to buy it using my Australian cards on a 3DS with a Ireland NNID and it failed. It looks like Australian cards may no longer work... which is funny because I've been using it on the Ireland Eshop since launch. My last purchase was several months ago, which worked fine.

I'm stuck with this NNID on this 3DS now too... which means that I need to buy this game using eshop codes bought online and this game will now cost $50. Ugh.

Well the game probably costs around $50 on the Australian Eshop so I should not complain too much.

XaosWolf

Theres some... inconsistent writing going on right now. Nothing story related mind, just weird.

Maybe its just Ace Attorney being Ace Attorney though.

How is the difficulty? AA5 pretty much handed you the answer on a platter, and I didn't like that.

You guys are killing me. First I hear Ema is back and now I find out the game is difficult again. I have three exams in the next few days :(

I think the game is still about as easy as AA5 was, the main difference is that now you don't have two / three people reminding you what to do again before the question. I never felt stuck or even struggled outside of the Seance testimonies (because they can get very obtuse about what they want you to do) and a
not-sliding puzzle
in Case 5. But that one was more a result of yet another kanji-filled note with sloppy hand-writing that Yamazaki seems to have a strange fascination with. Should be easier in English.

Psyche Locks really have a funny way of working. In Dual Destinies, (huge spoilers)
you break Fulbright's psyche locks to get him to tell you about the Phantom that's haunting Blackquill. A phantom he just so happens to be, but doesn't mention.

Best to just think of them as a gameplay mechanic rather than a story mechanic. The anime leaves them out for this reason.

Psyche Locks are not lie detectors. They only represent how intensely someone does not want to share a piece of information. The locks appeared with your examples because those people wanted to save their stories for the trials where they would have more impact to their goals. If you notice throughout the series when locks appear, the person tries to change the subject or clams up rather than lie.

Top Bottom