• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #27 | http://cbsinteractive.com/careers

uhgeesfp.png

The New Day segment tonight is gonna be interesting.

Nerokis

Welp... Took out my pledge to Danny and bumped Drew's to a higher tier instead.

I honestly don't understand this. I'm guessing most of you have kept up with Danny for a pretty long time. You know he does good work, and you know there's a good chance he's not a bad person by any stretch of the imagination. But because he's released some indecisive tweets, and dares to support the Patreon of a long-term industry persona who's worst crimes are having stupid political opinions and trolling on Twitter, you're demonizing him and trying to punish him financially.

I understand latching onto certain heuristics when you don't know someone particularly well, or aren't invested in them in any way. "Supporting Colin's Patreon? Eh, gonna avoid this person." But in Danny's case, you have a larger context for who he is and what he does, and presumably a connection with him as a consumer of his content that goes back years. What is there to be gained by not supporting him?

Because were I him, and I saw that this was as little as it took to spark a backlash among my progressive fans, I wouldn't be thinking I'd need to reform on a personal level. I'd be struggling with the fact that there's such a strong financial incentive to suppress even my more innocuous slightly contrarian opinions, and in my more bitter moods, I might be looking for support elsewhere.

In other words, Danny's always seemed like a cool guy, but he's also human, and I wouldn't blame him if this kind of unwarranted backlash distorted his opinion of the side (I'm assuming - I could have a massive blindspot here, but I don't think so) he's inclined to support. And seeing as I'm on that side, that seems counterproductive to me.

In addition to all this, I would bet most the GB crew would see all the "at least GB has good people!" sentiment being expressed in this thread, and feel it's unearned. Because they're probably big Danny fans, and don't think they're particularly better people just because they've done a better job maneuvering through heated political waters.

Meguro

Banned
Colin didn't just "troll on twitter" or have stupid political opinions.
He appealed to an extremely specific audience with his followups to that fucking stupid tweet.
An audience that you should decry very quickly if you happen to be on their side of an argument.
And now Colin is feeding off that exact audience and Danny is supporting that.
It's garbage and I don't blame anyone for being pissed at Danny.

Kimaka

aVJpqJV.png

Yeah, was probably going to do it soon anyway, but time to call it a day on Danny's Patreon.

Meanwhile he's out there re-tweeting a trans dev who's spent the last hour admonishing the industry's show of support for Colin. Really made a home for himself on that fence.

This is a shame.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It was either the night after the last Wrestlemania or the one before, but during a women's match the crowd had multiple "You suck <insert wrestler's boyfriend here>!"

Oh.

Did I miss something?

Though of course I'm missing something because I don't follow wrestling.

So I listened to the waypoint nier discussion in their latest poddy.

And what a good discussion. They have what Giant Bomb sorely meets. Their discussion did not devolve to vaguely talking about a game while saying "you can clear a whole map with just the drone" and then riffing on that. Like, it made me realize how much time GB spends criticizing the systems or mechanics of a game when they talk about it on the podcast. It was enjoyable to hear about the themes and their opinions on it then just saying this is bad or this is good and being able to create a meaningful discussion out of their critique.

I dunno. I liked the waypoint poddy. It felt that it had that something that GB was missing.

Oh.

Did I miss something?

Though of course I'm missing something because I don't follow wrestling.

A): Wrestling fans can be real assholes, especially towards the female wrestlers.

B): Over the weekend there were leaked photos and video of Paige, a current wrestler, which are very explicit and involve other current/former WWE wrestlers.

yami4ct

Friend of the site Xavier Woods had a sex tape with a female wrestler leak, which is probably going to be the basis of the chant tonight

Boy. That sounds like a real fucking bummer. When love crowds can go bad, they can go really bad I guess.

Too much content
Danny is a Nazi

I was a bit shocked about how much content there was that I hadn't seen when I looked last night. Watched about half of UPF. Guess I'll finish that and maybe watch the Wildlands QL

Salarians

I can't believe we live in a time where the developers of fucking Killzone made a good open world RPG and the new Bioware game looks like such a bummer that even I'm not buying it

Megasoum

Banned
I honestly don't understand this. I'm guessing most of you have kept up with Danny for a pretty long time. You know he does good work, and you know there's a good chance he's not a bad person by any stretch of the imagination. But because he's released some indecisive tweets, and dares to support the Patreon of a long-term industry persona who's worst crimes are having stupid political opinions and trolling on Twitter, you're demonizing him and trying to punish him financially.

I understand latching onto certain heuristics when you don't know someone particularly well, or aren't invested in them in any way. "Supporting Colin's Patreon? Eh, gonna avoid this person." But in Danny's case, you have a larger context for who he is and what he does, and presumably a connection with him as a consumer of his content that goes back years. What is there to be gained by not supporting him?

Because were I him, and I saw that this was as little as it took to spark a backlash among my progressive fans, I wouldn't be thinking I'd need to reform on a personal level. I'd be struggling with the fact that there's such a strong financial incentive to suppress even my more innocuous slightly contrarian opinions, and in my more bitter moods, I might be looking for support elsewhere.

In other words, Danny's always seemed like a cool guy, but he's also human, and I wouldn't blame him if this kind of unwarranted backlash distorted his opinion of the side (I'm assuming - I could have a massive blindspot here, but I don't think so) he's inclined to support. And seeing as I'm on that side, that seems counterproductive to me.

In addition to all this, I would bet most the GB crew would see all the "at least GB has good people!" sentiment being expressed in this thread, and feel it's unearned. Because they're probably big Danny fans, and don't think they're particularly better people just because they've done a better job maneuvering through heated political waters.

I never said I was suddenly blacklisting Danny...

I'll still watch the videos he releases (hopefully they'll be more like Doom and Rocket League and less like the two Frog Fractions ones).

I never used Discord and was barely watching the behind the scene/Q&A stuff he posted for patrons so I wasn't really getting anything out of my monthly pledge.

Also there's a big difference between just supporting someone's work and giving that person money every month.

yami4ct

I can't believe we live in a time where the developers of fucking Killzone made a good open world RPG and the new Bioware game looks like such a bummer that even I'm not buying it

I wish I had time for Horizon and NiER, but FFXIV ruined my life.

Don't play MMOs. Except, maybe do. FFXIV is great.

same world where persona 5 will sell more than the new mass effect

I like your optimism.

I love eggs. They're good for you, they're easy to make, and they taste great!

anyone who doesn't like eggs can eat shit

in fact, that's what they're probably doing in lieu of eggs

Took me a few minutes to figure out how to describe this tastefully.

There's apparently video of Paige using her NXT Women's Championship as a surface onto which her boyfriend "finished."

jesus christ

Zaph

Yeah, Danny seems like a decent bloke and has done some good work, but this isn't the first time he's flirted with some bullshit.

Nobody is obliged to support him (and especially not the type of people who are on the receiving end of his friend's bullshit opinions) and nobody is taking anything of his away - it's just choosing not to give him something.

Salarians

I wish I had time for Horizon and NiER, but FFXIV ruined my life.

Don't play MMOs. Except, maybe do. FFXIV is great.
I played FFXIV for a month last year. It was a very fun month but it's such a time consuming game. I couldn't play anything else.

I don't think I can do that again.

There's apparently video of Paige using her NXT Women's Championship as a surface onto which her boyfriend "finished."
oh

What I can't believe (or maybe I can!) is that Guerilla, who never made anything other than an FPS (apart from the isometric PSP Killzone), was able in their first try, to make an open-world RPG that runs circles (performance wise) around Bethesda open-world RPGs. Could you imagine TES or Fallout looking and running like Horizon!?

Yeah, Danny seems like a decent bloke and has done some good work, but this isn't the first time he's flirted with some bullshit.

Nobody is obliged to support him (and especially not the type of people who are on the receiving end of his friend's bullshit opinions) and nobody is taking anything of his away - it's just choosing not to give him something.

Danny "Boogie deserved the award" O' Dwyer. Surprised he hasnt come out and defended Jontron while hes at it.</s>

pizzacat

Banned

I doubt this is the first time thats ever happened

Ric Flair had a belt once right?

tonka

I think letting Danny know that we don't particularly like where he is using his influence (read: money) to support by withdrawing our influence (read: money) is perfectly valid.
I kind of stayed with him a little with the questionable tweets and stuff, but he doesn't have to straight away jump to the Colin train, it was a poor situation that was poison enough for Greg Miller to say no.

yami4ct

I played FFXIV for a month last year. It was a very fun month but it's such a time consuming game. I couldn't play anything else.

I don't think I can do that again.

I migggggght have played almost 400 hours of that game in 3 months. Yeah, it's a time sink.

In my defense, I cleared 99% of the content that I would even want to play prior to the next expansion. I'm also taking april and maybe may off of it too. It'll be nice to play some other games. It's really good.

J_Viper

Danny is supporting his friend, so now you all hate him?

Do you people not have friends in real life and not understand how it works?

You can still care for someone and heavily disagree with some of their views at the same time.

So I listened to the waypoint nier discussion in their latest poddy.

And what a good discussion. They have what Giant Bomb sorely meets. Their discussion did not devolve to vaguely talking about a game while saying "you can clear a whole map with just the drone" and then riffing on that. Like, it made me realize how much time GB spends criticizing the systems or mechanics of a game when they talk about it on the podcast. It was enjoyable to hear about the themes and their opinions on it then just saying this is bad or this is good and being able to create a meaningful discussion out of their critique.

I dunno. I liked the waypoint poddy. It felt that it had that something that GB was missing.

If you love it so much why don't you just marry it

Kidding, but really though, both podcasts are very different, and there's no need for either to copy each other. I enjoy the Waypoint podcast, as well.

Top Bottom