• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Minsc

Gold Member
So despite the XBLA release date being listed as today here, on the marketplace itself... I guess all the buzz is that it is not going to be released today, and instead come out mid-april in the next batch? What time do releases normally come out on XBLA?

Shaneus

So despite the XBLA release date being listed as today here, on the marketplace itself... I guess all the buzz is that it is not going to be released today, and instead come out mid-april in the next batch? What time do releases normally come out on XBLA?
Could be a late release, because I doubt Major Nelson himself would give out misinformation. Hoping that's the case, anyway... meaning it might be a few hours off. Hopefully.

Minsc

Gold Member
Delay is official:

The Pinball Arcade: Microsoft has asked Crave (the XBLA publisher) to delay the release for a week to get better placement on the dashboard. We're sorry for the delay, but as of yesterday we were still hopeful to get review codes to give to the press and at least the option to release today. Even Microsoft seems to have expected the game to have been released this week. We will update again later today when the date is official.

Shaneus

Fucking hell. Maybe they could work on doing some actual promo stuff as well to get their name out there. ARGH.

Again, did they let people know anywhere else other than their FB page? Pretty average if not.

Wonko_C

Not looking good on the PS3/Vita side too:

The PS3 and Vita build were approved by Sony last week and we thought that April 10th was going to be locked in. However, we found a bug ourselves that would've made it impossible to ever update the game or add DLC. We're desperately working with Sony to find a solution that doesn't slip the date.

Minsc

Gold Member
Something's weird with Farsight, I dunno maybe it's always been this way?

They missed the 360 date, the PS3/Vita is sorta up in the air over a critical mistake, the iOS update that was said to have been submitted on the 14th, is now reported as being submitted this week for another 2 week wait, the Mac version which was sent to Apple a few weeks ago, well we haven't heard a peep about that, and the PC version is also up in the air. No info for the W8 other than this year...

Just really sloppy.

It has always been this way with them. Two Decembers ago they announced that the Gottlieb Collection would come to XBLA in February (2 months later). It never showed up. I understand that it was because it was rolled into The Pinball Arcade but it is still very strange to announce a release month and then never hear about the title again.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Well, bugs are also not unusual. The PS3 version of Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection has a nasty little jittery flipper bug that can be infuriating.

I'd love to see faithful recreations of some great pinball-tables but the way this release is being handled doesn't fill me with confidence.

Well, I'm hoping for the best. A good version of Theatre of Magic would be worth the price on its own.

Baron

Hearing about all the digital games being pulled from distribution lately makes me really hope that somewhere down the line Farsight releases a compilation of some sort of Pinball Arcade with all the released tables to date. The rights to some of these tables (Addams Family, etc.) must be a morass of legal tangles - I'd hate to see some table DLC being pulled after a couple of years as a result. A tangible disc with all of them would make me sleep better at night.

Shaneus

Well, bugs are also not unusual. The PS3 version of Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection has a nasty little jittery flipper bug that can be infuriating.
Damn, that was happening to me as well! Thought it was just the controller.

But I remember my frustration in waiting for a PAL version of the 360 WPC. Basically ended up buying a PS3 so I could import it. It was released LAST YEAR.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, I misunderstood a little on about the iOS updates earlier (thinking there was some communication problems on their facebook), I thought they were the same one, but an update just went live for iOS:

What's New in Version 1.0.9
Table Graphics Updated
Hdmi Audio Fix
Frame rate improvements
Leaderboard Improvements

And the future update for further improved graphics on the iPad 3 (and 4S?) as well as the two new tables should be in the coming week(s).

Edit: Quick impressions, Ripley's framerate seems much better, and the main table select UI now lets you swipe through multiple tables instead of one at a time, so that's much nicer :)

They missed the 360 date, the PS3/Vita is sorta up in the air over a critical mistake, the iOS update that was said to have been submitted on the 14th, is now reported as being submitted this week for another 2 week wait, the Mac version which was sent to Apple a few weeks ago, well we haven't heard a peep about that, and the PC version is also up in the air. No info for the W8 other than this year...

Just really sloppy.

The iOS update they submitted on the 14th was just approved today. The one being submitted this week will be the DLC update.

And regarding the Mac version they said they would be submitting "very soon", not that it was submitted. That was two weeks ago.

Edit: And I'm way too slow. Thanks for the impressions of the update!

Shaneus

Yeah, I misunderstood a little on about the iOS updates earlier (thinking there was some communication problems on their facebook), I thought they were the same one, but an update just went live for iOS:

And the future update for further improved graphics on the iPad 3 (and 4S?) as well as the two new tables should be in the coming week(s).

Edit: Quick impressions, Ripley's framerate seems much better, and the main table select UI now lets you swipe through multiple tables instead of one at a time, so that's much nicer :)
I'll be happy to verify if anything improves on the 4S front. Definitely looks like it should run better than it does, given the specs.

dyls

Holy shit at how crisp the tables look on the new iPad after the update. Fantastic. Unfortunately, I feel it's actually harder to see the ball now. I'm consistently getting worse scores than I was before the update.

But dat retina...

Minsc

Gold Member
The iOS update they submitted on the 14th was just approved today. The one being submitted this week will be the DLC update.

And regarding the Mac version they said they would be submitting "very soon", not that it was submitted. That was two weeks ago.

Edit: And I'm way too slow. Thanks for the impressions of the update!

Thanks for the corrections/info, yeah, I was just a bit bitter earlier! :p

I noticed the tables all have to re-download for the app updates? Does that mean when we're 20+ tables in, and they update for the month, all 20 tables need to re-download?

Edit: Actually that probably just has more to do with the "Table Graphics Updated" around the clock, shouldn't happen every update I hope.

dyls

Ok I'm finding it pretty much unplayable after the update. The fix they made to the framerate has sped up the ball to absurd speeds but there remains an annoying lag on the flippers. I'm tapping so early that there's no way to effectively aim shots.

I would advise that people not update until they've fixed this.

Remy

Holy shit at how crisp the tables look on the new iPad after the update. Fantastic. Unfortunately, I feel it's actually harder to see the ball now. I'm consistently getting worse scores than I was before the update.

Pretty much this. The tables are now gorgeous but the framerate for the ball feels like it's dropped and somehow the tables have gotten faster. I'm also getting the feeling of input lag on the flippers - I keep inadvertently juggling between them because the shots are happening a hair too late.

I had three balls drain on Theatre of Magic in record time.

I'm afraid to say it, but it feels unplayable now.

Minsc

Gold Member
Pretty much this. The tables are now gorgeous but the framerate for the ball feels like it's dropped and somehow the tables have gotten faster. I'm also getting the feeling of input lag on the flippers - I keep inadvertently juggling between them because the shots are happening a hair too late.

I think Theatre of Magic is the only table that feels different to me... Black Hole seems slow as ever, Ripley's felt fine. It looks a lot better now (iphone 4, so no AA), textures are very clear.

dkeane

Is there a trick for getting it to connect to facebook consistently? Only works once in a while for me. Really annoying.

Love how crisp it looks on the new iPad but I agree with others that it seems to be more difficult.

dyls

Farsight just posed this on FB:

An iOS update was just released. The new DLC (Medieval and Bride) will be coming in the next update which hopefully we'll be able to expedite through the approval process. Unfortunately, we submitted this current update to Apple before we even had a new iPad to test it on, so it has major issues. If you own a new iPad, we're very sorry that this occurred. We suggest not updating yet. It has already been fixed and hopefully it will be available next week.

Glad they addressed it immediately.

Shaneus

Sucks that we have to redownload the tables though. Be a bitch if I update before leaving for work, go to play and find I can't.

With the update, is it worth getting Ripley's at all? Have the other three but not really sure if it's worth me getting over my Stern-hate for.

I actually felt that too, wasn't sure if it was me or not. Only played ToM but immediately noticed that it not only felt smoother (from memory) but a heap faster. Unnaturally so, in fact. Haven't tried the other tables for comparison, though.

Shearie

I was experiencing some input lag with the flippers too when I first installed the update but then I soft reset my iPad 2 and iPhone 4S and the lag seems to have gone away. I'll test it some more but it seems to play pretty much the same as the old version again.

Edit: I only tested ToM and TotAN since those are the only tables I bought.

Shaneus

Yeah, the speed issue i had with ToM seems to have resolved itself and the only thing I can think of is that I did a hard reset of my 4S. Maybe it's worth others giving it a crack.

Minsc

Gold Member
Mac version is live (in the app store)!

"The Mac version has just gone live and is featured under "New and Noteworthy" in the app store! On OSx, we're currently using similar rendering tech as we do on the new iPad, but at 1080p. We'll be updating the lighting and graphics quality to that of the consoles in the upcoming months."

Some questionable comments about the lack of a configurable control scheme (so you're forced to using the mouse for certain things). Hopefully that's fixed as well.

And the lack of advanced lighting that will be found on the 360/PS3 is also disappointing, but at least they mention they will be updating that in the future.

racerx77

Banned
What's the latest word on the 3DS version, any updates? Thought i'd seen it was put on hold, is that just so they can work on getting the other versions out first? Hope it's not cancelled! =(

Shaneus

I've just realised I want them to implement a rumble feature for when you get a replay or if the game has a shaker in it. Feeling the phone vibrate when you get an extra credit would be awesome... especially considering there's no other real payoff for it.

TxdoHawk

Sob sob, had like 12 or 15 million on TOTAN, was gonna post it to Facebook to brag and the app claimed I reached the score limit. Happily bought the table for a dollar, it authorizes, goes back and...the game freaks out, I had to close the app. ;_; Not an overly impressive score in the grand scheme of things but I am really, really bad at pinball.

Shaneus

He's talking about TOTAN, being Tales of the Arabian Nights.

Man, I hope that by the time the XBLA version is released, they can simultaneously put up MM and BoPB. So hyped for those two.

TxdoHawk

He's talking about TOTAN, being Tales of the Arabian Nights.

Whoops, you're right. My brain seems to have a problem processing acronyms today...

And next time, buy all tables in bundle beforehand :p

Is there actually a way to do this on Android? The only time I see options to buy tables is when I hit a score limit, didn't see anything else in the app that allows purchases. But yeah, I'm just going to grab the XBLA release this week, figure I will pay full-price for those and grab the .99 cent tables of the month on my phone when they are available. Seems like a good way to double-dip without destroying my wallet in the process.

Minsc

Gold Member
There's a low quality video showing off the 360/PS3 high quality lighting modes from a few days ago, you can really see the difference in Ripley's & Black Hole... might be enough to get people to double dip to 360 or PS3 since it is exclusive to those systems for quite a while. I originally was just going to go iOS/PC, but now with the delay, maybe I'll follow the game on three systems, lol.

Shearie

There's a low quality video showing off the 360/PS3 high quality lighting modes from a few days ago, you can really see the difference in Ripley's & Black Hole... might be enough to get people to double dip to 360 or PS3 since it is exclusive to those systems for quite a while. I originally was just going to go iOS/PC, but now with the delay, maybe I'll follow the game on three systems, lol.

Are there going to be light and dark lighting toggles for the console versions? It would be cool if they added that option to the iOS version sometime just to switch things up every once in awhile. I still prefer the regular (light) lighting except for Black Hole which looks badass in the dark.

TxdoHawk

Really a shame about the PC version being delayed. Potentially the best version between support for rotating monitors, the better lighting engine, and an open market that doesn't require extensive certification to put out new tables or patches. Of course, when I hear stories about how sloppy the Mac version is at the moment...maybe a few more months in the oven wouldn't hurt.

Are there going to be light and dark lighting toggles for the console versions? It would be cool if they added that option to the iOS version sometime just to switch things up every once in awhile.

Pretty popular request at this point, seems simple to add, and the dev seems pretty receptive to feedback...so hopefully we'll see this implemented.

Shaneus

Has there been confirmation on their part of a delay? From when until when? Did they say why?

I'm getting a bit over all these delays. Having an iOS version is nice, but delays in releasing the other platforms makes me doubt how reliably they'll release additional tables (other than the ones we already know about).

Cardigan

Has there been confirmation on their part of a delay? From when until when? Did they say why?

I'm getting a bit over all these delays. Having an iOS version is nice, but delays in releasing the other platforms makes me doubt how reliably they'll release additional tables (other than the ones we already know about).

Farsight's handling of this game has been a complete joke. So many delays, not realizing their PS3 build had a terrible bug that would prevent patching + DLC until they had submitted the build to Sony, not being able to get the game on Steam, Mac version being an inferior version compared to the consoles, the list goes on and on.

They need to change the name of their company, because it's pretty obvious that they can't see very far ahead.

TxdoHawk

To be fair, it doesn't seem like their team is too huge, and they are juggling a lot of platforms. The fact that they have been very receptive to feedback is heartening, though. I'd bet once most of the platforms have their initial release + a patch or two, all the drama will die down.

Shaneus

To be fair, it doesn't seem like their team is too huge, and they are juggling a lot of platforms. The fact that they have been very receptive to feedback is heartening, though. I'd bet once most of the platforms have their initial release + a patch or two, all the drama will die down.
Yeah, that's why I'm cutting them a little bit of slack. But (as an industry outsider) a lot of the ways they've gone about things could easily have been rectified with a little more effort promotion and testing-wise. Things that I'd have thought would be common sense.

But still, early days.

Top Bottom