• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 controller: touchpad + share button + dualshock

famfrit

Wow! Great ideas, these are the kind of things I was hoping to hear. But, again, it just seems to sound so much better if they put this on the back, for two main reasons:

1) It sounds more comfortable*
2) It wont take your fingers off where they are (which IMO is very important)

*I guess I'd have to see how the front looks to judge this-- the VITA's front screen works great, but that's because the analog sticks are on the sides.

Really, if they modify the controller's shape to accomodate, it wont be a problem. But the question is whether they'd do this or not

I really want to know what's happening to motion control though. The ball is in Sony's court, and presumably, the standard controller and move controller have to match in order to ensure more devs utilize both equally.

To me, it just seems to make much more sense to have two Move controllers, as that thing is loaded with extra buttons to assign for all these functions we want out of touchpad. I guess Sony didn't want to look last gen or something, or be cast in Wii's shadow, but a breakable controller seems to make a lot of sense if such a design was well made.

Is it possible to do both trackpad and breakable controller?

This. But i dont like the breakable control idea/ patent.

The only problem is that a touch in the back don't look good in the marketing wise sense.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Why aren't more people upset about the touchpad? If we're loud enough now we can make a difference, and not have the first year of PS4 games have shitty forced-gimmicks like what has happened the last two times Sony has released a console.
If it's used to replace start/select it probably won't be used for too much stuff like that. Probably mostly for scrolling through menus. I'm sure a lot of third party devs won't care and a lot of first party studios will probably implement them better than in Golden Abyss. Don't forget that they have already had a lot of feedback from the Vita's release as well.

Nizz

ds4.jpg
I like this!

Splint

I really hope the recording isnt some 360p nonsense, 480p is lame too. I also hope we can have the video file as opposed to editing in some PS4 app thing.

Anastasia

Though I am genuinely worried, and I do want people to "speak up" on forums and blogs and say "please no gimmickry." If enough people speak up, we might not have charcoal rubbings/cleaning artifacts/climbing ropes with the touchpad.

I would wait for the controller to be revealed; from the rumors it doesn't seem like the touchscreen will have extensive application, and if it did it would be impossible to know if that's good or bad without knowing how developers are thinking about it.

I hope the touch pad has like a stylish neon display... where numbers, swipe gestures or, buttons could be displayed. But I guess they'd mention it if it did.

Would be awesome.

If they are still unable to create something better than the dualshock design, which is basically some outdated SNES ripoff +sticks, they should at least have full BC for the whole PS brand. (Would this be even possible?)

Ravage

Anyone here uses Swype?

Swype-Beta-3-26-Updated-with-Context-Prediction-Engine.jpg

The touchpad would allow people to type comfortably without looking away from the screen.

VanWinkle

If they are still unable to create something better than the dualshock design, which is basically some outdated SNES ripoff +sticks, they should at least have full BC for the whole PS brand. (Would this be even possible?)

What does the shape of the controller have to do with backwards compatibility?

Ydahs

Wow! Great ideas, these are the kind of things I was hoping to hear. But, again, it just seems to sound so much better if they put this on the back, for two main reasons:

Personally, I can't see it working if it's placed on the back. So many people hold the controller differently, with many already resting their middle finger around the center of the back of the controller. They'd have to change the controller's shape considerably to prevent that. Though as you mentioned, it'll certainly be much better considering we don't have to lift our thumbs off the analog sticks just to use the touchpad.
I really hope the recording isnt some 360p nonsense, 480p is lame too. I also hope we can have the video file as opposed to editing in some PS4 app thing.

Options will be great, but I'd imagine that if it is HD, some moderate compression will have to take place. Too much to upload, too much for individuals to stream and way too much bandwidth for Sony to handle if it's going to be a free service they host.

Having the video file will be the best approach though, with the added option of uploading to Youtube or whatever streaming platform Sony might be creating (Sony-verse?).

ascii42

What does the shape of the controller have to do with backwards compatibility?

Well, if they went with something completely different, like the Wii did, for example, they couldn't do backwards compatibility without either allowing older controllers to be connected, or creating a controller for the purpose of playing old games. Both of which Nintendo did.

iceatcs

I do like 360 pad because it may be best PC controller whereas many PC games use 360 on-the-screen buttons and real vibrate support on modern games.
Symmetrical sticks useful in some genres such as dual shooters ie Super StarDust HD.

It is hard to please everyone but I would like to see dual version one is symmetrical or not. Maybe swappable if technical possibliy.

Ydahs

Anyone here uses Swype?

The touchpad would allow people to type comfortably without looking away from the screen.

I'm not so sure. Swype works because you're actually using a touchscreen, not a touchpad. I don't see how this can work accurately, unless you mean the touchpad controls a cursor and a button acts as a mouse click? Kind of like a laptop's touchpad?

VanWinkle

Well, if they went with something completely different, like the Wii did, for example, they couldn't do backwards compatibility without either allowing older controllers to be connected, or creating a controller for the purpose of playing old games. Both of which Nintendo did.

I mean, they aren't taking anything away, so why would a new design make older games not work? Nintendo has several control methods so they need to have several controllers, but changing the mold of the dualshock doesn't make it no longer a dualshock.

ascii42

I mean, they aren't taking anything away, so why would a new design make older games not work? Nintendo has several control methods so they need to have several controllers, but changing the mold of the dualshock doesn't make it no longer a dualshock.

Right, that's what he's saying. Because they aren't doing that, there's no reason why older games wouldn't work.

Man

One thing guys (those making concept designs): the pad is clearly on the front as it replaces three previous buttons and it's clickable as well.

Mindlog

I went in a different direction. Changing the core design is taboo. It's a sacred symbol of console identity. We need to shift our focus. What we need to do is change the gamer.
Welcome to the Next Level
1w3UU18.jpg

I'm still working on getting suckers onto the ulnar tentacle. It has proven to be quite difficult as I've learned that cephalopods absolutely hate needles.

I'm not so sure. Swype works because you're actually using a touchscreen, not a touchpad. I don't see how this can work accurately, unless you mean the touchpad controls a cursor and a button acts as a mouse click? Kind of like a laptop's touchpad?

Something like a laptop touchpad would be a godsend for games that use cursors in general. It's no mouse but it's 1000x times better than controlling a strategy game with an analog stick.

Ydahs

Something like a laptop touchpad would be a godsend for games that use cursors in general. It's no mouse but it's 1000x times better than controlling a strategy game with an analog stick.

Only issue is laptop touchpads don't work too well with thumbs because of thumbsize. I'd imagine this touchpad will be a lot smaller in size too.

Maybe developers just need to hire better UI designers :p

VanWinkle

Right, that's what he's saying. Because they aren't doing that, there's no reason why older games wouldn't work.

It seemed to me like he was saying that he simply didn't like the way the controller looked/was laid out (the "design," not the functionality). To which I said that a change in look/design doesn't even correlate to backwards compatibility. If he was talking about a change in controller's functionality or control input altogether, I would have agreed with him.

Pretty sure he means the on-screen keyboard can act as the visual. It makes perfect sense

wilflare

hope they don't change it too much.. but most importantly, please have official PC support (let the Xbox 360 controller)

Duffyside

Banned
I hope this controller has a mic and the system a camera.

I'd like a camera so I scan my season pass/online pass/preorder bonus/etc, rather than going to the store and inputing a code. Bleh.

Ravage

You trace a path on the Swype keyboard (which will obviously be on the TV screen) by tracing a path across the touch pad. The tracing line will provide more than enough feedback for the user to type accurately. Why would there be a need to click?

I hope this controller better have a mic and the system a camera.

I'd like a camera so I scan my season pass/online pass/preorder bonus/etc, rather than going to the store and inputing a code. Bleh.

Previous leaks said that the system includes an upgraded playstation eye.

watershed

Banned
After thinking some more I'm looking forward to see how this new controller will look and function though I'm still not excited by a track pad.

You trace a path on the Swype keyboard (which will obviously be on the TV screen) by tracing a path across the touch pad. The tracing line will provide more than enough feedback for the user to type accurately. Why would there be a need to click?

By the way, Sony has developed and shipped something they call "Floating Touch Technology" on their Xperia line of phones. If they use something similar, they could have a movable cursor by floating the fingertip up to 2 cm above the screen, with touching as actual confirmation, as with the Xperia Sola.

Ydahs

In theory it sounds great, but in practice not so much. Does the width of the touchpad represent the width of the screen, so swiping from one side to another will be swiping from the left to right side of the screen? If so, that means the touchpad has to be fairly large and it also means that using a thumb will be too inaccurate for such a task, meaning you'd need to hold the controller with one hand and use your index finger on the other hand for more accurate controls.

If the touchpad is relative like a mouse touchpad, it also won't work well, since you'd need to lift your thumb and drag a couple of times to move from one side of the screen to another.

It just doesn't seem like this touchpad will be applicable for something like Swype, due to size, accuracy and the fact the thumb will be what's controlling it. I think it's designed for gesture-based commands more than anything else.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Anyone here uses Swype?

I think that would be weird without a screen on the controller. I'd be happy if they just added something like Steam's on screen controller keyboard.

Ydahs

Just wanted to add that I'd love for a similiar design to this with it being slightly elongated horizontally, as well as filling some of the space between the shoulder buttons up top to expand the touchpad size. That way it'll keep the original design and distance between analog sticks an buttons, but it'll more room for the thumb to extend and swipe the touchpad smoothly.

edit - Also, I'm in the camp of the share button being pretty stupid if it's separate to the home button or is only dedicated to sharing.

Proxy

Charcoal rubbings in Uncharted 4?

Swipe vertically to select, and horizontal to pause/start?

"Kratos, smear the virgin blood on the altar"?

It's totally a big deal. It can make the first year of the console significantly worse than it needs to be. If we make a fuss now, we can stop it. STOP THE FUTURE!

I'm perfectly okay with that.

rdrr gnr

I think that would be weird without a screen on the controller. I'd be happy if they just added something like Steam's on screen controller keyboard.
It's been around for quite a while. I think the original Killzone used it and it goes back even more.

Ravage

By the way, Sony has developed and shipped something they call "Floating Touch Technology" on their Xperia line of phones. If they use something similar, they could have a movable cursor by floating the fingertip up to 2 cm above the screen, with touching as actual confirmation, as with the Xperia Sola.

Interesting...

Does the width of the touchpad represent the width of the screen, so swiping from one side to another will be swiping from the left to right side of the screen? If so, that means the touchpad has to be fairly large

Yes that's what i have in mind - the width of the touchpad represents the width of the keyboard. The touchpad size in the proposed DS4 mockups looks fine to me honestly, i can swype comfortably on my tiny iPhone4 screen with the keyboard filling just half of the screen space.

it also means that using a thumb will be too inaccurate for such a task, meaning you'd need to hold the controller with one hand and use your index finger on the other hand for more accurate controls.

I believe most people will be typing with their index finger. It's not meant to be used in the middle of a game after all.

Jack_AG

Banned
I don't think controllers are simple devices at all. The Wiimote was the simplest controller we've had in a while and it left many lacking when it came to available buttons. I don't count swiping to be substantial enough to draw my interest or even justify the inclusion of a trackpad. I can see menu navigation and a few other functions working with touch input but without an actual screen it seems limited.
No. It is exceedingly simple. Everyone knows and understands how to use a button. They are in a multitude of devices/appliances. Humans understand that pushing a button often nets a reaction. Its a simple interface design.

Analog sticks have a higher curve if you've never used one, but still simple in its design/effect. While not utilized in daily device interaction, it is easy enough to understand function.

Trackpads are no different. They allow for simple gestures most humans use without even knowing about it. They dont have to be finger gestures, but gestures with the hand, in general. From the turning of a doorknob to the key in a vehicle ignition, waving to friends, pointing, turning the page in a book - humans are conditioned for gesture action/reaction. This is perfect for video games.

You also sound like you are limiting what you think you can accomplish with a trackpad. It is most certainly not limited to "swipes". Theres a lot that can be done to make things interesting enough without looking... a few examples:

Swipe: in a FPS, the user holds the left trigger to pull a grenade. The right thumb slides left to right to "pull the pin". Now the grenade is cooking. Release to throw.

It can be used as a simple 180 swipe to turn around faster since analog is dedicated speed.

Circle: Hold a button/trigger and perform a circular motion to operate twist/handle/wheel devices.

Patterns: Perform specific movesets for X action. U, Z, C, N, L - any easily recognizable and performing pattern.

Just off the top of my head examples. Currently I am designing UI features and menu/inventory management for my game, PC (controller, ready) and I am looking at how I use everyday items in my house, out and about, my phone, car, utensils, etc - watching my wife, friends... trying to make an intuitive, "no instructions needed" robust yet self-explanatory system. Basing it off of how we condition ourselves to doing things without focusing attention directly, looking at, etc. It should just "click" and feel natural to navigate and use.

Again - the design allows for simple gestures - just enough to change things up without making it an overly complicated mess that compromises the rest of the controller.

Keep the player focused in the game by not having them look down. Keep it interesting and engaging by introducing elements people already understand.

MooseKing

Banned
The thumbstick placement in the playstation controller is simple the worst. If they remain both at the bottom, then it will remain the worst controller.

Loofy

I just want them to put grooves on the analog sticks, like on gamecube, or make them concave. Rather have grooves though.

Top Bottom