• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway |OT| Super Iota 64

Aytrial

Quick question.
I'm on vacation and planned on playing Tearaway on my flight home mostly (14 hour flight) so will I be doing myself a disservice if I choose to do so?
I have not read much about the game other then it is great, but I do believe I read it uses the back camera to bring the players actual real,world surroundings into the game itself? Did I read that wrong?
So just wondering if only having the back of a chair on an airplane will take away from the game if I did in fact understand that all correctly?
TIA to anyone that can answer. I leave in 4 days so I can always start playing it while on vacation if that is the better experience overall.

Tearaway gives you opportunities to take pictures which are then applied in-game as textures.

You might actually get some funny looking ones while on a flight.

Quick question.
I'm on vacation and planned on playing Tearaway on my flight home mostly (14 hour flight) so will I be doing myself a disservice if I choose to do so?
I have not read much about the game other then it is great, but I do believe I read it uses the back camera to bring the players actual real,world surroundings into the game itself? Did I read that wrong?
So just wondering if only having the back of a chair on an airplane will take away from the game if I did in fact understand that all correctly?
TIA to anyone that can answer. I leave in 4 days so I can always start playing it while on vacation if that is the better experience overall.

I asked more or less the same question, mang; consensus was to wait it out and enjoy it without any encumbrances/distractions, as difficult as that may sound :)

Sky Chief

Quick question.

I think it would be great to play on the plane, no disservice at all.

DirtyLarry

Awesome thanks for the fast replies all. I should have a great plane ride it sounds like. I also made sure to pack my Pulse Elites and they are fully charged as well.
Thanks again.

Skyzard

Banned
Best aware that the camera makes sound (Vita system camera sound, even if you have headphones plugged in) Sometimes when taking shots.

This is the worst thing about the game. So damn loud too! I'm not taking any upskirt photos, damnit Sony.

I think it would be great to play on the plane, no disservice at all.

Yeah it should be okay if you are able to stay comfortable on flights, not too bothered by surroundings etc. Will be a great game to take your mind off things too. Camera mode is a bit of a hassle, just remember to use the thumbstick to control it more.

It is a game I personally save till about bed time to play it though.

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah. I didn't mess around with the system at all and, AFAIK, there's no way to disable it.

I just try and put my thumbs over the speakers. I think it's there because of legal reasons to do with taking photos on portable devices needing a click sound...to alert people nearby or something like that.

Otherwise everyone is waking up at my home thinking I'm taking nude selfies or something for no reason.

soultron

Banned
I just try and put my thumbs over the speakers. I think it's there because of legal reasons to do with taking photos on portable devices needing a click sound...to alert people nearby or something like that.

Otherwise everyone is waking up at my home thinking I'm taking nude selfies or something for no reason.

It's just strange with how inconsistent it is. I've not figured out when it does it, maybe when you're taking pictures of the actual world/Quantum Lens? That would make sense.

Does anyone know if the PSN Store copy of Tearaway still comes with the soundtrack? (And can it be transferred to a computer/mobile from the Vita?) I might just buy the game again to get the soundtrack... Yes, I want the soundtrack that badly.

Servbot24

Banned
Beat this game over the weekend, finished at 80%. I'm guessing I spent around 8 hours. Short but incredibly sweet and well worth entry price. The level design really gets way more creative in the last third of the game, which makes me think they definitely should do a sequel to expand on some of those ideas. :)

jonhuz

I bought this from PSN (EU) on Sunday, am I still entitled to the digital pre order bonus? Nothing has popped into my download list.

Number45

Does anyone know if the PSN Store copy of Tearaway still comes with the soundtrack? (And can it be transferred to a computer/mobile from the Vita?) I might just buy the game again to get the soundtrack... Yes, I want the soundtrack that badly.
They confirmed to me via Twitter that the soundtrack will be getting a separate release, but no date right now. That's why I went with the other pack.

Number45

I bought this from PSN (EU) on Sunday, am I still entitled to the digital pre order bonus? Nothing has popped into my download list.
If it's anything like Diablo 3 (which I bought the day it went on sale) then you'll be out of luck for the extras.

On Gibbet Hill it says I'm missing one enemy. That doesn't even make sense, you're required to beat the enemies before moving on..

Apparently there's a bug regarding the enemy tracker in a few levels. I'm missing 3 in the cavern that I can't seem to find for the life of me either. It's the only trophy I'm missing as well...

Edit - That reminds me, there's an easily found cabin papercraft in that level that has a missable scrap inside of it that will come out when you get close to it. That's probably it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I have to admit, I'm enjoying this quite a bit more than Super Mario 3D World. I thought it would be the opposite, to be honest, but Tearaway feels so incredibly fresh and interesting.

Mario, as creative as it is, really is started to lose its luster in its current form for me. I'm actually disappointed in myself for not enjoying it more. :\

I have to admit, I'm enjoying this quite a bit more than Super Mario 3D World. I thought it would be the opposite, to be honest, but Tearaway feels so incredibly fresh and interesting.

Mario, as creative as it is, really is started to lose its luster in its current form for me. I'm actually disappointed in myself for not enjoying it more. :\

I just hope we get a Tearaway 2 someday.

Elvick

Banned
On Gibbet Hill it says I'm missing one enemy. That doesn't even make sense, you're required to beat the enemies before moving on..
After the freefall at the start, turn around and wait a little while and see if there are two Scraps that come down.

That's where mine was. I don't know if you have to do anything specific for them to appear or not, but I killed them and got my last one.

BUT, I didn't get the trophy for it. I had to kill some more scraps before it popped.

Elvick

Banned
It's just strange with how inconsistent it is. I've not figured out when it does it, maybe when you're taking pictures of the actual world/Quantum Lens? That would make sense.

I don't know if the PSN copy comes with the soundtrack still, in NA the preorder stuff is usually first week. So if you buy before the update rolls out you might still get that stuff.

I'd assume the soundtrack would be there since it's one of 'em.

I do know that you can transfer it to the computer. I had to get rid of them from my Vita to download the Rayman Legends Invasion levels patch.

leroidys

I love them both in different ways.

It makes me sad to see all these "WII U REDEEMED?!" threads though, while Tearaway and vita continue to languish :(

I think SM3DW kind of stole vita's thunder. Another GOTY contender released on a very solid but overlooked gaming console on the SAME DAY, but all the media attention goes to SM3DW. It deserves all the attention it's getting, but I wish there was more to go around.

After the freefall at the start, turn around and wait a little while and see if there are two Scraps that come down.

That's where mine was. I don't know if you have to do anything specific for them to appear or not, but I killed them and got my last one.

BUT, I didn't get the trophy for it. I had to kill some more scraps before it popped.

I think you may have meant to reply to me, but I just looked it up after posting about The Caverns and found out that this was my issue. Finally got the Platinum trophy!

jonhuz

If it's anything like Diablo 3 (which I bought the day it went on sale) then you'll be out of luck for the extras.

I’d tend to agree, apart from this:
“…If you want to buy it digitally, you’ll get the pre-order items as long as you buy it from PlayStation Store in the first week of release.”

PS blog

Beat this game over the weekend, finished at 80%. I'm guessing I spent around 8 hours. Short but incredibly sweet and well worth entry price. The level design really gets way more creative in the last third of the game, which makes me think they definitely should do a sequel to expand on some of those ideas. :)

Great to hear. Only got this from Gamefly last night and played through the same areas in the demo.

I'll be frank, as much as I've been excited for this game, the demo didn't really enthrall me at first. Someone earlier mentioned being utterly turned off by the first 5 minutes of the game - I certainly wouldn't go that far, but it wasn't an approach that did anything for me. I think a lot of it boils down to me really hating slow tutorial starting stages, though.

I had the impression though from the end of the demo that this would be a slow burn kinda title (like Puppeteer), so I'm glad to hear the actual gamey bits continue to develop.

Also:
XHJWakb.jpg
Don't ask, I dunno what the hell this is either.

Jb

Well that was an incredibly sweet and beautiful little story :) It reminded me a lot of Psychonauts and of Journey in the way the message of the game was told in some aspects of the game design. A really fantastic experience and a great use of the hardware. Now I'm super excited to see what they do on PS4.

Chorazin

Apparently there's a bug regarding the enemy tracker in a few levels. I'm missing 3 in the cavern that I can't seem to find for the life of me either. It's the only trophy I'm missing as well...

Edit - That reminds me, there's an easily found cabin papercraft in that level that has a missable scrap inside of it that will come out when you get close to it. That's probably it.

I'm missing ONE in the caverns, and I have the two that follow you down. :-( I've played it three times now and I have no idea where the last one is.

Number45

I’d tend to agree, apart from this:
“…If you want to buy it digitally, you’ll get the pre-order items as long as you buy it from PlayStation Store in the first week of release.”

PS blog

I bought it on PSN (Canada) about 20 minutes ago and it started downloading all the extras. I didn't even know it would come with them.
Yeah, these are both US. EU actually runs them as a pre-order rather than a first week bonus.

soultron

Banned
They confirmed to me via Twitter that the soundtrack will be getting a separate release, but no date right now. That's why I went with the other pack.
Nice! It'd be cool if they did something super cool like a physical release
or even vinyl
, but I think I'm just dreaming now.

I don't know if the PSN copy comes with the soundtrack still, in NA the preorder stuff is usually first week. So if you buy before the update rolls out you might still get that stuff.

I'd assume the soundtrack would be there since it's one of 'em.

I do know that you can transfer it to the computer. I had to get rid of them from my Vita to download the Rayman Legends Invasion levels patch.
Cool, I think I'll buy the 2nd copy to get the soundtrack then.

Sky Chief

Right before you reach the top of the mountain there is a portapotty with the last scrap inside. Approach and it will jump out.

ijed

Best aware that the camera makes sound (Vita system camera sound, even if you have headphones plugged in) Sometimes when taking shots.
Only when you use the right trigger. If you press the camera icon on the touchscreen it doesn't make the sound

Crayons

Banned
I bought this game but I can't play it, didn't know my face would keep popping up in the game. It ruins the beautiful game.

I bought this game but I can't play it, didn't know my face would keep popping up in the game. It ruins the beautiful game.

I will eternally make awful faces whenever that happens.

Made a beard, hair, jeans and some sneakers last night. This game is going to destroy my life. Thanks Media Molecule!

Top Bottom