• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Thief (4) screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skilletor

I've never played a thief game. I hate FPS games, but love Mirror's Edge and Stealth games. What's my best option to try one out if I can't do mouse and keyboard?

Burt

Seriously looks like a Skyrim mod. Not saying it looks bad or anything, but it's like they're using the exact same engine.

Labadal

Looks a little bit like Dishonored visually. Can't say I have a problem with that. I just hope they nail the level design.

I think people really do not get shit about "next gen" if they think they will be able to tell "next gen" from screen shots.

"Next gen" will come from movement and effects, fluidity and scope.

Right.

For something like a Thief game, I could care less about it being nextgen when it comes to visuals, maybe outside of the lighting and shadows having a gameplay impact. But thats the most important thing- the gameplay. And if being nextgen enables for better gameplay, then that's what I'll be most excited about.

i think we should expect the first batch of 3rd party next gen games to look closer to this in terms of visual fidelity. the true showcases will come from the internal teams or a year or 2 later.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This doesn't look next-gen at all. Screw you Game Informer.

Think about how long this game has been in the works... there's no way the next gen version wasn't going to be more than a resolution and texture bump.

Derrick01

Banned
Well, considering Dishonored was largely inspired by the Thief games, I can see why people are making comparisons.

But it's not right; Thief is the original, you can't compare it to a game that copied it.

It's like when people compare the new Tomb Raider to Uncharted...

You can spot the people who haven't played Thief by everyone saying Dishonored. Outside of the screen that looks like it's from the party mission in Dishonored, the game looks like Thief.

Kagari said:
Think about how long this game has been in the works... there's no way the next gen version wasn't going to be more than a resolution and texture bump.

This. Come on people use some common sense. The game was being worked on for more than 3 years, if it's next gen it was recently moved over so you're not going to get a true next gen jump.

noobasuar

Banned
Hoping these are next gen screens so that people can get thier expectations in check on what a next gen game looks like.

His bow being some sort of robot contraption now sort of bugs me. I loved the aesthetics of Thief but this feels like it's trying to sell the steampunkiness of it a bit too hard.

Also some of the screenshots like the hands on the guard basically confirm gratuitous QTE use to me.

DaBuddaDa

This looks as much like Dishonored as they're both visually inspired by vaguely 1800s-ish western European cities. Otherwise I'm not seeing any resemblance.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I really, really like its look. It doesn't seem next gen? Who cares, it looks great.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You can spot the people who haven't played Thief by everyone saying Dishonored. Outside of the screen that looks like it's from the party mission in Dishonored, the game looks like Thief.
yeah, this shot in particular
a965532f970d85d43bdff0cbf2b81451.jpg
gives me chills

aniki

It looks alright to me, but I'm amazed at how much some people are reading into the gameplay based on a handful of stills. Wait to see it moving, at least.

AJ_Wings

Exactly. And I really hope most of the focus went into developing a more complex level design instead of wasting their budget on "next-gen visuals".

someone who speaks russian maybe could translate the text properly

Well, I can help a bit here ;)

There is nothing new (apart of the screens, of course). This site mentions X720 because it using this old article as a source for additional information. And mentioned community page only tells about "next-gen" release in 2014 without further details.

Interesting, how did they get these screens...

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Steampunk? Where? Not seeing any steampunk whatsoever.

Victorian houses and Industrial Revolution everywhere = steampunk to me. You've got guys wearing morning suits and the guards are still carrying swords.

Also Thief has always been a Steampunk setting, even since the first game.

x-Lundz-x

Guys we should expect most games released in the next year to year and a half will be cross gen titles with the exception of first part titles for said consoles.

Still looks pretty good to me.

It looks next gen to me, honestly don't know what some of you guys are expecting. Imagine it running 60 fps + 1080p. It doesn't look any different to high end pc running something like Dishonoured, but that's what you expect at the start of a new gen, especially with 360/PS3 versions also coming out.

It's all about the atmosphere with Thief games anyway. Sound design is just as if not more important than visuals.

Well, considering Dishonored was largely inspired by the Thief games, I can see why people are making comparisons.

But it's not right; Thief is the original, you can't compare it to a game that copied it.

It's like when people compare the new Tomb Raider to Uncharted...

I have to humbly disagree. A series in hiatus will be always compared to the series that comes after. Always.

Uncharted took Tomb Raider's concept and made it supermassive. Tomb Raider looked at Uncharted and took a few ideas off of it. Both inspired each other but the original inspiration has been kicking ass and taking names left and right.

Dishonored is a fusion of Thief, Oblivion and Bioshock (in my mind atleast). Thief, coming after Dishonored, will be highly compared to it regardless of what came first and the influence is quite staggering. It also looks like UE3 so that is not helping it either since all first-person fantasy-adventure game looks the same in UE3 for some fucked up reason. It doesn't look like Crystal Engine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom