• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Fuchsdh

Worst delay I've been in was last summer where it took 40 minutes to get from Lafayette to Hoyt on the C. Wasn't crazy hot but the worst part was the constant "we'll be moving in a few minutes" bullshit they kept saying.

Jhoan

So yesterday my wife and I took the train into Manhattan and walked from the Battery up to 110th on the East Side and up to 145th/Hamilton Heights. I hadn't been to Spanish Harlem since I was a kid and it was weird to realize that despite all the "it's so dangerous there" advice I got when looking at neighborhoods it looks no worse than my Brooklyn neighborhood (although without the benefit of great train options.)

If the weather stays nice we might do the west side soon as well.

Also, we had some of my wife's literary friends stay with us over the weekend, which cemented the realization that some people just are not equipped to handle big cities. One of the women kept asking loudly to pet everyone's dog and wondering aloud why places smelled like weed or people were sitting in their cars (waiting for drugs.) And then she freaked out when she saw a palmetto bug near her jacket and physically left the jacket with us because she was so horrified by a bug.
How funny, I was at Off The Grid on 143rd and Broadway for a date last Friday and in the area working at City College. I'm around the 137th area from time to time because that's where the office is for the website that I write for (it operates out of an apartment in true startup fashion). If you come up to The Heights, I would be more than happy to hit you with a bunch of recommendations. Notably the Little Red Lighthouse near me; the Morris Jumel Mansion; Fort Tryon Park/The Cloisters (obligatory); and Inwood Park. There's a bunch cool restaurants and bars as well.

FYI there's a cool beer garden on 133rd and 12th across the street from a Fairway if you're ever around there again.
Man, these poor people.

Sweet Jesus! Ah so that was what Penguin and fallengorn were talking about in the Discord chat. One of the worst experiences I had with the MTA was when a train car on the Brooklyn bound A on the 181st stop started smoking about 1-2 years ago and we had to leave the station to take a shuttle bus to 168th.

On another note, I know there hasn't been much of an update on the next GAF meet up. That's my fault because I've had a few things on my plate. We can still keep it for the 17th and keep it small or move it up to July/August. I'm leaning towards staying in the city as opposed to going away to the DR with my mom and bro for a month. They bought their tickets so she's waiting on me to decide. Still not sure.

That being said, I want to get an idea as to who's going to be at the Union Square E3 experience next Monday night so we can get something going beforehand. So far, the regulars going include Penguin, Kanik, Shinogu, and I believe there's a few others going including Fimbultevr as well some peeps in the Refresh GAF doc. I'll see to being the Professor X and gathering them up.

Fuchsdh

How funny, I was at Off The Grid on 143rd and Broadway for a date last Friday and in the area working at City College. I'm around the 137th area from time to time because that's where the office is for the website that I write for (it operates out of an apartment in true startup fashion). If you come up to The Heights, I would be more than happy to hit you with a bunch of recommendations. Notably the Little Red Lighthouse near me; the Morris Jumel Mansion; Fort Tryon Park/The Cloisters (obligatory); and Inwood Park. There's a bunch cool restaurants and bars as well.

FYI there's a cool beer garden on 133rd and 12th across the street from a Fairway if you're ever around there again.

We hit up the Cloisters last summer, but since my wife is going to be taking grad classes at City College I'll definitely be up that way more often, so I'll keep those recommendations in mind. Thanks!

Since this winter I've been using Fog of World to actually start keeping track of where I've been in the city. Adds a little more pavlovian fun to checking out streets I haven't been down and taking detours.

VhFP8TH.jpg

Jhoan

I'm volunteering at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden's Spring Gala. I'm manning one of the butterfly puppets. This is gonna be so much fun and surreal! I haven't been back here since September. It looks different today just as it did when I visited during the winter and late summer.

Jhoan

Looks like I might be moving again. How bad is Crown Heights?
I dated a girl that lived near the Franklin Avenue 2/3 stop. It didn't seem too bad but then again, I'm not the best source so someone else can answer that. I know crime is bad in spots in that area and loads of Australians live there but do your homework.

I dated a girl that lived near the Franklin Avenue 2/3 stop. It didn't seem too bad but then again, I'm not the best source so someone else can answer that. I know crime is bad in spots in that area and loads of Australians live there but do your homework.
Well I won't know where until I start checking places out. This is what happens when nobody does what the fuck they are supposed to do.

Fuchsdh

Though it depends where you want to go, I'd recommend looking for housing closer to the A/C than the 2/3/4—it's a much faster train in general. Stuff gets dicier (and cheaper) east of Utica heading into Ocean Hill.

I will cross that bridge when I get to it. I think...I have my next roommates nailed down so I don't have to deal with this search shit no more so as long as they apply tomorrow and get approved I can go back to chilling out a little bit. I know for one thing rules are being discussed with the next roommates. Nevermind got to keep on searching again. I hate this shit.

Though it depends where you want to go, I'd recommend looking for housing closer to the A/C than the 2/3/4—it's a much faster train in general. Stuff gets dicier (and cheaper) east of Utica heading into Ocean Hill.
It's by Utica Ave, hopefully that's not a get your ass shot for your camera gear area.

As long as you keep your wits about you and are not running around quiet streets late at night, you're going to be fine.
I usually try to get home by 11 at the latest, I'm a pretty indoors person. Flatbush treated my fine. I'll figure it out after I eventually see the area.

Jhoan

As long as you keep your wits about you and are not running around quiet streets late at night, you're going to be fine.
This got a good chuckle out of me. Can you imagine? JadedWriter: Vigilante Photographer. By day he works at CUNY, by night he stalks the mean streets of Brooklyn looking for illicit activity to photograph and anonymously submits it to the NYPD.

The Brooklyn Botanic Garden's Spring Gala and Afterparty was quite fun. It was probably one the most fanciest parties I've ever been to firsthand and I wouldn't be able to afford the price of admission! I ended up hauling back a pot that had a mixture of lavender, mint and other flowers. My mom loved it.

I intend to return to that area again soon because I miss it. Definitely for Target First Saturday because I've never been and have been meaning to go one. If it's alone or in company, it doesn't matter.

Which end of Utica? Like closer to the 3/4 or the A/C line?
I think it's a 15 minute walk from the A line, I believe it's Sterling Plaza. I'm also trying to see if I could land something in Bushwick. Who knows how that goes.
This got a good chuckle out of me. Can you imagine? JadedWriter: Vigilante Photographer. By day he works at CUNY, by night he stalks the mean streets of Brooklyn looking for illicit activity to photograph and anonymously submits it to the NYPD.
I don't take my camera out while I'm walking around in Brooklyn so that ain't happening.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
anyone like The Flop House podcast here?

buddy bailed on me, so i may have an extra ticket to the live show tonight at the bell house in bklyn

Jhoan

anyone like The Flop House podcast here?

buddy bailed on me, so i may have an extra ticket to the live show tonight at the bell house in bklyn

Not familiar with it. Will have to check it out but I would have joined you if I didn't have a date scheduled for tonight at 8:30pm. I know that's where Risk! also does their live shows at as well.

Also you might have wanted to bail out because Society of Illustrators' The Art of Spider-Man opening reception is tonight: https://www.societyillustrators.org/events/art-spider-man-opening-reception

Well I'm moving to Rogers Ave...which is like a couple of minutes from where I already am. Life if anybody has van that could help me move my bed and tv that would be great. I think I can walk over the bulk of my other shit though.

Jhoan

Man, I made the huge mistake of taking the bus from 86th and Columbus. It's 94 degrees and I need to meet with a date at 54th and Broadway at 6pm. All because I want to get dollar pizza beforehand. Bad idea all around.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
NYPD will begin issuing civil tickets rather than criminal summonses for public drinking and urination.

ACE 1991

Anyone been to the new Brooklyn Steel venue? Got incredibly lucky and managed to score LCD Soundsystem tickets this for the Saturday show, so it looks I'll be making the drive to Philly.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
NYPD will begin issuing civil tickets rather than criminal summonses for public drinking and urination.

I thought we were allowed to drink in public nowadays?

Edit: Nope, apparently just no longer criminal. I'll risk the $25 fine, thank you very much.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
How the hell do I move a small room two blocks without going broke? I can walk over a lot of shit, but my bed and tv are the problem.

Man with a van? I have friends who used them to move stuff like this without incident. I think they are best used when you have just a few things to move rather than a whole apt.

dickroach

Anyone been to the new Brooklyn Steel venue? Got incredibly lucky and managed to score LCD Soundsystem tickets this for the Saturday show, so it looks I'll be making the drive to Philly.

ya, it's a big fucking industrial space with a couple of bars and a good sound system. nothing to write home about.
get there early if you want to be able so see the stage at all and you're not 6'6"

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Dekalb market is open. Went yesterday. Ate too much. Delicious. Cool spot.
Will probably check it out this week. I was surprised Lioni has an outpost there. It's one of the few places left in Bensonhurst that is worth checking out. Wonder if the portions are still the same though. A hero will easily set you up for lunch and dinner.

Top Bottom