• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Month After Release Only 30% Of Final Fantasy XV Players Finished It, Now It's 60%

Falchion

Yeah it's definitely not that high across all users but I could see it being 60% among users that are concerned about trophies like on PSN profiles.

Laws00

I'm at the end and i just don't want to beat it or feel like beating it.

The DLC i'm not even interested in it anymore.

Was cool at first and then im like i cant do this I got other things i want to play then then promptos came out and i played like 15 or 20 min of it and im done i cant do this anymore

Strings

It's a pretty huge number actually, considering how people consume their games nowadays, even if it's just 20 hours.
It means they can bank on spin-offs/DLCs since they already hooked a lot of people.

Don't think we can equate finishing to being hooked >.<

Like, I platinumed the game, but strongly dislike it (because it was easy, I'm an idiot, and wanted to have a relatively informed opinion).

I did the same thing with Type-0 and Shadow of Mordor. There's something wrong with me :(

TheCed

Don't think we can equate finishing to being hooked >.<

Like, I platinumed the game, but strongly dislike it (because it was easy, I'm an idiot, and wanted to have a relatively informed opinion).

I did the same thing with Type-0 and Shadow of Mordor. There's something wrong with me :(

I feel you...
But I understand why I do that. I just can't stand seeing a 21 % complete besides all the others games that I 100%. Because I'm dumb and I'm obsessed with achievements.

I have the digital pass or w/e the hell it is and haven't touched any of it after the first few weeks. I'll come back to it once they are done screwing around with everything and it's finally deemed a finished "GOTY" version.

synce

60% sounds way too high for any RPG, I'd love to hear the specific details of this "internal analysis"

glaurung

60% sounds way too high for any RPG, I'd love to hear the specific details of this "internal analysis"
It is not very hard to finish the game. I was motivated to complete it to see the story wrap up.

I was also disappointed after that.

I'm actually really enjoying my second playthrough now that I know what's going on. That doesn't excuse the pisspoor writing or scenario flow, but now that I know what each scene is supposed to show, the story is actually really good. That's my main criticism of FFXV's story - It's a good story told badly.

theofficefan99

Because the main story is only like a dozen hours long. Nothing to boast about IMO

It deserves to be finished. The ending is amazing.

The ending was complete garbage just like the rest of the story. Completely contrived and nonsensical, just like the rest of the story.

Edit: lol seems like Tabby's lying about the numbers. Whatever it takes to justify his awful directing

Rellik

It really is. I'm usually shocked when an ending trophy earns above 20%.

I think last I checked, Witcher 3 was hovering in the 30% range on PS4 which was quite pleasing and higher than I expected(DLC was sub 10% for both packs though)

Yeah I just looked at Witcher 3 on PSN for comparison.

screenshot_20170824-163sbd.png

screenshot_20170824-1f5j5g.png

theofficefan99

Do you ever get tired of saying the same shit over and over again? The game will be an year old soon ffs get over it.

On topic, that seems really high for an rpg. They have to be using some weird spinny metric.

I'll get over it once XVI is announced.

Oh so now it's twelve hours? This game gets shorter with every salty post on GAF it seems.

Obviously I exaggerated a tad, but it's really not long. I would say just focusing on the story alone is around 15 hours and that's including the mandatory driving. Most story chapters are like 30 minutes or less. Chapter 8 is less than 10 minutes long, same with Chapters 11 and 12. Type-0 was the same shit, also directed by Tabata. The "linear second half" is 6-7 hours long including Chapter 13 which is 3 hours long.

No, the ending was fantastic.

Why? Because it tried to evoke the "feels"? Everything about it was either contrived, unearned, or an asspull, or a combo of 2 or more. The final scene is especially eyeroll-worthy.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm one of those who went back to the game after nearly a year off and finished it up.
The conclusion in the end fell flat but hey, overall I enjoyed the characters and the world and am interested in seeing more (specific story beats aside).

Mild ending scene spoiler
picking a ridiculous creeper boobs picture as the photo led to a frankly hilarious melodramatic throne scene, the contradictory imagery made it all worth it.

I stopped mid-chapter 13 originally for reasons everyone who got there know.

I finished it within the past few weeks.

Loved my time with it, loved the ending too.

Edit: how different was chapter 13 from its original version?

Hesemonni

Banned
Be it ~40% or 60% depending on where you look at, but that's still pretty impressive for a RPG in this day and age.

I'm still to play the damn thing.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I finished it within the past few weeks.

Loved my time with it, loved the ending too.

Edit: how different was chapter 13 from its original version?

chapter 13:
Noctis' part is unchanged as far as I can tell. The difference is that you have the option to play as Gladius with Ignis in tow and can swap freely between Noct or the two at rest stops. Gladius and Ignis play the same areas, storywise they follow Noctis trying to catch up with him, gameplay is normal with weapons and all.

chapter 13:
Noctis' part is unchanged as far as I can tell. The difference is that you have the option to play as Gladius with Ignis in tow and can swap freely between Noct or the two at rest stops. Gladius and Ignis play the same areas, storywise they follow Noctis trying to catch up with him, gameplay is normal with weapons and all.

The doors open quicker too, at least in Gladdy's section.

chapter 13:

I only did it as Noctis so means I got the original experience. I honestly don't think it was that bad - maybe due to everyone complainimg about it meant I sort of braced myself. I didn't mind it at all

Ferr986

Why? Because it tried to evoke the "feels"? Everything about it was either contrived, unearned, or an asspull, or a combo of 2 or more. The final scene is especially eyeroll-worthy.

With that reasoning you could say the same on about every FF ending, like X, for example.

I'm glad it's been cleared up but those who thought it was based on trophy data forgot that there are multiple FFXV trophy lists for many regions. In Australia, my list is separate from North America's list, and both are separate from Japan's.

With that reasoning you could say the same on about every FF ending, like X, for example.

The entire game was building up to the ending in FFX. It's the farthest from an asspull you can get.

To clarify, FFX is a game where the player inexplicably seems to come from the past and goes on a journey with a summoner who attains summons in order to face a threat named sin that terrorizes its world. But these elements are all connected. But Tidus, Sin, and the lost city of Zanarkand all function within the very mechanic that drives the games - summoning. They're all dreams. Tidus and Zanarkand exist as memories of the past, existing artificially in perpetuity. Sin exists to protect that past. Even Yuna's summons exist as dreams.

Relieving the world of Sin means ridding the world of those summons and letting the fayth "sleep." So of course along with Sin both Tidus and her summons disappear. And there you have the ending of FFX.

I'm glad it's been cleared up but those who thought it was based on trophy data forgot that there are multiple FFXV trophy lists for many regions. In Australia, my list is separate from North America's list, and both are separate from Japan's.

oh yeah, i forgot about that.

Ferr986

The entire game was building up to the ending in FFX. It's the farthest from an asspull you can get.

I know, but the same applies wirh FFXV. I'm just saying that the argument that the ending is sad because "evoke the feels" is just a shit argument that could be aplied with every FF ending. I wasn't citicizing FF X, just using an example (the ending is the best part of that game).

I know, but the same applies wirh FFXV. I'm just saying that the argument that the ending is sad because "evoke the feels" is just a shit argument that could be aplied with every FF ending. I wasn't citicizing FF X, just using an example (the ending is the best part of that game).

Does it apply to FFXV? Does FFXV successfully portray a cohesive world? The ending to FFXV felt like the witnessing the ending to a game I didn't play.

Mabase

I am actually waiting for the story patches to be complete. Started the game in February, put about 40 hours in and quite enjoyed it.

Then Zelda came along...

But don't fear Tabata, I'll finish it!

Waji

30% on one system and 28% on the other... it's still less than 30% of players, certainly not 60%.
And people buy it again, lol. Square Enix is the master of turning negatives into huge positives.

That's not how percentages work though &#55357;&#56853;
Still it convinces the fans, so why bother to tell the truth.

I'm calling bullshit on that.

30% of FFXV owners completed the game in the first month!? That's rather high.

I love stats and since I'm a stat dork, I always enjoy looking at the percentages of who has what trophies/achievements. Look at any single player game and the majority I have seen, a smaller percentage actually finish a game.

In fact, there's usually a pretty steep drop off between completing a Chapter 1 level vs a Chapter 2 level.

Dr Thor

Neo Member
I really was disappointed in XV for the 25 hours I played, but I'll probably go back and finish it now that some major patches have come out. Sadly they won't be patching my biggest complaints about the game, which would be the simplistic action and basically nonexistent magic system -- but I'm hoping the PC mod community will do something on that front :)

Weirdly what's inspired me to eventually finish it is watching a speedrun of the game recently, the runner was talking about it being a relaxing, fun speed-game and I can kind of see why. Thinking to clear up the rest of the game and try an NG+ speedrun and see whether I take to it.

patchday

When did final fantasy games get so short?

just drop it down to easy mode. You will be literally immortal (Ruby Light).

Just not sure how great of a game it is though. It feels so epic in many places esp towards the end where it becomes great all of a sudden

I'm calling bullshit on that.

30% of FFXV owners completed the game in the first month!? That's rather high.

I love stats and since I'm a stat dork, I always enjoy looking at the percentages of who has what trophies/achievements. Look at any single player game and the majority I have seen, a smaller percentage actually finish a game.

In fact, there's usually a pretty steep drop off between completing a Chapter 1 level vs a Chapter 2 level.

Are you aware PS4 owners can choose not to upload their trophies? You just simply cannot go by that. Only the devs knows this info more reliably and even then its not perfect because many might play completely offline

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
It's funny how they come up with these numbers when everyone can check the actual trophy/achievement rarity on their PS4 & XONE.

Zzzonked

Even DayZ is a better early access game than FFXV. Bought it day one and stopped playing after the
time skip
. I loved the four bros, the anime prequel and parts of Kingsglaive but the rest of it was garbage imo.

Top Bottom