• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In Norway, women now hold all 3 top positions in gov (Prime, foreign, finance min.)

Nordicus

Politics nowadays are a bit grim, so some good news are needed now and then

‘A historic day for Norway as a nation’

lAdctIx.jpg

The appointment on Friday of Ine Marie Eriksen Søreide as Norwegian [foreign] minister forms a new all-female trio at the highest levels of government. Finance Minister Siv Jensen and Solberg have held the top two positions since 2013. The foreign minister’s post is considered the next most important, and Børge Brende’s resignation to join the World Economic Forum left it open for Søreide, who has served as Solberg’s defense minister for the past four years.

“It’s been said that women often get ministerial positions in governments that have the least power,” Johannes Bergh of the Norwegian research institute ISF (Institutt for samfunnsforskning) told state broadcaster NRK. “That’s definitely not the case here. This is unique and historic.”

Hoo-doo

Banned
As usual, it's scandinavian countries leading the way forward for the world.

If only their language wasn't so damn hard, i'd consider moving north.

Irminsul

The punchline being that the government is a coalition of Norway's Conservatives and their right-wing populist party, the "Progress Party" (though they're far milder than their European cousins).

Cocaloch

Norwegian isn't very hard. This is good for Norway, but I've also thought it was interesting that people haven't pointed out that all three leaders of the major political parties of Scotland were women until late August.

Eh. Swedish, danish and norwegian are from same language family as english and so more easier to learn for english speakers than most of languages. Finnish though? You have a point lol (I say this as finnish speaker)

There are racists and xenophobes here like any place. But you made it sound like Scandinavia is some sort of exceptionally racist place, which is laughable.
There’s not enough PoC in Sweden to commit acts against, I presume. However, Swedes do have a predisposition to hating Armenians and the Roma.

jorma

is now taking requests
There’s not enough PoC in Sweden to commit acts against, I presume. However, Swedes do have a predisposition to hating Armenians and the Roma.

I'm not sure where to even begin with this one. I don't think you got a single thing correct in your sentence.

I'm mostly curious about the Armenians though. Did your ass maybe tell you why we hate Armenians so much? It seems very random.

2MF

You don't need to speak Swedish to live in Sweden. Life is nicer if you do speak it, but you can do just fine without it.

Here are country rankings of women in national parliaments in general (or equivalent) too if anyone is interested since it's somewhat on topic. http://archive.ipu.org/wmn-e/classif.htm

Top 50 as of September 2017.

1 Rwanda
2 Bolivia
3 Cuba
4 Iceland
5 Nicaragua
6 Sweden
7 Mexico
8 Finland
" South Africa
10 Senegal
11 Namibia
12 Mozambique
" Norway
14 Spain
15 France
16 Argentina
17 Ethiopia
18 Angola
19 Belgium
" Ecuador
21 Denmark
22 Germany
23 Slovenia
24 Burundi
" United Republic of Tanzania
26 Netherlands
27 Costa Rica
28 Portugal
29 Belarus
30 Serbia
31 Uganda
32 New Zealand
" The F.Y.R. of Macedonia
34 Grenada
35 Zimbabwe
36 Switzerland
37 Timor-Leste
38 Andorra
" El Salvador
40 United Kingdom
41 Guyana
42 Tunisia
43 Cameroon
44 Italy
" Trinidad and Tobago
46 Austria
47 Sudan
48 Nepal
49 Philippines
50 Australia

Madness

The Eurocentric patting on the back always irks me. Leading the way forward in what sense? You do know countries like India and Pakistan have elected women to the most powerful roles in government decaces before right? Argentina, Brazil etc. Plus, the current government in Norway is centre right and also slightly populist and ultranationalism is on the rise in all Scandinavian countries. You think Neo-Nazis marching in Charlottesville in the US is bad, google arson attacks in Sweden against refugee centres etc. And then finally, just electing women to all levels of government means what? That they will inherently run the country better just because they are women?

The Eurocentric patting on the back always irks me. Leading the way forward in what sense? You do know countries like India and Pakistan have elected women to the most powerful roles in government decaces before right? Argentina, Brazil etc. Plus, the current government in Norway is centre right and also slightly populist and ultranationalism is on the rise in all Scandinavian countries. You think Neo-Nazis marching in Charlottesville in the US is bad, google arson attacks in Sweden against refugee centres etc. And then finally, just electing women to all levels of government means what? That they will inherently run the country better just because they are women?

Global gender gap index 2016:

1. Iceland
2. Finland
3. Norway
4. Sweden
17. Denmark
33. Argentina
79. Brazil
87. India
143. Pakistan

Pakistan especially is horrible example of any gender equality with it being second worst country on the list.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Everything is racist. Atleast if you ask GAF.

And how does this even relate to topic at hand?
It doesn't.

1. Iceland
2. Finland
3. Norway
4. Sweden
17. Denmark
33. Argentina
79. Brazil
87. India
143. Pakistan

Pakistan especially is horrible example of any gender equality with it being second worst country on the list.
Maybe that's the point. That having women in positions of power is a good thing, but it's by no means the only metric to use to judge a country or culture's gender equality. Rwanda has the most female politicians in its parliament, but yeah, the condition of girls and women there is absolutely ghastly for many other reasons.

Maybe that was Madness' point? At least I hope so, and not a "neener neener Pakistan did it first" because... yeah.

The Eurocentric patting on the back always irks me. Leading the way forward in what sense? You do know countries like India and Pakistan have elected women to the most powerful roles in government decaces before right?
Well, the "news" here was that women had the 3 most important government positions at the same time, if you just want prime minister Gro Harlem Brundtland was the first female one in Norway in 1981. And I'd be rather hesitant to put forth Indira Gandhi and Benazir Bhutto as good examples of the advancement of women's access to political power as AFAIK both were rather unique in their country's history, and (both being daughters of earlier prime ministers) the result of a political culture and electorate that puts far more importance on a candidate's family rather than individual merit. Women from the right family getting to rule if there are no suitable male heirs is hardly a new thing.

Queen
Prime Minister Theresa May
Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon
Home Secretary Amber Rudd
Met Police Commissioner Cressida Dick

Some pretty big roles held by women in the UK. (Even as crappy as someone like May is though)

Merkel (Germany) is as powerful as it comes in Europe also.

Lol, not even close. Unless you count hating Islam. People are pretty chill about basically everything else.

Norway isn't a better country for having these female "leaders" by the way. We vote for Party and Platform, not for the individual. The leading parties happened to have women in top positions.

This is true but the previous election was basically a choice between Erna Solberg and Jonas Gahr Støre. The fact that party and politics is more important than gender is progressive when the choice was between a man and a woman.

This is true but the previous election was basically a choice between Erna Solberg and Jonas Gahr Støre and the fact that party and politics is more important than gender is progressive when the two choices are of different genders.

I guess it is. It just seems normal to me. I don't want these people to reflect or represent me or be my friend. I want them to enact the political platform i support. The leader is just the avatar of the party to me.

Gorger

Høyre is center-right and pretty liberal on social issues + probably the most EU-friendly party in Norway. They should not be put in the same basket as the far-right parties getting traction in Europe. I for one are glad we have a strong center-right party that dominates the far-right voices and keeps them checked in the backroom. Erna is definitely no fan of Trump.

Prez

What a nightmare.

Call me sexist but I always vote for women. I like to think the world would be a better place with only women in power.

Timbuktu

You don't need to speak Swedish to live in Sweden. Life is nicer if you do speak it, but you can do just fine without it.

But do they want you there? Anti immigration parties are pretty big in Nordic states. They are rich and good in lots of ways but not perfect.

But do they want you there? Anti immigration parties are pretty big in Nordic states. They are rich and good in lots of ways but not perfect.

Norway is still a much better environment for foreigners than in Denmark. Danske Folkeparti is in government there and that party hates foreigners. That party seems to be Danish UKIP.

Madness

1. Iceland
2. Finland
3. Norway
4. Sweden
17. Denmark
33. Argentina
79. Brazil
87. India
143. Pakistan

It doesn't.

Maybe that's the point. That having women in positions of power is a good thing, but it's by no means the only metric to use to judge a country or culture's gender equality. Rwanda has the most female politicians in its parliament, but yeah, the condition of girls and women there is absolutely ghastly for many other reasons.

Maybe that was Madness' point? At least I hope so, and not a "neener neener Pakistan did it first" because... yeah.

This. I would never in a million years say they were better for gender equality. Just the idea Scandinavian countries 'leading the world' for electing women leaders means they are inherently better when others have done it as well and seldom gotten the recognition.

Also, those countries at the top are highly advanced post industrial nations with high rates of literacy and education and respect for human rights. The others are developing countries which barely were even independent 70 years ago. 150 years ago Indians were burning widows alive on their husbands funeral pyre. Maybe 100 years from now they'll be higher on the list. Morrigan has a good point though,and I didn't want it to be a 'simpsons did it' point to take away.

One of the things I like about our government in Canada was Trudeaus promise to diversify and give equal representation in his government which we have seen.

Aren’t they still billions of dollars in debt?

Norway? lol where do you read this stuff? Norways "debt" is completely sustainable and responsibly managed. And we could pay it off completely except debt is not inherently bad for a nation.

I ain't gonna lie, some of the ignorance in this thread triggers me.

Anti immigration parties hate people they look down on, from the middle East and Africa etc. Because of racism, these people having high unemployment rates and the view of them being behind all crime.

If you come here from a western country not talking fluid swedish, they - and no one else - cares.

Top Bottom