• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 4 remaster launches in NA/EU Nov 28 (same as JP), $20.99

Cornbread78

Nice. I'll add it to my endless backlog of stuff I don't have time to play.

With that being said. Can I get my SO2 for Vita now? I know you have it, just drop it digitally.. K, Thanks!

And bought.

and the variety of locations is unparalleled in the series. It's the only Star Ocean game where you actually go planet hopping, which is pretty cool.

Especially loved this about it. Was something I'd been wanting in an SO. The opening with getting a ship, taking off etc really nailed that feeling I'd been hoping a Star Ocean might go for.

SO5 was in my top 10 GOTY last year. Technically, it's pretty good (graphics and animation), and I like the characters.

The story is pretty straightforward with no grind required. And the side content is there if you want to do them.

Yeah, I liked it and the characters overall, the thing it's really just missing to me is just cutscenes for all the story scenes and interaction scenes instead of just the standing around to give the scenes more real presentation and immersion.

Well, good to see finally we can see battles with in hd, lol.

Btw, i'm still waitting for somethings like that from them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cuXgRVMvZ0
(i know this will never going to happen. :/)

Yeah.

Cornbread78

And bought.
Especially loved this about it. Was something I'd been wanting in an SO. The opening with getting a ship, taking off etc really nailed that feeling I'd been hoping a Star Ocean might go for.
Yeah, I liked it and the characters overall, the thing it's really just missing to me is just cutscenes for all the story scenes and interaction scenes instead of just the standing around to give the scenes more real presentation and immersion.

I have to agree. I really liked 5, but the lack of cutscenes did dampen the immersion for me. Yes, it was pretty short and they really missed the ball with the "grand adventures" that SO used to represent, but the game was still fun, the characters were good and the story wasnlt painful at all.

I like SO5 quite a bit, as a fan of Star Ocean 1. It came at a good time for me, when I was completely exhausted by open world games that are simply way too large. Playing a game with a smaller scope just felt really good. It reminded me very much of SO1, especially in terms of brevity of the script. It's not for everyone (or, apparently, anyone other than me; I've never actually seen anyone else really speak very highly of it), but I'm glad it was made.
I had never played a Star Ocean before and decided to give 5 a go. Its rough but I didn't hate it. Encounter design needed work bad, but using the melee girl and dunking on people was super fun.

Not sold on going back and playing 4 though

Cornbread78

I had never played a Star Ocean before and decided to give 5 a go. Its rough but I didn't hate it. Encounter design needed work bad, but using the melee girl and dunking on people was super fun.

Not sold on going back and playing 4 though

4's combat was pretty fun actually. The story was alright, characters, meh, but those cuts scenes were loooooong at times, lol. If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure thete was one that lasted for about 35 mins or so.

Oh and don't bother with the 700 hour+ platinum trophy, lol.

4's combat was pretty fun actually. The story was alright, characters, meh, but those cuts scenes were loooooong at times, lol. If I remember correctly, I'm pretty sure thete was one that lasted for about 35 mins or so.

Oh and don't bother with the 700 hour+ platinum trophy, lol.

Weren't some of the cutscenes unskippable too? I think when I replayed it years back, I would just go make food during the super long cutscenes.

antitrop

This is factually untrue. Except for the very first area of VP2 (which can be emulated fine if you just go for native resolution for the 30 seconds it takes to traverse the 2D level), the entirety of VP2 runs perfectly fine on PCSX2.

I also played through all of VP1 on a regular version of ePSXe just fine like 10 years ago. They're both good to emulate.

Kyougar

Always the hate about Lymle. :( You guys are just not man enough to see beyond the awkwardness of a special needs girl.

rulerk1

is it really 500hrs to plat. I was close to plat but i that over like 4 years of playing. Still gonna buy it. The game was a true space adventure kay

Cornbread78

is it really 500hrs to plat. I was close to plat but i that over like 4 years of playing. Still gonna buy it. The game was a true space adventure kay

laughter.gif

700-1,000 hrs.

Innolis

JP voices made the characters much more tolerable. I might buy this again, liked the first one but stopped playing after getting the cat-girl.

Top Bottom