• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape 3 (VLR sequel) "difficult to realize", problems with funding

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the fuck?! It hasn't even started yet!? FUUUUUUU!

I never kickstarted anything in my life (nor I want to), but I would to get a ZE3 on Vita.

LiK

People keep saying it sold terribly.

Anyone have any rough numbers from territories and (for the the sequel) platforms?

Edit: ^^^ Jesus christ that picture has been through hell.

No numbers but I think it did well for Aksys. I guess it did poorly in Japan.

Shiina

People keep saying it sold terribly.

Anyone have any rough numbers from territories and (for the the sequel) platforms?

Edit: ^^^ Jesus christ that picture has been through hell.

duvl.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464910

This is apparently the only week it showed up in sales. No numbers because it's so far down. The Vita version must have sold even worse.

jkanownik

An episodic format wouldn't fit the structure of the series at all. The huge draw is the completely non-linear progression of the story and that wouldn't work if they had to force the game to fit in an episodic format.

You couldn't do it like this?

blK81qc.png

Zoator

UGH.

This is awful, awful news. I hope he reconsiders the Kickstarter route. I mean, there's really not much to lose by trying. I've never backed anything on Kickstarter before, but I would be on this the instant it went up.

Normally I would suggest that if nothing else, he could at least write the final chapter of the story in print so we could get some closure. However, given how the first two stories really could only be told in games, I'm not even sure that would work.

This has to be the worst gaming news I heard in ages.

I'd been assuming that ZE3 was well into development, never realised 1 and 2 sold so badly in Japan.

Why ya gotta let me down Japan? This just make's VLR's disappointing ending harder to swallow.

Great idea, screw over the story due to the financial uncertainty which will be present for every game out there.

You aren't going to have financial uncertainty for proven franchises like Halo, God of War, or MGS, they can get away with doing whatever.(and I would have been fine with something like MGS2 not getting a direct sequel)

If you're some guy who's barely making by or if its the first game then yes maybe you should consider giving a story some small sense of closure. KOTOR 2 was something that had a big cliffhanger yet provided enough closure in case a sequel was never made.

Even though I understand where they're coming from, I irrationally take all my rage-blame out on people who said they'd buy VLR used because of the principle of not the save bug.

Those six additional sales would have greenlit this, assholes!

Atolm

Welp, 2014 is ruined for me in regards to gaming. Worst possible news, I expected an announcment soon, but not this one ;(. Also I don't understand how Danganronpa can be so sucessful and yet ZE isn't. Danganronpa is great as well, but with the grotesque story, the executions and so on, I find it 100x times more niche than ZE.

Even though I understand where they're coming from, I irrationally take all my rage-blame out on people who said they'd buy VLR used because of the principle of not the save bug.

Those six additional sales would have greenlit this, assholes!

I bought it with full knowledge of the save bug, and just didn't save in the places you weren't supposed to. If you gave yourself a 5 or 10 minute window it wasn't hard at all to avoid.

Can't say I'm surprised by this news considering how low the Japan sales for this series is. Extremely disappointing, since I was really looking forward to the third game.

kurbaan

Banned
Wow this is devastating. Have been waiting for ze3. The vita version Is the only game I have ever platinumed and it actually was something unique on a handheld.

I am guessing these games require a lot more money. People suggesting 100k kickstarters are way off. Even just to shown interest I think the kick starter would need to be at least a million or way more.

I'd never survive the series not continuing after the way VLR ended.

This would be a disaster of HL3 proportions to me.

I'll kickstart whatever to large amounts. Seriously.

hohoXD123

You aren't going to have financial uncertainty for proven franchises like Halo, God of War, or MGS, they can get away with doing whatever.(and I would have been fine with something like MGS2 not getting a direct sequel)

If you're some guy who's barely making by or if its the first game then yes maybe you should consider giving a story some small sense of closure.

Except you are. Even with those franchises it's not 100% certain that the next game they release won't bomb in comparison to previous titles and the publisher won't subsequently tell them to make something else.

If giving some small sense of closure is going to hurt the story of either that particular title or the entire series then I would rather they avoid doing so and go with the assumption that a sequel is possible.

Kolma

Here to pay my respects...
I've actually been wearing my watch since I came back from vacation in NY this past Thursday (forgot the charger to smartwatch at parent's house)
What irony :(

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I've never backed a single kickstarter so far. But I'll back the crap out of this if it's the only option.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
just launch 999 and VLR on PC to get some money, I would buy them both (again)

I'd imagine if there's funding issues for a sequel after the ios ports attempting to convince the powers that be to fund PC ports for Japanese games will unfortunately be out of the picture.

neshcom

Banned
Jesus, the worst news ever right here. VLR may have been the biggest mind fuck game I've ever played and I need a sequel more than I need to breathe. I would gladly put up $50 on a multimillion Kickstarter today. ;_;

I bet they don't do a KS in the end though. If they can't get crowdfunding, they'll forever know the sales numbers aren't there.

wrowa

You couldn't do it like this?

blK81qc.png

Well, if you don't mind to spoil yourself the structure of VLR this is the flowchart that shows how the game progresses. Keep in mind that unlike Walking Dead (almost) every turn leads the story in a completely different way, so that a) it would be incredibly annoying to never be able to finish one of the threads until the release of the last episode and b) the episodes would need to become more and more and more complex with each release. I don't it's reasonably possible, really.

fek

This is from Road's website, it uses Famitsu numbers.

NDS Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors {2009-12-10} - 16.967 / 39.653

3DS Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward {2012-02-16} - 7.890 / 17.913
PSV Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward {2012-02-16} - 6.133 / 15.454

Itsuki

Really bad news.... I loved 999 and VLR and I've been waiting for ZE3 since I beated VLR in 2012.
If they decided to do a Kickstarter, I would give them all of my money.

73V3N

Banned
I'd imagine if there's funding issues for a sequel after the ios ports attempting to convince the powers that be to fund PC ports for Japanese games will unfortunately be out of the picture.

I think they both have assets that could easily be ported to a PC version but yeah I guess even that little money would be hard to get for them

Feep

Banned
What the fuck does "not persuasive enough" mean? I would drop five hundred dollars on a ZE3 game, no joke.

So sad :-(

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
What fucked up world is this where 2012's GotY can't get enough funding for a sequel?

brb, killing myself.

Cody_D165

Banned
stevecarellnooooo.gif

Seriously fucking depressing. If this game never exists it will be an absolute injustice in the world. I would buy consoles for this game.

Really hope they try Kickstarter.

This is from Road's website, it uses Famitsu numbers.

NDS Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors {2009-12-10} - 16.967 / 39.653

3DS Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward {2012-02-16} - 7.890 / 17.913
PSV Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward {2012-02-16} - 6.133 / 15.454

Yep, those definitely aren't great.

Would love to see western numbers.

Especially around VLR's release, a lot of people seemed to be buying up 999.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom