• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie: "more to be announced" for Switch 2017 lineup

Noticed this in the new Waypoint interview and thought it deserved its own thread.

Austin Walker said:
Waypoint: So, Reggie, great to see you again. E3 2017 is here, and for me the big push for Switch this year, for Nintendo this year, was, at least for the Spotlight, was "Hey, we have Switch games coming. We have a lot of games coming this year, a lot of them are multiplayer focused, and by the holiday, we will have a really respectable catalogue." And then there were also a few gestures towards the future: Yoshi, Kirby, Metroid Prime 4, Pokémon. And I'm curious what you thought of the response to those promises so far. Has that been largely positive, or mixed, or–

Reggie Fils-Aimé: The response to what we've showcased, and it really is just a small tip for 2018, has been exceptionally positive. You've got fans seeing Metroid Prime 4, hearing that Mr. Tanabe, who's been involved in all of the Metroid Prime games, is going to be at the helm of that, the fans are tremendously excited. To hear that there's going to be a core Pokémon RPG experience on the Nintendo Switch, the fans are incredibly excited. To see a traditional Kirby experience, with him inhaling enemies and copying abilities, fans are excited about that. And then the Yoshi game that we showcased, with that unique, you know, motion to go "behind-the-scenes," so to speak, has people really intrigued. So just by showcasing those four games, and giving a little bit of a taste, yeah there's a lot of excitement to what 2018 can hold.

But to be clear, we look at E3 in the here and now. Our focus is on games that are largely going to be available between now and the end of the holiday season. And when you look at that lineup, there's a strong game coming literally every month, starting tomorrow with Arms, and then Splatoon 2, then in August is the Mario + Rabbids game, September, October with Super Mario Odyssey. We've got that great pace of content, and I can tell you there's more to be announced.

Could this explain why Mario Odyssey is releasing in October rather than November, seemingly leaving Nintendo without a tentpole release for the holiday months? Or have they announced the full 2017 lineup, meaning he's just referring to dates for FE Warriors, Skyrim, and Xenoblade 2? Or is he just referring to third-party releases? It's not clear, but interpret this as you will.

DMONKUMA

More indie titles.

Ah he didn't specifically say more stuff being revealed in 2017, but still wouldn't doubt more indies being announced for the system.

maxcriden

I don't think that quote empirically indicates there's more games to be announced for this year, at least not how I read it... Maybe he does mean this year though and just specific dates? I don't expect any further first party retail games at least.

Sin and Punishment rumor could still be true?

Want theatre from an E3 rumor with lots of other false info that said it was playable on the show floor?

Wonder if he's talking about third-party/indie stuff in there. I'll be surprised if there's another AAA first-party game coming but I can definitely see some smaller stuff, eShop games, or a remaster or two coming.

Also...

You've got fans seeing Metroid Prime 4, hearing that Mr. Tanabe, who's been involved in all of the Metroid Prime games, is going to be at the helm of that, the fans are tremendously excited. To hear that there's going to be a core Pokémon RPG experience on the Nintendo Switch, the fans are incredibly excited. To see a traditional Kirby experience, with him inhaling enemies and copying abilities, fans are excited about that. And then the Yoshi game that we showcased, with that unique, you know, motion to go "behind-the-scenes," so to speak, has people really intrigued. So just by showcasing those four games, and giving a little bit of a taste, yeah there's a lot of excitement to what 2018 can hold.

Not taking it as a confirmation or anything since it's probably just misspeaking against the company line, but the wording makes it sound like he's calling MP4 and Pokemon for 2018.

FelipeMGM

please

giphy.webp

Wonder if he's talking about third-party/indie stuff in there. I'll be surprised if there's another AAA first-party game coming but I can definitely see some smaller stuff, eShop games, or a remaster or two coming.

This is how I see it. But I also year think any remasters for this year would have been announced.

maxcriden

fuck mother 3, where is animal crossing

Next year, after the mobile game makes a splash.

Also...

Not taking it as a confirmation or anything, but the wording makes it sound like he's calling MP4 and Pokemon for 2018.

Agreed with you on both counts! I expect an eShop game or two is possible at any time. I guess I will say I don't expect any remasters this year because I'd expect those to be retail and I don't think there will be any more retail first party games beyond what's been announced - and depending on what it's a remaster of it may distract from current new titles at this point (like a Skyward remaster for example).

(Of course I'd be thrilled to be wrong and see more remasters. But I'm not even convinced we'll have VC by the end of the year. Though, maybe VC is exactly what he means... Whichever form it comes in.

I still think there's a decent chance of Smash 4 being announced in July, August, or even September for a November release. Maybe I'm crazy, but it strikes me as less weird than Nintendo not having any tentpole release in November.

I don't think there's much chance of an unannounced original retail game in November or December, though, unless it's something pretty small-scale.

Ridley327

Ultra Sun/Moon is totally gonna be their November title, so no real speculation there.

They typically release a game in November for each of their systems. It is definitely strange that nothing is on the schedule for Switch yet on that front, though I imagine it won't mean anything more than them being optimistic that Xenoblade 2 could be done in time for that month than the December date most are expecting.

JJH

I don't think that quote empirically indicates there's more games to be announced for this year, at least not how I read it... Maybe he does mean this year though and just specific dates? I don't expect any further first party retail games at least.

Want theatre from an E3 rumor with lots of other false info that said it was playable on the show floor?

A man can dream can't he.

Top Bottom