• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WAPO: Sessions discussed Trump campaign-related matters with Russian ambassador

JettDash

Perhaps Sessions can explain how the Russian spymaster got insider info about the Trump campaign if it wasn't him.

lol, he is fucked

Sessions is pretty much boned now, at least as far as his job is concerned, right? Now that Trump basically shit on him in public and this thing too.
If Trump touches Mueller, it's as good as over for him.
People keep saying this, but why? From my limited understanding of US law, the POTUS can't be removed except through impeachment, right? Why would removing Mueller be the one thing that would doom him?

androvsky

If he quits Trump can fire Mueller after hiring a new AG, allegedly.
Trump has to find someone qualified enough to get confirmed as AG who's willing to be AG for this mess, with everyone knowing the first thing that's going to happen is the new AG will be asked to fire Mueller.

cameron

Ambassador Sergey Kislyak's accounts of two conversations with Sessions — then a top foreign policy adviser to Republican candidate Donald Trump — were intercepted by U.S. spy agencies, which monitor the communications of senior Russian officials both in the United States and in Russia. Sessions initially failed to disclose his contacts with Kislyak and then said that the meetings were not about the Trump campaign.

One U.S. official said that Sessions — who testified that he has no recollection of the April encounter — has provided ”misleading" statements that are ”contradicted by other evidence." A former official said that the intelligence indicates that Sessions and Kislyak had ”substantive" discussions on matters including Trump's positions on Russia-related issues and prospects for U.S.-Russia relations in a Trump administration.
Reminder: This contradicts Sessions in March: ”I never had meetings with Russian operatives or Russian intermediaries about the Trump camp."

— Kyle Griffin‏ (@kylegriffin1) July 21, 2017

A detestable lie he said it was.
An appalling and detestable lie!

Socivol

What pisses me off is Jeff Sessions is trying to bring back these harsh punishments for bullshit crimes and increase civil forfeitures while he is over here (potentially) committing crimes himself. He has some gall to be pushing his legal agenda all the while working in the shadows "not recalling" these conversations.

Loxley

lCIeCLt.jpg

jelly

Surely Kislyak and the Russians know the IC monitor his communications. I'm not defending Sessions but it's all a bit blasé is it not. I'm thinking more the Russians want Sessions out rather than anybody else going by this. It makes no sense to be that blatant.

Sianos

This investigation is implacable in its advance, and with every step towards them the heat and pressure builds.

Locke562

Isn't the duty on Rosenstien, even if a new AG is appointed? I feel like I read that, but it seems there's a lot of contradictory info about the process of how this works
The only reason Rosenstein was the one to appoint a special prosecutor was because Sessions recused himself. A new AG would, as Rosenstein's superior, be able to fire Mueller.

Jarate

Banned
The new AG has to be confirmed. I'd imagine the only way he does get confirmed is if he says that he's going to recuse himself from the case or to keep Eisenstein etc etc.

This could also be infighting among the Trump team, Sessions was probably supposed to resign after Trump yelled about him. He didn't, I wouldn't be surprised if Trump team dropped this to get Sessions out faster.

Shauni

Trump has to find someone qualified enough to get confirmed as AG who's willing to be AG for this mess, with everyone knowing the first thing that's going to happen is the new AG will be asked to fire Mueller.

Anyone he ultimately nominates will get confirmed unless some real serious shit comes out about them.

If Trump touches Mueller, it's as good as over for him.

I wish this were true, but highly doubtful it is

theWB27

The only reason Rosenstein was the one to appoint a special prosecutor was because Sessions recused himself. A new AG would, as Rosenstein's superior, be able to fire Mueller.

Doesn't rosenstein have the power to make Mueller untouchable if he felt like the new guy would impede?

Wag

I predict this will happen: The administration will argue Kislyak knew his communications were being monitored and made this up to implicate Sessions.

lol

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The new AG has to be confirmed. I'd imagine the only way he does get confirmed is if he says that he's going to recuse himself from the case or to keep Eisenstein etc etc.

This could also be infighting among the Trump team, Sessions was probably supposed to resign after Trump yelled about him. He didn't, I wouldn't be surprised if Trump team dropped this to get Sessions out faster.
Trump asked for Sessions' resignation, which he delivered, but it later rejected by Trump himself, supposedly.

Based on trumps recent comments, he's probably looking for a reason to fire sessions. This could be it. But then he'd have to admit WaPo isn't fake news. Decisions decisions

SeeThree

The BEST part is all the traps. None of this shit is the full story. These amateurs will lie and take the bait over and over.

These fucks thought they could come in call the IC nazi's then chop the head off the FBI?

Crocodile

My concern is that Sessions just says "the Russian is lying" since there aren't his words on the record from this meeting. He might have acquired enough Ls to get pushed out but I'm not sure yet.

Zolo

Based on trumps recent comments, he's probably looking for a reason to fire sessions. This could be it. But then he'd have to admit WaPo isn't game news. Decisions decisions

Also that at least part of his administration has had extensive Russia contact.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I predict this will happen: The administration will argue Kislyak knew his communications were being monitored and made this up to implicate Sessions.

lol

Which would be a trap card because I bet that the IC has more direct evidence and is waiting for Sessions to do exactly that.

woodland

Gleeful that Sessions is fucked, but won't it be bad to get a new DOJ head? Rosenstein won't be in charge of Mueller anymore, no?

Russia's ambassador to Washington told his superiors in Moscow that he discussed campaign-related matters, including policy issues important to Moscow, with Jeff Sessions

Sessions can get fucked, but it's worth noting they don't have Sessions on tape or anything. He could say this is a Russian plot, etc

Y'all are repeatedly asking the same questions.

Rosenstein would become acting AG. Whomever would replace him permanently (if not him) would be GRILLED on leaving Mueller alone in hearings.

Nafai1123

Banned

lol

I think they will try this too. The question is whether the intercepts picked up any information that Kislyak relayed to Moscow about the Trump campaign that would only be known by those in the campaign. If he did, this excuse doesn't fly.

Top Bottom