• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Overwatch Animated Short: "Rise and Shine"

These videos always upset me. That Overwatch the game is relegated to simple MP with no story beyond logs is infuriating. They invent all of these interesting characters and do all this world building outside of the actual game.

it's like if after the first Bioshock trailer, the game turned out to be an arcade racer.

I hope someone at Blizzard is putting together an actual Overwatch game, and they just haven't announced it yet.

Would you play a MP only game if it had no lore and unique characters?

Not sure how some people say this proves that the team that makes these can make a feature length movie. It's pretty but that's kinda it. I liked the short but, let's not assume or expect movies.
No, I don't think so. Every short I've seen is beautifully animated, but full of cliches and mediocre dialogue

Pretty much.

Would you play a MP only game if it had no lore and unique characters?

Millions of people play Call of Duty.

It's Incredible that you are trying to chew me Inside Out over this when all I'm saying is that Blizzard's CG team is on the Up and up. You really are Brave.

Fff

EndMerit

Can we get some fanart of Punished Mei?

You know, I'll just start it myself.

3xX5g6F.png

A.J.

Banned
Probably didn't know anything for sure, but I doubt she had much of a choice. It's possible the data set that she had (with the news articles and stuff) possibly kept tabs on other stations nearby.

As for why they didn't check on her, since it's an Overwatch station then shit might have been kept secret for some reason. Raises the question about why Mercy or Torbjorn or someone didn't go down there to check in, though.

My main problem is the short didn't even allude to any of this and it seemed like one of the big interesting problems she was facing.

To address the writing issue, Blizzard should hire Chet Faliszek and Eric Wolpaw lmao

Really good short tho, my favourite one so far

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I really hate the facial animations. I'm going to call it whimsy face.
I would say it's problems with the model specifically and not the animation as that part is good and nuanced:

the model's face is just....flat I would say, the crucial part that these films seem to miss is that the modeling team seemed to straight up ignore muscle groups. And thus they're missing that tension that REALLY sells any given expression like a smile, or grief.
Hr8dzhD.png

tracer_sad.png

Tracer.jpg

vs:
Fred-big-hero-6-37691331-245-250.gif

tumblr_mxeg00iici1s3s22so2_250.gif

giphy.gif

This short is definitely their best effort at nuanced animation tho.
r5l5xr8.gif

they've come a long way from this:
69cb61ef329d954713fea8560892e505.gif

I can't help but think she went through a lot to get a portion of Winston's motivational speech that doesn't actually help her get outta there.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Hopefully this leads to more fanart that doesn't depict Mei as extremely thin but somehow with incredibly large breasts and hips:
BTsaIXT.gif

yeah, she is filled out, but that don't doesnt mean having an axnorexic waist like some idealized hourglass

Chindogg

This is kinda funny, because looking it up, Pandaria came out after the second KFP film. Did people complaining SEE the second film? Christ.

Back on topic, what kind of tone are people looking for from a world like Overwatch's??? Political intrigue and all that bullshit is cool, but I just want to see these characters used and in motion. It's a decidedly lighthearted franchise.

I dunno if robots recovering from PTSD, scientists seeing the decaying corpses of their colleagues, and agents witnessing their personal political heroes killed in front of them because they failed to stop an assassination attempt is exactly lighthearted in tone.

Wouldn't this make more sense for a villains origin? "Overwatch forgot about me and all my friends are dead as a result, fuck Overwatch"

Mei would be a cool villain, pun fully intended

Shubh_C63

I don't know.
The voice acting just didn't sell it for me.

Bastion and Dragons were still Top 2 best Animated short from Overwatch by faaar.

Blues1990

Already posted my impressions on the main OT, but I'll repost it here:

I just watched the new animated short.

-It wouldn't be a Blizzard game without references, so I love that Mei has a Murloc mug.
-From what I can tell, it seems Mei is pretty chummy with her co-workers. Neat.
-That Uprising Spray of Mei in her jammies is a fun bit of foreshadowing.
-Now we definitely have proof that she is indeed T H I C C and it wasn't just the illusion of heavy clothing. In short, SUCK IT!
-Okay, I was not ready for these feels. Goddamn it.
-I knew the subject itself would be depressing, based on what we already knew about Mei's story and the hints on the ECO-Point Antarctica map, but damn they did a great job making that a really emotional short.
-Also, I really hope we get both her jammies and that arctic gear as future Mei Legendary skins.
-We also need that Snowball high five as an emote.
-With only a few hours, Mei manages to design and build a portable version of her climate-manipulation tech, literally out of a box of scraps.
-The scientists dying was genuinely sad, but don't you try to pull that dead battery shit on me.With how the seasons work in the arctic, Mei would've been alone for months until the solar panels charged up.
-Mei preparing a final cup of tea/coffee for her friends crushed me. Goddamn it (again).

Also, here are some screen caps of the Murloc mug that was mentioned:

I would say it's problems with the model specifically and not the animation as that part is good and nuanced:

the model's face is just....flat I would say, the crucial part that these films seem to miss is that the modeling team seemed to straight up ignore muscle groups. And thus they're missing that tension that REALLY sells any given expression like a smile, or grief.
vs:

maybe a Junkrat short will break the mold. If there'sanyone who shouldn't get a porcelain doll face, its him.

Nepenthe

I dunno if robots recovering from PTSD, scientists seeing the decaying corpses of their colleagues, and agents witnessing their personal political heroes killed in front of them because they failed to stop an assassination attempt is exactly lighthearted in tone.

It's about the depiction. These things aren't shown in any kind of detail or nuance that would be particularly out of bounds of your typical modern Disney film. They're decidedly mature themes if you give them any significant thought or dive into fanon, but at the same time I'd have no ethical hang-up with showing any of the official shorts as they are to my five-year old nephew. On top of that, Overwatch as a governmental entity or idea is a pretty positive depiction for humanity in general; gathering a bunch of ragtag people of all races, genders, sexualities and creeds under one banner. Then on the gameplay level-- I mean, look at the events and customization options. I don't get Orwellian existential dread when I see Soldier: 76- one of the more tragic and dour heroes- dressed up as a barbecue dad complete with socks and sandals combo.

Hopefully this leads to more fanart that doesn't depict Mei as extremely thin but somehow with incredibly large breasts and hips:
BTsaIXT.gif

Let's be real though, Mei is still quite idealized for her body type, Blizzard's waifu game is just strong enough to still include some variance in their near perfect knockouts. XD

This video was adorable. Finally getting to see casual Mei was great.

DylanEno

Cute. VA was pretty bad and the overall product felt like a direct to video interpretation of Disney's current animation style, but still. Cute.

Blues1990

BTW that Murloc mug is on sale at the blizzard store lol.

Huh, didn't know that was an acutal thing. My friend needs a new mug, and since she plays a lot of Warcraft/HOTS, I'll get one for her as a surprise gift.

Bedhead/pajama/v1 freeze gun Mei is 100% going to be a legendary skin, as well.

Yep, I'm definitely calling that. I do hope Snowball's High Five becomes an emote, as it's super cute. I wouldn't be shocked if the ECO-Point Antarctica map will be updated with the mugs near each station.

Giolon

Where did I ask for edge? My complaint was that I find these shorts are overly simplistic and dull.

You also said they were childish, which is the part I was responding to. Most of the shorts are quite dark, some explicitly, others implicitly. I don't think "all my friends are dead" and "I'm going to die here when this place runs out of power" is childish. It may not be the most sophisticated examination of the human condition, but that's never been Blizzard's approach.

Apathy

Just going to say it. Mei has the thing parasite in her. It's the only thing that makes sense with some of those background details

Top Bottom