• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Review Thread

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
hard not to take notice of these reviews, i have no idea about this game or it's previous games in the series, the trailer i saw was weird, just a guy talking to some prison guards? is there any actual gameplay?

Yeah, that's a really weird choice of trailer for the Metacritic page to have on it, it really doesn't sell the game well at all. It's half turn based RPG, half social life sim. You spend your days either socializing with people, or in dungeons; it's up to you how you spend your allotted time for the most part.
Here's a trailer showcasing the dungeon aspect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMSXMS6LnfE
And here's one showing the day-to-day life stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hOHAveOdec

Random question but does anyone know what studio do the anime cutscenes for Persona?

Production I.G.

IIRC it was Production I.G.

Yeah, that's a really weird choice of trailer for the Metacritic page to have on it, it really doesn't sell the game well at all. It's half turn based RPG, half social life sim. You spend your days either socializing with people, or in dungeons; it's up to you how you spend your allotted time for the most part.
Here's a trailer showcasing the dungeon aspect: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMSXMS6LnfE
And here's one showing the day-to-day life stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hOHAveOdec

Production I.G.

Oooh, sweet. They did GitS, didn't they?

Also...paid/ordered Take Your Heart edition via simplygames and should be here tomorrow. The long wait is almost over...

-GJ-

Is there a reason Igor has such a deep voice in P5? If so, I don't want to know the reason (although I do like to know if there is a reason for it, but after playing P3 and P4 his low voice just really freaks me out. I'm not sure it fits him.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a reason Igor has such a deep voice in P5? If so, I don't want to know the reason (although I do like to know if there is a reason for it, but after playing P3 and P4 his low voice just really freaks me out. I'm not sure it fits him.

The Japanese VA for Igor died following Persona 4, and they recast him for P5, but gave him a deeper sounding voice more befitting of the oppressive nature that the P5 Velvet Room is like. The English version followed suit and cast a similar sounding voice for consistency's sake.

SG are fantastic at getting games out before release day.

Annoyingly I can't actually play until Monday morning even if it comes tomorrow as I'm starting 3 night shifts tonight. FML!

I know, but they haven't had the game available for pre-order all week for some reason so some of us are slumming it (sad face again).

Miang

I know, but they haven't had the game available for pre-order all week for some reason so some of us are slumming it (sad face again).

Ah gutted :( must have had a spike in orders the last few days. Shopto are usually pretty quick to dispatch too, fingers crossed for you!

-GJ-

The Japanese VA for Igor died following Persona 4, and they recast him for P5, but gave him a deeper sounding voice more befitting of the oppressive nature that the P5 Velvet Room is like. The English version followed suit and cast a similar sounding voice for consistency's sake.
Thanks! So there's no story related reason then? I guess I'll get used to it :). It just freaked me out when I first heard it haha.

Chille

PlayStation Universe review by Neil Bolt
http://www.psu.com/review/32638/persona-5-review

-The Final Word-
Persona 5 may not pull up many trees in terms of innovation, but it refines and refreshes the things that make a great RPG work. The real star of the show however, is the world this RPG inhabits, and the people in it that you come to adore. Persona 5 is something to sink your entire self into, and end up feeling utterly despondent about when you finally have to leave its stylish embrace. 10/10

ChazGW7

Went out of stock on Simply Games just as I was away to order. Im gonna take that as a sign that I should finish Nier, Horizon and Nioh before buying it...

I wonder if Square Enix is looking at the response to Persona 5 right now and thinking "Hmmm, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to go turn-based again for XVI."

Hey, a man can dream.

Kalentan

Does the main character have a default name?

Cause I named the MC in P4G his canon name, Yu Narukami.

Was hoping to do the same here.

Thanks! So there's no story related reason then? I guess I'll get used to it :). It just freaked me out when I first heard it haha.

I assure you that by the end, you'll be pleased by Igor. The change in voice is indeed glaring at first but you'll see it's going to be worth it.

silva1991

I wonder if Square Enix is looking at the response to Persona 5 right now and thinking "Hmmm, maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to go turn-based again for XVI."

Hey, a man can dream.

I really hope the next game is turn based :/

I'm enjoying combat in Persona 5 way more than that half baked combat in XV.

Miang

Hey, a man can dream.

Exactly what I've been thinking.

Surely the reception for this game and praise for the battle system shows devs that there's still a huge appetite for turn based done well.

N30RYU

I still don't see Edge's 8 there, but even still when it's all said and done I expect this to be above 90.
I don't really care if it ends being a 92 a 93 or a 94... I just don't wanna surf the net and get spoiled... So I don't go near other place P5 related than this thread and MC

Yousefb

Oh Man, I am so excited for this! Soon as I wrap up Zelda I'm going to jump right into P5. I only recently got into SMT games last year and it has quickly become one of my favorite series. This will be my first Persona game and it looks like it will also become a favorite.

I'm so tempted to buy the Steelbook edition via Amazon Prime, but at the same time I do have some games I want to trade in at gamestop to buy it a cheaper price.

Also, how similar or different is this to Tokyo Mirage Sessions? I loved the battle system in that game but the overworld/dungeons were a bit lacking. Thanks!

AzureFlame

Hey, a man can dream.

unfortunately SE are after the $ and the casual market with their mainline FF games, they will not go back to turned based system because it won't sell as much as they want, if Persona 5 sells like 4 million maybe then they'll change their minds.

marmoka

Banned
We all know who will be the main GOTYs of 2017

4618e351806eb49065905a551b9fb938.jpg

unfortunately SE are after the $ and the casual market with their mainline FF games, they will not go back to turned based system because it won't sell as much as they want, if Persona 5 sells like 4 million maybe then they'll change their minds.

If the budget was more appropriate, it wouldn't matter as much.

It also depends on whoever the Director is. But is there anyone in charge of their various BD Teams that makes turn based stuff besides Toriyama having ATB on FF13? It is what it is.

Skeeter49

So excited for this. Persona 3 is one of my favorite games. Need to take this slow, I think rushing through 4 ruined some of my enjoyment.

So excited for this. Persona 3 is one of my favorite games. Need to take this slow, I think rushing through 4 ruined some of my enjoyment.

They both released like within a year in Europe and I played them both almost back to back. Definitely to the detriment of P4 in my case.

Top Bottom