• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Gaf fall in - what's your history with the system?

I use an XRGB2-plus since I dont have space for an additional TV. Been pretty pleased with it since I got. So pleased that I am thinking of upgrading to the Framemeister.

mis_XRGB2PLUS.jpg

IMG_00014.jpg

Wow that looks great! Always wondered how much of a difference one of those boxes made.

Have you tried it with a N64 or is it more for 2D gaming?

brainpann

Wow that looks great! Always wondered how much of a difference one of those boxes made.

Have you tried it with a N64 or is it more for 2D gaming?

I generally use it for my SNES,Genesis, N64, PSX, Saturn, and pretty much any sub-6th generation console, especially those capable of RGB out. There is a difference with the 3D games but it really shines on the 2D ones.

char0n

SNES was my first "day 1" console: I actually got it Christmas 91 (too young to buy it for myself) but all my consoles before that were inherited/actually computers except the NES which I asked for after playing it at a friends house years after it actually came out. SMW + F-Zero was the best christmas ever, and my parents knew I'd disappear away from the living room to the family room where the TV was so they actually brought in a little TV for me to play by the christmas tree. It probably still is my favorite console to date (with Dreamcast as a close second then PS2 as a close third) with games I'll still do full runthroughs of once a year or two including SMW, Super Metroid, and LoZ: LttP. It also had Chrono Trigger and FF6 which are still my favorite RPGs to this day (though I don't have the time to play them properly anymore), and the close-enough-to-arcade versions of Street Fighter 2 and MK2 which fully ignited my love of fighting games. I also remember Star Fox blowing my mind... It also was a period of mindblowingly good game music that I can still play in my head clearly as if I were playing the games right now. I had always played a good amount of videogames before it, but the SNES was the nail in the coffin making it my primary preferred hobby.

Erdrick

Hmm... I think it was 21 years ago to the day today that I first played a SNES. I believe I convinced my mother to rent one for me for the weekend with Super Mario World and I think... F-Zero?

How time flies...

Got the SNES after the first Holiday season. I already had the TurboGrafx 16 (great system that needed more support/love), NES, Gameboy, and Atari 2600.

SNES was amazing though. I remembered being blown away by the system. I ended up with a ton of games for it and it's still one of my favorite systems. I wish the 3DS VC would get SNES games and I would throw my money at Nintendo. One of the best and deepest libraries of games ever.

After listening to 8-4's SNES retrospective episode I couldn't help but feel super nostalgic about my time with the system. That particular time frame is still a little foggy since I can't remember what I got first, my Sega Genesis or my SNES. I do remember having the SEGA Channel around the time it was introduced - I can still recall my brother and I weighing the pro's and con's to my dad about getting the service instead of constantly renting games from blockbuster.

Anyway, not sure why but I've recently been looking to retro titles now that the Wii U is soon to come out. I've sold my 360 and my PS3, and have decided to become a Nintendo exclusive home (with the exception of PC games which I'm still deeply invested in -- hoping to play some Dishonored later this morning).

So I'm doing a retro countdown sorta thing; I've already finished Super Metroid, Super Mario World (well, still trying to get through the SPECIAL stages), and Dracula X. I've also tried my hand at a few games I never got a chance to spend time with before: like Clocktower, for instance.

Angelcurio

I remember that by that time, my dad didn't have enough money to buy me one, but there was a store that was accepting the NES as a trade in. Most of my best gaming memories rest with the SNES, since it gave me such games as MMX2, introduced me to the RPG genre which i love up to this day, and gave me my favorite game of all time, FF VI.

I still remember that i used to visit the arcade to play SF Alpha, and was surprised by it's graphics, and all of a sudden there was a SFA2 released on SNES, something we thought that was impossible due the limits of the console. We played it for years.

I really want an XRGB-(anything), but the price is more than the cost of the TV I would be putting it on... I have a hard time getting over that mental hurdle, otherwise I would bite!

RedSwirl

Anyone have their cartridge batteries run out yet? I still have NES saves that still work, but I'm kind of wondering just how long these things will last.

Link to the Past battery has been dead for a while. With that in mind, I have no idea how my Super Mario World save is still there. It's probably the oldest save file I still have for any game.

shink

First memory that popped into my head was playing Pokemon Red on SNES and my sister painting/decorating the screen with her controller.

RedSwirl

Jesus. Just reminded myself how shitty I am at Final Fight. Really wanna pick up Final Fight 2 and 3 though. Looking this up also reminds me how much the US SNES version of Final Fight was gimped. Do I need to get that PSN version?

Tr4nce

I already owned a NES back in the day. But it was all new to me as well as to the industry so I didn't know that Nintendo and Sega would come up with new systems. Then one day I was sitting somewhere with my mother, I believe it was a doctor's waiting room. And I picked up this magazine, read a few pages and BAM: a picture of the upcoming new Super Nintendo. I couldn't believe it. It looked so great (this is the European version talking I'm talking about. I was mesmerized. I had to have it. There was no Internet then ofcourse, so actually finding out about stuff like this was very nice.

Then some time later, I was taking a walk with a friend of mine through our neighbourhood, being the little boys we were back then. It was a beautiful day. Then we walked into a street where a couple of the older boys from the same neighbourhood lived, and usually also come together in a certain house. We walked past this house and I don't know why but I guess someone came out (or left) that house and told us: 'have you seen it???!! Street fighter II on Super Nintendo! It's amazing!' So we just walked inside and I will never forget the first time I saw the SNES in real life and Street Fighter II'. It was so beautiful. The graphics, the sound, the music, the colors, the gameplay. It was so different from NES. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Yeah, good old times. SNES is one of the greatest consoles ever IMO. A great library, and overall a great console. I will never forget that day.

Prez

I'm buying a SNES soon. Anything I should know? How can I be sure the system and controller are in good condition?

Also has anyone with a PAL SNES done the 60HZ mod (this one, not the switchless one)? I'll be doing this and I wonder if Super Metroid, Yoshi's Island and Zelda: ALTTP work fine with this mod. Those are the only games I want to play.

I don't know what got into my head last night exactly, but I had the sudden urge to play some Killer Instinct. And boy did the memories start flooding back. I was never good at it, or any fighting game really, but I remember being blown away by the visuals back in the day. Which is kind of a funny thing to say today, but actually the graphics still have a certain charm to them.

I should be receiving my copy of F-Zero I bought off ebay any time now. Maybe even tomorrow.. I plan on playing the shit out of it all weekend. Can't wait.

So I was browsing ebay and found an Earthbound "For Display Only" box(not the big box) and I immediately purchased it since it was pretty cheap haha.

I googled it and noticed people have been doing reproductions of it, however it doesn't look like a reproduction. Just checked another seller on ebay and they are selling dozens of them and they look rather cheesy.

The seller I purchased from only had one. What do you guys think?

Edit: Actually, why would it have the plastic warp for the game if it's just a display box, unless they are just being generous. Grrr haha.

$_3.JPG

My story with the SNES is a passionate love story right out of a romance story. By then my love of videogames had been going on for nearly a decade, and the NES had been something out of a dream for someone used to first-generation 8-bit micros. Pictures of the incredible games of the SNES were common in magazines, both imported and local, for many years before the actual console was released in Spain, which was actually quite late, during 1992. Super Mario World seemed like an impossible game, the kind of which you dream of but can't exist in reality. For a while considered importing one, which back then was super expensive (and more so on my teenager allowance, of course; it would mean a couple years of saving), but thinking of importing the games also made me realize it would not be practical.

I started saving up my allowance for one even before an official date was set for Spain. The last few months leading up to its release were almost torture. I bought it the very day it was released, of course. But even then I could not possibly imagine the kind of heights it would lead me to. After all, I didn't even know of Final Fantasy of Squaresoft back then (no Square games were officially released in Spain until almost the PSX era, although I discovered Final Fantasy IV thanks to an import shop), my only RPG had been Phantasy Star II (also an import), and so on.

Truly a golden age of gaming in my opinion, and the one system and games I loved most in my entire life.

Oh my the memories... Chrono Trigger, Street Fighter 2, Donkey Kong Country series, Super Punch-Out, anything with Mario in the name. That console is what got me addicted to videogames.

final fantasy mystic quest and super mario world

coolest Christmas ever

besides og game boy links awakening combo the year before

-KRS-

So I was browsing ebay and found an Earthbound "For Display Only" box(not the big box) and I immediately purchased it since it was pretty cheap haha.

I googled it and noticed people have been doing reproductions of it, however it doesn't look like a reproduction. Just checked another seller on ebay and they are selling dozens of them and they look rather cheesy.

Edit: Actually, why would it have the plastic warp for the game if it's just a display box, unless they are just being generous. Grrr haha.

$_3.JPG

I have this box too, and the printing does look a little worse than on actual SNES boxes. Like it's a little blurrier than normal. But I think that's just a result of the box not being meant to be purchased. I don't doubt that people have tried to reproduce it though, with Earthbound being such a saught-after game. I got mine in 2008.

I actually asked here in the SNES collector thread about it and none other than Chris Kohler answered and explained that they were simply boxes that would sit on shelves in stores where customers could pick out the games they wanted to buy, and they'd get the real box. He also said they weren't that expensive. There are also For Display Only boxes for other games, such as Yoshi's Island. So they are real.

Joni

I absolutely loved it. It was my first system and it got me into gaming. It is however time to say goodbye to it. I have decided to start selling off parts of my collection.

neoemonk

Super NES. So many hours put into this thing.

It came out when I was 13 or so. Super Mario World, Actraiser. Final Fantasy II (IV) was something special back then. I remember wondering where the Dragon Warrior games were for the system.

When I finally got Street Fighter II I poured hours into that game alone. It was such a huge deal for me to be able to play that in my house.

Zelda III. That's what I used to call it. I must have played through it ten times.

There were a lot more games but those were the ones that stick out the most to me. The system came out at just the perfect age for me.

$_3.JPG

What was "pretty cheap"? If you don't mind me asking lol.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Got a SNES Sept 26, 1991. SMW came packed and also got Gradius 3. It was glorious. But I do recall after finishing Mario I barely touched it until the following XMas when I got more games.

It was my first step into console gaming after being part of the one true master race of C64/Amiga!

I got the Street Fighter 2 bundle for Christmas and then went out and bought Mario Kart and Pilotwings. Good times were had <3

I probably had around 25 games for it by the end of it's life. All of them absolute belters!

Faltimar

My mom worked for Toys R Us when I was a kid. She was the advertisement manager around the time the super nintendo came out. As a promotional thing they hada radio contest where a caller would have to guess what a toy was based on what it sounded like. One of the "toys" was a super nintendo. They decided that it would be too difficult to figure out what it was over the radio and didnt use it. I got to keep it. I had a snes two weeks before everyone else. I thought I was hot shit.

I loved it. I still have it but I dont use it, it just sits in a box in the rafters. Fuckin' use emulators now.

Servbot24

Banned
SNES was back when games were magical. I didn't get one til my friends gave me theirs after they got a PS1. So for several years my only experience with games was visiting their house. Was so excited to play, completely captured my imagination to the point that I'm now pursuing a career as a concept artist.

mandas

Neo Member
I had a SNES and played the hell out of Donkey Kong games. I also had a converter so I could play Gameboy games on it.

Top Bottom