• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Offseason: We're Not a Football School Anyway

andycapps

So, Fox just gutted its CFB coverage, including a podcast I quite like, The Audible.

Sad day.

After the ESPN layoffs and now this, the Patreon/sub model needs to come to the sports journalism industry ASAP. The Audible is one of the few podcasts I listen to reliably, and I'd gladly throw a few bucks at them. Always have great coverage and Stewart/Bruce are some of the best CFB writers out there.

Yeah I saw that and did enjoy the Audible a lot as well. I think the Patreon model is going to eventually come but I feel like people getting laid off are going to try to exhaust conventional avenues. They're not quite where games press are but it's getting there.

From what Godfrey was saying on last week's Podcast Ain't Played Nobody, local beat writers aren't in much better shape. They're underpaid and overworked. Lot of the schools are involving beat writers less and less as they have their own media departments.

ryseing

Shutdown Fullcast
Solid Verbal

Boom

Those are the two others in my CFB rotation. They're both great but the Audible filled a different niche since it was well accomplished journalists discussing the sport- no offense to Dan, Ryan and the rest of the SB Nation crew.

andycapps

Those are the two others in my CFB rotation. They're both great but the Audible filled a different niche since it was well accomplished journalists discussing the sport- no offense to Dan, Ryan and the rest of the SB Nation crew.
I think they'd all admit that the only one doing actual journalism on those SB Nation podcasts is Steven Godfrey. Though I do listen to them for entertainment.

ag-my001

Godfrey does do good work, and I appreciate what Bill tries to do with advanced stats.

Shutdown Fullcast pointed out how some lawyer podcast talked about the Stoops retirement sooner than they did. But I do consider them essential listening/reading for the casually-serious college football fan.

Solid Verbal is hit or miss. I tend to get easily annoyed with their game picking shtick, but their off-season stuff is generally better.

The other podcast I'll listen to is the Bullcast from GoodBullHunting (A&M SBNation site), mainly because they rag on TexAgs and other A&M oddities a bunch.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Ar56hLr.gif

One day I'm going to make a youtube video that just says "Alexa! Play Rockytop by the Osbourne brothers!" and then i'll post it here in disguise. I'll also make a Okay Google version for those without the Echo. Technology warfare baby.

And Hopefully your headphones aren't plugged when you click it

Rocketz

For any uniform people out there, Toledo signed a 6 year deal with Nike for all their uniforms school wide. Football was previously Under Armour and the new designs are starting to come out. Best I have at the moment.

They kept the 2 tone helmet which I don't really like at all along with moving the "Toledo" font from the chest to the leg. They also reduced the size of the shoulder straps. Not a lot of yellow either. Hopefully we get a combination like this in the future though.

ag-my001

What song do we suspect ESPN will deluge us with this year? Please tell me the Chainsmokers don't have anything that would work.

LionPride

Banned
What song do we suspect ESPN will deluge us with this year? Please tell me the Chainsmokers don't have anything that would work.
Shit let's see...

It's gonna be a Zedd song that I like that they're gonna make me hate

Or go the NBA route and use rap, not K.Dot per se, but someone. Maybe Gucci

Or a pop song I like that they'll make me hate

Or maybe Way Down We Go by Kaleo

Top Bottom