• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Culdcept Saga Screens: Card nerds, set mouths to froth!

hyp

No6 said:
Going on what's been said, Culdcept is more of a board game with a card mechanic than a card game on a board. Ideally they'll release a one-level demo or a tutorial level demo.

sounds good, i like board games. i think this "supporting the cause" proposition sounds even better.

Teasel

seems some people still don't know how culdcept works so i'm going to explain it (well at least the ps2 version but i don't think they have made any big change) basicaly it works exactly like monopoly but with a few difference
- all the terrain have the same price
- they also have an elemental attribute
- the board can have various shape but you always have to reach certain checkpoint then return to the starting point
- when you land on a terrain you don't buy the terrain,instead you place a monster in that terrain,stronger monster cost you more money
- if you place a monster of the same element of the terrain he get an HP boost,note that some monster can't be placed on certain element (ex. no wall of ice in a fire terrain)
- everytime you pass in a space you own you can pay to improve that space when you do that opponent have to pay more and the HP elemental boost get bigger
- now when someone lands on a place owned by someone else he can do two things,pay up or summon another monster to attack the one that is placed on the terrain
- if a battle occur the attacking monster act first and then the monster placed on the terrain unless the cards rule say differently
- before the fight start you can play equipment card to boost the attack or hp of your monster
- if the attack of your monster exceed the hp of the monster on the field (or if the monster on the field get killed for some other reason,for example there is an equipment that instantly kill wall monster) you end up as the new owner of the terrain else you have to pay up and assuming your monster get killed you lose it else it return to your hand unharmed,damage stay on the monster on the field but only the damage that exceed the HP elemental boost and equipment (for example a monster has 40 HP +20 of Elemental Boost + 20 Equipment,if your monster has 50 attack, 50 - 40 = 10 the monster on the field now has 30 HP)
- also before throwing the dice you can play spell cards to affect various things in the game,certain card fix the dice to a certain number,other heal the monster around,most affect the terrain in some way (elemental switching or you don't have to pay when you end in an opponent terrain)
- the player that reach the fixed amount of money and touch the starting point wins (or if all the other player get in the red if the sudden death rule is enabled)
- and that's about it

Ponn

Banned
YAY! This will my biggest time sink over the late summer/fall months. I'm going to own all your asses in the neogaf tourney. Go Go Corn Folk!!

Thoren

Banned
I'm really finding myself looking forward to these quirky Japanese games. This and Project Sylpheed will be my guilty pleasures this year. :)

Phthisis

Thoren said:
This and Project Sylpheed will be my guilty pleasures this year. :)

Not to derail the thread, but I've played the Sylpheed demo many time since I downloaded it and it's really grown on me. I really like the game a lot now.

Also, now that I know how Culdcept works (thanks Teasel), I am definitely getting this game.

Thoren

Banned
Phthisis said:
Not to derail the thread, but I've played the Sylpheed demo many time since I downloaded it and it's really grown on me. I really like the game a lot now.

Also, now that I know how Culdcept works (thanks Teasel), I am definitely getting this game.

Well the odd Japanese games apply to a niche group of gamers, and there's a reason for it. Alot of people are just intimidated by what they don't know. It's like how so many people ragged on Godhand without giving it a chance and learning the game. Culdcept Saga may have a chance of being a sleeper hit if its really good and the word of mouth is strong.

Thoren said:
Well the odd Japanese games apply to a niche group of gamers, and there's a reason for it. Alot of people are just intimidated by what they don't know. It's like how so many people ragged on Godhand without giving it a chance and learning the game. Culdcept Saga may have a chance of being a sleeper hit if its really good and the word of mouth is strong.

Word of mouth is essential if we want to have a GAF Culdcept Saga tourney.

I'm really having a hard time resisting the urge to buy a 360 just to play this game. I don't even have an HD tv yet. Any chance this will come out for PS3? Otherwise hurry up and release some reliable hardware Microsoft! Culdcept was one of my favorite PS2 games; especially multiplayer. I play board/card games with my gf all the time. Those cards look great.

shaowebb

Alright, here are 5 more cards folks! These are from green.

Squirrine(new!)
squirrineoh1.jpg

Blynx(Old card. New art!)
blynxvy7.jpg

Spudfolk(new!)
spudfolkbz1.jpg

Dragon Zombie (Old card. New art!)
dragonzombieqs0.jpg

Vampire (Old card...wait. What the ****? How'd you get in here again?!)
newvampiredym5.jpg

shaowebb

Made that post above this one WAY too early for anyone to know about so forgive me for appearing to double post. Anyways, here is some Red Cards!

Gladiator (Old card, yet needs shown anyways)
gladiatorcx1.jpg

Domovikha (Old card. New art!)
domovikhafn0.jpg

Domovoi (Old card. New art!)
domovoiya3.jpg

Volcanic Dragon (New card!)
volcanicdragonle3.jpg

Death Scythe (This card was called "Executer" in the prior title but the new art is so beautiful it earns a pass on pointlessly renaming itself.)
deathscytheui9.jpg

Ponn

Banned
shaowebb said:
Alright, here are 5 more cards folks! These are from green.
Spudfolk(new!)
spudfolkbz1.jpg

That is so awesome! Oh god I hope they are making a bunch of vegetable creatures so I can create the ultimate Veggie Deck. Cornfolk, Spudfolk lets hope for Carrotfolk, Radishfolk, Onionfolk, etc.

ivysaur12

Banned
I haven't played the first, but I really want to get this.

Don't laugh at me, because I don't know better, but did the first have some story that is going to confuse me if I pick up the sequel?

shaowebb

The story in the last 2 didnt really matter so dont worry about it and yes this is the game that plays like monopoly.
That is if in monopoly you were allowed to kick someone's ass and take there hotels using Magic the Gathering style creatures, weapons, and tactics.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
TekunoRobby said:
So is this that game that Shane says is like Monopoly?

In the same sense that the best looking game on the 360(Eternal Sonata) looks like a Dreamcast game to him.

So yes, its that game, but no, he's ****ing wrong.

shaowebb

Time for the next color folks! Here comes some blue cards.

Medusa (Old card. Great art.)
medusalm7.jpg

Yeti (...Umaro?)
yetiis0.jpg

Aquahorn (new!)
aquahornii9.jpg

Kelpie (Old card. New art! Remember this card. Level blue land to 5. Exchange card on land for kelpie. Pack armor and watch the wins occur rapidly.)
kelpiept6.jpg

Fate (Old card. New art!)
fatehr7.jpg

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Teasel said:
didn't i explain the rules just 15 post ago?
It was a joke.

QVT said:
In the same sense that the best looking game on the 360(Eternal Sonata) looks like a Dreamcast game to him.

So yes, its that game, but no, he's ****ing wrong.
See, he gets it.

The card artwork is awesome, I'll rent it alone just to see that in HD.

shaowebb

Bonus Blue by request!

UNDINE(Old card. Great art! Plus its full of awesome. Its ability is its HP will equal the number of BLUE LANDS owned by 20! Plus it neutralizes attacks from blue cards.)
undinetx0.jpg

BONUS BONUS!

Liquid Form (Totally new mysterious spell card!)
liquidformyl6.jpg

shaowebb

But wait! THERES MORE!
I now introduce you to the all new MULTI-COLORED CARDS of Culdcept! These seem to be listed as "Purple" Cards in the generator. Expect a lot more "Magma" and "Storm" themed cards throughout this game including weapons and armor.

Gogma (new!)
gogmasv0.jpg

Flammefleur (new!)
flammefleurue8.jpg

Jack-O-Lantern (new!)
jackolanternkl6.jpg

Magma Avatar (new!)
magmaavatarln1.jpg

Storm Avatar (new!)
stormavatarmm8.jpg

It's apparent that I'm going to suck at this game like I did on the PS2 version, but at least it'll be nice collecting all of the cards.

This game can't get here soon enough. It's one of the games I'm most looking forward to this year. Culdcept is awesome.

I'll miss Goligan, it doesn't sound like he's in this one.

6b38t4o.jpg

the art on the cards is too great. im blown away. maybe i should buy the ps2 version, cause ive been holding it at my work(blockbuster) for forever.

shaowebb

Strategies are indeed in abundance on the internet but keep in mind there will never be one ultimate strategy that works on everyone character or person.
I have a tendency to use money decks based heavily on cards that help me lap to hit all the goals to rack up cash and then pack a bunch more spell cards that steal money from my opponents.
I then have a rotating group of creatures I use depending on whether I want to have a lot of high level land with uber HP or whether I think Id rather invest in cards to steal other people's land with. Depending on which I decide to have determines whether I then fill my deck with tons of armor or tons of weapons.

And this STILL does not work perfectly on every opponent Ive faced because sometimes I get hit with holy words that prevent movement ,run into a quicksanded land or worst of all get teleported back away from the goals.

After awhile youll start developing personalized strategies that work for you that help to take out certain kinds of opponents or decks. Dont worry because its all just a matter of gaining cards that work for you and even if you lose...you win cards.

Any how blah blah blah I could talk strategy all day on this game. HERE IS MORE CARDS!
Armors!

Gaseous Form (Old card. New art! Yes, it IS technically an item but it neutralizes all attacks but spells. Its nearly a perfect defense.)
gaseouesformts9.jpg

Magma Counter (new!)
magmacountervi1.jpg

Storm Counter (new!)
stormcountermo2.jpg

Force Bracelet (new!)
forcebraceletut2.jpg

Water Shield (Old card. New art!)
watershieldmj2.jpg

Ponn

Banned
shaowebb said:
Bonus Blue by request!

UNDINE(Old card. Great art! Plus its full of awesome. Its ability is its HP will equal the number of BLUE LANDS owned by 20! Plus it neutralizes attacks from blue cards.)
undinetx0.jpg

Yippee! Undine and Pirate rule.

shaowebb

Time for a little bit more cards since its been a whole day. I think this time I'll do a post of nothing but brand new cards.

Spell cards!

Fat Body (New!)
fatbodyxo6.jpg

Bulimia (New!)
bulimiayw4.jpg

Burning Hail (New!)
burninghailuf6.jpg

Hunter's Song (New!)
hunterssongsp7.jpg

Paralyzer (New!)
paralyzerkp6.jpg

shaowebb

Damn. If they are releasing another Culdcept expansion disc in Japan or have one in development for the title it would explain this. Our Culdcept is there Culdcept 2 w/ expansion cards.
I'll have to look into this though with my connections. For this long of a delay (with an original release date of February of this year )it had better be for extras.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
this may be the game that gets me to buy a 360. culdcept was incredible. Had the worst engrish evar, but i actually found it refreshingly hilarious.

shaowebb

Jirotrom

guys...I'm addicted to the PS2 game of this...I heard there were bugs in the 360 version, Is that stuff getting fixed? Whats the news on the US version, I want to battle people online!

Top Bottom