• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT8| Elise's Extremely Irresponsible Field Trip To Un'Goro

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiibomb

I like this new elemental thing a lot... may be not exactly viable, but still is a whole new thing

yeah Ungoro is adding a lot of different things...

I already see why ragnaros was rotating out

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I have a feeling Elementals are going to end up being curve stone extreme.

Shaman card could be decent if comboed with Ozruk. 5/20 taunt, pretty good.

I bet you there is going to be some memey inner fire deck that makes use of Ozruk.

Dahbomb

The 7 mana card is better, curves right into Fire Elemental and creates multiple bodies with taunt. Not the beastliest of card but still decent, it's like a Dr Boom with a condition (ok it's still not as good).

The 9 mana card is a big bumbling idiot that gets killed by hard removal. Now if it had Spell Immunity then we might have had a card there.

If the card doesn't hit at least two elementals it's straight up a worse Ancient of War.

Oh and great... Mage got another common removal/burn for Arena.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Looking at this warlock legendary again.

It's a lot like Fist of Jaraxxus where the card had to be discarded to be effective. However UNLIKE Fist of Jaraxxus where you would have to pay 4 mana for a random target 4 damage, playing 2 mana for a 2/2 while not exactly good, is at least marginally effective. At least a body, even if small, has some use. And if nothing else you just play all your other discard cards and hope this one gets tossed so it's more effective. If you're playing zoo and you just need board presence, then I think you'll take this as a 2/2 and it will be ok. Unlike Fist of Jaraxxus which if you don't discard it can't do anything for you.

So this compares favorably to a nearly unused card... I guess it isn't exactly setting the world on fire.
It's really designed around the Quest though. You always have something for your Discard cards to Discard, and then you can play it afterwards.

You can just optionally play it earlier if you need to survive.

squidyj

cant play midrange its curvestone
cant play aggro its cancer
cant play combo its not interactive
cant play meta its netdecking.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The 7 mana card is better, curves right into Fire Elemental and creates multiple bodies with taunt.

The 9 mana card is a big bumbling idiot that gets killed by hard removal. Now if it had Spell Immunity then we might have had a card there.
This is assuming they haven't had to use removal on any of your other aggressive threats that focus on both flooding the board and making your units stronger.

Dahbomb

This is assuming they haven't had to use removal on any of your other aggressive threats that focus on both flooding the board and making your units stronger.
So.....

Like Midrange Jade Shaman which not only buffs your next played Jade Golem but every single Jade Golem in your hand and deck?

cant play midrange its curvestone
cant play aggro its cancer
cant play combo its not interactive
cant play meta its netdecking
Actual Midrange isn't curvestone but the way that 90% of midrange decks in HS are played are most definitely curvestone (ie. Hunter or Dragon Warrior). They are just slightly better aggro decks.
Aggro will always be bad in this game because of the fundamentals of HS.
The whole combo isn't interactive is a narrative pushed by Blizzard that all the fans have basically been latched on to. It's not really the fanbase's fault but Blizzard's fault for setting that criteria of interactivity. Now anything that remotely looks like a combo in the game, the fanbase will complain and Blizzard will response... this is the environment that Blizzard has created themselves.
You can play meta but it's still considered netdecking. Like that is actual facts, it's not even an opinion... if you want to play the meta then you have to netdeck.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So.....

Like Midrange Jade Shaman which not only buff your next played Jade Golem but every single Jade Golem in your hand and deck?
You're presumably focusing on killing that deck earlier, since Jades have a ramp up time, and Shaman loses their strong opener without Tunnel Trogg and Totem Golem.

This one is about burning out the last push from Aggro.

wiibomb

It's really designed around the Quest though. You always have something for your Discard cards to Discard, and then you can play it afterwards.

You can just optionally play it earlier if you need to survive.

seeing it that way makes a lot more sense, yeah.

this is the thing, this can be added to other bigger threats that can easily outvalue the opponent.

of course, there is a certain limit about how much bigger threats a deck should need to have...

this fits perfectly in an full elemental deck, but otherwise with just a couple of elementals in the deck it won't work at all.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
OMG THIS IS ADORABLE

XCJ01ELZQA5I1489970067206.png

squidyj

clearly you set up a 5/15 or 5/20 taunt as priest and then combo them on turn 10 with your minion that will absolutely always 100% stick around on board.
100% opieop

Edit: You think they used that octopus for the art for flame elemental?

ZealousD

Stone Sentinel is like a small Cenarius. I think he's pretty good. Two 2/3's with taunt is like a 4.5 mana card (think Spirit Wolves). Add another 2.5 mana for a 4/4, that's really good.

Dahbomb

I can't tell if this is a good card.

WQY39TX13A7G1489967113972.png

Seems expensive.
2/3 for Taunt is about a 2 mana card and it has elemental tag so I would say 0.2 above 2 mana depending on how strong the elementals is.

So the battlecry is worth 4.4 mana, the card itself has like a 3.5 body combining the elemental tag.

If you trigger the battlecry then you are getting 7.9 almost 8ish mana worth of stats on the board. However, the battlecry has a condition and if you don't meet the condition then it's a horrible card.

The card is balanced in an elemental deck but I feel that it could probably have been one stat higher (like say a 4/5 body) and it would've been fine too. If you get a trigger off you need more value than just 1 mana above the normal cost of the card especially at that cost.

But then you look at Dr Balanced, 6.5 mana stats that summons 2 1 mana minions so roughly 8.5-9 mana worth of stats for 7 mana with NO condition to summon and everyone can play it (so not even a class minion).

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Will have to wait to see what the Elemental tribe's overall power level is. These ones obviously aren't enough to make Elemental decks worthwhile alone.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
The 7 mana shaman card is hard to evaluate. You'd want to run it in some kind of zoo-y elemental shaman deck. With that 1/2 they revealed that should at least be possible to have an elemental to play later. Shaman seems to have a decent number of them as well, though its unclear if they are great or not.

Either way, I think this guy's interesting. Not sure if he's good yet, but I'm hopeful here.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The 7 mana shaman card is hard to evaluate. You'd want to run it in some kind of zoo-y elemental shaman deck. With that 1/2 they revealed that should at least be possible to have an elemental to play later. Shaman seems to have a decent number of them as well, though its unclear if they are great or not.

Either way, I think this guy's interesting. Not sure if he's good yet, but I'm hopeful here.

I mean, any go wide card in shaman makes me think evolve. The tokens will probably only be two mana though.

Dahbomb

Just assume that the trigger happens 100% of the time and in that case it's almost a 8 mana card for 7 mana that is a class card with a tribe effect. That's nice but not THAT nice at that stage of the game... Ancient of War for example is 7.5 mana with no condition.

Add in the condition and you slightly lower the value of the card. So even at its best it's not busted.

Dahbomb

I just realized that Magma Rager is getting double buffed in the new expansion.

It's being made into a tribe (so it's an Elemental now) AND Ice Rager is rotating out!

kvpaw.gif

Unless some of the other Elementals are really strong then the entire mechanic seems like it's going to be a bust.

Stone Sentinel and Ozruk do not have effects powerful enough to justify building around.

Fire Fly could be a decent 1 drop replacement in Shaman if there is a low mana Elemental to combo with but we'll have to wait and see. Flame Geyser doesn't seem particularly appealing for Mage.

Other than that, Clutchmother looks really good. Kind of annoying that all Blizzard wants to push is Discard Zoo though. I'm sure in their dream world they see this as some kind of control/late game card after you discard it a bunch but that's never happening.

Peléo

The elemental mechanic plays like a two turns Combo. It might be interesting and I don't think it will turn out to be curvestone as some people are claiming. Especially after seeing the Mage Card and the 1-Mana Minion.

Also, the combo of Stone Sentinel into Ozruk for a 5/20 doesn't work. It gets +5 Health for every Elemental you play, not summon. It would be a 5/10 with Taunt.

Would be cool if there was AOE card to reward playing multiple elementals:

Fake Card
9a273053.png

Fake Card

TIL Brann effects don't stack.

Stole one with Potion of Madness. I put out my own Brann and then played DrakOp, but only got 2 cards. Then I played a Jade Behemoth but it only spawned two Jades.

(I had two Emperor ticks.)

I love this line from the Blizzard article on elementals.

Some of the Elemental cards are particularly good in control decks. Notice how Stone Sentinel is a late game card that gives you two Taunt minions? Ozruk, the new Legendary Elemental, is a huge Taunt minion when played in a deck with lots of other small Elementals.

Yes, Blizzard, because Jade Druid is going to give so much of a shit about your little 2/3 taunts and the 4/4 hiding behind them lol.

Dahbomb

I didn't talk about all the previous cards that were introduced in the stream because I was at work and then when I had a time to go through them it was old news.

But they have definitely been putting out new mechanics within the cards showcased thus far or at the very least twist to older mechanics. A lot of these may not seem new if you have been playing HS but they are still new mechanics.

Quest : Obviously a very different mechanic for HS. Guarantees a card in your hand at turn 1, gives a card on meeting a specific condition.

Adapt : This is kind of a type of Discover but it's Discover that is more directly impacting minions. Usually Discover cards gave value in terms of card advantage but Adapt gives advantage on board directly through the minion itself. The card effect seems to have wider range too with that Dino card that Adapts your murlocs. Imagine if there was a card that said "Adapt all the minions in your hand" or "Adapt all minions in your deck".

The new Hunter Legendary: Whether you think this card is good or not... this is for SURE a new mechanic in the game and a potentially very powerful one at that. Imagine if this was on a card like Maexxna which had Poisonous too.... would've been sick!

Elementals : This is sort of a new mechanic because it takes into consideration the board state from the previous turn exactly. It's not like the Jade where the effect is global, it's only a turn by turn state manipulation and the effects are different from card to card. So we might have a card that gets some insane bonus if you play a certain number of Elementals in the previous turn. The two cards they showed kinda look like they are promoting curvestone because they just give you a pile of stats but imagine if there was an elemental which cleared the opponent's board if you played an elemental in the previous turn.

Tar Creeper: This is a new mechanic for HS although not new for card games (Shadowverse already has this). The minion is buffed on the opponent's turn but weaker on your own turn. In that game this mechanic was fine, good when played defensively.

The Warlock Legendary: Yeah we have had Silvergolem before but this card puts the card in your hand AND buffs it. This allows for more elaborate Discard combo where you have Malch Imp up, use Soulfire and Discard this card... then you draw into another Discard card like say Doomguard, discard this card again and keep going. Obviously the synergy with Imp is kinda nuts on the extreme end and allows the Discard Zoo to play a less feast or famine type hand where you at least have something in your hand that you can discard and not feel bad about.

The Rogue Legendary: This is a new mechanic too where a card persists on the field after death and can be revived. The Rogue one probably isn't the best way to showcase this mechanic but other cards can use this effect even better like say "After you have used 3 spells, revive this minion".

ZealousD

TIL Brann effects don't stack.

Stole one with Potion of Madness. I put out my own Brann and then played DrakOp, but only got 2 cards. Then I played a Jade Behemoth but it only spawned two Jades.

(I had two Emperor ticks.)

Yep. Brann says "twice". Not "double".

Pooya

They haven't revealed anything that can challenge jades yet, lots of cards left. If not then, you can expect bunch of jade cards to get nerfed 1-2 month into this expansion because so far it looks like they invalidate this entire value oriented idea behind this set. Jade were supposed to be slow, turns out they're not.

Like take the shaman 7 drop elemental guy, it seems pretty good, next to Jade Chieftain it doesn't seem all that good. Seems like a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom