• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

Wait what? Is it confirmed they're making it? They'll probably fuck up the camera like on the G6 unless Google doesn't let them.

Yep LG is making Pixel XL 2. Maybe smaller Pixel is still HTC?

Doubt it. I got prime and buy too much shit lol.

And at least with the Sony I can return it saying the fingerprint sensor is broken 🤣

Lol true. You can pretty much return any electronic to them saying it overheats.
Wonder what 4k content there is anyways besides mkhd videos. I'm not gonna pay extra for premium Netflix. Amazon has some 4k stuff?

YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, and Chrome if you do the 4k hack. I have like no interest in these Sony phones. I can't take them seriously with their outdated design. Those bezels with sharp corners are gonna stab your legs one day.

Jeffrey

Bezels are practical. I used the OP5 for a week without a case without worry. S8+ I'm scared to use it at home without a case and I have carpet. Gotta balance it on my pinky to reach stuff properly because of no bezels.

Bezels are practical. I used the OP5 for a week without a case without worry. S8+ I'm scared to use it at home without a case and I have carpet. Gotta balance it on my pinky to reach stuff properly because of no bezels.

Bezels are good. Sharp edges are bad.

Jeffrey

Bezels are good. Sharp edges are bad.

not sure. i dont think ive actually owned a phone before that could stand on vertically by itself lol.

I usually wear khakis for work, or gym shorts, so i can't imagine sharp edges affecting my pocket use too much. maybe it will dig into my hands though... who knows!

not sure. i dont think ive actually owned a phone before that could stand on vertically by itself lol.

I usually wear khakis for work, or gym shorts, so i can't imagine sharp edges affecting my pocket use too much. maybe it will dig into my hands though... who knows!

Maybe it won't be so bad. Impressions seem to be good. Sony seem to be good with updates too. What are you gonna do with the OnePlus 5?

Jeffrey

Maybe it won't be so bad. Impressions seem to be good. Sony seem to be good with updates too. What are you gonna do with the OnePlus 5?
Probably keeping it. 99% sure not gonna keep the Sony. If it really wows me I'd just buy an international because those are going way cheaper.

OP5 is my favorite phone atm. But I generally prefer performance over other aspects. OP5 is fast,charges fast too.

People keep saying that Sony Android is stockish and fast too though so there is a chance that the premium can win me over.

Damn you rubin. You were gonna be my current phone.

Probably keeping it. 99% sure not gonna keep the Sony. If it really wows me I'd just buy an international because those are going way cheaper.

OP5 is my favorite phone atm. But I generally prefer performance over other aspects. OP5 is fast,charges fast too.

People keep saying that Sony Android is stockish and fast too though so there is a chance that the premium can win me over.

Damn you rubin. You were gonna be my current phone.

Still would like to buy another OnePlus 5 if they ever fix the jello screen.

IronRaven

tbh, pretty much all my hype for essential... was transfered over to pixel xl 2 lol.

better usage of my $700~ than for a new startup that key executives are bouncing before product launch.

I will wait. Still might need a phone to tide me over for the next couple of months.

Jeffrey

we still know basically nothing about the software for a phone that was suppose to launch last month.

Unless they are literally just dumping AOSP on it lol... which is remarkable in it self.

Or just call it an android one phone that gets updates from google lol.

That would interest me!

longdi

Banned
The Xperia is just never going to do very well in the US. For better or for worse, giant bezel-less screens are now an Android Thing, and Sony is lagging behind in that respect.

It's also expensive (though well worth it, IMO, build quality is top notch), and the lack of a fingerprint scanner is the final nail in the coffin. Sure you can flash the firmware, but how many mainstream users do you think are going to do such a thing?

I've had a XZP for a few weeks now and this thing is an absolute champ, but it doesn't quite have that mainstream appeal. People are going to value a big sexy screen over a solidly running phone that'll stay that way for months, but eh, what can you do

The biggest sadness about XZP is the small battery. Sony used to be generous about battery size. Fact is, Sony used to be a forerunner in many positive areas that we see modern phones getting praised for. They have regressed here and there, but luckily their speedy OS is remains

Still we can expect the next XP to have tiny bezels if the new JDI panels are a real deal. With FP sensor at the side, we dont need no stinky slow FP sensor embedded onscreen. The next XP may be the god phone, just in time for me when my contract ends! :D

DagsJT

You can get the G6 on heavy discount. So your getting premium like features for less and you can get it on carrier so you're not dealing with an unlocked Chinese phone.

Plus Floss really liked the wide angle lense.

Yeah, I think that's probably my plan now. Grab a G6 off eBay and use that for a few months. If the Pixel 2 is amazing, I'll consider getting it on a contract.

I need the Essential to actually come out so I can get my hour long floss review.

2dd.jpg

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Man the YouTube app for Android keeps turning into shit. I hate they're removing all the swipe away features and I'm forced to click buttons. Now when you minimize a video, I can't even swipe to dismiss it anymore because I have to press the X button. Wtf is this?

Managed to get an LG G6 for $365. Retails for about $800 here, that's about 50% savings here through a distributer friend of mine in India. Gave it to my mom placing her two year old Galaxy S6.

35350612210_602eff15b5_z.jpg

kaiyo

The biggest sadness about XZP is the small battery. Sony used to be generous about battery size. Fact is, Sony used to be a forerunner in many positive areas that we see modern phones getting praised for. They have regressed here and there, but luckily their speedy OS is remains

Still we can expect the next XP to have tiny bezels if the new JDI panels are a real deal. With FP sensor at the side, we dont need no stinky slow FP sensor embedded onscreen. The next XP may be the god phone, just in time for me when my contract ends! :D

Ya they even had a min. bezel phone in '13 along with the original Z, the ZL, the highest stb ratio back then.

But no one buys Sony, lol

I can. Volume is too low.

But good quality

Man the YouTube app for Android keeps turning into shit. I hate they're removing all the swipe away features and I'm forced to click buttons. Now when you minimize a video, I can't even swipe to dismiss it anymore because I have to press the X button. Wtf is this?

what you talking about i can still swipe down to remove the window

Laekon

Since people are talking about LG making the Pixel XL 2 do we even know if LG actually manufactures anything? I'm not sure why but I'm under the impression they just use contract manufacturers like Foxconn.

Oh? Now I'm interested

Still too much money for a phone that will be outdated as of today in 4 months and costs just below $900 with tax as well as having no FP sensor. If it was like $200 less, I would maybe consider it, but with the Pixel 2 looming soon and my hope that the new Moto Z will wow me, it's a very hard pass.

kaiyo

oh I gave them a chance

<3
but you're the only one

Dang. Xz premium weights like 40g more than my op5 with a slightly smaller screen lol.

premium material

Which colour did you get?

Just noticed my S7's latest security update was April. I thought Samsung would support the S7 better than that.
Even Sony mid range phone from last year got the July security update already

Thinking about a Huawei P10

Dad got the P9 last year and its a great built phone for the money. Great camera. He likes it and isnt the best with tech. From the bits I have used it, its real nice.

Its super duper custom android but I am OK with that. Getting bored of how stagnant the UI of stock has been.

My understanding is the P10 doesnt have the coating on the front glass to stop finger prints so it can get dirty but Ill be rocking a screen protector anyway so that shouldn't be a issue.

In the same price range my only options are last years phones and I would probably rather go with a p10 then a S7 or something.

Is it root or unlock the bootloader? Usually Sony booby traps when you unlock bootloaders
I've read by rooting, but didn't dog much deeper so probably by unlocking bootloader too. That puts them on my no no list of companies not to buy phones from. Unlocking bootloader and root is too important.

kaiyo

Is it root or unlock the bootloader? Usually Sony booby traps when you unlock bootloaders

Unlocking the bootloader removes the drm key which is the for the camera, display, audio algorithm (4k, steadyshot, Bravia engine, noise cancellation/audio enhancements, etc). Either wait for a way to root without unlocking bootloader or wait for a drm fix. Either way back up the TA partition, that's where the drm key is stored.

I think my Nexus 5X is dead again. Contacted Project Fi in March about my first succumbing to bootloops/not turning on (bought in Sept 2015) and they sent the refurb I have now. Now the refurb is not turning on. I am buying a Moto G5+ until the Pixel 2/Moto X4 come out and then will decide on one of them. Thanks LG. Project Fi support is great though.

Top Bottom