• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: Two people can play on the same account at the same time.

UNCMark

Banned
Thanks.

So if 2 people are playing on the same account and there are no sub accounts, what would both be called? SonnyBoy is online as SonnyBoy as he is the 'BUYING' Account and PS+ is registered to him. What would BigDaddy be online as? Surely it can't be SonnyBoy? I think I get it as you're saying that it knows I am another account on the 'Buying' machine/another user on SonnyBoy's machine and therefore it would just automatically allow me online as another user, therefore, as BigDaddy and no actual sub-account.

Also are you saying that I could only be online (BigDaddy) and play Killzone IF my son (SonnyBoy) is playing that game online at the same time?

If you mean on different consoles, it's not happening. You'll need to create another account on the main user's home console. That user receives all the benefits afforded to the main user as long as they're on that user's home console.

luffeN

I was bored.

jtff.jpg

That would be nice.

I don't see the benefits of this.

I mean I get the logic if you coordinate purchases, you'd hypothetically spend half as much

but realistically I mean who is going to coordinate that with someone they don't live with? and this requires ALOT of trust as you don't own the account you're investing all of your digital purchases into. You're buying for them and they're buying for you basically.

that's the point. this is for people you trust, like a close friend, family member or significant other.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Youd be splitting your saves and your purchases is my point though. Their saves would be on the account you're buying for and vice versa

So? Who cares if the save game is for a game on their account? Any account on the "home" machine can access the game, and they don't need to "own" it.

Or do you mean the savings? If so, it's still fine as its designed for people close to each other who trust each other. Hypothetically, I would trust to "share" with my dad or my sister. I don't think either of them will one day say you can't have access to my account anymore.

I was bored.

jtff.jpg

Right on.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
So? Who cares if the save game is for a game on their account? Any account on the "home" machine can access the game, and they don't need to "own" it.

I mean the account you're investing money into will not be the account you're investing time into.(Achievements, unlocks, rankings etc)

frizby

Thanks.

So if 2 people are playing on the same account and there are no sub accounts, what would both be called? SonnyBoy is online as SonnyBoy as he is the 'BUYING' Account and PS+ is registered to him. What would BigDaddy be online as? Surely it can't be SonnyBoy? I think I get it as you're saying that it knows I am another account on the 'Buying' machine/another user on SonnyBoy's machine and therefore it would just automatically allow me online as another user, therefore, as BigDaddy and no actual sub-account.

I think what your missing, assuming I'm reading correctly, is that the machine isn't limited to how many users can use it as their home console. Each/all of you could have the living room console as your respective account's "home console", if that's what you wanted to do. All the machine cares about is who's logged in. Your son could log on his mobile account in his room (or anywhere else for that matter) even if that machine was nobody's "home console".

You'd be BigDaddy, no matter what console you're using, always.

Also are you saying that I could only be online (BigDaddy) and play Killzone IF my son (SonnyBoy) is playing that game online at the same time?

As long as they don't lock the game specifically from doing that, absolutely yes. He'd have access to the game and PS Plus through his "mobile account" in his bedroom, and you'd have access because you'd be logged into his account's "home machine" as another user.

I may have messed up your specific scenario, but hopefully you get the idea.

frizby

What I'm not understanding is WHY must the secondary console be signed in online to play? Unless that prevents the "home" console from using that account I don't see the purpose.

Signing in to the PSN is the only way to validate the user and give them access to their content. There is no "secondary" PS4. It's every other PS4 in the world.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I mean the account you're investing money into will not be the account you're investing time into.(Achievements, unlocks, rankings etc)

That is not correct. The account you will be buying games on will be the same you are playing on and earning everything. See the graphic above. One copy of the game that is "owned/paid" by one account is played by two different ones. The "home" designation for a machine frees you from having to have your account logged in on that machine to play the games. So anyone else in that household can log in with their own account and play whatever is downloaded to the machine, much like PS3 now. Everyone in the "home" device gets their own saves, trophies... but they never bought the game.

Zoe

That is not correct. The account you will be buying games on will be the same you are playing on and earning everything. See the graphic above. One copy of the game that is "owned/paid" by one account is played by two different ones. The "home" designation for a machine frees you from having to have your account logged in on that machine to play the games. So anyone else in that household can log in with their own account and play whatever is downloaded to the machine, much like PS3 now. Everyone in the "home" device gets their own saves, trophies... but they never bought the game.

Let's not forget it grants Plus online play as well!

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Just to make sure we're on the same page

So the easiest way to share the cost of next gen is to partner up with someone and share access to accounts.

Person A buys content on account A on PS4 A but plays on account B
Person B buys content on account B on PS4 B but plays on account A

I'm criticizing this while assuming Person A and B are living in separate households

Not the image posted on this page.

It really isn't even remotely complicated. They explained it simply and quickly in July. The official video I posted is now in the OP and takes 35 seconds to watch.

It only gets complex if you want to manipulate it to gameshare, and even then it's hardly rocket science.

You're right, I hadn't seen the video when I made the post. Thanks for putting it out there

AndyD

aka andydumi
Just to make sure we're on the same page

I'm criticizing this while assuming Person A and B are living in separate households

Not the image posted on this page.

Even clearer is:

Person A makes Account A have Home on PS4 B.
Person B makes Account B have Home on PS4 A.

Person A buys content on account A and plays on Account A on PS4 A (but can also play any games from account B as PS4 A is Home for account B).
Person B buys content on account B and plays on Account B on PS4 B (but can also play any games from account A as PS4 B is Home for account A).

Remember any account (A-Z) on a machine can play all games from another account whose Home is on that machine.

Again, for in home use it's no biggie, it only gets complex for gamesharing.

Top Bottom