• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obscure toys, shows, movies from your childhood

Mdk7

Hahahahahaha! Easy!

Let me introduce you to TURBO TEEN!
ZcTYikI.gif

WAT

Slayven

Bruce Coville is the shit. I read every single one of his books as a kid.

I remember all of this stuff, especially Robotix (I think my set is in my parents basement still)

Does anybody here remember Hypernauts? It was a live action saturday morning show that aired like 6 episodes before getting cancelled. It was a legit scifi drama for kids and it blew my mind as a kid. To this day, I've never found another person that has ever heard of it

Intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc81biphvxc
yes loved that show
and one remember the Heavy gear show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KQdl5k3y0E

GDGF

Soothsayer

It was a cartoon about a kid who transforms into a car when exposed to hot water and reverts to human form when exposed to cold water. He remains sentient in his car form. Hilarious stuff that rightfully didn't make it past 13 or so episodes. :D

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I also remember this one about some Northern European kids living in a small village in the mountains where all they did every goddamned day was waiting for Santa or something

Edit: oh yeah it was definitely Megaforce and I think I looked it up the last time a thread like this came around

vintage_kenner_mega_force_triax_xt_enforcer_2.jpg

One of the few toy ranges I collected as a kid, there was a time when it was pretty much the only thing I spent my pocket money on. The local Poundstretchers ( a chain of discount stores in the UK) sold them cheap as fuck as it was essentially the store that unsuccessful toy ranges went to die. They were selling each of the little packs of three die cast vehicles for less than £1.

This was the biggest thing from the range I owned, the Thorhammer.
thorhammer.jpg

I used to love the Krark Zoid. I was so proud that I learned how to take it apart and put it back together without the instructions. It was the only Christmas gift that I unwrapped early to see what it was, the rewrapped and pretended to be surprised on Christmas. Totally got away with it.

KRARK-ZOIDS-04.jpg

In first grade (1983), I was all about Crystar.

remcocrystar.jpg

I didn't know a single person who had even watched MUSCLE when I was a kid

I didn't know there was a cartoon but I had friends who had the Japanese language manga. I never knew if they could actually read it or just told me they could.

MUSCLES reminded me I had a few of these:

GheHSNP.png

Bought a few of the individual figures on the premise that I needed them for a school diorama.

This one was one of my favorites but I think I vaguely remember another toy line that was kind of similar with a sci-fi military theme and magnets, but on a smaller scale. I can't tell if I'm just misremembering Starcom though.

Edit: oh yeah it was definitely Megaforce and I think I looked it up the last time a thread like this came around

vintage_kenner_mega_force_triax_xt_enforcer_2.jpg

I never had any Mega Force stuff myself, but one of my best friends had basically every single piece in the set. Man, I remember going over to his house and we would play with those things for hours, he was crazy protective of them for some reason though. He also had that robot jox movie....dude had all the good shit.

For a very, very long time I would try to talk to people my age about Eerie, Indiana and no one knew what I was talking about.

Fortunately in the last few years it feels like people have remembered and found each other online because I see it come up a lot. I guess it doesn't count as much for this thread for that reason, but it feels like it was wiped from the public memory for a long time before returning.

Thankyou for this.
I had no idea i had forgotten this until now.

SDCowboy

What about Monster in my Pocket?

latest

I had a fair few of these as a kid. I liked the little snippets of background you got on each monster.

There is nothing obscure about Monster in my Pocket. They were a whole phenomenon (I still have a giant bag of them somewhere).

For a very, very long time I would try to talk to people my age about Eerie, Indiana and no one knew what I was talking about.

Fortunately in the last few years it feels like people have remembered and found each other online because I see it come up a lot. I guess it doesn't count as much for this thread for that reason, but it feels like it was wiped from the public memory for a long time before returning.

When I was a kid I wrote Eerie, Indiana fan fiction. I think that was the first and only time I've ever done that. During the summer my mom would give me creative writing assignments (she was a teacher) and instead I just decided to write my own episodes.

Sobriquet

Most obscure toy I had was probably Manglor Mountain. You dropped the Swamp Thing lookalike into the volcano, and a bunch of ooze would pour out. So metal.

manglor3.jpg

Manglors sucked. They advertised that you could pull the limbs off and they would stick back on and look good as new. So I pulled an arm off and was left with a one-armed "action" figure. 😢

Parch

I gotta admit I entered this thread expecting to think "that's not obscure" but at least 90% of the stuff in this thread I've never seen or even heard of. There is plenty of obscure in here, but that's probably because I've never had any kids of my own.

Not sure if anyone remembers this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=81&v=xUYesRQsDz8

I think the toys would interact with the show somehow but i might be misremembering...
Definitely remember that show. I only had one friend who actually had the toys but I was so jealous. 8-9 year old me thought it was the coolest idea he'd ever seen. I think your vehicles and armor would explode when you played against the tv

6e5d361f71eaef95391e1167584bd2a7--eye-logo-psychic-powers.jpg

This was one show that I loved. Only ever met one other person who had any idea what it was when I'd talk about it. I'd watch it after old Tom Baker Dr.Who episodes at night and hide under the couch cause I was so scared lol

Anyone remember The Third Eye on Nickelodeon?

hqdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKdvIyPopMY
Holy shit. Hahaha four minutes apart

Top Bottom