• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT2| You're thinking how much you want to **** this game aren't you?

Hektor

So beautiful i want to cry ;_;

DHlOdmzXcAA_frg.jpg
DHlOhSYXsAAuTUD.jpg
DHlQmCqXgAAK278.jpg

Here it plays music
https://twitter.com/DasHektor/status/898837775125970944

^ That is awesome. I really need to look into one of those intermediary services to get stuff from the Japanese Squeenix store.

Wow, did they ever nerf the fishing experience.

I have just a few fish left for the trophy in Gestalt and I want to die.

Like, you sit there for probably 15 minutes and the slightest fuckup wrecks the entire thing.

ZKWHNJZl.png

giphy.gif

just kidding ilu yoko-san

peter0611

Expository dialogue dumps in the middle of high intensity anime battles is a shitty story telling method.

Didn't find any issue with it, especially with the subtitles being there.

I disagree with it being a poor story telling method, but it was hard for me to pay attention to the subs on screen while engaged in combat. I definitely wasn't able to glean much of the discussion in my first playthrough. It just may be a case where the execution is better when setting the audio to your native language.

Soar

I usually can't stand those types of expositions in anime like dragonball etc but I found them to be sufficiently succinct in NierA.

I can definitely understand it not working for everyone, but I actually find that specific thing to be one of the most endearing oddities about Japanese games like this.

cLOUDo

What is the recommended level (and strategy)
for emil's boss
?
I'm currently level 81

My first attempt was in level 5x,the guy destroys me xD

What is the recommended level (and strategy)
for emil's boss
?
I'm currently level 81

My first attempt was in level 5x,the guy destroys me xD

I first did it at level 82-83, but I used a LOT of healing items and almost died a lot. It's doable with good chips and a level 4 weapon (preferably with Crit+).

Second time playing the game I did it at 99 and it was much easier, lol.

Are you doing the
first or second fight?

cLOUDo

I first did it at level 82-83, but I used a LOT of healing items and almost died a lot. It's doable with good chips and a level 4 weapon (preferably with Crit+).

Second time playing the game I did it at 99 and it was much easier, lol.

Are you doing the
first or second fight?

There is a 2nd fight? Lol

I'm in the
second walkthrough with 9s,i did the emil's quest.
He says there is somebody stealing from his house

There is a 2nd fight? Lol

I'm in the
second walkthrough with 9s,i did the emil's quest.
He says there is somebody stealing from his house

Yeah the
second requires all weapons found and upgraded to max.

The one near his house is really hard solely because of the tight space and him filling the whole area with bullets. Constant Pod fire helps, heal after any damage taken (I had a full stock of all 3 recoveries), there's a few chips that might help like the one that slows down time when you're near a bullet (forgot the name). Probably Ranged Defense Up and HP Up would be good ideas, too.

Bahah

Edit: just finished route A. Can't stop now. About how much time to complete all endings? Does anyone have that spoiler free timeline graphic handy?

Wondering if I can wrap it up before Mario Rabbids comes out.

Also, should I turn trophies on? I feel like I remember reading some of the trophies are creative or something.

Soar

Endings A through E will take you about 25-40 hours total, depending if you work on the side quests and explore. Trophies are fun to hunt for, at least on PSN.

Is there a fast travel system in this? Game is dropping a hefty amount of side quests on me now, but I'm not bothering with them if I'm forced to run through these vast (but boring) environments to get to them.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Is there a fast travel system in this? Game is dropping a hefty amount of side quests on me now, but I'm not bothering with them if I'm forced to run through these vast (but boring) environments to get to them.

just keep playing :) just when i was starting to get tired of running everywhere i unlocked it.

just keep playing :) just when i was starting to get tired of running everywhere i unlocked it.

Thanks. I just
fought a giant robot in the city ruins and now there's a crater in the ground I'm supposed to explore.
Is there much longer to go before it's unlocked?

I'm playing this on the PS4 pro and I occasionally get moments during gameplay where the screen goes black for a few seconds before returning to normal. Anyone else had this issue?

Jingo

About the dlc, dont buy it unless you are the most hardcore nier fan, i loved the game but the dlc is a ripoff, almost 15 dollars for a new mission equivalent, its not worth in my opinion, i finished it in 3 hours and i couldnt believe i spent my money on it, the dlc had his moments, but at 7 dollars would been more fair and still very well priced.

I'm playing this on the PS4 pro and I occasionally get moments during gameplay where the screen goes black for a few seconds before returning to normal. Anyone else had this issue?

Assuming it's the entire display cutting out for a few moments, it's more than likely an HDMI handshaking issue between the PS4 and your TV. Might be worth unplugging/replugging both ends, trying a different input, a different HDMI cable, etc.

I'm a couple hours into route b (just completed the desert) and feel like everything is basically the same outside of the new mechanic. I thought this was supposed to be significantly shorter and different than route a...is it?

I'm definitely not trying to grind out the whole game again.

LotusHD

Banned
I'm a couple hours into route b and feel like everything is basically the same outside of the new mechanic. I thought this was supposed to be significantly shorter and different than route a...is it?

I'm definitely not trying to grind out the whole game again.

It's shorter because hacking is OP, and you know what to do and what not. And you'll see where the differences lie eventually.

It's shorter because hacking is OP, and you know what to do and what not. And you'll see where the differences lie eventually.

Gotcha thanks. I do enjoy the additional perspective.

A
re the only control for hacking using the left stick to move and r1 to shoot?

emag

Route B is arguably the lowest part of the game as it recycles so much of route A, but you can rush through it in about 5 hours (skipping sidequests and relying on hacking in combat). Route C is entirely new content.

You aim with the right stick.

Whoops, I did know this. Twin stick shooter instincts kicked in right away.

Route B is arguably the lowest part of the game as it recycles so much of route A, but you can rush through it in about 5 hours (skipping sidequests and relying on hacking in combat). Route C is entirely new content.

I'm blasting through B right now, but might end up burnt by doing so. Especially with Mario Rabbids coming next week. We'll see.

One route b is complete, how long to see the rest of the game?

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Whoops, I did know this. Twin stick shooter instincts kicked in right away.

I'm blasting through B right now, but might end up burnt by doing so. Especially with Mario Rabbids coming next week. We'll see.

One route b is complete, how long to see the rest of the game?

Similar to Route A but with less sidequests

Hours wise C may be similar to A (depending on how many sidequests you did) but man did I blow through C fast. Just grind through B and just start C. Then decide if you want to continue.

On a separate note %10 left on fishing until I %100 everything. Soooo close.

That's for clarification regarding the routes. I think I'm gonna let the game cool off for a bit and return to do other routes. I don't want my positive impression to sour because I'm treating the game like a job to get through.

just finished route A and i'm really disappointed in how short it is. From my experience of nier 1 I expect i'll be replying the same content with just new cutscenes and dialog.

I did a reasonable amount of sidequests but even still. You spend most of the time running around and the story you get is paper thin and then ends with oh we did it. I hope the other endings go into more detail about literally everything.

LotusHD

Banned
just finished route A and i'm really disappointed in how short it is. From my experience of nier 1 I expect i'll be replying the same content with just new cutscenes and dialog.

I did a reasonable amount of sidequests but even still. You spend most of the time running around and the story you get is paper thin and then ends with oh we did it. I hope the other endings go into more detail about literally everything.

Well... keep playing.

hmmmmmmm :thinking:
does the game get harder on route b or do the enemies go back to being low level? should I change to hard?
change to hard, levels increase but the game stays easy

LotusHD

Banned
does the game get harder on route b or do the enemies go back to being low level? should I change to hard?

They should scale with you if I recall correctly.

As for changing it to Hard, eh... I wouldn't recommend it. I mean, feel free to try it for yourself, but changing the difficulty just made it not very fun. Instead of it being an engaging challenge, the enemies do way too much damage, with some even killing you in one hit, and the effort you'd have to put in to increase your defenses and such is not worth it imo

But yea, the game does get harder up throughout Route C, it's just that at the same time, it's incredibly easy to come out overpowered, whether through overleveling, or using chips that are just way too good.

They should scale with you if I recall correctly.

As for changing it to Hard, eh... I wouldn't recommend it. I mean, feel free to try it for yourself, but changing the difficulty just made it not very fun. Instead of it being an engaging challenge, the enemies do way too much damage, with some even killing you in one hit, and the effort you'd have to put in to increase your defenses and such is not worth it imo
I wasnt really getting hit, I enjoyed having enemies I could juggle a little longer

midramble

And as of tonight I've %100 percent everything. Platinum trophy with no trophy purchases. All intel categories (including all fish, units and everything else).

Now to redo E the right way. I'll try without help this time too.

Was a wild ride. Spent the last hour getting the last trophy listening to the final E ending song on the jukebox.

With all its quirks, I'm glad the nier games made it into my life.

blamite

Currently wrapping up getting all endings/platinum trophy, just wanted to make sure that there isn't anything that's permanently missable
even using chapter select? I'm going for ending Y not specifically, which apparently requires max upgrading all weapons.

I still have two weapons I need to buy from Emil (that I just haven't been able to get him to sell by the way, and does the route I'm currently on matter for that? I've been on one of the early 9S parts of Route C and I've just never seen those weapons for sale) and I know there's one weapon you get by fighting him, am I correct in assuming that's the fight for breaking into his house and that I can do that, fully upgrade everything, and then do a different Emil fight at Level 99 for ending Y? I assume I can do that first fight without locking off the weapons he sells?

redfox088

Banned
Just finished route E. Mjght be my game of the year. I've played most of the contenders to completion too. (Save PuBG)

midramble

Currently wrapping up getting all endings/platinum trophy, just wanted to make sure that there isn't anything that's permanently missable
even using chapter select? I'm going for ending Y not specifically, which apparently requires max upgrading all weapons.

I still have two weapons I need to buy from Emil (that I just haven't been able to get him to sell by the way, and does the route I'm currently on matter for that? I've been on one of the early 9S parts of Route C and I've just never seen those weapons for sale) and I know there's one weapon you get by fighting him, am I correct in assuming that's the fight for breaking into his house and that I can do that, fully upgrade everything, and then do a different Emil fight at Level 99 for ending Y? I assume I can do that first fight without locking off the weapons he sells?

Nothing is missable.
Emil shop is randomized after you transport. He'll be in different areas/have different music. He also sells rare materials when playing fast music.
For his first fight you only need to do the conversation about where he lives, go there,
steal one thing, talk to him again, go back, steel the other thing, and he fights you on the way out. The 100% all weapons is for the second fight that gives you the y ending.
Make sure you do his fight twice to get the y ending and get the quest ending.
(got to kill the exploding head to get the quest ending). Even after that fight you can still buy from him during chapter select.

You also going for 100% fish/unit/intel and everything else?

A tip on fishing, you can use any button to cast/reel. Also the dunk isn't the only signal you have a fish. When watching the lure move slowly, if you ever notice it completely stop (not the quick dunk that also stops temporarily) or move in the other direction, you can lure in because you have a fish. Sped up my fishing completion a bit. Also if you are using the wiki, the arowana machine is much easier to catch in the king of the valley ravine under the rope bridge.

Top Bottom