• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead Survival Instict Revealed

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I have to feel sorry for Terminal Reality if that's true about the initial reveal being an early work in progress.

Imagine thinking "OK we've got a year/two to get this done" and then Activision management comes along and ago "Right guys and gals that looks decent enough, get it out for March ta!"

I just don't know what goes on in Activisions managements heads, hell even the great games like Singularity got totally ignored.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Imagine thinking "OK we've got a year/two to get this done" and then Activision management comes along and ago "Right guys and gals that looks decent enough, get it out for March ta!"

Activision Minneapolis only really looks ahead a full year at most. The majority of the titles they develop under that division have a dev time of 6 to 8 months. I'd be surprised if TR had more than a year to develop this initially.

Given the likely timeframes and budget, they've done as good a job as could be expected. It's a tough job to ship anything under that pressure.

mileS

Well the game looks a lot better than the videos released 2 months ago lead to believe. I actually might check it out now. Maybe (please stop me) but Daryl!!! :(

You know that actually looks kind of fun. I might actually find myself enjoying the game. Course even then it's not going to be something to write home about I'm sure. So again is anyone going to make an OT for this game?
I wasn't planning on it but I can if no one else wants to. It'd be very bare bones though.

I'll be streaming this tomomrrow during the day. I'll be sure to post the link. I think some of the ideas will be neat, but think the story won't pay off in the slightest.

ezekial45

Banned
I'll be streaming this tomomrrow during the day. I'll be sure to post the link. I think some of the ideas will be neat, but think the story won't pay off in the slightest.

How's the survivor system? They mentioned that you can recruit survivors and send them out on missions a la Assassin's Creed and Peace Walker.

How's the survivor system? They mentioned that you can recruit survivors and send them out on missions a la Assassin's Creed and Peace Walker.

Well you can do side quests to help people and they will join you, but depending on how many people you have, and the size of your vehicle, you can only take so many. The people are used for gathering item resources. Can pick what to send them off to get. More people you send and the weapon you give them give a better survival rate. You also collect fuel. It appears that everytime you beat a mission, it lets you pick if you want to do three options. The fastest uses the least gas with no chance for stopping. Middle is about average, and back roads take the most gas but more chanes of stopping. Not sure what happens if you run out of gas. The game has random (I think they are random... not sure) points that will say "Hey you can explore this area for supplies" or sometimes stuff like "Hey a car is blocking the road, go the long way or move the car". I don't know how all this effects the story and it seems a bit simplistic but it does add a bit instead of just being a shooter. Which reminds me. This game appears to be more reliant on melee and style. Shoot a gun and you can swarmed... sad thing is, when you get surrouned by a group, you get stuck in this grabbing animation, and sadly keep getting stuck in it unless you kill all the zombies. Unless there is a way to known them back. I don't think the game will be liked by many but it looks to provide something more then just shooting in a genre that usually has just that. Also zombies can bust doors down.

Well you can do side quests to help people and they will join you, but depending on how many people you have, and the size of your vehicle, you can only take so many. The people are used for gathering item resources. Can pick what to send them off to get. More people you send and the weapon you give them give a better survival rate. You also collect fuel. It appears that everytime you beat a mission, it lets you pick if you want to do three options. The fastest uses the least gas with no chance for stopping. Middle is about average, and back roads take the most gas but more chanes of stopping. Not sure what happens if you run out of gas. The game has random (I think they are random... not sure) points that will say "Hey you can explore this area for supplies" or sometimes stuff like "Hey a car is blocking the road, go the long way or move the car". I don't know how all this effects the story and it seems a bit simplistic but it does add a bit instead of just being a shooter. Which reminds me. This game appears to be more reliant on melee and style. Shoot a gun and you can swarmed... sad thing is, when you get surrouned by a group, you get stuck in this grabbing animation, and sadly keep getting stuck in it unless you kill all the zombies. Unless there is a way to known them back. I don't think the game will be liked by many but it looks to provide something more then just shooting in a genre that usually has just that. Also zombies can bust doors down.

right bumper (at least on xbox, don't know for other consoles) shoves walkers back. If you do it right when one starts to grab you, you can prevent the grab.

Of course, if you're mobbed by a bunch of them, it's harder to get out of, but you may be able to get lucky by spamming it, heh.

I like to lure a horde of zombies near a car, jump on top of it, then bash each and every one's head in with a pipe. Feels good man.

I'm playing the PS3 version which looks completely awful compared to the 360 version. If you have a choice go with the 360.

right bumper (at least on xbox, don't know for other consoles) shoves walkers back. If you do it right when one starts to grab you, you can prevent the grab.

Of course, if you're mobbed by a bunch of them, it's harder to get out of, but you may be able to get lucky by spamming it, heh.

Yeah if you get in a huge swarm and you get one down with the grab attack, just spam the knock back button immediately after. Can usually get you out of it! :D

I like to lure a horde of zombies near a car, jump on top of it, then bash each and every one's head in with a pipe. Feels good man.

I'm playing the PS3 version which looks completely awful compared to the 360 version. If you have a choice go with the 360.
They can't climb up cars? That's silly.

Also what's wrong with the PS3 version?

Also what's wrong with the PS3 version?

The 360 videos posted in the other Walking Dead thread looked pretty sharp to me. I'm seeing nothing but blurry textures all over the place in the PS3 version. I took this screen shot of a truck turned over sideways on the road, and while it looks sharp from one side, the other side looks awful. It almost looks like the textures failed to load or something.

blurrymess_zpsba8d4252.jpg

jaaz

Holy crap that looks bad. The melee animation is the same each time, the reaction of the walkers is the same as well, the blood splatter is the same, and the walkers fall down like if they were cardboard cut-outs. The only thing that made me smile was hearing Darryl's signature voice.

Top Bottom