• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Will Be The Rare, Hard-to-find Wii U Games?

I think this game was released physically only in Japan while it was digital only in Europe and the US. Or was it digital only everywhere?
So few people bought this game that I feel like even my digital copy is rare :3
Fist_of_the_North_Star_Ken_s_Rage_2.png

This still being full priced digitally on both Wii U and PS3 blows my mind.

At least the digital-only release of One Piece: Unlimited World Red dropped with the other versions to $20.

Loved it!! I was very active in the OT for this game. I played it through twice!! Itagaki the man!!

Only played single player, never tried multiplayer and now multiplayer is turned off now. I should do another single player play through again soon.

Made a mistake man. The multiplayer was really entertaining. Unfortunately the best time to play was the very beginning as they would unlock one of the ten multiplayer modes each week and offer 5x XP so everyone would go play that mode. After they finished that you could basically only find a match in deathmatch. Though the small community would organize to play different modes in the evenings. The servers should not have been restricted between NA and Europe.

Once BotW is more stable and running well on that emulator, the Wii U version will skyrocket in price on the secondary market and never come down.

You're assuming there's a ton of people who would buy a copy to emulate.

LaB_NL

Ryu ga Gotoku 1&2 HD for Wii U?

I took a dive an bought a copy when it released, just to be set on the shelf. Sealed ofc.

jonjonaug

Dang this thread is making me want to get Tokyo Mirage Sessions, I saw a couple of copies while browsing some Gamestops earlier today. I may pick it up tomorrow sometime...

From what I've heard it's better to get it digital because of load times for random encounters being better than the disc version.

Once BotW is more stable and running well on that emulator, the Wii U version will skyrocket in price on the secondary market and never come down.
Now, now, let's not get crazy. Accusing individuals is one thing, but the truth is a lot of people who would think of emulating the game would also consider pirating it. Given you need a Wii U to dump the game anyway, there is an additional cap in the form of eShop competing with the physical market.

J@hranimo

Banned
It is on clearance at gamestop. Even online.

Yup, that's exactly where I saw it!

And for others that mention TMS, here in the states it's not too uncommon. I've seen it in Walmart, Target, Gamestop, and Best Buy.

From what I've heard it's better to get it digital because of load times for random encounters being better than the disc version.

I do remember that actually, although I'm not really looking to invest in the Wii U digitally anymore. Maybe this game will get a Switch release?

N4Us

People were hyping up Rapala for a while but I think that died down. I've seen it listed less times than Croods at least.

Bayonetta 2+1 are already fairly rare, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions will probably become more rare once supply is eventually bought up, kind of like what happened with Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Pikmin 3 also has a really high chance of being a rare find.

Other than that, I would imagine that some of the limited print indie physicals are the only other games that really have a good shot at retaining value.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Rodea is probably what you're thinking of. That game seems like it didn't do so hot since I still see copies of it pretty often and it goes around ~20. I'm kind of surprised since I thought being one of the last Wii releases might give it an edge, but it didn't seem to make a huge splash. I think they talked about the Wii disc being a first-run only thing, but it doesn't seem to have sold well enough for them to bother with a second print. It might have some novelty/cult value way down the line though.

The publisher didn't send out review copies for the Wii version so there wasn't a ton of official press for that version beyond "hey this is a kooky thing that exists".

Velcro Fly

Deciding whether to bite the bullet on Bayo 1+2 disc versions for like $50 on Amazon. I do not have the room to go digital on either and I really want to play them.

Disc version of standalone New Super Luigi U is also astronomical. I'd really like a copy of that too but the thought of paying $40+ doesn't sit well with me.

I Know Of Four Rare Games On Wii U, Three On Wii, Three On Old 3DS, And Six On New 3DS, All On Virtual Console

have I mentioned I hate title case

Hilarion

111131U_bonusLG.jpg

first run of this that has the wii disc was tiny, but the game sucked

The Wii version of that game most emphatically did not suck, it was one of my favorite titles that I played on the Wii U. The Wii U game that came in the box sucked, absolutely, but Rodea the Sky Soldier, Wii version, is a fantastic title and if it had come out in, say, 2010 rather than 2015, would've been a Wii cult classic.

Deciding whether to bite the bullet on Bayo 1+2 disc versions for like $50 on Amazon. I do not have the room to go digital on either and I really want to play them.

Disc version of standalone New Super Luigi U is also astronomical. I'd really like a copy of that too but the thought of paying $40+ doesn't sit well with me.

I mean a physical copy of NSMBU+NSLU is $54 new and $40 used.

I'll probably pick one up since it's a unique disc release despite owning physical copies of the games separately.

Dingens

Ryu ga Gotoku 1&2 HD for Wii U?

I took a dive an bought a copy when it released, just to be set on the shelf. Sealed ofc.

Yeah, this. The japan-only version of "Yakuza 1+2" for WiiU is probably going to be one of the most rare WiiU games worldwide. Don't know how many they made, but it couldn't have been many.

Also thought about buying it a few years back... but decided against it in the end for some reason

G0523

The next Just Dance game. Because it will be the last physically published game until the next Just Dance game after that.

I do wonder which will be more rare and/or expensive over time: the Wii version of Just Dance 2018 or the Wii U version? We thought Just Dance 2017 would be the final Wii game but Ubisoft surprised us all with Just Dance 2018. Lol.

catmincer

The Wii version of that game most emphatically did not suck, it was one of my favorite titles that I played on the Wii U. The Wii U game that came in the box sucked, absolutely, but Rodea the Sky Soldier, Wii version, is a fantastic title and if it had come out in, say, 2010 rather than 2015, would've been a Wii cult classic.

I grabbed this on holiday and never opened it. I'm gonna give the Wii version a try now.

zelda-breath-of-the-wild-wii-u-box-controller-error.jpg

Some copies of Wii U BoTW at launch had an error/misprint on the back cover. The error was claiming the game supported Wii controllers. Don't collectors usually love this type of shit?

i-Jest

I think the answer is going to depend on region. I can't speak for Europe, Japan, or Asia regions but here in North America (Canada) I find the following to be hard to come by catch reasonable price the last time I checked:

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
The Wonderful 101
Bayonetta 2 dual disk
Super Luigi U
Devils Third

Limited Editions like Rodea The Sky Soldier was kinda ridiculous the last time I checked. Europe and Japan definitely got releases we didn't so I can't comment much on that front. Is Fast Racing Neo still easy to come by?

Mohasus

I do wonder which will be more rare and/or expensive over time: the Wii version of Just Dance 2018 or the Wii U version? We thought Just Dance 2017 would be the final Wii game but Ubisoft surprised us all with Just Dance 2018. Lol.

Why would it be the final Wii game when it is the best selling Just Dance version?

Top Bottom