• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

ST2K

I've never thought KFL made sense. It seems like a huge waste of effort and time for a very small group of people that does next to nothing to expand their brand. To me it always screamed out as the embodiment of what Tim represents for KF, the desire to be a hype internet celebrity.

KoF Live was a dumb idea when Colin was there.

It isn't about Colin or being short staffed.

The fundamental idea isn't​ good for their business at this point.

At this point, both Tim and Greg have said that KFL is incredibly important to them. Greg needs to meet and greet and gets a charge out of meeting fans. Tim likes putting on a show. It's here to stay, waste of resources or not.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
At this point, both Tim and Greg have said that KFL is incredibly important to them. Greg needs to meet and greet and gets a charge out of meeting fans. Tim likes putting on a show. It's here to stay, waste of resources or not.

Here to stay as long as they stay afloat. Can't imagine the return on overall investment is a good one. Check this thread for that.

I get why Greg needs a recharge after this as KoF is really his baby. I can imagine he's had thoughts about just hanging it up due to everything.

Still is an overall venture I see it as a net negative for the brand.

Also I don't hate them personally or anything, but Tim wants to be Rooster Teeth so bad I don't see why he doesn't just go be a RT member? The relationship preview just another reminder for this.

ST2K

Here to stay as long as they stay afloat. Can't imagine the return on overall investment is a good one. Check this thread for that.

I get why Greg needs a recharge after this as KoF is really his baby. I can imagine he's had thoughts about just hanging it up due to everything.

Also I don't hate them personally or anything, but Tim wants to be Rooster Teeth so bad I don't see why he doesn't just go be a RT member? The relationship preview just another reminder for this.

For what it's worth, they've said KFL is profitable in the past. I agree that it's too much for what they are and clearly affects their content (now without Colin more than ever) but as I said, it's pretty clear they care more about KFL than most of what they do.

As for Tim, I imagine it's a creative freedom thing, though I do wonder the same thing sometimes.

Coolluck

I imagine Tim likes San Francisco too much to move to Austin.

Vanillalite

For what it's worth, they've said KFL is profitable in the past. I agree that it's too much for what they are and clearly affects their content (now without Colin more than ever) but as I said, it's pretty clear they care more about KFL than most of what they do.

As for Tim, I imagine it's a creative freedom thing, though I do wonder the same thing sometimes.

It's profitable in terms of the show itself ie what they spend to put on the show vs how much they charge for tickets.

I don't doubt the show at least breaks even with the ticket pricing they got going.

The larger question is how the show effects the business as a whole. That's where most of us think it's a net negative. If only 1% of your audience is going, but it takes away time and energy for months that effects all 100% is it worth it?

Also what does KoF Live do to actually grow the brand? Nothing really. It instead is a double down on the super hardest of hardcore 1%ers. Not only that it turns off some of your other fans you already do have.

Vanillalite

Side note I hate the thread for the final PSILoveU as it's just rehashing Colin.

I'll say that at least this community thread for the most part is talking about how KoF is now and what they like/don't.

ST2K

Side note I hate the thread for the final PSILoveU as it's just rehashing Colin.

I'll say that at least this community thread for the most part is talking about how KoF is now and what they like/don't.

KF threads in Gaming always went sideways due to Colin haters coming out of the woodwork. It's unfortunate.

As an aside, this month's AMA with Tim touches on the feedback a bit. At this point, all we can do is wait and see what they have for us.

Tankard

Was just looking at Kinda Funny and Kinda Funny Games on Graphtreon, yikes, the bleeding got a lot worse or is it just my impression?

They really should stop this Kinda Funny Live and Meet Ups non sense and try to do something on their channels for a ressurge, it's been 2 months and it gets worse and worse for them.

jon_dojah

Banned
Was just looking at Kinda Funny and Kinda Funny Games on Graphtreon, yikes, the bleeding got a lot worse or is it just my impression?

They really should stop this Kinda Funny Live and Meet Ups non sense and try to do something on their channels for a ressurge, it's been 2 months and it gets worse and worse for them.

I check the patreons every 2-3 days. In total they lost about $700 in the last few days but there upswings towards the beginning of each month when they charge peoples paypal accounts for their pledges. Will be interesting to see what its at shortly.

Also Colin has also lost $1100 in the same 2-3 days.

mrk8885

Banned
I've been on a slow churning breakup with KF for months now. Not specifically about Colin (lord knows his contributions were dwindling well before he left), but just the overall nature of their shows.

I liked when C&GL/KFMS were more about that news with the silliness sprinkled in. Don't get me wrong; the silliness is important to what they are. But now it seems they're making the show to just BE silly. It often feels like the news component is just a chore to them, and we tend to get nothing more than a cursory discussion of the headlines. I agreed with the $5 tip thing initially assuming that'd be enough of a barrier to nonsense but apparently that isn't the case. I'll never understand why people are paying $5 left and right for nick to say butthole.

The podcasts have definitely gotten stale. I feel that the evergreen nature they've tried to hit with the gamescast is a problem. But perhaps this is being rectified with this spiritual successor to psily. If they end up doing an all console news oriented podcast, I'll be totally on board.

And then besides the content issues themselves (MOST important to me), the recent /never ending drama in the community is starting to wear on me. The Facebook group used to be my go to hub for a gaming community, but it's turned into a dumpster fire. Then seeing the forums mod drama last week was kinda my final straw...KFL3 notwithstanding.

I want to give them a chance, see what's announced, and see how they engage the community. I've been very invested in this group over the years, and I didn't see myself falling out of love so fast.

:/

mrk8885

Banned
Was not aware of this drama. Looked it up and I'm appalled. WTF happened to KF?

Crazy right? That wasn't some fringe fan in the Facebook group trying to stir trouble. It was a longtime mod putting out very reasonable posts and being told "hey, leave. " it stinks.

I understand not having the desire to respond to every jerk on the internet saying negative things. But this was different.

That's actually what made me finally withdraw my pledge. I already had reservations with the patreon anyways (I feel so bad seeing people much worse off than the KF crew feeling bad because they weren't contributing; though that's not really KFs fault), and i realized I had grown tired of paying them money to live cool lives traveling the country and goofing off on camera. I understand that's not completely fair and they deserve to earn a living for providing people entertainment.

killroy87

https://kindafunnyforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11374

Jesus guys idk, this kinda feels like the end.

Hmm, just read through it. Yup, it looks pretty badd for the KF folk. It's like they want to say they have this community of "Best Friends" (which was probably a very bad term to choose from the start), but didn't want to do the work to back it up. It's kind of crazy how KF as a solo venture is so young, and they've managed to fumble the community so quickly.

LOL! So no KF folk posted in that thread at all, but I just saw Greg posted a new thread just asking for crowd sourced work. It's pretty hilarious that he'd post something so clinical in light of the current climate on those forums.

Zukkoyaki

The situation with the mod is crazy.

Man, they are hardcore bungling their relationship with their community. Jading your mods who have been longtime, dedicated fans? Oof. Kind of funny (heh) considering this year was supposed to be all about the community. Their Community Manager, while a delightful person, doesn't seem all that great at her job either considering communication is just as bad or worse than ever and seems to be feeding them filtered information.

Doubling down on "Love us or leave," which has been an issue since they started but seems worse than ever, is disgusting and going to eventually bite them in the ass hardcore.

killroy87

The situation with the mod is crazy.

Man, they are hardcore bungling their relationship with their community. Jading your mods who have been longtime, dedicated fans? Oof. Kind of funny (heh) considering this year was supposed to be all about the community. Their Community Manager, while a delightful person, doesn't seem all that great at her job either considering communication is just as bad or worse than ever and seems to be feeding them filtered information.

Doubling down on "Love us or leave," which has been an issue since they started but seems worse than ever, is disgusting and going to eventually bite them in the ass hardcore.

To be fair, she has literally zero power. She could be communicating all of the community's plights to the KF guys with complete accuracy, it's still up to them to react. Considering Greg's completely moronic response to this situation, I'm betting she's doing her best, and just facing a brick wall.

Zukkoyaki

To be fair, she has literally zero power. She could be communicating all of the community's plights to the KF guys with complete accuracy, it's still up to them to react. Considering Greg's completely moronic response to this situation, I'm betting she's doing her best, and just facing a brick wall.

Fair enough! Putting it that way I feel genuinely sorry for her. Being a community manager is a tough job in general but it has to be particularly rough in her situation.

Yikes, check out Lindsay's response:

Don't worry, I got called a liar privately. Myself, and others, can back up BH's accounts. We don't have records of voice chats, but we have 2 years worth of text chats. We discuss everything in detail- we would definitely have discussed the notion that the KF guys lurk here all the time and don't post. Yet, I search our chats for the word "lurk" and it only returns a few hits, which are mostly people talking about lurking Twitch chat.

I was also told to leave in the very beginning of the year. But I feel like if I did I'd be letting down the mod team and all the users here. My responsibility is to the users here, and you guys are the ones who I will defend, not KF.

idonteven

year of the community

8M1xJUs.gif

This year is supposed to be about community and they're telling fans who dedicate hundreds of hours their own time to leave?

Jesus Christ guys. Figure your shit out fast. I don't know if I can stay onboard with this.

Karu

Aside from all the shit going on, this week's GoG so far is on point. But they also have a great panel assembled there.

ghornett

Neo Member
Lindsay is the community's hidden treasure. From my perspective she does waaaaay more than the actual CM. Her digital finger print is everywhere. It's funny reading through the fb thread how many KF Yes Men don't even care to understand the situation and call it a reddit problem, looking for recognition, lolKFMSmeme, internet drama etc. Andys' responses show that he just doesn't get either. I 100% believe you can be a mod and be critical of what you're moderating. Not sure why is this so hard to see.

mrk8885

Banned
I can save everyone their time tonight.

"We hear you. We know there are concerns. We really mean it when we say we're best friends. Please be excited about all the things we're gonna announce at KFL3. Also, if you dont like how we do things, feel free to leave.

Go buy your KFL3 tickets. Subscribe to our podcasts. Support us on patreon to keep the mics on. Keep watching all those monetized videos even when you support us. Because that's what best friends do. Also dont forget about sending us that Amazon Prime free twitch sub."

I seem angry. I guess I need a nap.

linds

Neo Member
You're like, my hero.

Lindsay is the community's hidden treasure. From my perspective she does waaaaay more than the actual CM. Her digital finger print is everywhere

Lindsay is the absolute best. She's the mod kinda funny needs, but not the one it deserves.(hope I used that right)

Y'all are too nice <3

I'm anxious about it tbh.

Same. As evidenced by recent threads, they can very well make things worse by jumping in without a cohesive plan-of-attack and unified messaging.

This is all very disappointing to read. This "year of the community" is like when i told my mom that my grades will go up this year at school and only for them to drop even worse then before!

Coolluck

Did not know about the mod issue. That's not a good look for them at all. I imagine they'll hype KFL3, say the content will start flowing from E3 onwards, and then stumble again with RTX.

Top Bottom