• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway |OT| Super Iota 64

Flunkie

Banned
You're wise to set your expectations low (generally speaking) but you've nothing to fear with Tearaway. The controls are easily on-par with any other quality 3D-platformer I've ever played, and they bear absolutely no similarities to how Sackboy controlled in the LBP games. Could easily be from a totally different dev in that respect.

You sold me. That was my #1 fear with the game, as I absolutely hate the floaty feel of LBP's controls.

nampad

4 hours in and I really love this game. The artstyle and music is superb and the presentation constantly puts a big smile on my face.

I don't like that the camera is locked so often. While the camera work is well done, I just hate it when a game takes the controls away from you. Yes, you can keep your angles for presentation readons but please still let me turn the camera when I want to.
While the first levels ran pretty smooth there are some framedrops in the later ones.

I also accidentally skipped some dialogues because I wanted to clean my screen from fingerprints. They should have made skipping button only.

oggob

Can you have multiple saves? I want to do a scientific test on my gf (who doesn't play video games) and just place the Vita in her hands with the game loaded and just walk away. Either that Vita will go flying across the apartment or I may never be able to part her hands from it. But I want to have my own save and her own save it if comes to that. Is that a possibility?

Multiple Saves are possible

Firehead

Seems like anywhere from 5-10 hours the first playthrough. People have been saying about 20 hours to 100%

Hrm... 20 hours isn't bad. Still... $40. blah, I suppose I'll keep it. I've been following the game since it was first shown. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

oggob

What is square used for? Will I be able to play this without a working square button? I hope the controls can be customized.

I can't find any custom button options... you are out of luck though, the Square button is used to talk to people (main conversation are auto though) and exit out of conversations, but in gameplay it is used to pick up and throw items and that is one of the main ways to kill enemies.

Skyzard

Banned
What is square used for? Will I be able to play this without a working square button? I hope the controls can be customized.

No control customization from what I can see I'm afraid.

iSGj5Age5u8Zv.jpg

Grisby

When the music kicks up to 11 on Gibbet Hill. Oh my.

Platforming has been cake so far but I'm enjoying the more wide open areas and folding mechanics. Really cool how all of the paper craft stuff fits in.

No control customization from what I can see I'm afraid.

I can't find any custom button options... you are out of luck though, the Square button is used to talk to people (main conversation are auto though) and exit out of conversations, but in gameplay it is used to pick up and throw items and that is one of the main ways to kill enemies.

God fucking damn it. guess I need to get this thing repaired. Thanks for the help

It really sounds like the game resonates well with some people.

The platforming - are any of the challenges unique or compelling? Do they ever begin to offer a suitable challenge? The level design itself, does it have new ideas?

Theres some neat little puzzles involving the touchscreen aspects, but ultimately so far this game doesn't seem to be gearing itself to be challenging. The platforming has little bits of challenge and encourages exploring, but for the most part the games mostly concerned with getting the player to get stuck in with design and enjoying the game world.

It's like Drawn to Life meets Mario Galaxy. The game gives you a number of little "design this for me!" projects during your travels. Though instead of pixels, your now trying to cut digital paper with fingers. Taking photos of certain things unlocks Papercraft projects that you can print out and make from the game's online user portal too.

It's never too often (like it tended to be in Drawn to Life sometimes) - but it's cool because the game saves it and incorporates it into other things as you play. You can also mess with your messengers design at will with a number of pre-designed features to unlock.

Essentally if your a gamer looking for the next tough adventure, this isn't your bag. If you are creative and love a bit of whimsy, Tearaway is pretty much the perfect game for you.

Amir0x

Banned
Theres some neat little puzzles involving the touchscreen aspects, but ultimately so far this game doesn't seem to be gearing itself to be challenging. The platforming has little bits of challenge and encourages exploring, but for the most part the games mostly concerned with getting the player to get stuck in with design and enjoying the game world.

It's like Drawn to Life meets Mario Galaxy. The game gives you a number of little "design this for me!" projects during your travels. Though instead of pixels, your now trying to cut digital paper with fingers. Taking photos of certain things unlocks Papercraft projects that you can print out and make from the game's online user portal too.

It's never too often (like it tended to be in Drawn to Life sometimes) - but it's cool because the game saves it and incorporates it into other things as you play. You can also mess with your messengers design at will with a number of pre-designed features to unlock.

Essentally if your a gamer looking for the next tough adventure, this isn't your bag. If you are creative and love a bit of whimsy, Tearaway is pretty much the perfect game for you.

Interesting. Well, my fiancee seems like she will still dig it then, so I'll support it for that purpose.

GulAtiCa

Picked up my copy at Gamestop. Apparently the store only got one copy in, for my pre-order. Oh SCEA... Guess shouldn't be surprised. :/

nowai

Picked up my copy at Gamestop. Apparently the store only got one copy in, for my pre-order. Oh SCEA... Guess shouldn't be surprised. :/

I just can't...

The lack of marketing and knowledge about this title is staggering. I'm sticking with my Vita day one purchases and wait for Steam sales on everything else.

Skyzard

Banned
I was really hoping to hear impressions of all the US people playing it as well. Tomorrow I hope! Guys... Guys :) Guys >:) Guys >:0)~

Ughh that's really upsetting, but not surprising. I heard that the Target near my house was sold out though. Not sure how many they got but they usually have a good supply with their games.

Servbot24

Banned
It's bizarre how little Sony seems to care about this game. Premiere studio, great reviews, beautiful looking game. Why would they not let people know it exists? Or allow them to buy it on time?

Danneee

Had it automagically download overnight and played a bit this morning. Very pretty and feels just like the old 32 bit era exploration platformers. Nice little challenges and generally just a cozy atmosphere.

Waiting to pick up my preorder tomorrow :)
So excited!
By the way a friend of mine bought this on PSN for $25 at the UAE store!!! He's getting the preorder bonuses, that's the special delivery package I guess!

Anilusion

I can't download my preorder...

"Could not download.
The payment process for the pre-order is not complete. Please try again later.

If your wallet does not have enough funds, add funds to your wallet.
(NP-14246-7)"

I had forgotten to add money to my wallet yesterday, now there is enough in there to cover the costs but I'm still getting the same error. Anybody got any idea what to do?

Top Bottom