• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida teens who recorded drowning man will not be charged in his death

If only they could release their names so this video and story will be associated with them forever. But they're just getting off entirely scott free. No repercussion whatsoever. makes my blood boil, especially as being an ex-lifeguard.

zeemumu

Laws governing assistance don't put a clause in it saying unless you think he's dead either way.

There are only a few exceptions were laymen are allowed to call the death of people over a professional and those are things like decapitation and similar.

EMD doesn't let people die either when they think it's hopeless a doctor has to make that call. This can differ in cases of emergency depending on available personnel.

No but that's probably the excuse you'd have to use to get out of it if you lived in a place that did require assistance. I've heard worse court-accepted excuses.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If that was my son i would be dismayed. Would probably give his inheritance to charity

If that was my son I'd beat the fuck out of him and I'm against hitting your kids as a punishment. However letting someone die and taunting them while it happened? Yeah fuck that, its an ass whooping.

If only they could release their names so this video and story will be associated with them forever. But they're just getting off entirely scott free. No repercussion whatsoever. makes my blood boil, especially as being an ex-lifeguard.

Well seeing as how they don't seem to care they've probably told a bunch of their friends and since they're teens it'll spread quickly.

There's a bit of hope.

Huh? I’m almost certain I’ve heard Florida has Good Samaritan laws

It does. But a Good Samaritan law doesn't mean what you think it does. Good Samaritan laws protect people who are helping others from liability. So if I break someone's ribs by performing CPR on them, they can't sue me for it. They don't require you to help anyone. That's duty to rescue.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't know what pisses me off more, that these evil sociopathic little shitstains laughed and recorded a dying man screaming for help, or that Florida is such a shite state that it doesn't even have a law on the books to prevent something like that from happening again.

Horrible and infuriating all around.

Huh? I’m almost certain I’ve heard Florida has Good Samaritan laws

From what I understnad, Good Samaritan laws means you are not held liable if you try to help and something goes wrong, not that you are obligated to help.

King_Moc

Banned
I know you can't force people to help, but you may as well just put these kids in jail now as that's where they're going to end up anyway.

Roo

You see someone in trouble and you just laugh at them while filming it?.
I think this is what bothers me the most.

Doing nothing for someone in trouble, I get that since there was a risk involved (strictly talking about personally helping him) but not calling 911, recording, and making fun of him while he was drowning? That was fucking disgusting.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
That's some We Need to Talk About Kevin shit. I'm sure there will be an indie movie about this from the parents perspective in a few years.

The family is doing the right thing. Keep this video and their names out there and in the public knowledge. Would any of you want to work with any of these people 10 years from now? Would you want your daughter to marry any of these people?

Camwi

Wow. They might not be murderers for this, but let's be honest here, they're probably future murderers.

What.The.Fuck.

Xe4

Banned
That's a moral question, not a legal one. People post on here about committing suicide. If they did it, would you want to be held liable for not helping?

As someone who's dealt with stuff like that before, you can't just get sued, you can be in serious legal trouble if someone says they're going to kill themselves and you do nothing. you're supposed to get them to call a suicide hotline or call the police or something.

What do you think he was doing? Fishing?

So you're basing thinking he was trying to drown himself on "What do you think he was doing?"

If I see someone in the water, drowning or otherwise, the thought of "Maybe they're trying to kill themselves" wouldn't even begin to enter my mind. That is so absurd.

That's a moral question, not a legal one. People post on here about committing suicide. If they did it, would you want to be held liable for not helping?
As someone who's dealt with stuff like that before, you can't just get sued, you can be in serious legal trouble if someone says they're going to kill themselves and you do nothing. you're supposed to get them to call a suicide hotline or call the police or something.

Yeah, as someone who has dealt with stuff like that before as well, it's a very serious matter - and one that companies and organizations are very aware of.

giphy.gif

There has to be some type of pathology to display this kind of behavior? Psychopath kids?
At least one of them probably. The other's may have gone along with it because peer pressure and the general "not giving a shit about others" attitude many teens possess depending on maturity. I imagine later in life they will realize the gravity of what they did and hopefully be emotionally destroyed or they won't care because they are psychopaths.

Roland1979

Wouldn't surprise me if the kids end up being doxxed and receive countless threats, and probably end up in some real danger themselves.

LordKasual

Banned
They shouldn't have been charged, that's asinine.

They are under no obligation to save a drowning person, and me being someone who's actually (stupidly) done this before, it is REALLY fucking dangerous, unless you have something to pull someone out of the water with.

They are a bunch of cunts, however, and deserve to know how sick they are

Wouldn't surprise me if the kids end up being doxxed and receive countless threats, and probably end up in some real danger themselves.

Most likely. Especially with all the people here already saying they want their names out there so they can "be punished."

They shouldn't have been charged, that's asinine.

They are under no obligation to save a drowning person, and me being someone who's actually (stupidly) done this before, it is REALLY fucking dangerous, unless you have something to pull someone out of the water with.

You do realize there's a difference between:
  • Trying to save someone
  • Calling 9-1-1 / calling for help
  • Doing nothing
  • Taping it
  • Taping it and laughing

Right?...

Absolute pieces of shit. I don't blame them for not trying to save him, but taunting him and not calling the cops after they watched a man drown to report it? Fuck them

Flo_Evans

So you're basing thinking he was trying to drown himself on "What do you think he was doing?"

If I see someone in the water, drowning or otherwise, the thought of "Maybe they're trying to kill themselves" wouldn't even begin to enter my mind. That is so absurd.

They saw him walk out into he water and swim to the middle of the lake.

I wonder if there is more to this story. How does a 31 year old guy who looks pretty fit drown? Did the kids know him and there was some beef between them? Did the drowned man suffer from something drug related (willingly or unknown) before he entered the pool? The article mentioned him telling his mom and fiancee to "leave the house", what triggered that and why did he decide to go into some sort of pool or lake afterwards?

Just a whole lot of weird things going on it seems like, from the headline you'd think its a guy swimming in the ocean and some teenagers laugh as he drowns but its not that at all, story just seems weird and bizarre.

5taquitos

I hope that every night, as these assholes lie in bed awaiting sleep, the screams of the drowning man seep in, filling the void of the darkness. Sleep refuses to come, and when it finally does the dreams that manifest are a twisted horror of guilt and regret, pulling them from sleep drenched in cold sweat and with a racing heart. Finally, as the years pass and the torment grows, they succumb to a slow death from substance abuse and self-harm.

But they're probably going to just go on with their lives, raise terrible kids, and further the downward spiral of this fucked up species.

They saw him walk out into he water and swim to the middle of the lake.

Alright?
"He's trying to commit suicide by drowning" would never enter my mind.

Can you link to some instances of people committing suicide by drowning where:
They didn't jump off of a bridge
They didn't weight themselves down by something
There wasn't alcohol involved

"Suicide by drowning" - apart from those above conditions - isn't something that you really can do. Your body won't let you.

ironmang

The teens were interviewed by police, during which they admitted to being in the area "smoking weed," police said.

I don't know shit about drug laws but couldn't they at least do something with this? Just to at least have any kind of punishment.

Top Bottom