• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Streetpass Experiences

Jazzem

Got two when in Swansea the other day. One of them had "Oh hai guise" as their message...:p

I was worried having the system in a fairly thick case in a rucksack would limit its wireless range significantly, but I guess not.

Teknoman said:
Now for Street Fighter, you probably have to have the game on.
Nope, I got two figure battles while my 3DS was sleeping with Pilotwings in it. You just have to make sure you set up your team and activated streetpass.

I live in a tiny ass town, so I know damn well I won't get anyone. I might be heading to MLG on the weekend, so if I'm gonna get any hits, I know I'll get some there!

As sad as this will sound, I think StreetPass is the equivalent to WiiConnect in the 3DS... it won't work as intended, and it will do nothing in the long run.

DisenLedZep said:
As sad as this will sound, I think StreetPass is the equivalent to WiiConnect in the 3DS... it won't work as intended, and it will do nothing in the long run.

If you don't live in Japan.

dreamfall

Wait- if I've created a Mii, and launched street pass, should it work automatically? I spent most of today (4534 steps) with my 3DS at the homescreen- does it not work unless you are in the program? No hits yet!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
shadyspace said:
If you don't live in a big city or travel a lot.
fixed.

Could streetpasse yesterday with to people in dusseldorf/germany. Guy and a girl - i was suprised xD

The dude even had straat fighter, this was the first street pass figurine match for me and i won ;-)

Teknoman

lunchwithyuzo said:
Nope, I got two figure battles while my 3DS was sleeping with Pilotwings in it. You just have to make sure you set up your team and activated streetpass.

Cool, i'll see what happens tomorrow.

Busaiku said:
I got a friend's Mii, but I can't use it in Find Mii.
Do I have to do something? Because I can't really interact with his Mii at all (at least in Mii Plaza).
If you got it through Street Pass, you have to use it right then - as in, the first time you enter Mii Plaza after StreetPassing some people, only in that session can you use them in Find Mii and the puzzle.

I'm actually looking forward to going to school tomorrow, and I've got a final I haven't studied for. Now that's playing with power!

Sorry I am a bit behind. What is streetpass exactly? The 3DS send out a constant signal that other 3DS systems detect, and adds a Mii from any system it detects? What do you do with these people you "meet"?

Izayoi

Banned
DisenLedZep said:
SpotPass =/= StreetPass.

And good news, SpotPass works great. Got the first update from Capcom earlier today. Pretty neat.

angelfly said:
Anyone know if demo kiosk have streetpass enabled?
Disabled by default. Unless someone got into the Home menu using the bypass and knew where to go and what to change you probably won't have any luck.

beje

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
Sorry I am a bit behind. What is streetpass exactly? The 3DS send out a constant signal that other 3DS systems detect, and adds a Mii from any system it detects? What do you do with these people you "meet"?

For the Mii Plaza, you can use them to advance in a couple of minigames. For the rest of the games both "passing" people share, it's up to each game. For example SSF4 has a action figure battle, Nintendogs adds people you pass in real life to the streets in the game and Ridge Race shares ghost data records. And you don't need to have games running, just configure StreetPass on on each game/app and all possible data will be exchanged at once when the system is on sleep mode with wireless on.

I'm going to make a cute female Mii to troll Streetpassers.

At the same time, I wouldn't take my 3DS anywhere outside of maybe the office for breaks.

I have no one to troll. DDD:

beje said:
For the Mii Plaza, you can use them to advance in a couple of minigames. For the rest of the games both "passing" people share, it's up to each game. For example SSF4 has a action figure battle, Nintendogs adds people you pass in real life to the streets in the game and Ridge Race shares ghost data records. And you don't need to have games running, just configure StreetPass on on each game/app and all possible data will be exchanged at once when the system is on sleep mode with wireless on.

Okay that's pretty freaking cool. To be honest I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the original GBA. I really have missed a TON of great Nintendo games over the past few years. My thought was I could buy a 3DS + 3DSware or whatever it will be called, and catch up on a significant amount of the games I have missed. Sound like a plan? :)

Izayoi

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
Okay that's pretty freaking cool. To be honest I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the original GBA. I really have missed a TON of great Nintendo games over the past few years. My thought was I could buy a 3DS + 3DSware or whatever it will be called, and catch up on a significant amount of the games I have missed. Sound like a plan? :)
The eShop will have 3DSWare titles and DSiWare titles, but full DS games still need to be played via the cart.

Not that it should discourage you. DS has hundreds of fantastic titles, and dozens of games that I would consider to be some of the best of their generation. The home consoles just don't have as huge of a library of gems as the DS (and arguably the PSP) do.

Izayoi said:
The eShop will have 3DSWare titles and DSiWare titles, but full DS games still need to be played via the cart.

Not that it should discourage you. DS has hundreds of fantastic titles, and dozens of games that I would consider to be some of the best of their generation. The home consoles just don't have as huge of a library of gems as the DS (and arguably the PSP) do.

You don't think they will be releasing full DS titles onto the thing remastered over the next few years?

Izayoi

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
You don't think they will be releasing full DS titles onto the thing remastered over the next few years?
You never know, but I would bet against it.

They might do something similar to Xbox Originals, but I'm not sure about the remastering thing. I know that they're going to be offering demos of 3DS games so I'm sure they have the capability of allowing full DS games to be downloaded and played - whether they'll capitalize on that ability is a different story, though.

wsippel

Banned
The_Inquisitor said:
I wouldn't rule it out. It has happened with DS games, titles that were retail in one region became downloadable DSWare games in other regions. That wasn't an option for many DS games due to the DSWare size limit, but with the much bigger storage the 3DS offers, I think we might see a few full DS games released as downloadable titles on 3DS.

panda21

i really like how they encourage you to use streetpass by having the pedometer thing, and trying to persuade you to put it to sleep instead when you switch it off

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Only one so far.

I think I need a better greeting. I also doubt I'll get over 1% in music compatibility with anyone.

eXistor

I take my 3ds to work and keep it on standby. So far I've gotten 1 hit (my colleagues not included). I expect it to go up in the coming weeks. I work in a gameshop so I should get some hits here and there.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I've walked probably 6 miles around London and Brighton in the last 2 days, had my 3ds with me, I got 2 hits, one in London and one in Brighton. Come to think of it I must have walked past 4 or 5 demo units so I guess they don't have it turned on, which seems like a wasted opportunity.

I think it's great as an incidental thing, getting home and realising I've got a notification is kind of cool. I really hope no one tries to turn it into something you pro-actively seek out though because it will start to get creepy as fuck, I can just imagine the crowd of grown men hanging around school gates hoping to get some streetpasses before work.

Mdk7

Found someone on the train two days ago.
I didn't see anyone actually playing, but we exchanged our Miis... when i got the notification and saw i had company in Mii plaza it made me smile.
Fuck you Nintendo, you're turning me into a stalker. :)

No hit so far but I've only taken it to my workplace and I go there by mountain bike - not too many opportunities for street-passing I guess. Will try in the city on the week end. Gameshops is probably the safest bet I guess.

WinoMcCougarstein said:
Nothing for me yet. Of course, I haven't really been out and about with the thing. It brings back memories of when I'd go into Pictochat on the old DS just to see if anyone was in there. There never was :(

I used to do this too :(
I remember when I first moved into a new block of flats, one night I randomly fired up Pictochat and somebody was in one of the chat groups!
So I joined and wrote hello........ They disconnected.
Not even a single reply. That is my entire Pictochat history :'(
(except getting 4 DS' together and having epic games of Hangman with family. Those days were pretty cool)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
glaurung said:
Cannot access Mii Plaza - gives the error that this feature is not available in my region.

WTF is this shit.

What region are you in? Sounds like it's borked.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
glaurung said:
Cannot access Mii Plaza - gives the error that this feature is not available in my region.

WTF is this shit.

The fuck? Pictures!

mclem

No hits on the journey to-from work for a couple of days, but we'll see how it goes when I go into town on Friday to do my weekly food shop.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Got one Mii walking through Newcastle today, only in there for half an hour in a Macdonald's so I'll see what happens later.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm loving the streetpass quest thing. Got a couple of colleagues in the office with a 3DS so I now have a small team. Only shame is that I can only use hats on my streetpass mii. I'd like to use it both on the mii's in the mii maker (so it shows up in games etc) and also I'd like to put cat ears on my friends :)

I got one while walking through town the other day, was really pleased as I practically live out in the countryside so not that many chances.

glaurung

VOOK said:
The fuck? Pictures!
Will take some later tonight, when I get home.

Mainland Europe 3DS that came with mostly Scandinavian manuals, 0-day update applied.

The local retards were not able to translate the user manuals into the local language in time so technically the consoles should not be on sale at all. EU regulations.

I've had a fair few round my uni - about 7 total. I get a little bit excited each time as it's rather cool. I'd only been up an hour today and got one!

My favourite one is that I Streetpassed someone I know - but I didn't actually see them that day, so they uh, must have gone past on the floor below or just somewhere nearby.

dk_

How much batterie does sleep + wireless drain? Streetpass is a cool feature, but I also want to play games on the go.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
beje said:

do you know how the Ridge Racer one works? Do you have to have done streetpass duels, or just time attack races to register? Can't work out what is supposed to be shared..

Maxirugi

dk_ said:
How much batterie does sleep + wireless drain? Streetpass is a cool feature, but I also want to play games on the go.

Yesterday I left my house around 1pm, went to work, streetpassed 7 miis, briefly played with the mii plaza and a few rounds of street fighter, and returned home just after midnight. When I checked it, the battery still said it was full.

Top Bottom