• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You have three options

KarmaCow

How do you pick anything but the third? The first means you essentially die, you as a person no longer exist. The other two severely impact how you interact with the world but at least with the third you have the option of prosthetic limbs.

edit: though in the context of it happening to everyone, that makes it a toss up between two and three for society.

bosseye

I'll choose memories then. This fresh hell of an apocalypse will basically be normal as I won't have any frame of reference. I'll make new memories I suppose and they won't even be awful as I won't remember what is socially acceptable and what isn't. But then of course I'll have forgotten everything about what it means to be civilised, I won't recall that fire is a thing. I would essentially be feral living in a world of base urges, instinct, confusion and wondrous discovery.

Kneefoil

Memories. It would suck to not remember my family or friends, or having to re-learn all the skills I've forgotten, but ultimately that's still less harmful than the other options by a pretty large margin, IMO. I can create new memories and connections, and I have the ability to re-learn things.

Going blind and deaf at the same time would be super scary, and I wouldn't know how to get help because although I could probably find my neighbours or something, but they would either not have their memories, in which case they wouldn't know how to help me, they might not have their eyesight and hearing, in which case both of us would have a hard time communicating with the other, or they would have no limbs, in which case they can do pretty much nothing but speak, but that wouldn't really help me because I can't hear them. I guess a person with no memory and someone with memory, but no limbs could work together to help others, but if the amnesiac can't even remember language, then that's going to be difficult, too.

I do think that eventually humanity would get their shit together as amnesiacs re-learn things, but it would definitely be a major blow to the society, probably even leading to many deaths.

Ugh, I hate all those options. Memory and history, I guess? Will I just wake up and not know who I am/was or will I be like a new born baby or something?

Either way, I don't want to lose my sight or hearing especially, and I definitely want to keep my arms and legs.

Losing memories seems super dumb, it's the same as dying.

Also how would you be able to know to eat to even survive? Or what's dangerous or not? You'll be dead in hours.

You have no knowledge-base to draw from to survive.

Not that the other choices are better. Those without limbs will also die soon.

The dead and blind people could survive the longest but that mental isolation would also lead to death.

Basically the best thing is to go deaf and blind find a blade and slit your wrist. Why unless a body with no mind upon the already broken world.

typist

Lets pretend that everyone in the world suddenly collapsed unconscious. An omnipotent being tells you all "when you wake up you will lose something."

He gives you three options:
-Lose all memory and evidence of your history
-Lose your Sight and Hearing
-Lose your arms and legs

What do you chose? How chaotic would the world become?

Edit: to clarify and balance the options more.
Edit 2: choices are individual, so some people will be blind and deaf while others will be without limbs and many without memories.
Do you think society could get back on its feet?

The people you love would probably qualify as "evidence of your history" so not the first option. If the people you love don't die then the first option is easily the best, because they could soon fill you in on the details and mostly clear things up

Prosthetic arms and legs are getting better all the time but it would still be pretty bad, maybe not as bad as losing sight and hearing though

Fliesen

Losing memories seems super dumb, it's the same as dying.

Also how would you be able to know to eat to even survive? Or what's dangerous or not? You'll be dead in hours.

You have no knowledge-base to draw from to survive.

Not that the other choices are better. Those without limbs will also die soon.

The dead and blind people could survive the longest but that mental isolation would also lead to death.

Basically the best thing is to go deaf and blind find a blade and slit your wrist. Why unless a body with no mind upon the already broken world.

Uhm, i doubt that. Humans still have instincts (don't eat / drink what you don't know) and are rather risk averse. Like, just because you lost your memories of what cars are, you wouldn't just walk into traffic. You're still wired to not get in the path of a big, fast moving object.

To me, this is a rather easy choice - option 1. Restart my life with full mental and physical capabilities going forward.
Not because i don't value the memories i have made so far, but rather because i'm not even half way through my life, so i'll still be able to relearn a whole bunch of stuff, while at the same time not being limited in the experiences i make in the future.

Given choice 1, there would certainly be some bedlam in certain parts of the world. If we're talking about standard "Personal Memories gone, but skills and knowledge remain" media, the developed world would likely be back on its feet (though with a fresh outlook on the world) in a few weeks at most, thanks to the internet and social media presences. It's basically a matter of someone going "hey, this is who we were!" And people will figure things out.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
How strong a memory wipe are we talking, are we going back to zero where we dont even know how to read and speak in full sentences yet?

Farsi

If this were to just happen to you, none of the options are that bad because we have a caregiver system in place for the disabled but since this happens to everyone holy shit.

I would pick 2 and pray I luck into killing myself.

besada

Banned
Sight and hearing. Hopefully my wife chooses arms and legs, and then we can function as a team, hiding from the horde of animal humans who don't even know how to wipe their own asses. I'll carry her around, while she indicates direction via touch. If we manage to get somewhere safe, we'll work out a code, and eventually I'll learn braille. Of course it's more likely that we'll be killed and eaten by the animal humans. At least we'll know who we are until we die.

Xe4

Banned
Definitely memory. It'd be shitty loosing it all, but not as bad as option 2/3. I think most would choose 1 as well, and that'd be an interesting time.

Plus, we'd probably not have Trump as president any more, and I'd have no memory of him. Win win.

As for if society could get back on its feet? Yeah, eventually. We've come closer to the abyss than that as a species. Probably not in my lifetime though. It'd take hundreds of years to happen naturally.

Eusis

If I at least had a leg up on memories/knowledge and basically only needed to relearn specialized or advanced knowledge while remembering, say, language, most math, and just whatever I'd take for granted, while not remembering WHO I am then I'd pick that. Otherwise I'll either abuse this thing to stay in a dream state forever or go with senses since at least I won't be taunted by seeing what I can't touch.

*edit. Didn’t realize it was everyone else. Then yeah... memories. There would be no social structure to assist me with either of the other two. At least the world could have a reset of sorts with 1.

Lautaro

Shit, I'm not suicidal at all but I guess I would pick the one that let's me kill myself easier.

What a shit group of options. Even surviving let's you living in a shit world.

What even makes you think of this?

What level of memory loss are we talking here?

Would I wake up as an infant in a grown body and slowly starve to death not understanding what's happening to me? The blind people scramble to find the source of the screams. Those with no arms or legs look on in horror as they starve with full cognitive abilities.

McLovin

It’s tough, it would suck forgetting my late mother. Even though thinking about her (how she died and her last years) makes me sad and depressed. But it’s like Bernard quote from Westworld, “this pain is all I have left of him”(her in my case) I don’t think I could give her up.

RalchAC

How do you pick anything but the third? The first means you essentially die, you as a person no longer exist. The other two severely impact how you interact with the world but at least with the third you have the option of prosthetic limbs.

edit: though in the context of it happening to everyone, that makes it a toss up between two and three for society.

Society will crumble and be destroyed as it is. The other two options will completely destroy the economy and make any country with strong social services to either go bankrupt or drastically step back on social benefits. So we may as well see society collapse as a whole.

In order to guarantee my survival in a future that could go to shit, I'd rather have both my limbs and senses. I could perfectly see a fascist like movement rising and taking the world be the storm, saying we must get rid of those who don't have any way to produce.

Crispy75

Arms and Legs

In a world where ~1/3 of the people need robot arms and legs, the drive to improve prosthetic limbs will be immense. So long as teams of limbless/eyeless/memoryless people can cooperate well enough on the science of it all, that's my choice.

Robot eyes and ears aren't too far away either, but imperfect versions are less bearable than imperfect limbs.

Once we're all cyborgs, half of us can care for the poor people who need counselling for their memory issues, and the other half can wage war on this cunt of a god who did this.

OK so if this happened the world is fucked. Asuming everyone makes an idividual choice:

Enough people would choose memory to the point society breaks down and at least for a while the world becomes post apocalyptical (although that would happen no matter what with these options). If that happens anyone without arms & legs or sight / hearing is basically dead. Survival of the fittest will see that. When the gangs murder and pillage they will be the first to die.

The only logical choice is memory and then up your survival skills to the max.

Verelios

Memories. There's a reason we log everything, and in this age I could probably hop on my computer and be back to prime motherfucking me in a week.

FrsDvl

Sight and hearing, i can stay at home in bed. And i would get paid welfare at the same time, so eventually i'll save up enough to get new eyeballs and ears.

You wouldn't be able to read.

Even if you could it wouldnt be the same. We have emotions and feelings attached to real memories. Read what you apparently did would be like knowing what someone else did. You would have those memories back though.

You could read that this person is your spouse, but that doesnt make the emotional attatchment comeback.

You may as well choose memory and accept the fact that you basically died and now you are someone else.

Ethelwulf

Loosing all your memories is like dying and being reborn while the others are being trapped until dying. I choose memories :/

-Lose all memory and evidence of your history

That isn't nearly as disabling as the other issues and this option effectively is a life reset.

Ferr986

Ehhh, i guess memory- I cant' function without arms and legs, and although maybe I could as a blind and deaf guy, getting blind is one of my biggest fears, I don't think I could handle it... so yeah, press that reset button.

World would be fucked no matter what...

Top Bottom