• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nikkei Trendy reports rumor that PS Vita Monster Hunter due for 2012H2

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Does Sony hold the conference during which they announced Vita last year every year? If yes, they may announce MonHan then.

Bullza2o

Would the Japanese market care if perhaps the Vita MH are spinoffs while the main series is 3DS exclusive? I don't know much about MH so I don't know what a "spinoff" would be like.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Why are people talking about a rumor like it's an official announcement?

Because this rumor corroborates with the pre-TGS rumor which is batting a thousand so far. And it also makes sense since Capcom makes 99% of their games on more than one platform.

Hold on, let me get this straight. Capcom is planning to release another entry in their most successful series, and on the successor to that series's historic home platform?

I dunno, you guys.

Corto

It still needs a price cut and a third analogue accessory/add on to revive it though. If none of that happens it is still doomed.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't see why you'd make a distiction between base and purpose when I pretty clearly spelled out the functional aspects between the lines. I can only assume you're thinking "base" in terms of console war allegience if you made that distinction, but what I'm saying is that audience follows function in Monster Hunter's case. Not Nintendo/Sony, but console/handheld, online/local and creation/refinement. Tri G throws a big fat wrench in that previous delineation.

I'm talking about two variations with different purposes. I'm not distinguishing by platform/'camp'. I think Capcom will want to continue to pursue that strategy because I think it probably nets them more overall. I don't think the audience for the different tracks in the past can be unified under one track without a loss in sales, I do think there was a certain common intersection between the audiences for both tracks.

That's just one suggestion though.

You also need to stop with the false equivalency to Tri/3rd.

I'm not saying it would be equivalent. I've conceded that bringing both lines onto portable as their 'home' would carry risks re. differentiation - just that I could still see them doing that regardless.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, is speculation? I can do that to: Given historical behavior of the publisher, is very likely that we will see a Monster Hunter title released for the Sony Vita sometime in the future.

Go at it Kotaku!

Alrus

Because this rumor corroborates with the pre-TGS rumor which is batting a thousand so far. And it also makes sense since Capcom makes 99% of their games on more than one platform.

The Pre-TGS rumor that predicted there would be a MHP3rd HD port to the Vita announced at TGS? Haha why would people even be exited about that and talk about it like it's going to turn the Vita's fate around?

It's this rumour coming from the same person anyway? And still, it should be considered a rumour, not a fact. That old rumor wasn't right on everything (where's Bayo 2?)

Edit: So it's not even a rumor? Just a prediction from an analyst? That's even worse...

1. It's already on iOS.
2. The MH team already works with small budgets and short-ish schedules, so I doubt they have much interest in making an "AAA" version when it already sells like hotcakes on portables.

Capcom has probably teams like ACTIVISION where they have full teams (plural) dedicated to MH franchise.

Sorry DP.

Didn't David Reeves hint at it too?

Yes, Reeves hinted both 3DS and Vita would be getting MH. Then again, he also hinted that the Vita game would be there at launch, which jives with the pre-TGS rumor (3rd HD for launch).

Since that didn't happen, everyone assumed Nintendo locked down the series (MH4 announcement reinforced that thinking) and/or Sony just bungled it.

patsu

Vita ("Life" in Latin) turns out to be a good name for the system. It keeps dying and reviving even before launch. Must have lots of lives. >_<

sublimit

Banned
Oh-oh.The people who were sure that MH was going to be a Nintendo exclusive this gen are going to get pissed.:eek:

Anyway this rumour is hardly unsurprising.

I'm talking about two variations with different purposes. I'm not distinguishing by platform/'camp'. I think Capcom will want to continue to pursue that strategy because I think it probably nets them more overall. I don't think the audience for the different tracks in the past can be unified under one track without a loss in sales, I do think there was a certain common intersection between the audiences for both tracks.

That's just one suggestion though.
I think that's entirely reasonable, but if that's going to happen for Vita I think you're more likely to get something like Portable Frontier than Portable 3rd G or Portable 4th. Again, the problem comes back to the mainline cannibalizing Portable's previous purpose.

I'm not saying it would be equivalent. I've conceded that bringing both lines onto portable as their 'home' would carry risks re. differentiation - just that I could still see them doing that regardless.
Sure, it just doesn't make business sense. Not that it's stopped Capcom before.

I wonder if the thread title was changed to Japanese analyst predicts Vita rumor in 2012 we'd still have the same responses...

It's not even a rumor...it's a prediction

Leave out the Japanese part, and GAFs anti-analyst instincts would definitely have been shutting this down left, right and center.

MightyKAC

The denial in this thread truly is LOL-worthy. Especially given the company and franchise in question.

Anyone looking at this with an ounce of objectivity would realize that this was never a question of IF but simply WHEN.

The denial in this thread truly is LOL-worthy. Especially given the company and franchise in question.

Anyone looking at this with an ounce of objectivity would realize that this was never a question of IF but simply WHEN.
The question is, who are in denial really:

those who think a franchise historically not-multiplat is not going to get multiplat on one the most uncertain consoles which is selling less that its predecessor and just a fraction of the rival; and also after not one, but two games being announced for the rival.

or those who despite of these, think it is going to get released on Vita just because it was on PSP and that Capcom loves to port everything (but MH)?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
People still believe in MH Vita ? It aint happening, Capcom and Sony semi-confirmed it.

Anth0ny

Whether this rumor is true or not, I think this is going to end up like Capcom/Gamecube/Resident Evil.

MH4 will be exclusive for 3DS for a while, and eventually will be ported to Vita because Capcom likes money.

The only difference here, is, Gamecube was doing nowhere near the business the PS2 was when they dropped the RE4 bomb. I'm not exactly expecting a Ps2 out of Vita >_>

Takao

Banned
Even if it did happen, why bother? The damage as already been dealt.

Does Sony hold the conference during which they announced Vita last year every year? If yes, they may announce MonHan then.

If Sony holds another PlayStation Meeting they'll be announcing PlayStation 4. They only hold those for new hardware announcements.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If Sony holds another PlayStation Meeting they'll be announcing PlayStation 4. They only ho/ld those for new hardware announcements.

Not true, I don't think. They used to hold them annually?

A PS Suite media launch could make sense for late Feb or early Jan :p Or GDC I suppose...

MightyKAC

The question is, who are in denial really:

those who think a franchise historically not-multiplat is not going to get multiplat on one the most uncertain consoles which is selling less that its predecessor and just a fraction of the rival; and also after not one, but two games being announced for the rival.

or those who despite of these, think it is going to get released on Vita just because it was on PSP and that Capcom loves to port everything (but MH)?

There are 2 givens here:

1. Capcom loves to port its games to a wide spectrum of systems and make very few console exclusive games nowadays, because...

2. Capcom loves money and since they won't need to put too much effort into porting this to the Vita (and / or the PSP / whatever else may tickle their fancy) it's a good bet that they can find a way to make money in this scenario.

To assume anything else given what we know is to be in denial.

People still believe in MH Vita ? It aint happening, Capcom and Sony semi-confirmed it.

Where was this stated?

Spiegel

Yes, Reeves hinted both 3DS and Vita would be getting MH. Then again, he also hinted that the Vita game would be there at launch, which jives with the pre-TGS rumor (3rd HD for launch).

Since that didn't happen, everyone assumed Nintendo locked down the series (MH4 announcement reinforced that thinking) and/or Sony just bungled it.

Not true. He talked about a Capcom game for launch and that game is UMvsC.

I'm thinking that at one point, MH3rdp HD was in development for the Vita, but Capcom scrapped it in favor of a MH3rdp G instead. It would make more sense than 3rd-> 3rd HD (Which wouldnt be different too much from 3rd from PSN on a Vita) -> 3rd G.

There are 2 givens here:

1. Capcom loves to port its games to a wide spectrum of systems and make very few console exclusive games nowadays, because...

2. Capcom loves money and since they won't need to put too much effort into porting this to the Vita (and / or the PSP / whatever else may tickle their fancy) it's a good bet that they can find a way to make money in this scenario.

Then Charelquin is in denial because he's explained repeatedly already that splitting the ad hoc userbase for MH portables would likely result in less sales of both. If Capcom loves money it makes more sense to stick to one platform this generation.

Apenheul

Where was this stated?

I can only find this, but it doesn't seem conclusive to me.

Sony Boss: No Current Plans For New PlayStation Monster Hunter said:
During an interview following Sony's pre Tokyo Game Show press conference, Reuters Japan asked Kawano if a new Monster Hunter will be released for Sony systems. "At present, there is no talk of a new Monster Hunter coming to PlayStation," replied Kawano.

"I don't know. You will have to ask Capcom," Hiroshi Kawano, President of Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, told Reuters when asked about the game.

Apparently Capcom said "never say never" when asked about Monster Hunter Tri on Playstation 3 (and guess what... we.. I mean the Japanese.. got MH3rd HD!!) .

There are 2 givens here:

Where was this stated?

It has been discussed to death why porting MH on two handhelds will most probably heart both its sale and appeal with a hard to recover damage

edit: beaten.

Apparently Capcom said "never say never" when asked about Monster Hunter Tri on Playstation 3 (and guess what... we.. I mean the Japanese.. got MH3rd HD!!) .
what has these two got to do with each other?

Top Bottom