• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Desktop Coffee Lake CPUs to be available Oct 5th

LordAlu

I haven't been following Coffee Lake. Why do you have to go to a new mobo if it's using 1151? Could they bios flash 270s or something like they did with Kaby?
From what I understand, they've changed the socket alignment notches.

intel-celeron-g3900-tray-socket-1151-14nm-cm8066201928610.png

See the notches on the left and right sides? Those have been moved, so even though the socket is the same, the Skylake/Kaby Lake processors won't fit, and likewise the Coffee Lake ones won't fit in older boards.

Firebrand

299 euro for the i5, what does that translate to in USD?

Seems damn high, but I guess what should I expect from Intel.

I wouldn't compare them directly to USD, prices in Nordic countries tend be high. For instance, the Switch launched at around €400 here (~$480).

I think the takeaway is that it doesn't seem to launch at a significantly higher price than the 7700K did, though the obviously the latter can be found cheaper now. But we'll see once we find out USD/GBP etc prices.

StereoVsn

I wouldn't compare them directly to USD, prices in Nordic countries tend be high. For instance, the Switch launched at around €400 here (~$480).

I think the takeaway is that it doesn't seem to launch at a significantly higher price than the 7700K did, though the obviously the latter can be found cheaper now. But we'll see once we find out USD/GBP etc prices.
Don't European prices include VAT plus additional markup for Nordic countries? US prices don't include taxes which could be over 10% depending on location.

Anyways, if the 8700k CPU hits around $450 and performs really well, it's going to be hard for me to avoid grabbing it from Microcenter this fall with their CPU and Mboard discounts. Cost of RAM might stop me so we shall see but this is certainly step in the right direction from Intel (depending on Reviews).

elyetis

I sure hope the rumored number are true, I badly want to upgrade for emulation ( Cemu ) my 2500k overclocked at 4.7 is showing it's age, and while a 7700K is already tempting, the 8700k would be a little more 'future proof'.

Renekton

I sure hope the rumored number are true, I badly want to upgrade for emulation ( Cemu ) my 2500k overclocked at 4.7 is showing it's age, and while a 7700K is already tempting, the 8700k would be a little more 'future proof'.
I'm not sure 8700k will be better than 7700k for emulation.

enewtabie

From what I understand, they've changed the socket alignment notches.

intel-celeron-g3900-tray-socket-1151-14nm-cm8066201928610.png

See the notches on the left and right sides? Those have been moved, so even though the socket is the same, the Skylake/Kaby Lake processors won't fit, and likewise the Coffee Lake ones won't fit in older boards.

Ah,makes sense. Not surprising but it's ashame since it's the same socket.

Euler007

The 8700k would be the successor to my 2500k if my house renovations hadn't bled me dry. Being an adult sucks.

Evo X

I've got a 5820k at 4.4Ghz right now.

Worth the hassle to upgrade to 8700k purely for gaming?

Running Titan XP playing at 4k/60hz. Planning on switching to Volta Titan day one, but that still seems pretty far out.

If you are only targeting 60, than nah, there is no reason to upgrade your CPU.

If you were targetting 144-240hz, depending upon the game of course, then I would say there would be some tangible upgrade for you (but not really too much).

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Sigh, I would really want this but realistically- if I just made my build with a 7700k, does it make sense to upgrade right now? 😩
Hell to the no. If you got a 7700K, don't even think of upgrading till the next CPU cycle after Coffee Lake.

Morts

Every part of my current PC is 7 years old. If I were to put together a new build soon do i want Coffee Lake?

ezodagrom

Sigh, I would really want this but realistically- if I just made my build with a 7700k, does it make sense to upgrade right now? 😩
It doesn't, I'd wait a couple CPU cycles after Coffee Lake to upgrade, maybe even wait until DDR5 unless you really need more cores.

Every part of my current PC is 7 years old. If I were to put together a new build soon do i want Coffee Lake?
7 years old, so 1st gen Core architecture (i3 300 / i5 700 / i7 800~900 series)?
If you're a PC gamer, yeah, I would upgrade to Coffee Lake.

Unless Intel screws up the pricing or availability of these parts, yes, probably.

There's a slim chance Ryzen remains a good price to performance sweet spot depending on what you want to buy, but I don't see that happening for most.

Massicot

So if I currently have a 6700k and I am interested in a 8700k, would I need a new mobo even though its a 1151 socket?

Edit:

This seems incredibly dumb, is there a reason to move the notches?

ezodagrom

So if I currently have a 6700k and I am interested in a 8700k, would I need a new mobo even though its a 1151 socket?
Yeah, you would need a new MB. With a 6700K, I think I would wait a couple CPU cycles before upgrading, unless you need more cores.

Papacheeks

Banned
My Ryzen 1600X was 70€ cheaper than the i5. I really don't regret this purchase.

I have the same CPU. It was a great upgrade from my aging 2500k.

These new intel cpu's OC wise sound great, but I want to see the actual retail pricing of these with their new boards. If the average board for one of these good OC MB's is over $150 AMD still beat's them in overall pricing. Unless they price these very aggressively?

I feel I made the smarter, and cheaper decision going back to AMD for my CPU. infinity Fabric is doing well, so I wonder how the refresh of Ryzen will stack against Coffee lake?

Morts

It doesn't, I'd wait a couple CPU cycles after Coffee Lake to upgrade, maybe even wait until DDR5 unless you really need more cores.

7 years old, so 1st gen Core architecture (i3 300 / i5 700 / i7 800~900 series)?
If you're a PC gamer, yeah, I would upgrade to Coffee Lake.

I'm not a PC gamer, but sometimes I think I should be.

Huddy

Like yourself my PC is 7 years old, I'm still running an i7 920, 6GB with a Nvidia 670.

It's upgrade time for me before Destiny 2 releases and I'm leaning more towards Ryzen at this point even though it looks like Coffeelake will maintain the gaming crown, Ryzen 5/7 cost vs performance is just too good to ignore.

Edit:

To forcibly ensure there is no way to get onto the Coffee Lake platform without buying both a new CPU and motherboard, maximising profit from those that wish to upgrade?

Papacheeks

Banned
Like yourself my PC is 7 years old, I'm still running an i7 920, 6GB with a Nvidia 670.

It's upgrade time for me before Destiny 2 releases and I'm leaning more towards Ryzen at this point even though it looks like Coffeelake will maintain the gaming crown, Ryzen 5/7 cost vs performance is just too good to ignore.

In all honesty more and more games are getting patched for Ryzen and the gains that intel has in games is slowly getting smaller.

Games that release next year will run very well on Ryzen.

Price wise I think Ryzen is the better buy IMHO. But we will have to see if coffee lake is a best of both worlds scenario with gaming and productivity task's.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Either this CPU Gen or next Ryzen Gen will be the replacement for my 3820, so I'm imagining I'll see a notable improvement in performance either way. It all just comes down to bang for the buck within the next year, and things are getting interesting.

sirap

I've got a 5820k at 4.4Ghz right now.

Worth the hassle to upgrade to 8700k purely for gaming?

Running Titan XP playing at 4k/60hz. Planning on switching to Volta Titan day one, but that still seems pretty far out.

Not worth it imo. Just save the cost of a new mobo + processor for the inevitable Nvidia Titan price hike :p

LordAlu

Edit:

So Intel's partners can make *new motherboards that customers wanting to upgrade to 8th Gen have to buy, thus making their partners money?

* Note: Not actually new.

I mean... have you hit a situation yet where the 6700k isn't fast enough? I have a 2600k and only from upgrading my GPU to a 1070 a couple of weeks ago have I FINALLY had my CPU become a bottleneck, and even then only in CPU intensive games that are poorly optimised like Fallout 4. I'm always confused when I see people with still very recent CPUs talking about upgrading. What do you guys use them for?

On the topic of Coffee Lake, I'm really happy to see these rumoured boost clocks looking so damn good. I'm still holding on to my 2600k until someone releases an 8c/16t 4ghz+ CPU, but it's great seeing how close we're getting. That's my future-proof target to carry me through the PS5 gen.

ezodagrom

Needing a new motherboard is not really surprising, since Sandy Bridge, at best every 2 new Intel CPUs needed a new motherboard.

- LGA 1155, P67 and Z77 chipsets supported Sandy Bridge 2000 series and Ivy Bridge 3000 series.

- LGA 1150, Z87 and Z97 chipsets, supported Haswell and the Haswell refresh (both belonging to the 4000 series). Z97 also supported Broadwell (5000 series), but these were pretty rare.

- LGA 1151, Z170 and Z270 chipsets, supported Skylake 6000 series and Kaby Lake 7000 series.

- And now LGA 1151 v2, Z370/Z390 chipsets, which will support Coffee Lake.
The question is Coffee Lake's successor. Seems like Cannonlake will skip desktops and so Icelake will be Coffee Lake's successor? But with Icelake being both a new process and new architecture, I guess the odds of Z370/Z390 supporting it are low?

Klik

Futher confirmation on locked to 1151 chipset and full details on base clock speeds - https://videocardz.com/72448/asrock-confirms-coffee-lake-s-on-1151-socket
K83AB5f.png

Also you can check videocardz for a bunch of leaks of Motherboards.

i3 8100 4cores/4threads @ 3.6ghz for 150$ paired with something like gtx2060(cca 200$) will be killer budget pc for next 3-4 years on 1080p on medium/high setting at 60fps.

I wish if they would put i5 8500 6c/6t @ 3.5ghz. i5 8400 seems way too low at just 2.8ghz.

Still hope they will release i5 8500 at at least 3ghz+ for 210-220$

Huddy

Wondering if these new CL mobos will have PCIe 4.0. I hope they do at least.

It's rumoured to be available this year but I can't imagine what in at consumer level. Safe bet to add it to the list of cool things in 2018.

ezodagrom

i3 8100 4cores/4threads @ 3.6ghz for 150$ paired with something like gtx2060(cca 200$) will be killer budget pc for next 3-4 years on 1080p on medium/high setting at 60fps.

I wish if they would put i5 8500 6c/6t @ 3.5ghz. i5 8400 seems way too low at just 2.8ghz.

Still hope they will release i5 8500 at at least 3ghz+ for 210-220$
Seems like current rumors have the i5 8400 with a 3.8GHz all core turbo and 4.0GHz 1 core turbo?
But we'll have to wait and see if those numbers are accurate.

Part of me wants to build an i7 8700K machine to replace my i7 5820K. Not for huge performance gains but primarily because my motherboard has been absolutely terrible since I built it. The most unstable system I've ever built. I suppose I could replace the Motherboard alone but right now it's just kind of limped along since I built the thing, occasional blue screens, system lock ups. boots that don't finish, SATA port died. Lots of USB related issues.

Mr. Robot

Fuck, i was planning to switch from my i5 2500k to Ryzen 7 1700, i guess that it would be better to wait, anyone if there would be much difference from the i5 8600K 6c/6t to a Ryzen 1700? i plan to stream while gaming, and edit media...

TheJoRu

Probably gonna hold onto my i5 6500 for at least two more generations, but things seem to be heating up (a little) in the CPU space, so that's good!

Top Bottom