• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Redout |OT| - #WipEout #F-Zero

Peterthumpa

w0MZjm7.png

Quick and dirty |OT|, please understand.

About the game

Platforms:
Steam / 34BigThings (little cheaper)
PS4 / Xbox One (Early 2017)

Redout is a tribute to the old racing monsters such as F-Zero, WipeOut, Rollcage, and POD. It is designed to be an uncompromising, fast, tough and satisfying driving experience, soaked in that vertigo that stands at the core of the arcade racing genre. The floating system and driving models are based on physics: each turn, slope, hard braking, acceleration, each turn and twist of the track will apply a unique force to the ship. A sharp low-polygon style blends meshes and terrains with the latest state-of-the-art shading and lighting effects provided by the Unreal Engine 4, creating beautiful and instantly recognisable aesthetics. Breezy coastlines, eerie frozen landscapes, vast desert plains: the melancholic, dystopian atmosphere of a semi abandoned Earth is the background for the most high-speed, tense and beautiful futuristic racing clashes.

Key Features

Online multiplayer – match against 12 players around the world for a real challenge
VR Support – Oculus Rift, HTC Vive or Razer OSVR
Career mode – 75+ events to race, experience, level up and upgrade your ship
A Diverse World – 20 tracks scattered around 4 locations on a post-apocalyptic Earth, plus boss circuits
Never bored – 7 event types, from classic Race to innovative Arena Race and Score-Based Endurance
Create your story – 6 racing teams, each requiring a different driving approach, and 4 increasingly fast racing classes
Powerup – 10+ racing-focused, upgradable powerups: additional turbo, shields, self-repair drone, advanced grip system, slipstream enhancers, and more
Music for your ears – full 5.1 support and a dynamic soundtracks

Screenshots:

Screenshot_015.jpg

Screenshot_012.jpg

Screenshot_010.jpg

Screenshot_004.jpg

Screenshot_005.jpg

Videos:

Gamescom Launch Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr_BQyO6MbI
E3 2016 Gameplay Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OLVNDQfmCo

galv

Unconfirmed Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPLrwqd4eXY

TotalBiscuit did a great video on it, really looks to be a lot of fun.

I personally love futuristic racers, F-Zero GX in particular, and this seems to be more in the Wipeout mould than in the F-Zero GX mould, but I'll look to pick it up if it gets a little cheaper. I'll probably pick this up before I play Formula Fusion though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPLrwqd4eXY

TotalBiscuit did a great video on it, really looks to be a lot of fun.

I personally love futuristic racers, F-Zero GX in particular, and this seems to be more in the Wipeout mould than in the F-Zero GX mould, but I'll look to pick it up if it gets a little cheaper. I'll probably pick this up before I play Formula Fusion though.

Ship upgrades are.... Hrm. Not sure how I feel about that.
If the "better ships" are just more specialized version, that aren't flat out better, but maybe handle certain things better and worse in some other aspects, then alright. If the upgrades are then just further "specialization", then alright. But if huge swathes of the vehicle roster are completely nullified by money making better ships, then I'm not very happy with that.

Lunar15

While I'm definitely interested in checking this out, we've got to stop putting WipEout and F-Zero in the same bucket, since they're really only similar in asthetic only.

I've really yet to see anything put out by anyone that resembles F-Zero X or GX, everything's way closer to WipEout.

Peterthumpa

While I'm definitely interested in checking this out, we've got to stop putting WipEout and F-Zero in the same bucket, since they're really only similar in asthetic only.

I've really yet to see anything put out that resembles F-Zero X or GX, everything's way closer to WipEout.

Yeah, I know. "F-Zero" was just bait.

drotahorror

Was kind of shocked at the $34.99 but if it's good, then it's worth. Still gonna wait on some impressions before I bite.

Unicorn

Anyone looking for WipEout, but for free, check out BallisticNG on Steam.

This looks like F-Zero tracks with WipEout ships. Definitely wishlisting!

Guppeth

Out of interest. The 'Out' comes from Wipeout, but does the 'Red' come from Redline?
A redout occurs when the body experiences a negative g-force sufficient to cause a blood flow from the lower parts of the body to the head. It is the inverse effect of a greyout, where blood flows away from the head to the lower parts of the body. Usually, a redout will only ever be experienced by pilots, as planes are the most common devices that allow such negative g-forces to be exerted. Redouts are potentially dangerous and can cause retinal damage and hemorrhagic stroke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redout

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
This is crazy in VR. I'm having to turn down a few fx to get it to run smooth but it's amazing.

I've been waiting a long time to play something like Wipeout in VR. It's amazing.

Looks amazing, I'm in if there's 144hz support.

There is.

Buburibon

I've really yet to see anything put out by anyone that resembles F-Zero X or GX, everything's way closer to WipEout.

Being an F-Zero fan I went in not expecting to like it very much, and sure enough I didn't. The handling model/gameplay feel has got nothing to do with F-Zero. It's definitely more in line with Wipeout and its narrow tracks and floaty ships/controls. That being said, I'll play it some more, and hopefully as my proficiency increases, RedOut will eventually become an "acquired taste" of mine. :p

MutFox

Banned
Being an F-Zero fan I went in not expecting to like it very much, and sure enough I didn't. The handling model/gameplay feel has got nothing to do with F-Zero. It's definitely more in line with Wipeout and its narrow tracks and floaty ships/controls. That being said, I'll play it some more, and hopefully as my proficiency increases, RedOut will eventually become an "acquired taste" of mine. :p

Was hoping more F-Zero like... :/
At least there's no weapons.

Hope there's more impressions soon...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
This is crazy in VR. I'm having to turn down a few fx to get it to run smooth but it's amazing.

I've been waiting a long time to play something like Wipeout in VR. It's amazing.

Is there a cockpit view for an even crazier sense of speed?

vermadas

There's a hood view, but no cockpit right now. They claim that the cockpit view was inducing motion sickness more than the other cameras, which they acknowledge is backward from how it usually is. It sounds like they are open to putting it in, but they want to work out the sickness issue first. Enough people are demanding the feature on the Steam forum that I would bet it comes sooner than later.

Quantum

There is.

I'm using oculus - its the first time I've felt a bit disoriented using it - in a good way.

I still have to tweak it a bit but I'm loving it in VR, the only issue I have now is the names of the other pilots seem to be handled kinda of wonky - the square with the name following above breaks a bit of the immersion for me.

The sense of speed is fantastic. will have to try it without the oculus - eventually.

(980ti)

Skyzard

Banned
^ it goes up to 200fps lol :S

Thanks for the OP, subbed.

I felt like it definitely had some f-zero, not pure wipeout at least. And the tracks were wide imo...

I'm having a lot of fun with it, just unlocked Class II. Crazy speed, fun handling, great visuals, music, and so far the tracks are great!

Just spent an hour with it, going to take a break before getting some upgrades for my class II.

I think you can see the past (and first) hour I spent with it here: https://www.twitch.tv/skyzaro/profile
In the past broadcasts section, earliest part on the right. Changed it to 60fps at some point, I think second video.

Haven't tried it in VR yet, not sure if it works with DK2, but you can cycle views in normal mode between:

First person
Above the front of the ship (basically like a cockpit view imo, but without being inside)
Behind the ship
Further behind the ship

Quantum

I'm not sure why people say there are no weapons - there are active upgrades to the ship - I haven't gotten it yet - but there is an EMP choice - so there are ways to damage other ships.

- I'm trying to launch this in non-VR mode - it refuses to launch if the rift is plugged in but not active?
(mini-edit: I got it to launch by deactivating "steam VR" mode before starting the game - not intuitive.

Lettuce

Good god this runs awful on my machine (i7 4GHZ, GTX970, 16GB RAM, WIN10), even changed the settings to low and it didnt help.....unless its a Gsync 144hz issue!

Kysen

Impressions below:
Rig
i7 4770k stock
GTX 1080
16GB RAM

2D
-Running locked 60fps in 2d mode everything on max @1440p. Flawless
-Handling is great and using both sticks works way better than the default wipeout setup of having to double tap to strafe.
-Music is good and really suits the vivid tracks.

VR(Vive)
-UI is easily readable and its far easier to navigate than other VR games.
-It has hard locked twice now completely bugging out Steam VR. Requiring me to log off just to kill the running processes.
-Zero nausea even though there is no cockpit mode. You are seated on top of the ship.
-Noticeable framedrops on certain parts of the track. Going to run MSI Afterburner to confirm.
-Feels way slower than in 2D mode, not sure if its just the ship I'm using or maybe they have toned it down when in VR. The sense of speed can be best described as doing 60mph in a real car.

Edit: hard lock number 3, not gonna bother till its patched in VR.

robotrock

Banned
Any soundtrack impressions?

If it's got a custom soundtrack option I would love to slot in the Wipeout HD/Fury soundtrack

Tankshell

I'm not sure why people say there are no weapons - there are active upgrades to the ship - I haven't gotten it yet - but there is an EMP choice - so there are ways to damage other ships.

- I'm trying to launch this in non-VR mode - it refuses to launch if the rift is plugged in but not active?
(mini-edit: I got it to launch by deactivating "steam VR" mode before starting the game - not intuitive.

Having the same issue. How do you deactivate steam VR mode before launching it?

Peterthumpa

Impressions below:
Rig
i7 4770k stock
GTX 1080
16GB RAM

2D
-Running locked 60fps in 2d mode everything on max @1440p. Flawless
-Handling is great and using both sticks works way better than the default wipeout setup of having to double tap to strafe.
-Music is good and really suits the vivid tracks.

Is 1440p your desktop resolution? I'm not sure if the game is actually running @ anything else besides 1080p, and that's with the resolution scaling option set to 100%.

fernoca

Hope this sells well, might give Nintendo a kick in the pants to try to release another F-Zero.
Doubt Nintendo will decide F-Zero's future, on a PC (at the moment) game. After having their own Wii U with FAST Racing on eShop and retail soon, and trying to get other studios to make one and been turned down.

This will be mine anyway when it comes to consoles in 2017.

Kysen

Is 1440p your desktop resolution? I'm not sure if the game is actually running @ anything else besides 1080p, and that's with the resolution scaling option set to 100%.

Yes, I can tell because any game that runs in 1080p when I alt tab back chrome and any other maximised windows would be tiny.

Having the same issue. How do you deactivate steam VR mode before launching it?

On startup I got asked if I wanted to run it in SteamVR or not. Does it work differently with the rift?

epmode

Wow, I'm getting my ass handed to me. Is there an equivalent to Wipeout's airbrakes here? "Strafe" doesn't appear to be the same thing and the brake function slows me down too much to use on most turns.

Tankshell

Yes, I can tell because any game that runs in 1080p when I alt tab back chrome and any other maximised windows would be tiny.

On startup I got asked if I wanted to run it in SteamVR or not. Does it work differently with the rift?

If I choose start normally, it still opens up Oculus Home and tries to enable Steam VR. Only way to stop it is to physically unplug my rift which is super annoying.

epmode

I hope that's not true. The image sure seems soft at 1440p but I figured it was some kind of post processing. Why would anyone resolution lock an Unreal Engine game?

edit: I turned antialiasing and postprocessing to to low. It's definitely running at 1440p.

edit edit: I'd still like some pointers on how you're supposed to race in this game. Is there an equivalent to Wipeout's airbrakes or is Redout its own thing?

Ezalc

This game looks really good but from what I've seen it looks more like Wipeout which is not really my cup of tea. Disappointed that only wipeout seems to have these spiritual successors and nobody is trying to make a game that plays like F-Zero. I'll probably pick this up in the future, but for now I'll pass.

vermadas

If I choose start normally, it still opens up Oculus Home and tries to enable Steam VR. Only way to stop it is to physically unplug my rift which is super annoying.

I wonder if there's a command line option to force flatscreen mode. -novr or something like that.

There's also this on the Steam forums:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/517710/discussions/1/350540973991605243/

edit edit: I'd still like some pointers on how you're supposed to race in this game. Is there an equivalent to Wipeout's airbrakes or is Redout its own thing?

TotalBiscuit's video talked about having to use the right-stick.

Synth

Am I missing something, or is this the rubberbandiest AI in racing game history?

The difference between a 1st place and 5th place seems pretty random, and doesn't appear to have any relevance to the lap times I'm putting in. When I'm in the time trial events, the game's like "well done! gold! you rock!"... then I race the AI, I'm just constantly hovering between 1st and 4th like the other ships are just orbiting around me.

Top Bottom