• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: New Previews

Can Ellie die during gameplay?

Yes, it's mentioned in that Gametrailers interview by Geoff Keighly.

Regarding the Infected, I'm listening to the Blogcast and the ND guys say the Clickers are level 2 Infected. I thought the Clickers were level 3?
If that's true, I wonder how level 3 looks like.

Domino792

Some people have pointed out that in the previews that you can see some things set to October 2013 and one point showing October 17, 2013. Could be teasing something upcoming or it could be nothing more than the game story but it does seem like its on purpose for something.

Two of the pictures people found

Edit I've been told it pertains to the story so never mind.

i-Lo

Some people have pointed out that in the previews that you can see some things set to october 2013 and one point showing october 17, 2013. Could be teasing something upcoming.

Perhaps unveiling for ND's next title around the time of TGS.

Gadirok

God damn I'm hyped for this! TLoU and GTV5 will end this gen with a bang!

GTV5? Grand Theft Vehicle 5 works too.

So did anyone read the comic?

I going to wist because I bought the SE.

Not going for Special Edition, a Regular edition is good enough for me. I wanted the Steel book but from the looks of things I missed out on the promotion. I'm going to have to settle on a coupon for $50 off one of the playstation headsets instead. Too bad I already own the Pulse headset so I might just give it away to someone else on the Canadian Gaming Deals Thread or try to trade it for someone's steelbook.

Either way, I think I am going to shy away from the thread too and back off now along with gaf. It seems like a solid game from what I got from Colin. His Guacamelee preview was solid too and locked me in for day 1 (but that was also because I had a itch for that game as soon as I heard it was announced).

Too much fanboy mudslinging going on right now, and I often let myself fall into that cesspool and am likely to get burned. So I'll probably return a week before E3 to board the hype train. I don't want to read spoilers for the game, and am trying to forget what I already know. Later.

Loudninja

Damn I feel like I am talking to myself here lol.

Ellie can also be of assistance, but is not invulnerable. Right off the bat Joel has to come to her aid as she is squirming with a large hunter. After that she can practically take care of herself by finding items around the environment and using them to her and Joel’s advantage. She will chuck bricks and bottles at hunters to stun them while keeping out of sight and waiting for our hero to do his work. While you can’t directly command her, the sense of randomness feels refreshing mainly because the AI seems systematically smarter than any other game.
The Last of Us isn’t your run of the mill third-person shooter, either. The gunplay feels more like a survival horror game than anything else as, not only is ammunition a rare commodity, but Joel doesn’t exactly have the steadiest of hands when aiming. Rightfully so, as in such serious and tense situations, I don’t expect anyone would be as well composed to take perfect shots. Not only are there guns but a bow can be picked up to offer a silent but deadly approach to some situations. It’s definitely something to look into as not attracting too many infected is always a good idea, but it comes as a risk because it’s much more difficult to aim and can give your position away.
http://www.hardcoregamer.com/?p=40686&preview=true

Yeah, I have the comic. It provides a nice insight into the world ND has created.
Cool,I think I will read it before I play the game.

GTV5? Grand Theft Vehicle 5 works too.

Not going for Special Edition, a Regular edition is good enough for me. I wanted the Steel book but from the looks of things I missed out on the promotion. I'm going to have to settle on a coupon for $50 off one of the playstation headsets instead. Too bad I already own the Pulse headset so I might just give it away to someone else on the Canadian Gaming Deals Thread or try to trade it for someone's steelbook.

Either way, I think I am going to shy away from the thread too and back off now along with gaf. It seems like a solid game from what I got from Colin. His Guacamelee preview was solid too and locked me in for day 1 (but that was also because I had a itch for that game as soon as I heard it was announced).

Too much fanboy mudslinging going on right now, and I often let myself fall into that cesspool and am likely to get burned. So I'll probably return a week before E3 to board the hype train. I don't want to read spoilers for the game, and am trying to forget what I already know. Later.

Missed out?

nib95

Banned
The Joel Edition of this game is out of stock in both Tesco Direct and Amazon in the UK. Anyone know which other places are stocking the Joel Edition?

Gadirok

Missed out?

Logged back in for the Resistance thread, but it was basically a retailer promotion that had a steelbook available if I preordered online paired with the regular edition of the game (no need to get special edition). I missed out on the promotion since it was only for 3 days while supplies lasted.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I can't help but wonder if The Last of Us would be better without zombies in it. My absolute favorite parts were the ones with humans, in the depths of their depravity, brutally attacking Joel and Ellie. Either way, I'm sufficiently excited, as the game is leaps and bounds more challenging and unique than I thought it would be going in. I can't wait to be backed into a corner, five enemies approaching slowly, with one bullet left, ready to protect Ellie at all costs. Bring it on.

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-the-last-of-us-253913.phtml

Zemm

That multiplayer hype! The only way it won't disappoint me is if it's a more polished ND take on DayZ, that would be incredible but also incredibly unlikely.

Man

I wonder how long it will take other studios to reach the level of believability seen in The Last of Us.
First of all there seems to be some intricate emotional expression in enemies where they grin when physical damage is dealt, panicked look when shoked etc. The way they move around seem very reactive to what's happening in the combat situation in what weapons the main char is using, if he has any ammo left, if there are friends around and so on. The animations, physics and 'heft' seems impeccable. They chatter, they curse... You have all the contextual combat moves and there's also the whole buddy A.I in Ellie on top of all this.

The amount of sub-systems and how well it works in concert seems like it's on a completely new level with TLoU.

Cyberia

It’s evident that a strong emotional bond will be formed between the player and Ellie – and in a far more efficient manner than the ‘hero and girl’ dynamics recently seen in Bioshock Infinite. Her witticisms are even quite revealing, often offering insights about this new post-apocalyptic world that she was born into.

When it comes to the combat, The Last of Us is a real challenge. Your weapons are often slow and the aiming controls in the game are heavy and bordering on clumsy; but in an uniquely realistic way. It has a completely different feel to Naughty Dog’s Uncharted and often in The Last of Us, picking up a gun will be secondary to simply just legging it to safety.

There are problem-solving elements in The Last of Us, which on the surface might consist of carrying planks of wood around with you. But they’re executed in such a fashion that they never feel repetitive or like a chore. This could be partly because the character animations are exactly what you’d expect from the studio that delivered Uncharted and simply watching Joel cart things around is a joy. The attention to detail in the character models even extends to Joel’s backpack, which accumulates the weapons you pick-up.

The Last of Us demonstrates just how good survival-horror titles should be. Naughty Dog appear to have solved that perfect balance of action, storyline, great controls and horrific suspense. With the weeks counting down to the 14th June, it won’t be long now until we get to see if this game will be worth the wait. But my money is on ‘hell yes’ and we’ll be sure to bring you the full review soon.

http://nzgamer.com/ps3/previews/1114/the-last-of-us-hands-on.html

My biggest takeaway is how different the various sequences in The Last of Us feel. While the game has an overall tone of survival and character development, the way in which it is delivered changes dramatically. I've now played three separate portions of the The Last of Us, and all three have an incredibly different feel and pace; yet, somehow, they all seem to work.

http://www.gamezone.com/previews/2013/05/17/preview-surviving-the-last-of-us-again/2

Not sure if posted, but here is a tech breakdown on some of the facial/body rigging differences that went into this game (compared to U2).

http://youtu.be/myZcUvU8YWc

The eyelid tech looks really nice

Sweet jesus no! "Now that the Uncharted series is over, we had the opportunity to re-evaluate certain things." I'm sure he's just speaking generally, but it still made my eyes go wide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=myZcUvU8YWc#t=858s

Thanks for posting this btw. Despite not fully understanding a lot of the technical details, I always find watching these things fascinating.

dummydecoy

Anyone else disappointed about the lack of object shadows when using the flashlight? Only humans and zombies have them, tables and chairs have none. Doom 3 did it 9 years ago. It's just something you expect when you have a flashlight.

Everything about the game is perfect but that and it makes me sad. Will still buy the game though. Hope the PS4 version has all the bells and whistles.

elliersyuc.gif

gunnyd3bij.gif

iiHp0nDjxpakc.gif

Anyone else disappointed about the lack of object shadows when using the flashlight? Only humans and zombies have them, tables and chairs have none. Doom 3 did it 9 years ago. It's just something you expect when you have a flashlight.

Everything about the game is perfect but that and it makes me sad. Will still buy the game though. Hope the PS4 version has all the bells and whistles.

elliersyuc.gif

gunnyd3bij.gif

wait for ps4 version... I wish

I'll totally double dip if they have some ps4 ver director's cut. extra area to explore, extra dialog bit, new weapon, new creatures, gameplay tweak based from feedback etc.

UrbanRats

Sweet jesus no! "Now that the Uncharted series is over, we had the opportunity to re-evaluate certain things." I'm sure he's just speaking generally, but it still made my eyes go wide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=myZcUvU8YWc#t=858s

Thanks for posting this btw. Despite not fully understanding a lot of the technical details, I always find watching these things fascinating.

I can only hope.
Do you really want another mediocre prequel like GoW Ascension and GoW Judgment?
Let them move on, they're too good to be held down doing Uncharted forever.

i-Lo

One thing to note is that alongside the context sensitive chatter that substantively adds to the immersion, TLoU also looks to be one of the few and the first ND game which takes into account the issue of ludonarrative dissonance and as a solution is looking to make each (human) confrontation feel jarring.

I really thank ND for doing this because I've been unable to play another game in the same vein that has been lauded for having game mechanics that are at odds with the moral dilemmas the protagonist faces in cutscenes which promptly disappears when game"play" is resumed.

Sucks dude. There are a lot of these deals recently and since I like steelbooks this is quite handy for me. There is a similar deal currently going on with Beyond, where you can get the steelbook with extra content for the same price as retail when you pre-order. Locked it in for £39.99 recently :)

I can only hope.
Do you really want another mediocre prequel like GoW Ascension and GoW Judgment?
Let them move on, they're too good to be held down doing Uncharted forever.

I agree that they're too good to be held back by any one series. I just think it'd be nice to see Uncharted 4 on PS4. There's no reason it has to be mediocre. If tLoU has shown us anything, it's that they're comfortable deviating from their "one IP per gen" structure.

I agree that they're too good to be held back by any one series. I just think it'd be nice to see Uncharted 4 on PS4. There's no reason it has to be mediocre. If tLoU has shown us anything, it's that they're comfortable deviating from their "one IP per gen" structure.
I just don't want them to jump the shark with Uncharted. Too much can eventually put a bad mark on a franchise, look at Gears.

If they have some genuinely good new ideas and refreshing direction for the series, then I'm all in. If its Uncharted 2 in a new setting again then I'm out

I want them to take some creative risks like they have with TLOU

UrbanRats

I was already kind of bored by the Uncharted shenanigans with 3, to be honest (Unch 2 was great) and i don't think they need to work on Uncharted to wow us visually (as Last of Us and Jak prove) so i really don't see a real benefit in dragging on that series.
But of course, if you loved Uncharted 3, i can see your point of view.

this game is launching at a really bad time, ND should have released it in May IMO. It will be completely dwarfed by the E3 next gen hype

this game is launching at a really bad time, ND should have released it in May IMO. It will be completely dwarfed by the E3 next gen hype

Copies wil probably be sent this or next week, if the trend of sending first party game for sony holds true. And reviews will likely be out a week before E3, so there will be time for its hype. Plus, people who are hyped for E3 are a small % of people who buy games. These people would have already read reviews and know if they are gong to to buy it anyway.

Sucks dude. There are a lot of these deals recently and since I like steelbooks this is quite handy for me. There is a similar deal currently going on with Beyond, where you can get the steelbook with extra content for the same price as retail when you pre-order. Locked it in for £39.99 recently :)

u1SK3nb.jpg

¬¬

Probably about the only perk of working in retail :p

I'm a little bit bummed out by the lack of shadows, even though I didn;t notice it until that post with the gifs

AKyemeni

Someone before posted a tweet stating that European journalists are getting a peek at MP this week. Does someone have a link to that tweet?

Someone that I know is also invited to a private The Last of Us event with developers and actors in London this Friday. Since it is apparently 4 hours long, it probably is the MP presentation...

Top Bottom