• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown (Vanillaware PS3/PSV) Sorceress Trailer

raven777

Intentionally low res

ibolhYKlC0AK8L.gif

need high-res version!

Espada

Wow, she moves much faster than I expected she would. Very nice mobility options, and her spells are varied and quick enough to make her rather fun to use. I have to wonder what the Wizard is bringing to the table since her spells look powerful already.

I'm guessing he moves and casts slower? His description says he does the most damage of any class, so he must get some pretty heavy balancing.

Ken said:
Maybe the archer gets dagger skills in addition to archery...so more like a ranger than a pure archer.
That wouldn't surprise me. I hope the next video is her or the Wizard.

Every playable character in this game has very exaggerated proportions with the exception of the Elf and Wizard (one male and one female). I'm not really sure what the problem is.

Labadal

Every playable character in this game has very exaggerated proportions with the exception of the Elf and Wizard (one male and one female). I'm not really sure what the problem is.

There's no big problem. I'm so excited to play this game and I'll try out all the characters. I thought the Sorceress looked absurd from day 1. I'll still play as here if she is most fun to play. I prefer her over the Fighter for now.

There's no big problem. I'm so excited to play this game and I'll try out all the characters. I thought the Sorceress looked absurd from day 1. I'll still play as here if she is most fun to play. I prefer her over the Fighter for now.

I guess this reply came at the wrong time since right before it Jackson basically called Kamitani a misogynist because of this design. :p

Espada

Game's beautiful, but yeah I have to say the PCs are atrocious.

There's nothing atrocious about them. The characters are intentionalyl drawn well out of proportion for artistic effect. Their grotesque looks is not a mistake or isolated solely to the females.

I understand personal tastes, but the aesthetic is consistent throughout all the screenshots and footage we've seen.

I LOVE the exaggerated proporitons. Sorceress looks like a flirt, Knight looks like he is on steroids, Amazon looks like she could deadlift an elephant. They look like there roles.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
There's nothing atrocious about them. The characters are intentionalyl drawn well out of proportion for artistic effect.
Their grotesque looks is not a mistake
or isolated solely to the females.

I understand personal tastes, but the aesthetic is consistent throughout all the screenshots and footage we've seen.

Yes, that's exactly my problem--that someone intentionally designed characters to look so awful when the art in general is beautiful. Since it is a matter of personal taste I'm pleased you understand.

Espada

Yes, that's exactly my problem--that someone intentionally designed characters to look so awful when the art in general is beautiful. Since it is a matter of personal taste I'm pleased you understand.

It's not limited to just the player characters, though. The NPCs and mobs are also rendered this way. So I don't understand what "art" you're finding beautiful. The stages?

G9Fb8fv.gif

Her breasts aren't the only exaggerated thing in the game.
Look at the screenshot of the minotaur, his arms are twice the size of his legs and his head is as big as the Sorceress.
They're caracatures, with overly stylized proportions.
No one's claiming that it's sexist or derogatory if a male character has unrealistically huge biceps.

Game looks awesome, love the artstyle. Is it coming to EU?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
It's not limited to just the player characters, though. The NPCs and mobs are also rendered this way. So I don't understand what "art" you're finding beautiful. The stages?

All the art I've seen besides the player characters is beautiful. Simple, really. The knight you posted is fine and looks a million times better than the sorceress and amazon. You seem to not "get" personal taste like you thought you did, though, or you wouldn't be trying to convince me that I should either hate or love all assets because they share an exaggerated style. It works on some things, on others it does not.

"God damn Vanillawares 2d tech is so far beyond everyone elses. They need to give that engine to everyone."

I don't think they're doing anything particularly different from what is possible in other engines (skeletal 2D animation), they're just doing it amazingly well.

B.O.O.M

Which is making me curious about how character balance will affect the Wizard. The Sorc is already pretty nimble and seems to do well enough when it comes to area damage (or damage output in general), and the Wizard's supposed to be better than her at spell casting... so is he going to casually nuke the screen all the time?

Well perhaps they have her overleveled for those encounters to make her look cool and generate hype :p Looking forward to more trailers!

I actually forgot that the game has a wizard! I hope they put out introduction/character videos like these for each class. Really interested in seeing how the Archer plays. Her and the thief should be very very fast

Co-Op in this game will be glorious

Salsa

.. are people seriously not understanding how someone could like a particular art style but not a character design within it?

Qvoth

All the art I've seen besides the player characters is beautiful. Simple, really. The knight you posted is fine and looks a million times better than the sorceress and amazon. You seem to not "get" personal taste like you thought you did, though, or you wouldn't be trying to convince me that I should either hate or love all assets because they share an exaggerated style. It works on some things, on others it does not.
wellthat'slikeyouropinionman.jpg

I actually forgot that the game has a wizard! I hope they put out introduction/character videos like these for each class. Really interested in seeing how the Archer plays. Her and the thief should be very very fast

Co-Op in this game will be glorious

That's what they're currently doing. Last week they released a video for the Fighter.

Espada

Technically, the Fighter is not "fine" as he's suffering from the same severe proportion issues as the Sorceress you criticized. I'm not trying to "convince" you of anything. I'm pointing out what appears to be hypocrisy on your part.

So it's okay for Princess Vivian (the NPC in the red dress) to have inhuman proportions simply because she's covered up? I'll leave it at that, though. This conversation is going nowhere.

VpZOYdu.gif

Teknopathetic said:
"God damn Vanillawares 2d tech is so far beyond everyone elses. They need to give that engine to everyone."

I don't think they're doing anything particularly different from what is possible in other engines (skeletal 2D animation), they're just doing it amazingly well.

Yup, rotoscoping isn't a new technique either but Vanillaware is using it to great effect in Dragon's Crown.

Salsa

So it's okay for Princess Vivian (the NPC in the red dress) to have inhuman proportions simply because she's covered up? I'll leave it at that, though. This conversation is going nowhere.

sorceress/amazon are disappointing because it feels like sexualized pandering intended as fan wank to a certain audience, the other, specifically male characters have exaggerated features that appear to be going more for comedy

I dont think people are saying anything's wrong or right; just that xelios doesnt like it, and I dont either

the art is gorgeous, some of the characters are not. It's easy to understand.

Wizard. The Wizard is also sexually pandering to the gamer girl crowd who love the animu style of males.

They are caricatures based off the mental image of the class in question. Every sprite is over-exaggerated.

When you think of a sorceress, you think of a sexual being.

Salsa

When you think of a sorceress, you think of a sexual being.

wut

also one thing is being sexy and another thing is having boobs bigger than your head

It just doesnt work for me here. It's a personal opinion and it bothers me, I dont know why people are set on trying to change other's people tastes?

Jackson

I don't think you know what that word means.

I don't think you know what the word means.

Here, I'll help you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misogyny
Misogyny (pron.: /mɪˈsɒdʒɪni/) is the hatred or dislike of women or girls. Misogyny can be manifested in numerous ways, including sexual discrimination, denigration of women, violence against women, and sexual objectification of women

2 of the 3 female characters come off as overtly sexually objectified.

Espada

sorceress/amazon are disappointing because it feels like sexualized pandering intended as fan wank to a certain audience, the other, specifically male characters have exaggerated features that appear to be going more for comedy

I dont think people are saying anything's wrong or right; just that xelios doesnt like it, and I dont either

the art is gorgeous, some of the characters are not. It's easy to understand.

Eh, the way you slam the sorceress and amazon as fanwank while glossing over the inhumanly proportioned bishounen or the bara-bait Dwarf is worrying. From a certain perspective they're all little more than fetishist bait.

Personally, I just seem them as very standard depictions of the classes in question.

Top Bottom