• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley for Nintendo Switch |OT| Starving for a Harvest

Anyone know why the HUD (Time of day, tool and energy bar) are sitting more to the center on Switch docked mode than on PS4 or X1? But then when undocked the Switch screen cuts the sides (basically meaning it has a big overscan) and then the HUD is right at the edge of the screen. Why is that? And does this overscan when docked is a SDV issue only or does it happen with every Switch game?

callmesteam

Neo Member
What should I do in the mine? Do we mean the cave thing near my property (on my property?) I walk in and it's an empty room...

There is a huuuuge mine at the top of the map kinda behind and to the right of Robin and Demetrius' house/workshop. It is not the one on your property. The river kinda leads up to it. Then start going down the ladders and you can 'save' your progress every five levels. BRING FOOD!!! And do NOT die in the caves. The penalty is massive. Either stay stocked up with food, or run back to the ladder and get out. It is not worth risking it. If you fall asleep, on the other hand, its not a huge deal.

PikkonX

I am all about that sprinkler life. Going to spend my first Winter ensuring I have as many iridium sprinklers as possible for the Spring. Next year, I won't miss the strawberry sale.
HVsXd67.jpg

Naar

Robin sent me mail saying she can build me a well. I go to her and bring the stones she needs but there is no option for well when I talk to her.

Ventara

I am all about that sprinkler life. Going to spend my first Winter ensuring I have as many iridium sprinklers as possible for the Spring. Next year, I won't miss the strawberry sale.
HVsXd67.jpg

Very nice! I'm planning to do the same and just started winter, but the mines 85+ are kicking my ass

Vicious

DL9h8QkVwAEdDQu.jpg

Still need to add paths, just haven't decided what kind I want to use yet. I have an orchard along with tapped trees in the bottom right of the farm, another fenced area for cows/goats/pigs/sheep in the bottom left leading over to the lake, crops mostly in the middle, and beehives to the left of the greenhouse. shed and silo up top near the north entrance.

callmesteam

Neo Member
DL9h8QkVwAEdDQu.jpg

Still need to add paths, just haven't decided what kind I want to use yet. I have an orchard along with tapped trees in the bottom right of the farm, another fenced area for cows/goats/pigs/sheep in the bottom left leading over to the lake, crops mostly in the middle, and beehives to the left of the greenhouse. shed and silo up top near the north entrance.

Daaaaang... makes my farm look like trash. I literally just fenced in the coop right in front of the door.

Marvie_3

Banned
Very nice! I'm planning to do the same and just started winter, but the mines 85+ are kicking my ass
I just brought a ton of the farm snacks(things made of the 3 types of pine cones/acorns/etc) or whatever theyre called for the later stages of the mine. Theyre easy to make and you can find the ingredients everywhere.

Brakke

Banned
Holy crap I just replayed the same Spring day 3 times trying to catch the Legend, pulled it off, and then the game crashed at bedtime.

UHHHH.

Chojin

I just brought a ton of the farm snacks(things made of the 3 types of pine cones/acorns/etc) or whatever theyre called for the later stages of the mine. Theyre easy to make and you can find the ingredients everywhere.
Be friends with Linus the bum. He teaches how to make sashimi. Only takes 1 fish no matter how garbage and gives good health and energy and most people like or love it. I think only one guy hates it.

BSpot

Clint wants 5 coal. I go to his shop and at the counter there is no option to turn in that quest. I walk around back of the counter and equip coal and interact and it counts as a gift (1 coal) and now i have 4 and I cannot give it to him in the service of the quest. How should I be trying to give this to him??

[edit] Also I assume (but am a little saddened) that Summer was supposed to literally destroy all my spring crops?

Seaburger

Neo Member
What am I supposed to do in the winter? I feel like I am just killing time in the mine until spring. Also I have made zero effort to befriend the townsfolk, will that come back to bite me in the ass later on?

Mumei

And then you can make them into wine, and age it!

Definitely!

Thanks a lot, I have like 40 ancient fruit seeds, rest I'll do strawberries and trees.

Yeah, you can build your way up to more ancient fruit seeds once you have crafted some seed makers (1 seed = 1-3 of the same seed, 1-4 mixed seeds, or 1 ancient seed. 97% chance of the first option, so you have good odds. It shouldn't take many harvests for you to get to a full 116

did not know you could put trees in the perimeter

You could, and then you couldn't, and then you could again.

(short patch history)

What am I supposed to do in the winter? I feel like I am just killing time in the mine until spring. Also I have made zero effort to befriend the townsfolk, will that come back to bite me in the ass later on?

You can farm. If you collect a Crocus, Crystal Fruit, Snow Yam, and Winter Root, you can craft winter seeds. You'll get 10. Plant those, in 7 days you'll have 10 more of those (at random). You can just keep foraging, crafting winter seeds, and planting (and using some of your harvest to craft more!). If you are lucky, you'll get a lot of Crystal Fruit—they are fairly lucrative.

Got a quest where the Blacksmith asked me to bring one of the single ladies a piece of Amethyst and tell her it's from him. Pretty sure he's cruising for smooches.

If I do this, do I lose a potential future wife? I haven't done much socializing and I want to keep my options open.

Hit level 120 in the mine! Fall 22, year one. Now I gotta get that bus going.

My son, on his save, says "what do I do with this?". He already caught the angler fish, in the middle of summer year 1

Cerium

Got a quest where the Blacksmith asked me to bring one of the single ladies a piece of Amethyst and tell her it's from him. Pretty sure he's cruising for smooches.

If I do this, do I lose a potential future wife? I haven't done much socializing and I want to keep my options open.

You're fine.

Wallach

This is actually incorrect according to the wiki and my personal experience.
If you close the door at night while an animal is outside and then go to bed then there is a chance the animal will be attacked.

The best way to do it IMO is to leave the door open all the time and when the report says its raining the next day, close the door once all the animals are inside to sleep. Then the next time its sunny, open the door up again first thing.

Sure, but avoiding an animal attack is pretty trivial. You can even just go inside the coop after closing the door and any animals that is home for will teleport inside. Or just look and don't leave one out.

The main reason to mess with the coop doors is ensuring they are still in their coop when you get there in the morning. It is a lot less convenient to ensure you pet every animal in the coop if they're outside and spread out somewhere by the time you get there in the AM. Mostly this matters for animals that you are focused on improving friendship with (not mood), such as ducks or anything else you are raising to sell at max hearts for profit and cycle new animals into that building.

For animals that you are just keeping once they reach max friendship it mostly matters that you let them out to eat grass instead of hay whenever possible and not ever letting them be out in the rain. You do lose some animal mood every day if you are staying up later than they are (6-7 PM), and you lose even more if you didn't pet them that day when the next morning comes, which you can usually tell by the drop in purple quality items for that building's animals (assuming you're just skipping petting that building for the day). You can just pet them and let them eat grass to stay near max on mood but it's just a lot less convenient to pet them when they are out unless your fenced area is the same or smaller than the building interior, but that does not leave you enough grass space relative to the size of the building to maintain grass for that long.

I've not had an animal get attacked in 2 years for pretty much the whole second year I've maintained ~40 animals while closing the doors every single night. It's really just so that I can combine the day's petting with product collecting every morning, and to never have to worry about remembering whether it is going to rain the next day or not.

Ramma2

Haha I got that quest too, and Emily was the one I was dating. She gave me a kiss for bringing the gem from Clint.

Sucker.

What about the tree seeds we get from the ground ? Maple, etc. ? Those are just the regular trees we usually chop it down ?

Any advantage to plant them ? Or just for decoration ?

sleepnaught

So, I'm about 20 hours into my save and I picked Rancher as my profession. I decided I want to be a coffee Bean and wine farmer. I understand I'm taking a huge hit since I didn't go with Tiller, but can I still make a viable living going that path anyway? I don't think I can stomach redoing the mines all over again and redoing another farm.

Wallach

What about the tree seeds we get from the ground ? Maple, etc. ? Those are just the regular trees we usually chop it down ?

I sometimes spread them back out on the west side of my farm as needed to maintain a relatively wooded area on my farm as much as possible. You can also make field snacks with all three basic tree seed types.

Brakke

Banned
So, I'm about 20 hours into my save and I picked Rancher as my profession. I decided I want to be a coffee Bean and wine farmer. I understand I'm taking a huge hit since I didn't go with Tiller, but can I still make a viable living going that path anyway? I don't think I can stomach redoing the mines all over again and redoing another farm.

You’re fine. I’m a few days away from end of Year 2 Spring and I’ve bought just about everything that matters. Only have one home upgrade left. It might be rough if you want to buy endgame stuff like Wizard buildings but I’d say don’t sweat it, there’s no way you’ll still be interested in pursuing those if you flush 20 hours down the toilet now.

Ourobolus

Banned

I usually make a small area of my farm with a few trees of each kind and throw taps on them to get a steady supply of Maple Syrup, Pine Tar, and Oak Resin.

Duffk1ng

Right. Summer has finished and autumn has, er, fallen.

Rejigged the farm layout a bit and spent a few days mining gold. The result:

gDjTpP4.jpg

No need to do any watering for a while! Going to spend my fall harvesting crops, then going to look into my first house expansions and animals to keep I think! Got the 36 slot backpack too.

How do I take out 10 pieces of wood from storage instead of ALL of them?

Hit Y to drop/pick up things one at a time.

Someone please tell me how to get gold? It’s like 400G at the blacksmith. I spend until 10AM watering and barely have time to get my energy back up before 2PM after selling crops for the day.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i have like 60 hours in this game, have cleared the mines ages ago, but still have not gotten higher than level 2 dwarf scrolls. goddamn.

limlark

Is there any trick to fishing better? I'm hopelessly terrible at fishing. I'm near the end of my first Fall and so far, while all my other skill levels are at 5 or 6, I have only ever successfully caught 2 fish. Not Level 2 in Fishing... two individual fish. It's just so erratic and unforgiving! Git gud, I guess?

quabba

Is there any trick to fishing better? I'm hopelessly terrible at fishing. I'm near the end of my first Fall and so far, while all my other skill levels are at 5 or 6, I have only ever successfully caught 2 fish. Not Level 2 in Fishing... two individual fish. It's just so erratic and unforgiving! Git gud, I guess?

I think in one area I was catching Sunfish (maybe) where the meter didn't move much and it was really easy. Another area I kept hooking a fish that was much more difficult. So maybe find a place with easy fish to practice on.

Ventara

So I was on floor 99 in the mines when the clock hit 2 AM and the game automatically saved and brought me home. Other than about 25% lost energy, is there any other bad outcome from staying up to 2AM? This is the first time it has happened to me, and it honestly doesn't seem bad. I can easily make up for the lost energy with a sashimi, and being brought back home automatically is great.

limlark

I think in one area I was catching Sunfish (maybe) where the meter didn't move much and it was really easy. Another area I kept hooking a fish that was much more difficult. So maybe find a place with easy fish to practice on.
Interesting, thanks. Do you remember where that spot was?
So I was on floor 99 in the mines when the clock hit 2 AM and the game automatically saved and brought me home. Other than about 25% lost energy, is there any other bad outcome from staying up to 2AM? This is the first time it has happened to me, and it honestly doesn't seem bad. I can easily make up for the lost energy with a sashimi, and being brought back home automatically is great.
Don't they charge you a random amount of money each time?

Ventara

Don't they charge you a random amount of money each time?

I think that's if you die. The doctor charges you 1000G, you'll lose some items and forget some levels from the mines.

But I was conscious and it just brought me back to bed for some slight energy loss. I still have my items and gold.

Edit: Just checked my mail and it seems a Joja member found me. Was billed 259 gold, which seems like 10% of what I had.

Hero

I'm only on like day 5 but am I supposed to meet all the villagers by now? I'm still missing two for the initial quest.

Vicious

Once the fishing minigame starts, holding Y (or A, whichever button you're comfortable with) raises the small green bar, letting go of the button makes the bar drop. If you want to hold the green bar somewhat in place, tap the button. Some fish are too difficult to catch at a low level. If the fish icon is bouncing all over the place then that fish is probably beyond your skill level. Try fishing in all the different areas (ocean, lake, rivers). There are some fish that hardly move at all or just hover around the bottom of the bar.

As your skill increases, your green bar will become larger and you will become better at fishing.

Vicious

I'm only on like day 5 but am I supposed to meet all the villagers by now? I'm still missing two for the initial quest.

There's no time limit for that, eventually you will meet everyone. One of them is probably the wizard which you won't meet until a certain event happens.

Top Bottom