• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA's on a roll!: New PvZ 2 update

LuchaShaq

Banned
Honestly your own fault for downloading an EA game.

Anyone who spends time or money on EA products and finds bug riddled crap with shitty micro should have been smart enough to pass the game over.

Buying an EA game is like going to give a pack of starving wolves a hug with bloody steaks taped around every limb.

Not just a game, a virtual beggar. An amazing trend. EA is quickly giving in to the dark side. I can only imagine the one pathetic design flaw they try to push into TitanFall and Dragon Age 3.

FyreWulff

What.

.. what.

If it was because people were getting by without paying anything, just start charging for the goddamn base game and stop it with this pay to play bullshit.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Not just a game, a virtual beggar. An amazing trend. EA is quickly giving in to the dark side. I can only imagine the one pathetic design flaw they try to push into TitanFall and Dragon Age 3.

If you don't think Titanfall is going to be a crashy on fire mess for 2 months I feel bad for your wallet.

Omikaru

It's one thing to make a game with this money-grubbing shit in it in the first place, and it's another to break the game post-release. Both are shitty, but this one is extra evil.

Just don't support EA. Awful company.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm surprised at how quickly people forgot about the whole Spore fiasco

Speaking of Spore, last year it took two months for EA to fix Darkspore server issues that rendered the game unplayable. In a humorous turn of events, EA's inaction lead to a moderator on the official forums putting up a notice stating that the game had been abandoned/retired, however this was rather promptly removed by a Maxis employee who stated the connectivity problems were being worked on. I can't help but wonder if the mod was shown the door.

FyreWulff

seriously!

Yeah, I'm just deleting the game now. I was considering just not updating it, but playing it will still give them telemetry hits and let them show ads.

When they remove this shit and decide to just charge for the game outright, I'll come back.

The worst part is that my cousin will spend his parents money on new lawnmowers every level...

It hurts my brain knowing their strategy eill effectively "work" to some extent

Nicktendo86

Updated the game on my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 with no idea about what it entailed as the last update was really good, fuck that lawnmower thing will basically break the game for me. Thanks EA.

Brashnir

Yeah, excuse me for being level-headed and not sensationalist.

Monetization strategy is the least of PvZ2's issues. The game isn't very fun at its core.

And yet the original game was fun at its core when it didn't have this monetization crap in it.

This stuff rots away at the core of games. That's the problem.

Seriously, if EA wouldn't have Titanfall right now, would there be anything positive coming from them?

Bioware still makes great games when they're allowed to.

Really, as a huge fan of RPGs, Bioware is EA's last albatross around my neck, and even then they manage to almost make Bioware dead for me after DA2 and ME3's ending. But ME3 was fun aside from that fact alone, so it's like... okay, one more chance... and then I realise I'm giving EA money when I say that, and I feel dirty.

Thankfully I'm not big on FPSes, so it doesn't bother me to not decide to buy them. And by not supporting EA-Titanfall, I'm hopefully sending a message to Respawn to not continue their EA partnership and find a separate publisher for TF2.

x-Lundz-x

Is this the same version that is also an XB1 exclusive?

No that is PvZ: Garden Warfare

I'm glad I beat the game already and did it not spending a dime. It was tough but I did it. The thing with the lawnmowers having to be purchased now? That is scandalous. What happened to you PopCap? Did EA really destroy you???

Naminator

Banned
LMAO this is so fucked up!

I literally just downloaded PvZ2 yesterday night to try to see how good the game is(Im not a mobile gamer) and it seems like I was just in time for the bullshit, kinda like with "singing monsters" I downloaded right after the update that slowed the entire process up just like this one.

Seems like I just don't have any luck with mobile games, the only ones that I really liked was the Cartoon Wars and Battleheart(I think this is like the best mobile game ever created :) and I can't wait for Battleheart Legacy ) and Cut the Rope is pretty cool too I guess.

Microtransaction mobile games really need a "Look, I'll pay you this much to act like a real, normal videogame, if you never ask me for money again" button. The problem is, they want that long tail, they want those occasional goofballs who spend $100 on gems (or crate keys) multiple times over. That's the only audience they see anymore.

Zeth

Wha what?! Kind of glad I have auto-updates off on my iPad at least. The game is fairly solid outside of this type of bullshit.

The lawn mower change made me delete the app forever.

Oh well. It was the first ea thing I played since boom blox. I'll be fine continuing to ignore them.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm grateful we'll always have the original PvZ, unsullied by EA's bullshit.

Yeah. I was so hyped for PvZ2 and then EA had to go and ruin it, didn't even give it a download when it came out after I found out about the F2P shit. I really wish EA never bought Popcap.

CREMSteve

I was really enjoying this game before they updated it and made it impossible to beat some levels without using powers. I'm not a fan of it anymore.

Goddamn I cannot wait for this F2P (yeah fucking right) idea to collapse. This is just not sustainable for a business, it's just a flash in the pan money making scheme that will die when the IP gets tiresome or loaded with bullshit.

wapplew

Goddamn I cannot wait for this F2P (yeah fucking right) idea to collapse. This is just not sustainable for a business, it's just a flash in the pan money making scheme that will die when the IP gets tiresome or loaded with bullshit.

I'm waiting some sort of regulation on such practice. Come on America, you guys can sue everything, lets bring this to court or congress .

Malio

Quick, somebody post that link of the EA mouthpiece saying they take all those "Worst Company in America comments to heart, and they want to be the Best Company in America!

I'm not even sure what deleting the game (if you've downloaded it) will do, in terms of sending a message. Because it's F2P, you pretty much just become one of the many people who companies like this account for, the type that downloads something free, plays for a few minutes, then deletes it in search for the next thing. If you aren't in that essential 'pay' group, you don't matter. I mean, why spend time and money making a game better gameplay-wise to attract you back (the 'nonpaying/traditional' group) when there is huge profit guaranteed to be made from the 2-10% of the hundreds/thousands/millions in the potential player base who will pay like an addict for whatever Pavlovian mechanic you throw at them?

Ennoia

Banned
Replace ™ with EA in this reply.

Ha, in China exclusive™ version of Plants vs. Zombies 2™, we Chinese players almost never spend coins™ at all, instead of coins™, we need to spend diamonds™ to use any kind of special powers™, and there's no way to gain diamonds™ in game, they are IAP™.

In addition, 98% of plants™ in China exclusive™ version cannot be unlocked™ by beating levels, you need to grinding™ for puzzle pieces™, which only randomly dropped™ from yeti zombie™ level, and the only application of coins™ is to summon yeti zombies™ five times a day, not all yeti zombie™ drop™ puzzle pieces™, if you are lucky™ enough, you can unlock one of those important plants like Bloomerang, Bonk Choy or Snapdragon in a week, if not, just git gud™ for months.

The most mind blown part is the way to unlock Cherry Bomb™, imagine in a version which most plants are locked™ almost forever for players, how important such killing machine is: you can never unlock it unless you paid ¥68≈$11.

And these are all from the launch of PvZ2 in China, with every patch updated, they just become more and more greedy.

Some day, my foreign friends, all rivers will run into the same sea, this is the future of mobile gaming.

SeanR1221

This is the most fucking disgusting thing I've read yet. Wow. And I actually liked the original version and played it a lot. The second update annoyed me because they made it significantly harder and now this? I'm deleting it.

Top Bottom